Um, Where's the Ice?! - A July 2012 European and DLRP Adventure*UPDATE 12/15 Pg.29*

What a great way to end your time at DLRP with ToT and a more unique attraction! Cinemagique sounds wicked cool. I feel like they used to have something like that at DHS at one point or so I've heard.

Mmmm, all this food in Europe looks delicious whether European or not! Hope your dad's little slip up with the GPS didn't add too much travel time after that.

Again, all of the food in Europe looks so good! You're so lucky you know someone who is that great of a cook. Wow, what a tasty looking spread!

Glad to hear DLRP was fun for you overall! Can't wait to read about the rest of this European adventure! :mickeyjum

Stick around Timmy. I haven't even scratched the surface on the food front. :thumbsup2

Good gracious, girl! How many TRs do you have going at one time?! I was scrolling down the landing page, and lo and behold I saw this one was as having the most recent post in the thread. I'm tres impressed..and also a little jealous!

Other than the UK and Disneyland Paris, Europe is down a ways on my list of international travel destinations. Gotta get to Australia, New Zealand, Bora Bora, Hawaii (which I know isn't technically international, but it might as well be) and few others first before I make the trek to the Old Country, so I'm very excited to live vicariously through you on this TR!

Dutch is an interesting language. I'm excited to learn a few words from your TR. Speaking of which it was absolutely adorable Finn "teaching" your dad to speak Dutch.

It sounds like that wee bit of champagne was much needed after your adventure just getting on the plane. I really don't like flying. People just don't belong in a metal tube 39K ft above ground. Of course I don't suppose we belong in metal boxes rolling around at 80 mph either do we? How awful that the sleeping pills didn't work for you! It would drive me batty. I have a hard enough time on a cross country flight being trapped in that metal tube for so long, I can't imagine a transatlantic flight and not being able to sleep.

The french countryside is beautiful. (I'm one of those weirdos that likes Impressions de France) I love the picture you took. It kind of reminds me of so many of the small towns around here where the town radiates out from the old courthouse or a church.

I wouldn't mind importing some of the driving laws from Europe over here! The left lane is the passing lane people!

I've got a lot more to catch up on, but am loving the story so far! Hope that manicure survives the trip!

Good gracious, girl! How many TRs do you have going at one time?! I was scrolling down the landing page, and lo and behold I saw this one was as having the most recent post in the thread. I'm tres impressed..and also a little jealous!

Last year was just a busy year for me, with some trips that I also didn't expect to happen along the way. I don't see this happening to me again for a long time. :lmao: However, I have to mention that four is a little much. ;)

Other than the UK and Disneyland Paris, Europe is down a ways on my list of international travel destinations. Gotta get to Australia, New Zealand, Bora Bora, Hawaii (which I know isn't technically international, but it might as well be) and few others first before I make the trek to the Old Country, so I'm very excited to live vicariously through you on this TR!

I have so many places that I want to go, but Europe was always high on the list because of my Mom coming from there. I've been to Europe three times now, so I'm ready to start to move on and expand to other places. Hawaii definitely. Bora Bora....I'm obsessed.....and fearful that I know I won't be able to afford it. :rotfl2:

Dutch is an interesting language. I'm excited to learn a few words from your TR. Speaking of which it was absolutely adorable Finn "teaching" your dad to speak Dutch.

It is an interesting language. I love hearing my Mom speak it. It's definitely not as harsh as German. I had a co-worker tell me one time that it was an ugly language. :eek: I was like "hey! That's my Mom you're talking about!"

It sounds like that wee bit of champagne was much needed after your adventure just getting on the plane. I really don't like flying. People just don't belong in a metal tube 39K ft above ground. Of course I don't suppose we belong in metal boxes rolling around at 80 mph either do we? How awful that the sleeping pills didn't work for you! It would drive me batty. I have a hard enough time on a cross country flight being trapped in that metal tube for so long, I can't imagine a transatlantic flight and not being able to sleep.

Hahahaha. I don't think we belong in any metal boxes.

I have difficultly falling asleep on planes. Cars, I'm good. Planes. It's a no go.

The french countryside is beautiful. (I'm one of those weirdos that likes Impressions de France) I love the picture you took. It kind of reminds me of so many of the small towns around here where the town radiates out from the old courthouse or a church.

I wouldn't mind importing some of the driving laws from Europe over here! The left lane is the passing lane people!

I've got a lot more to catch up on, but am loving the story so far! Hope that manicure survives the trip!

I love it too. It's so beautiful to see everything there. It was moments like those that drove the point home that I wasn't in the US anymore.

Ugh. The left lane has always been the passing lane. But there they actually abide by it and enforce it!

I'm so confused? Exactly how many TRs do you have going on now? 3 or 4? :rotfl2: And which one did I comment on last night? :confused3:rotfl2:

Anyway - glad the Popadon made his way to Belgium. Dinner looks delightful.

ToT at DLP really does look different on the outside. Really enjoying the park pictures!

I'm so confused? Exactly how many TRs do you have going on now? 3 or 4? :rotfl2: And which one did I comment on last night? :confused3:rotfl2:

Anyway - glad the Popadon made his way to Belgium. Dinner looks delightful.

ToT at DLP really does look different on the outside. Really enjoying the park pictures!

GAH! I have 4 right now Mary Ellen! It's insane. I'm trying to finish up two of them quickly. It's too much!

Holy smokes 7 languages! That's insane!

It's so true though. You can just never assume that someone doesn't understand what you're saying. And people do it all the time.

It is insane! i think she started learning in 4k. I am not sure how many she is fluent in now and she wasn't fluent in all 7 but maybe 4? :confused3 She and her brother are selfish brainiacs...selfish in that I am family and they couldn't share some of their nerdy brains!! :lmao: Over achievers! :headache: :laughing:

ToT is a wonderful choice to end this portion of the trip!! Now that I am finding out ToT is different at other parks, I am thinking I need to go check out my favorite ride in the other parks! That food looked so good!

It is an interesting language. I love hearing my Mom speak it. It's definitely not as harsh as German. I had a co-worker tell me one time that it was an ugly language. :eek: I was like "hey! That's my Mom you're talking about!"

You tell your co-worker that zij zot zijn.:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Until I mastered the English language I thought it was a weird one never ugly. very confusing language for sure English at times doesn't make sense :confused3:confused3

It is insane! i think she started learning in 4k. I am not sure how many she is fluent in now and she wasn't fluent in all 7 but maybe 4? :confused3 She and her brother are selfish brainiacs...selfish in that I am family and they couldn't share some of their nerdy brains!! :lmao: Over achievers! :headache: :laughing:

ToT is a wonderful choice to end this portion of the trip!! Now that I am finding out ToT is different at other parks, I am thinking I need to go check out my favorite ride in the other parks! That food looked so good!

That's exactly how you have to do it. There's no way you can learn that many languages unless you start early, when your brain is pliable.

Haha! Overachievers! I always thought I was, but they make me look like a slacker. :lmao:

You tell your co-worker that zij zot zijn.:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Until I mastered the English language I thought it was a weird one never ugly. very confusing language for sure English at times doesn't make sense :confused3:confused3

I would, but he doesn't work there anymore. :rotfl:

English is backwards in comparison to all of the Latin and Germanic languages, so I totally get it! :rotfl2:

Thanks for giving me something to read while I'm sitting here in immediate care!! Might have strep, never had it before.

But on to your TR, love looking at all of that good old European FOOD! And beer too!

Now off to catch up with your others before the doc gets in here. :)

Thanks for giving me something to read while I'm sitting here in immediate care!! Might have strep, never had it before.

But on to your TR, love looking at all of that good old European FOOD! And beer too!

Now off to catch up with your others before the doc gets in here. :)

Hi my friend! I'm glad to "see" you again!

I'm sorry you might have strep. I've actually never had it either. I hope it's not that.

I miss the food so so so much! It's just a different experience. We kinda suck here honestly. :lmao:

I have really enjoyed your DLP report! It looks like a fun park; I must admit I am kind of regretting not making it there during our European trip this summer - we began in Italy, then spent the end of our trip in Paris for 5 nights. We had done quite a bit of traveling by the time we got to Paris, so we were very tired, and the thought of spending more money and time to visit DLP was not appealing. Oh, well.

I love Tower of Terror, but I'm pretty sure I've never raised my arms up! Scary!

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

I have really enjoyed reading your trip report ... especially the tips about travelling in Europe. It is always so interesting to see how people from other countries view us Europeans. Absolutely loved it. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I have really enjoyed your DLP report! It looks like a fun park; I must admit I am kind of regretting not making it there during our European trip this summer - we began in Italy, then spent the end of our trip in Paris for 5 nights. We had done quite a bit of traveling by the time we got to Paris, so we were very tired, and the thought of spending more money and time to visit DLP was not appealing. Oh, well.

I love Tower of Terror, but I'm pretty sure I've never raised my arms up! Scary!

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

Thanks! It is a fun park. A little on the small side, but it's one of those things for me. If we were going to be over there, I couldn't justify not seeing it. Traveling can definitely make you tired though, so I can get being tired by the time you got to Paris.

I have really enjoyed reading your trip report ... especially the tips about travelling in Europe. It is always so interesting to see how people from other countries view us Europeans. Absolutely loved it. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thanks! I loved writing the tips, just from observations that I had. My Mom is very European in her behavior because of being raised there, so I had a slight leg up already. A lot of it I'm very used to.

Tuesday July 3, 2012

Today was our first full day in Belgium. We woke up a little later this morning, because the plan was just to site see in general. We were able to take our time getting ready.

At around 8:30am, Chris had her normal spread on the table. Meats, breads, cheeses, spreads, butter. Very European, and very yummy!

Our destination this morning was Antwerp, which is the major city in the area. My Mom is technically from Antwerp, but didn't live in the city. They lived in a suburb of the area.

By about 9:30am, we were on our way out the door.

International Travel Tip #37 - You better know how to parallel park if you drive internationally.

Heinz drove us this morning. Dad said he was going to, but Heinz said it would be easier so he wouldn't have to tell Dad where to go. Chris speaks very very fluent english, but Heinz doesn't, so Dad and Heinz having to talk while driving would be interesting.

We drove into the city and the first place we were stopping was MAS, which is the Museum Ann de Stroom (the Museum on the River).

It's right on the river Schelde. Antwerp is a major port city, and MAS is right by the port.

The building itself is awesome. The plan wasn't the actually pay to tour the museum itself. However, for no charge you can enter the building and go to the top to get a panoramic view of everything.

Dad was pretty excited.

If you notice in the picture below, there are hands all over the MAS building. This is representative of two things. The first thing is it represents the number of people that helped building MAS, and the second thing is that it's representative of Antwerpen. Antwerpen literally means "hand-throwing". That's because the legend of how the city came to be is that Brabo, who is a folk legend, apparently cut his hand off and threw it in the river Schelde. After that, the city formed out of the water.

Chris loves taking unrehearsed pictures.

In the gift shop, I saw this hoodie and I really liked it. But, it was 50 euros, and I'm not technically from Antwerp, so I didn't think I could wear it. Haha!

If anyone ever wondered where TinTin came from. Yup. He's Belgian.

And we started our way in to the building!

Chris took a picture of me very intent on photographing something.

In all of the escalator areas, there was typically an artwork installation on the walls. And apparently, in this photo, there was a Poppy installation too!

The views were really beautiful.

Looking out on the river Schelde, which eventually leads out to the North Sea.

In the center of this picture, you can see the tower that makes up the Cathedral in Antwerp that we would be visiting later that day.

This is a municipal building where people who work for the city are. I mean seriously, how awesome is that?!

Finally, we were all the way on the top. Mom didn't come out, because it was out in the open and pretty high up. She's afraid of heights, so I get it. I mean, there was plexiglass there, but it was still enough to make her nervous.

A better picture of the Cathedral we would be visiting.

The sights were beautiful. The last time I had visited Belgium, we were only there for two days, so we missed a lot. It was nice to be there for a longer time, and to be able to just slow down and enjoy it.

We took quite some time at MAS, just checking out the area and enjoying the view. It was nice that getting into the building was free.

After that, we headed to the Grote Markt (essentially, the Large Market), so we could visit the Cathedral. But first, we had to get some lunch.

Beer truck! And one of my absolute favorite beers if I do say so myself.

The streets are truly beautiful.

In one of the areas of the Grote Markt, they had actually uncovered some ancient ruins. They had the area partitioned off and were proceeding with the dig.

Gotta love Chris's unannounced photos.

Up next: Lunch and the Cathedral.

Tuesday July 3, 2012

We drove into the city and the first place we were stopping was MAS, which is the Museum Ann de Stroom (the Museum on the River).

Up next: Lunch and the Cathedral.

MAS is one beautiful building for sure. I made it up higher than I thought. :banana:

What a great view from up there on the MAS. The building itself is pretty cool too! Love all the candid shots courtesy of Chris. Those are the best kind ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter