Updated Canada/US Border Rules Announced 19 July 2021

PalmettoPath

WDW Since 03/72
The Trudeau government just announced updated border rules for the Canada/US travel.

International Travelers
On September 7, travelers from any country will be allowed to enter Canada, however, they must be fully vaccinated (with a Canadian approved vaccine) at least 14 days before entering Canada.

U.S. Travelers
On August 9, U.S. citizens and permanent residents will be allowed to enter Canada for non-essential purposes (e.g. travel). They also must be fully vaccinated at least 14 days before entering the country (with a Canadian approved vaccine). They must be arriving from the United States. Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers will not be required to quarantine for 14 days UNLESS they test positive at the airport due to random testing that will be done. In this case, they must have a 14-day quarantine plan in place. They must provide proof of a negative Covid test taken with 72 hours of entry and must use the ArriveCan test.

They noted that the U.S. has not made a reciprocal announcement at this time. Hopefully this will come soon.

Starting August 9, Canada will switch to a random testing protocol at the airport upon entering Canada. They said this will help them to focus on unvaccinated individuals.

They also said 14-day quarantines will still apply, along with day 1 and day 8 testing.

Last edited:
An important note:

WHile you still need to get a negative test within 72 hours before being allowed entry, as part of this Bill Blair specifically noted that if you're going down to the US for less than 72 hours (like for a day trip or whatever) you can get your test done in Canada. So for example, you have a test done in Canada, go down to the US for your day or two, then come back the test you took in Canada is fine (as long as it's within the 72 hour window they need).

Last edited:
As of Aug. 9, children under 12 — who aren't yet approved to receive a vaccine — will be exempt from the quarantine requirement after entering Canada and can move around with their parents if they follow public health measures.
Those children should avoid group settings such as school, camps and daycares.

An important note:

You still need to get a negative test within 72 hours before being allowed entry. As part of this, Bill Blair specifically noted that if you're going down to the US for less than 72 hours (like for a day trip or whatever) you can get your test done in Canada. So for example, you have a test done in Canada, go down to the US for your day or two, then come back the test you took in Canada is fine (as long as it's within the 72 hour window they need).

So, if I want to cross the border to go shopping for a few hours or go see my orthodontist, I have to have a test done here in Canada 72 hours in advance? What's more, do I have to pay for that test?

So, if I want to cross the border to go shopping for a few hours or go see my orthodontist, I have to have a test done here in Canada 72 hours in advance? What's more, do I have to pay for that test?

Yes currently that would be the case. Also note that the US has its own testing requirements that would include you getting a test anyway. As far as I know, that hasn't changed.

i did not see this???? Do those children under 12 still need to get the 72 hour pre entry test????

Thanks for posting!

I'm disappointed that the 72hr test is still required for vaccinated people, but I'm still holding out that it will change soon and hope that eventually, the arrival test is the only requirement for vaccinated people.

My cancellation dates for everything is this Friday unfortunately. So I cannot wait for a last minute change on this, was really hoping that the 72 hour test went away today. super bummed.

My cancellation dates for everything is this Friday unfortunately. So I cannot wait for a last minute change on this, was really hoping that the 72 hour test went away today. super bummed.

So sorry...
Can you move it later? I have a trip planned in Dec which I thought was safe, but now I think I'll need to change it again.

On the bright side...we're heading in the right direction and I'm okay if it's taking longer...hate the idea of backtracking...

Yes currently that would be the case. Also note that the US has its own testing requirements that would include you getting a test anyway. As far as I know, that hasn't changed.

I really hope the test requirements drop soon. They really need to come up with something better for day trippers.

I have to say I'm shocked we beat the US to this. I figured they would open up before us.

We're still going ahead with ours (2nd week of August). The 72 hour test is just a necessary evil for the return.

I must say, for fully vaccinated travelers, keeping the testing requirements of 72 hours before entering, 72 hours before returning, is very disappointing. What exactly is the change? Dropping (for most) the on-arrival take home test? That was easily the least stressful and intrusive part.

IMHO this doesn't help at all.

I really hope the test requirements drop soon. They really need to come up with something better for day trippers.

I have to say I'm shocked we beat the US to this. I figured they would open up before us.
I felt the same way about the U.S. side. It will be interesting to see if they announce something soon and try to beat the August 9 date.

My guess is that Canada was willing to make the step of opening with proof of vaccine whereas the US does not want to require that. Without requiring proof of vaccine they may want to wait longer before opening completely. Hoping this at least puts a bit of pressure on them to do something.

I must say, for fully vaccinated travelers, keeping the testing requirements of 72 hours before entering, 72 hours before returning, is very disappointing. What exactly is the change? Dropping (for most) the on-arrival take home test? That was easily the least stressful and intrusive part.

The bolded part we specifically don't know about yet. It will depend on what the US decides to do (if anything) to change that requirement.

So sorry...
Can you move it later? I have a trip planned in Dec which I thought was safe, but now I think I'll need to change it again.

On the bright side...we're heading in the right direction and I'm okay if it's taking longer...hate the idea of backtracking...
I have a trip planned to California for Christmas, but this is the second year in a row cancelling our orlando trip, just very dissapointing. If my daughter was over 12 i wouldn't be nervous as she'd be vaccinated, and with projections that 6 to 12 year olds will be able to be vaccinated by october i'm not nervous for that trip, but for this one, with the risk of her testing positive (i understand any of us could theoretically, just chance is much lower) and not being able to come home, there is NO way I could enjoy that vacation at all thinking about this the whole time. it was a 16 day trip, 11 at Disney, 5 at Universal.

It's because it doesn't cost the government any money for you to get the 72 hour one but they were providing the on arrival test for free. They cut out the one they pay for.

My sister lives in Florida . Fully vacced. She had an outdoor party for my nephew last weekend for his birthday. She gets a call two days later from an adult who came to the party .. he’s a surgeon, has to test daily for work, he is fully vaccinated but tested POSITIVE. Now everyone is getting tested. You can still contract the virus and spread it when fully vaccinated . THAT is why it is still necessary to test at this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter