Universal Studios Hollywood VIP Experience Review - May 2023

Nike4000

Mouseketeer
Last week our family of 4 enjoyed a fun-filled day at Universal Studios Hollywood (5/20/2023). We upgraded to the VIP experience and we can honestly say we'll never visit Universal Studios without doing the VIP tour. It was AMAZING!

When we booked the tour, we had to select a time. We chose 9:45 am because we were spending the two prior days at Disneyland (you can read my Disneyland VIP Experience review HERE) and wanted to sleep in. The night before we switched hotels from Disney's Grand Californian Resort to the Hilton Los Angeles /Universal City because we wanted to be close to Universal. Since our hotel was a 5 minute walk from the entrance to Universal Studios, we slept in and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at our hotel. The tickets said to arrive about 30 minutes before our reserved time, so we walked over shortly after 9.

After getting through security, there is a separate check in area for the VIP experience to the right of the ticket booths and it was fantastic. A Universal employee took my tickets, handed me our VIP lanyards and ponchos, and told me our guide would be Patrick T. We were then sent upstairs to wait for our tour to start. OMG! Upstairs there was a small but well stocked buffet of breakfast foods, drinks, water bottles, and comfy couches & chairs to relax on. Had I known the level of food that would be available (the stuff we read said "snacks"), we would have skipped breakfast at the hotel and just eaten in the VIP lounge. It was plentiful and very tasty.

About 10 minutes before our tour was supposed to leave, a man came around asking if we were in Patrick T.'s group (I include "T" because there is another VIP guide named Patrick). We confirmed, he introduced himself, and then told us to meet him on the patio outside. After gathering the rest of the group, 12 guests total, Patrick T. laid out the plan for the day = rides, rides, and more rides; then lunch; then the studio tour, more rides if we have time, and finally the Waterworld Stunt Show. Let me tell you - he NAILED that plan. That is exactly what we did!

We started off going all the way down the escalators to the lower area and hit the rides there. Yes, we visited Super Nintendo World and used the VIP entrance to the Mario Kart ride. All the while Patrick T. was telling us all sorts of tips and tricks to maximizing our Super Nintendo World experience. Things like - look for the "M" on the walls for special stickers. Or, to find the hidden lookout with binoculars and zoom in on things to earn extra bonuses. He talked us through the Power Up bands you can buy and how to use them. My son & I had purchased bands at Universal City Walk the night before, so we were already collecting coins as soon as we stepped into Super Nintendo World!

We rode on just about every ride you'd want to go on - The Mummy, Jurassic World, Harry Potter, Transformers, everything. No waiting, straight to the front of the line with our VIP lanyards.

Eventually, around 12:50, we ended up at the Moulin Rouge where we had a completely private, all-you-care-to-eat buffet lunch. The food was fantastic! Best meal we had on our entire trip - by a mile! I ate more chocolate chip cookies than any 1 person should eat. Did I mention that the cookies are sitting on a warming tray so they're fresh, warm, and soft? Sodas, lemonade, water bottles, whatever you wanted to drink was available. Bathrooms were limited - only 2 for the entire group, but we made due. The entire buffet lunch is included in the VIP experience price. Totally worth it for the high quality of food and the ability to escape the crowd. Dracula & Lucy Riccardo stopped by to say "Hi" while we were eating.

After lunch we made our way to the tour. Did we go on the normal tram with everyone else? Oh no - we went on a special air conditioned trolley that had ice cold water bottles available in a cooler. We merged with another tour group, so there were 24 total guests. Our guide Patrick T. took the mic and gave a FANTASTIC tour for the first half. The trolley stopped a couple of times along the route and we were able to get out and explore. In the Downtown/Brownstone area, we got to walk around touch the buildings, and surrounding elements while Patrick explained how they swap out the bricks to get the desired location appearance. We walked around the grassy area outside of the courthouse from Back to the Future. Another stop was "Wisteria Lane" from Desperate Housewives. Yup, we got to look in the windows and see that they're just facades, trample the grass, and stand under the shade trees while we learned about some of the tricks used to make neighborhoods look different or bigger on film. My favorite stop was at the Edith Head Prop Warehouse, where we got to walk around the warehouse and see different things that were used in numerous shows & movies.

The trolley still did the usual tram things, like Jaws, Earthquake, etc., but it was just a nice small group of us instead of a big impersonal tram. This was the first time that I'd taken the studio tour that I really enjoyed that part of the experience. Maybe it's because I'm older, or maybe it's because it was totally personalized to our small group. Either way, it was loads of fun.

After our trolley tour came to an end we hit a couple of more rides that we had missed in the morning, like the Simpsons ride. We also rode a few rides that Patrick said were not nearly as fun - like The Secret Life of Pets ride. Not exactly exhilarating or anything, but a fun time to sit down and look around.

Finally, we made our way to the Waterworld Stunt Show where we had reserved VIP seats in the best part of the stadium. We could see everything! Loads of fun & we didn't get wet at all!

After the show, we met up with Patrick for one last time. We tried to tip him, but he refused it. His knowledge and personality had more than earned a tip and I will figure out some way to get him his money.

The day wasn't over though! It was around 5pm or so and we still had our VIP lanyards. You see, unlike at Disneyland where the VIP experience ends when the guide is done, at Universal you get to use your VIP badge for the rest of the day. So, my son and I made our way to Super Nintendo World while my wife & daughter headed for Harry Potter. We rode Mario Kart multiple times in under 30 minutes while the ladies just kept walking on to the Harry Potter ride. It was freakin' amazing! Want to go on a ride? Sure, just show your VIP badge, skip the line, and walk on. It was the best thing ever!

I said it earlier, I won't go to Universal Studios without a VIP experience booked. In fact, my wife & her sisters are going to the Universal Studios in Orlando later this year & they've already booked the VIP experience for their trip. It's money well spent!

Speaking of money, how much did it cost? Grand total for 4 adult VIP tickets was $1,716. We tried to tip Patrick T. $200, but he wouldn't take it. I highly recommend Patrick T. as a guide. I keep referencing his last initial because there is another tour guide named Patrick.

That's about it. I'll answer any questions you have about the day. I'm sure I'm leaving important details out.

Quick edit - we did not get to try the food at Toadstool Café in Super Nintendo World because it was booked all day for a private event. We ate dinner at places around the park and it was nowhere near as good as our VIP lunch.

Last edited:
Great review, thank you! Is the VIP cost in addition to regular tickets, or does it replace the need for a park ticket? Seems like a great cost when you compare it to the Disneyland cost! (Also - interesting about tipping!)

Great review, thank you! Is the VIP cost in addition to regular tickets, or does it replace the need for a park ticket? Seems like a great cost when you compare it to the Disneyland cost! (Also - interesting about tipping!)
Nope, USH VIP tickets are all inclusive (I believe including valet parking!) and range between like $369 to $500 per person depending on the day and season. It is a *wildly* good deal and the guides are always fantastic. (I’ve been about five times over the years. Wonder if this is something new with the tips, they always have accepted $20-$40 tip from me [I do it discreetly] for a solo or with a +1.)

@lilsonicfan - the $1,716 we paid for 4 was inclusive of our park admission, so it's a pretty darn good deal over all.

@AndrewC - Thanks! I forgot to mention that the VIP experience includes parking as we didn't have a car, we just walked from the hotel next door.

This is SO super helpful. I think you answered all my questions about the Universal VIP experience! We are a Disney family (live 1.5hrs from WDW, AP, DVC) and are going to DL in Nov but of course the kids wanted to check out the new Super Nintendo land. I read about reservations and how busy it was so was looking into VIP to determine if you still get time there in the tour and if you could go back after so really appreciate all the information. It does sound like the way to go. Again, much appreciated!

This is SO super helpful. I think you answered all my questions about the Universal VIP experience! We are a Disney family (live 1.5hrs from WDW, AP, DVC) and are going to DL in Nov but of course the kids wanted to check out the new Super Nintendo land. I read about reservations and how busy it was so was looking into VIP to determine if you still get time there in the tour and if you could go back after so really appreciate all the information. It does sound like the way to go. Again, much appreciated!
If you’re booking a fair early tour, when you make the reservation, call in immediately after and politely ask if you can be assigned to a group that is doing the studio back lot tour before lunch. That way you get that done (HAVE to be with the guide for that part), then later in the afternoon you can pull your guide aside and mention that your group is going to break off to go redo some stuff. They don’t mind as long as you let them know so their head count isn’t t messed up. I wouldn’t abuse that by ditching the group at like 10am, but if it’s towards the end of the tour and they mention they’re only doing one or two more things you certainly can ditch out a little early. I usually have to do that during HHN season because the park closes at like 5pm and the tours don’t start till like 9:45am… I usually break off on my own around 3:30 or 4 and can do one or two rides like two or three times again.

Reactions: ngl
@ngl - yeah, with the VIP lanyard you can just waltz right in to Super Nintendo World while the regular ticket holders need to schedule a time. Plus, the Mario Kart ride has a special VIP line that's a bit shorter than the Express pass line (not by much though). As I mentioned, you can do the Mario Kart ride again and again - if you choose to do so.

@AndrewC - Interesting, didn't know that was a thing. We wanted the whole VIP experience from start to finish, but if we were going back, I'd definitely follow your strategy. Makes even more sense for HHN season! Thanks for the tip!

@Nike4000, how is the walkway from the Hilton you mentioned to the park? I ask because our group of 8 will be staying there in August and also have the VIP planned. Anyway, my mom can't do steps nor walk long distances so I'll be pushing her in a wheelchair. Everything I've been able to see online shows that the walkway has several steps. Is that the case?

@Nike4000, how is the walkway from the Hilton you mentioned to the park? I ask because our group of 8 will be staying there in August and also have the VIP planned. Anyway, my mom can't do steps nor walk long distances so I'll be pushing her in a wheelchair. Everything I've been able to see online shows that the walkway has several steps. Is that the case?

I believe there is a way to make the walk without encountering steps, but we did not take it. The path is a pretty steep incline to get to the park entry, and then would be a treacherous downhill to navigate returning to the hotel. The hotel has a very nice free shuttle bus that is wheelchair capable that would be a fantastic alternative option. It stops at Universal City Walk, but that's a super short wheelchair-friendly walk to the park entrance. The shuttle also stops at the Sheraton next to the Hilton.

Thanks so much for the info! The shuttle it is I guess. Also many thanks for the original post. As I mentioned, we're going to be doing the VIP in August and that post covered all the questions I had about it. Really looking forward to it!

There are some other things not mentioned, at least during the times I have done the VIP tour:

1) The guide will hold on to your backpacks, instead of having you use lockers on some of the rides (Mummy, Jurassic park, and HP Forbidden Journey).

2) If there is someone in your group that doesn't want to ride an attraction, the rest of the group can go on and you can wait, even if it's just your kids. For example, if you get sick on Forbidden Journey, but your kid wants to ride, as long as they meet the requirements and are ok going with the guide, that will work. The guide will typically ask on each ride whether there is anyone that doesn't want to ride.

3) While on the tour, especially when it is busy, the guide will navigate you through alternate paths to get through the line much quicker. This may involve going backstage at times which is always cool.

4) You can also do the Wand experience at Ollivanders during the tour. This doesn't have an express line, and can have a long line to get in. It used to be more popular, but now with Nintendo land, perhaps not as much. Typically, someone in your group has to ask for it, and the guide may save it for near the end of the tour.

5) The no tip thing surprised me. All the guides in the past gladly accepted a tip. Maybe something changed, or your guide was just that extra nice.

6) I just want to agree with the lunch. It is by far the best food in any theme park that I have had, and it is definitely one of the best "perks".

@Steven G - fantastic additions!

When we were in the Harry Potter world, there was zero line for Ollivanders so maybe it's not as popular anymore.

Is re-entry allowed (for both park admission and parking)? We will have 2 kids with us and I was thinking maybe take a little break after the tour... go back to the hotel, chill and then go back to the park to take advantage of the VIP lanyard. Also, if we do the early tours (ie. 7:30am), are we eating lunch at like 10:30am? Thank you much!

I don’t know about the reentry options, you’re probably going to have to call for those answers.

I don’t think tours start as early as 7:30, but if f they do, I’d be surprised if lunch was 10:30. My best guess is that you’d have the tram tour before lunch and eat closer to noon. Again, this is probably worth a call to the VIP support team.

Is re-entry allowed (for both park admission and parking)? We will have 2 kids with us and I was thinking maybe take a little break after the tour... go back to the hotel, chill and then go back to the park to take advantage of the VIP lanyard. Also, if we do the early tours (ie. 7:30am), are we eating lunch at like 10:30am? Thank you much!
Yes re-entry is allowed.

Hi I just enjoyed your Universal Trip Report & now I am having trouble finding your DL VIP trip report.
Ill keep searching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter