UK Wanderings - PART 2 - Add a bit of Magic of The Large and Small Screen...

Ok so watching the weather roll in we finished up on that side and crossed over to the Roman Town House

This photo was taken when we first arrived

330.jpg

The original footings of the original structures here

369.jpg

The original structure in this location

370.jpg

The replica Roman Town House

371.jpg

372.jpg

ooooo…the clouds are rolling in….

373.jpg

Aunty Em Aunty Em :eek: !!!!!

374.jpg

Ok here’s the plan…

375.jpg

Portico

376.jpg

382.jpg

Main Entry passage

377.jpg

Reception and Dining Room

383.jpg

385.jpg

One of the private rooms shows the different techniques used for rendering the interior of rooms. I ADORED seeing this. Ultra cool to me…
What can I say…
Maybe I need to get out more :rolleyes1

386.jpg

387.jpg

388.jpg

389.jpg

Our final external shots before bolting back to the visitor centre

391.jpg

392.jpg

394.jpg

I like the bit in bold. Is the alternative....Instead of walking THROUGH the walls? :rotfl:
Ah see you never know!! The poms aren't the brightest... :scratchin :laughing:

But seriously the reason they do this is because it is an audio guide and a really open area. So they want to make sure people go to the next number.

If you were just wandering it wouldn't matter...but there is a 'system'

Portmeirion AND romans - SQUEEEEEEE!!!!:worship:

Portmeirion was wonderful - thanks for all those shots - I agree - it was so mixed up and yet magnificent! who wudda thunk a buddha and a stone boat! Reminds me of Mary Poppins and the Admiral who has turned his house into a boat.

MORE PLEASE!:banana:

I have really enjoyed looking at all the photos. Portmeiron so disjointed yet it works. Really interesting looking place.

Thank you for the kind comments. We will be returning to the history books soon...
But we have a new adventure for the next day...

Our next merry adventure was to the London Zoo with the godchildren of DBF…and the princesses parents ;)

I’d never been to London Zoo before, however many of us would have been near it when going to London. Certainly anyone who has been to Baker Street to visit the Sherlock Holmes Museum has been very close.

It is located in Regent’s Park and located just outside the Congestion charge zone so if you are motoring around by car using the carpark is a good option. Even if you are visiting London for the day the carpark is quite good just location wise. The carpark is also used as a waiting area for the London dog unit to hang out so it’s nice and secure…by default.
The parking is £14.50 per day…which anyone who lives in Sydney would think is a pretty fair amount tbh.

There are various train stations around the park although none is VERY close. There are also buses that service the area. The website is fairly useful http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/

Of course…the quality of the zoo isn’t actually very good. It reminds me of the way Taronga Zoo was about 20 years ago. (although this zoo is flat :lmao: ).
So at £20.50 per adult entry…it’s not somewhere I’d actually suggest going.
But…it was still a nice day out. The location was selected because one of the princesses had a school project on nocturnal animals and her father had enough two for one passes for tickets for all of us.
If you ever do want to visit a zoo while in the UK might I suggest the Colchester Zoo, which is a few hours northeast of London. But with Taronga Zoo in Sydney, Melbourne Zoo, Werribee and Healesville in Victoria I think we have a pretty good selection. Plus there’s always that place Animal Kingdom :lmao:

Welcome to London Zoo
(and yes I’m wearing an earband. Brisk is the best way to describe that day…rather chilly…)

Welcome.jpg

Our guide for the day was Princess number 2. She grabbed the map and off we went. I must say she didn’t do a bad job…as we got to Nocturnal animals pretty quickly.

441.jpg

Anyway onto the animals…

Straight past the birds of prey including Vultures…which decidedly stank as there were rotting rats in various states of decay across the exhibit

397.jpg

398.jpg

Next we found a few Lemurs…

401.jpg

Ommmmm…

402-1.jpg

403.jpg

Although one liked to hide

405.jpg

Then there were the (normally stinky) flying foxes/fruit bats. That is they are in Australia. In this exhibit they weren’t as many and they had glass which prevented stink transfer…and made photos difficult

407.jpg

410.jpg

412.jpg

When we went to head down to the Nocturnal Animals we found a very cool display of lights above the stairs

413.jpg

414.jpg

417.jpg

418.jpg

The notoriously hard to photograph nocturnal animals. It was DBF’s mission to try and get some good shots for Princess Number 2. However this was the best he did.

The bats just don’t stop moving…

420.jpg

421.jpg

It’s a bit too glowing the red in the armadillo enclosure

424.jpg

425.jpg

And as for the others…it was all just too hard :sad2:

But we moved onto the jungle outside

438.jpg

Finding some monkeys

426.jpg

450.jpg

451.jpg

437.jpg

427.jpg

446.jpg

There was a sloth getting fed

429.jpg

432.jpg

433.jpg

Who got joined by a monkey while he was hanging around

434.jpg

436.jpg

And then thankful in a separate box…
A big spider…

447.jpg

We were then off to Africa

452.jpg

Where we found Hunting dogs

453.jpg

455-1.jpg

456-1.jpg

Some Binglees…aka Giraffe

458.jpg

Who intelligently were hanging out inside

460.jpg

462.jpg

463.jpg

Pumbaa

466.jpg

468-1.jpg

and Okapi

469-1.jpg

We then went back inside to the reptiles. Where there were LOADS of reptiles. But very few Australian species. Apparently our lethal reptiles are a bit much for them :lmao:

470.jpg

471.jpg

Everyone’s favourite…the Komodo dragon

472.jpg

474.jpg

475.jpg

Lizards and Snakes

476.jpg

477.jpg

479.jpg

483.jpg

484.jpg

A Turtle in hiding

480.jpg

And found flying turtles!!!

486.jpg

487.jpg

489-1.jpg

490.jpg

493-1.jpg

An alligator…sigh…no crocodile…no real reptiles…sigh…

494.jpg

495.jpg

More snakes and Lizards

501.jpg

502.jpg

505.jpg

506.jpg

Before going back outside…

Birdies in the trees

507.jpg

Loved this one

509.jpg

510-1.jpg

512.jpg

Then off to Gorillas

516.jpg

519-1.jpg

520.jpg

Although it was all a bit much for some…

517.jpg

But the tigers had the right idea setting up for the night in their den…

521-1.jpg

522.jpg

523.jpg

Now at this point we then went to Penguin Parade which is actually one of the ‘newest’ exhibits in the zoo. However it closes half an hour before other parts so although we spent a while looking around we didn’t get any photos.

As we were at the shop and exit and the parents of the princesses were tired we decided to call it a day…except…we had missed the OUTBACK!!!
We left our fellow travellers and DBF and I hotfooted it off to the Outback

OutbackLondonZoo-1.jpg

Which has Wallabies, Emus and Brolgas

527-1.jpg

528-1.jpg

529-1.jpg

530-1.jpg

After our visit to the poor suffering Wallabies out in the cold, we went back to the shops where the Princesses were having fun. I think that’s the most plush I’ve seen in a zoo store. Honestly. But it was the little handmade handbags that caught Princess Number 2’s eye. Made out of like a felt…most importantly it was PINK!

After they collected a range of things (including a book about Nocturnal animals!! Score…) they finished their purchases and we all left the zoo.

It was then home time…and our looooong drive back home to Shropshire. Leaving London at about 5pm ain’t the best move. But it was actually the 4 car accident (just nose to tail minor damage) that was the biggest delay. Not because it was major. But because at least one of the drivers must have insisted on getting the police before moving off the road. So they had to CLOSE the road to get them from the inside lane to the shoulder. :headache:

That bird was very pretty, love the purple on it. All the animals are interesting. Gorillas can be entertaining. Cant wait to see more. Did you go in the Sherlock museum? I think you said that. Well on your other ???? Can you finish just with pics? I really want to see. :thumbsup2

The birdie was gorgeous!
So what accent did the turtles have when they spoke? Is it english or are they also californian surfer dude?

That bird was very pretty, love the purple on it. All the animals are interesting. Gorillas can be entertaining. Cant wait to see more. Did you go in the Sherlock museum? I think you said that. Well on your other ???? Can you finish just with pics? I really want to see. :thumbsup2
No I've never been to the Sherlock Holmes Museum. I have a friend somewhat obsessed with Holmes who HAS been there but it's very expensive and basically a licence to print money. :lmao:
She did enjoy it though.

The birdie was gorgeous!
So what accent did the turtles have when they spoke? Is it english or are they also californian surfer dude?
Totally AWESOME DUUUUUUUDE....
Just hangin' around

:thumbsup2

Our final adventures were around Telford itself. Ironbridge and the surrounds.

The names in this area are confusing at times as they would change the name after famous people. For example Ironbridge…was called that AFTER the construction of THE Ironbridge. Before that it was called Coalbrookdale.
However because there were Iron works and other industry in the area prior to the bridge. There are certain industries that will be named with the earlier name.

This is now a World Heritage Listed area due to the historical significance of what happened here.
This is often referred to as the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, although there is no single place it began.

Succinct from good ole Wiki
Ironbridge is a settlement on the River Severn, at the heart of the Ironbridge Gorge, in Shropshire, England. It lies in the civil parish of The Gorge, in the borough of Telford and Wrekin. Ironbridge developed beside, and takes its name from, the famous Iron Bridge, a 30 metre (100 ft) cast iron bridge that was built across the river there in 1779.

The website for the organisation is http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/ and here is an explanation from them about becoming a World Heritage site

In 1986, the Ironbridge Gorge became one of the first group of 7 UK sites to be awarded World Heritage status by UNESCO. The designation of the Ironbridge Gorge as a World Heritage Site recognised the area’s unique contribution to the birth of the Industrial Revolution in the 18th century, the impact of which was felt across the world. It was the achievements of pioneering industrialists including Abraham Darby, William Reynolds and John Wilkinson that led to the Ironbridge Gorge becoming by the close of the 18th century the most technologically advanced area in the world. The surviving built and natural environment with its museums, monuments and artefacts, including the world famous Iron Bridge of 1779, serve to remind us of this area’s unique contribution to the history and development of industrialised society.

So what is there to see here?

The Iron Bridge
Well obviously the bridge that really put this place on the map is one of the first things to see and is free to see. Although it is VERY important to understand that this bridge just made the existing industries MUCH easier to exist and expand.

East Shropshire was an important industrial area thanks to coal deposits near the surface. By 1635 annual production from Broseley and Benthall was around 100,000 tons per year mainly for export, but also for fuelling local clay industries and lead.

In 1776 the nearest bridge was 2 miles away at Buildwas. A ferry crossing carried people and goods over the river, but was difficult and dangerous, especially in winter. The Act to build a bridge remedying the situation received Royal Assent in March 1776.

This is the Bridge

531.jpg

532.jpg

547-1.jpg

548.jpg

549-1.jpg

550.jpg

551.jpg

552-1.jpg

553-1.jpg

554.jpg

555-1.jpg

556.jpg

560.jpg

561-1.jpg

562.jpg

563-1.jpg

When visiting the Bridge remember to spend some time looking at the shops between the bridge and the Museum of the Gorge. There’s some interesting ones ;) :lmao:

photo-28.jpg

Including ones with tasty treats :woohoo:

557-1.jpg

558-1.jpg

But honestly there is a lovely batch of shops that are interesting.

Then there is the collection of 10 museums/attractions that you can see on the one ticket, which are spread across the area. They are all priced individually, however the passport ticket is £22.50, which I think is pretty good. A family of 2A and up to 3C is £61.50. It is valid for 12 months and you can visit each of them as often as you want. Which for a local could be good at the China Museum for example as they sell various pottery which can be used for herb gardens etc.
You can even AFTER the 12 months visit any one museum you haven’t visited before.

These are open year round -
- The Museum of the Gorge (located just down from the Ironbridge)
- Jackfield Tile Museum
- Coalbrookdale Museum of Iron
- Engenuity (like a really small Questacon)
- Coalport China Museum
- Blists Hill Victorian town (like Old Sydney Town or Sovereign Hill…but cheaper!)
These were not open but are also included on the same ticket should you buy the passport ticket

- Darby Houses
- Broseley Pipeworks
- Tar Tunnel
- The Ironbridge and Tollhouse

We visited the Museum of the Gorge before visiting the Bridge. This is the outside, which shows the old tracks (well…where the tracks stood) that transported the coal from the works.

535.jpg

536.jpg

534.jpg

Toward the River Severn

533.jpg

Inside the Museum looking out

539.jpg

Then there is a fantastic model of the River Severn, which is on display inside. The museum isn’t very large. Nor is the Museum of Iron. However each is quite interesting.

537.jpg

538.jpg

541.jpg

542.jpg

543.jpg

It mentioned Perth…so it must be photographed :lmao:

544.jpg

And a window…

545.jpg

Sounds like you had an awesome time. I am glad you shared it with us. You retain info about things so well. I enjoy the pics. You have done an excellent job! I would be lost in all those museums. That could take awhile. :thumbsup2

I see a cupcake shop but no cupcakes. I'll have to stick with the popcorn. popcorn::

Nice bridge, tho'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter