UPDATED: MagicBands will NOT be coming to Disneyland

2. AP and DAS cards are still required at WDW, so this would not go away.
I can't speak for the DAS card, but you did not need to show your AP to gain entrance to a theme park. The AP was linked to the MDE account, which was linked to the MB. You did need to show your AP for shopping and dining discounts, so, yes, you would still need to carry it with you, but there were significantly fewer times when I needed to get it out of my wallet while in the parks.

6. How would they create FP+ lines in FL, unless they eliminated SB altogether? Also, everyone is suggesting central kiosks, but where? The only place I see this fitting would be in the esplanade between the parks.
This is too drastic...I highly doubt they are not going to eliminate SB lines. Line queues can be modified and adjusted. Any line that splits at some point can be easily adapted for FP+. Just because the line doesn't look set-up for FP at this point, I don't think it's all that hard to re-configure lines if that is the route they opt to go.

I agree with Jennafoo that at this point, we don't know how DLR will implement MB and/or FP+. We can hope for the best, that they'll take the parts of the system that seem to work fairly well from WDW and improve/tweak those that might not before implementing them at DLR. Nothing in the articles indicated how the system or what components will be implemented, so at this point, it's all guessing.

Please re-read what I said. These are things the technology CAN do. Right now, it's new and isn't as widespread as it can be. But it's getting there. Disney is really investing for the future in this technology.

And I'm not just making this up. I actually know the technology and how it's being implemented across the board.

I'm just trying to get people to see that there's more to this than FP+...
I still don't see these things as profoundly beneficial to society nor to the Disney guest. I know you work in the industry, but this is a benefit to the companies not the consumers. All of these new-fangled payment methods are designed to make spending easier. They are designed to fool the unwary consumer into spending more.
You act like this is great, but I don't share your enthusiasm.

I still don't see these things as profoundly beneficial to society nor to the Disney guest. I know you work in the industry, but this is a benefit to the companies not the consumers. All of these new-fangled payment methods are designed to make spending easier. They are designed to fool the unwary consumer into spending more.

Oh, YES....they absolutely are. No arguments there. As the technology becomes more pervasive, we're going to have to become more "wary", because there's no doubt that the easier they make it for you to pay for something, the more you'll spend. That's proven. (Remember what I said about Starbucks? I have had to really become strict about it, because it was sooo easy to just add money to my card via Paypal and fritter that money away with a flick of my phone.)

And if you're Disney and in the business of making money, that's precisely what you want. Which is why I said the Holy Grail for them is actually NOT FP+; it's getting you to hook up your debit card and buy things with just a simple wave of your fist! :)

And let's not even talk about privacy and how easy it's become for companies to track your every movement.

As with any innovations, there's a dark side. But the POSSIBILITIES of the technology, you have to admit, are pretty exciting. It can literally open doors. :)

Thus goes progress...

Oh, YES....they absolutely are. No arguments there. As the technology becomes more pervasive, we're going to have to become more "wary", because there's no doubt that the easier they make it for you to pay for something, the more you'll spend. That's proven. (Remember what I said about Starbucks? I have had to really become strict about it, because it was sooo easy to just add money to my card via Paypal and fritter that money away with a flick of my phone.)

And if you're Disney and in the business of making money, that's precisely what you want. Which is why I said the Holy Grail for them is actually NOT FP+; it's getting you to hook up your debit card and buy things with just a simple wave of your fist! :)

And let's not even talk about privacy and how easy it's become for companies to track your every movement.

As with any innovations, there's a dark side. But the POSSIBILITIES of the technology, you have to admit, are pretty exciting. It can literally open doors. :)

Thus goes progress...

I don't know. If you get a chance, watch the show Black Mirror. Honestly, I'm seeing more negatives than positives at this point.

Pandora's Box, man... Can't stuff it back in.

Back to the original point, though, hopefully they'll be able to take the learnings around FP+ and do better when it rolls out at DLR.

I personally (and many in the industry agree with me) think they made a huge mistake by rolling FP+ out with the MB technology. Now the two are inextricably linked in peoples' minds and thus the panic about something that COULD be helpful...

We just went to WDW this past June. It is 6 MONTHS ahead of time to know what park you would be in and where you wanted to eat and when! :scared1:

Overall, the MBs were fine at WDW. I would not mind having them at DLR, but not FP+. You could still take your MB to the FP kiosk and get your paperless FP without reserving it months ahead of time and I hope that's what they do instead. That would keep the spontaneity of DLR but loose the hassle of the little pieces of paper. MDE could be used for restaurants and shows only.

I also want to point out that the article (the second one linked- the first one wouldn't let me read it) that is is Len Testa who said to look for in 2016. He doesn't work for Disney and isn't making any statements for them. He is just speculating. I didn't see Disney give a year.

I totally agree. I do not want FP+, it was SUCH A PAIN in WDW, it did not work for our family and I hope they don't ruin Disneyland with it. I didn't really have any opinion on the bands either way, they weren't helpful for us, nor did they bother me. I will try to wait to freak out until we have more info ;)

Again, I really think people should consider what figment_jii has been saying: MagicBands and FP+ are two separate things. They could bring the former to DL and not the latter. I have a slightly different perspective, because I work in the financial industry, and have seen the tremendous trajectory of mobile and hands free payments. There's plenty of data suggesting people spend more when they don't have to have a card or cash (I know my Starbucks spending went WAY up when I started paying with my phone). Disney is considered a leader in that they're willing to invest NOW in a technology that will pay dividends down the road. The ability to link a credit card to the band has always been a goal, even though they're not quite there yet. And personally, if all I had to carry into the parks was my phone and a wristband, I'd be one happy camper. Think about the kinds of things that could be on the band and make a DL trip EASIER: *AP cards and tickets could go away *PhotoPass and ride photos activated with your band *DAS cards attached to your band (no more cheating or people writing in new times on their cards) *Pay for your meal or purchase with the band *No more forgetting your AP discount if you have an AP and pay with the band; it could be automatic *Technically, they could keep the STRUCTURE of the current FP system while just using a swipe to load it. *Faster entry and less bag check Point is that this technology is incredibly adaptable, and doesn't have to mean the end of DLR as we know it. If the lessons from WDW are learned - and the unique demographics of DLR are taken into account - the technology has a lot of potential. (PS: They're going to have to upgrade all the credit card machines in late 2015 and early 2016 anyway when the United States goes to CHIP and PIN technology rather than magnetic credit cards. So, this is more likely the impetus for them implementing MBs around that time.)

If this is how it's implemented I'd be 100% okay with it. Especially with photopass+ being linked...as my kids are getting older, and we travel with my parents sometimes, it would be AWESOME to have the current FP system, photopass, and AP all linked.

Pandora's Box, man... Can't stuff it back in.

Back to the original point, though, hopefully they'll be able to take the learnings around FP+ and do better when it rolls out at DLR.

I personally (and many in the industry agree with me) think they made a huge mistake by rolling FP+ out with the MB technology. Now the two are inextricably linked in peoples' minds and thus the panic about something that COULD be helpful...
Tatally agree. I don't care if MB's come to DLR. I'm ambivalent. I do care if FP+ comes to DLR. When I used it at WDW I kept saying to myself, at least it's not at DLR. :sad1:

I'd be fine with the whole thing (or at least more accepting) if they kept FP the way it is currently regarding how many you can do in a day. No tiering, no pre selecting three. Implement a strong enough network (finally) and I wouldn't even mind running it through my phone. Keep the majority or at least a bunch of dining spots open for day of walk ins and in fact I'd be a downright happy camper. The band has never been my guff with the system - in fact I like it a lot more than fumbling with tickets, paper FPs and asking for AP discounts as others have said.

I totally agree. I do not want FP+, it was SUCH A PAIN in WDW, it did not work for our family and I hope they don't ruin Disneyland with it. I didn't really have any opinion on the bands either way, they weren't helpful for us, nor did they bother me. I will try to wait to freak out until we have more info ;)
Now that's the spirit man!

;) :)

And personally, if all I had to carry into the parks was my phone and a wristband, I'd be one happy camper. Think about the kinds of things that could be on the band and make a DL trip EASIER.

Agreed! And very well said. BUT......do not forget to bring Kleenex too. ;) No, really! :)

There are two different strategies for FP+ at WDW. One is to stack all of your FPs for first thing in the morning and then try to get additional FPs after that. The other strategy is to slate your FPs for the busier time of the day (e.g., mid-afternoon) and wait in the SB lines at opening. I think both strategies have their benefits and their drawbacks and it ultimately depends on how you prefer to tour the parks. Given that I now know that the most popular attractions probably won't have FPs left by the afternoon, and that my family isn't always going to make rope drop, I would probably opt to use the second strategy. Slate FP+ reservations for mid-afternoon and evening and ride standby in the morning, when the lines are generally shorter.

We used the second strategy in August, and it was great! I'm in the minority and actually like the Magic Bands AND Fast pass +. I don't enjoy running around getting fast passes the old fashioned way and having to go back to that area later. I like to move around the park in an orderly fashion and go from one end to another, rather than running around all over the place back and forth. AND it IS especially great if you are arriving late or can't make rope drop. You can have fast passes ready to go the minute you walk into the park - even if it's at the busiest time of day. I can see why people don't like it, but I do!

What comes to mind is Roz from Monsters Inc. "Always watching Wazowski.....always watching." With magic bands and FP+ , " they" will always know where the crowds are, where money is being spent, and essentially EVERYTHING about your day at the parks. . It's packaged as convenient for us but also convenient for them.

Ultimately, however they have acknowledged that the same model will not work for the spontaneous local crowd that visits DLR. WDW has worked out the kinks and we can only hope that it will be a smooth transition for us here in DLR. Fingers crossed!

What comes to mind is Roz from Monsters Inc. "Always watching Wazowski.....always watching." With magic bands and FP+ , " they" will always know where the crowds are, where money is being spent, and essentially EVERYTHING about your day at the parks. . It's packaged as convenient for us but also convenient for them.

Ultimately, however they have acknowledged that the same model will not work for the spontaneous local crowd that visits DLR. WDW has worked out the kinks and we can only hope that it will be a smooth transition for us here in DLR. Fingers crossed!
I don't know about the kink thing. I'm still seeing posts about the website not working so people can't access MDE. When they go on, they're being told their account doesn't exist. I'm also seeing reports of the app quitting while people are in the parks. It's better than it was but there are problems. Also, CM's are still telling guests MDE and FP+ is in Beta testing.
I'm just hoping they have the bugs worked out before they start implementation at DLR.

I don't mind the magic bands....I think they are cute and I have all the colors now.
I also don't mind FP+. It worked well for us.
We have been to WDW 4 times since it was implemented and it has worked fine all of those trips. Easy to change times as needed and also attractions....with the exception of the headliners.

Even if DLR does implement FP+, it won't be as bad as WDW if they do the 60 day thing for on site guests only like at WDW. There are A LOT less on site guests at DLR, so less FP would go ahead of time for a given day, meaning more would be available at the kiosks at park open. At WDW there are so many resorts that most people visiting the park on a given day probably could have made their FP+ picks 60 days in advance...
This is an excellent point

Okay I didn't read 8 pages of threads completely and just sort of skimmed....

We just got back from a trip to Disney World and enjoyed the Magicband and MyMagic+. It was really nice to just flash the wristband and pay for things or use it as our Key to the World card.

Fastpass+ wasn't terrible - but we found it stressful because we had to clockwatch to make sure we didn't miss our time. We actually missed our Spaceship Earth fastpass because it took 90 minutes to get to EPCOT from AKL on Christmas morning. As Disneyland is like 80% locals, I cannot fathom how this would work here if it was implemented - no more relaxed and random fastpass selections :(

Granted the article only says that it's MyMagic+... but it would be great if the bands work in BOTH theme parks since we have the Premier Pass and would be awesome to only manage one magic band at a time.

I just returned from WDW yesterday and hated Fastpass +. First, my dh and I were screaming at each other to get out and to the park in time to ride things. As a DL passholder, that is not how we do things.
We decide to go, then decide what we want to ride when we get there. Disney is going to have to make changes for DLR. There will be no more riding a big attractions 3 times in a row with Fastpass +! I do not want to return to WDW this summer , but must because I bought the Premier pass. If they install Fastpass + like it is at WDW, this may be it for my DLR annual pass. (I have always had a premium)
Please think before installing this Disney!

Is there any indication that Disney will include FP+? The dynamics at DLR are so different that I can't imagine how FP+ will help anyone. MyMagic itself isn't so bad (when it works) but FP+ in DLR just seems ludicrous.

Is there any indication that Disney will include FP+? The dynamics at DLR are so different that I can't imagine how FP+ will help anyone. MyMagic itself isn't so bad (when it works) but FP+ in DLR just seems ludicrous.
I think it's all speculation at this point. The funny thing is that I see a lot of posts saying, " Maybe it won't be as bad as WDW" Kind of telling isn't it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter