Unexpected song covers

Sarah McLachlan’s version of Song For A Winter’s Night. Original by Gordon Lightfoot. The original is lovely but Sarah’s version is hauntingly beautiful.

Meg Myers: Running Up that Hill

Originally Kate Bush did it and that's not a bad version, Placebo did another one much more melancholy feel but good for certain moods and Meg Myers brings it back to more Kate Bush's vibe with an updated flair of a more alternative version rather than an '80s one

Johnny Cash’s cover of Hurt ( even though I get teary eyed)
Being a huge Trent Reznor fan it's hard for me to say this is BETTER, but Mr Cash certainly did a fantastic job.

In an interview with Trent, he said he found it odd Johnny wanted to cover Hurt but when he heard it, he knew it was no longer his song and Johnny had made it his.

I think both of these covers are WAY better than Bob Dylan's version:

Good question; there are so many! This is one of my favorites and the first that popped in my mind.

Chris Cornell- Nothing Compares 2 U
Originally written and recorded by Prince, Popularized by Sinead O'Connor, and perfected by Chris Cornell.

Last edited:
Two where I think the cover is better than the original are Dave Matthews Band cover of All Along The Watchtower and Smashing Pumpkin's of Landslide. One I was really surprised by was Weezer's cover of Africa.

For our favorite Polaroid Swinger.

Siouxsie and the Banshees did several excellent covers. But I'll go with the passenger.

Even Iggy Pop said it was better than his original.

And one for me.

10,000 maniacs did this cover before Cat Stevens went coo coo for cocoa puffs It was removed from the album "In My Tribe" and can be a bit tough to find.

And one for the Stargate Atlantis fans.

Johnny Cash.

There was reference to a version of Lou Reed's Perfect Day (performed by Duran Duran) in a cut scene from a movie I've enjoyed.

But these come to mind.

This is kind of an obscure song, but this version is still incredible.

Depeche Mode's version of Route 66 is what I think of as the most oddball cover that works.

And of Kate Bush pretending to play a ukulele is just bizarre, but I like bizarre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter