U-G-L-Y, You Ain't Got No Alibi. Your Bedspread's Ugly.

Residence Inn Orlando Airport
MarriottPre-NightCruiseRoom2.jpg

Disney Magic...looks like the flags are larger and closer together than the other poster's photo.
IMG_0767.jpg

I have found my people. :rotfl:
So funny!! I feel the same way.
Especially about CBR. So pretty on the outside ... and then you open your door to that room. :scared:
It's actually what made us decide to try Pop this year. Could.not.do.another.week.in.that.CBR.room.decor. :laughing:
I love everything else about CBR though!

popcorn:: Hilarous! I am staying tuned for more!

And I second that white bedspread idea. It may not *really* be clean, but at least I can work under the illusion that it is!

Today from the Orlando Sentinel:

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010...hotel-dubbed-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

Disney to build 2,000-room hotel dubbed Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

Walt Disney World is about to begin building its first new hotel in seven years, a 2,000-room resort that will open in 2012.

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will feature 1,120 suites with room for as many as six people each and another 864 traditional hotel rooms, with a design theme based on four of the company’s most popular animated movies.

The complex will be priced as a “value” hotel, at the low end of Disney World’s scale, similar to Disney’s Pop Century and All-Star resorts, where standard rates begin at $82 a night.

The announcement is one of the strongest signals yet from Disney that it thinks a sustained recovery is under way from the long travel slump brought on by the global recession. Disney executives, who have been weighing construction of a family-suites hotel for several years, finally approved the project in January.

But in deciding to add another lower-priced hotel, Disney also appears to be betting that travelers will continue the frugal spending habits many adopted during the downturn...

...The Art of Animation Resort will be built on a 65-acre plot across a lake from Disney’s Pop Century Resort. The location will allow Disney to use a pair of long-neglected, unfinished buildings that Disney originally constructed as a second phase of Pop Century but which it abandoned amid the 2001 recession...

...Plans for the new resort show 10 wings of rooms and a separate building housing the check-in lobby and restaurants. The hotel wings will be separated into four distinct groups, each with a theme from a different animated movie: The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Finding Nemo and Cars...

...Each section will have separate courtyards anchored by icons from the movies — such as a 35-foot-tall King Triton presiding over the Mermaid section — and the entire resort will use bright-color palettes evocative of the lush scenery of animated movies. Hotel designers say they have been soliciting input from artists at Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios on everything from building elevations to which scenes to depict at the swimming pools...

...Disney declined to say how much it will spend to build the hotel. It expects to break ground this summer and open it in phases throughout 2012...

...Disney said the project will generate approximately 800 construction jobs...

SO...what do you think the bedspreads will look like? popcorn::

Seriously though, this is great news! We have been trying to figure out sleeping arrangements for a group of 8 for this winter at WDW and its been tough due to on-property space limitations.

Today from the Orlando Sentinel:

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010...hotel-dubbed-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

SO...what do you think the bedspreads will look like? popcorn::

Seriously though, this is great news! We have been trying to figure out sleeping arrangements for a group of 8 for this winter at WDW and its been tough due to on-property space limitations.

Hmmm I'm thinking they'll look like the other values, or like the bedspreads at CBR. Just a guess though!

while i like the wl i HATE the bedspeads! :scared1: with the recent refub they went from bad to hideous!

I recall reading right here on the DIS a few years back that there is a method behind the madness of having ugly bed spreads... to keep guests from swiping them.

Thinking about it though, I think the type of people who swipe bedspreads from a hotel aren't going to be the type who are that picky about what they take.

That is hilarious! Who would think to swipe a bedspread? :confused3 Although I've never had the inclination to steal from a hotel room, at least you can fit towels/robes into a suitcase.

Can you imagine? you'd have to bring a separate (huge) suitcase to swipe the bedspread. :rotfl: Maybe you could wear it out of the hotel, like a ceremonial robe. :bride:

Maybe you could wear it out of the hotel, like a ceremonial robe. :bride:

We are heading to All Star Movies this summer which according to the pics looks like the winner for ugliest bedspread. Can you just picture it now, me running from my room with a "bedspread cape" knotted around my shoulders? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Sexy mama coming through!

I am new to this thread but LOVE it! On our last trip I actually ripped the bedspreads off the beds w/ a note to the maid to remove them from the room and bring more blankets. I didn't even want to have to see their ugliness up on the closet shelf.

I know this is a thread about bedspreads, but could they PLEASE do something about those ugly wallpaper borders. That look is so 1992!

Oh no!! This thread seems to be fading!
I really hate an ugly bedspread. I love the plain white ones at BWI and YC/BC and Contemporary. I think the ugliest are at WL, so bad it would make me rethink staying there. What is with the recent love affair with the color brown?:crazy2: It's at most resorts now. I get that it's a "neutral" :rolleyes: but that doesn't mean it isn't ugly. Disney needs to hire a new designer!

I had hoped the white was going to be a trend for all refurbs, at least at deluxe resorts. I also don't get why the ones that did get it like BC and BW jipped the villas?

I also don't get why the ones that did get it like BC and BW jipped the villas?

Because the villas maintenance, upkeep, and refurbs is funded by MEMBER MAINTENANCE fees. In order to keep those fees low (as members want), they don't have as "luxe" upgrades. Overall, the DVC properties seem to have inferior bedding, linens, and room furnishings. I will never buy into Disney's claim that the villas are "deluxe accommodations." They are large, sure, but they are mostly all decorated like every other vacation home in Florida. (okay, I will concede that BLT and Kidani are exceptions to that).

Last year I did the Disney Approach to Leadership course and they took us to the laundry and talked about how they manage the linens. Disney like bedspreads cause they are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!! and easy to launder 100% unnatural fibres! (keep away from an open flame!).
Anyway - they told us that they had sooooooo many complaints about the bedspreads and guests were asking for duvets - but duvets are EXPENSIVE and hard to launder.
However - anyone who has done any travelling (esp. in business hotels) would have noticed this new trend - no sheets but a thin duvet inside a duvet cover bag that is made out of sheeting - so it is both CHEAP and EASY (to launder)
Suddenly - everyone is happy! So Disney was slowly shifting the Deluxe resorts over to them and the others when they do refurbs - and the pattern would be restricted to those stupid little foot decorator thingies.

All very nice except if you are like me and find sleeping under a duvet too hot in summer - but you no longer have a simple sheet. So I have to ask for my bed to be made up normally.

I am so sad - to know things about bedspreads. Back to the UGLINESS please

Great thread! :laughing: I have paused over many bedspreads while on vacation. There are some doozies on this thread!

I recall reading right here on the DIS a few years back that there is a method behind the madness of having ugly bed spreads... to keep guests from swiping them.

Thinking about it though, I think the type of people who swipe bedspreads from a hotel aren't going to be the type who are that picky about what they take.

That does make sense. But you have to wonder about someone that would steal stuff from their room.

I thought they bought the busy, dark or bright spreads to hide spills and stains. The busier the spread the more longevity they get out of them.

You too can be the proud owner of one of Disney's UGLY bedspreads of the past.

http://www.ownthemagic.com/shop/catalog/browse?shop_param=

Put them in your guest room so your guests aren't tempted to take off with your bedspreads. :lmao: Matching Curtains, Pillows, and yes, even carpeting available for some products.

Thanks Twinklebug! That is a great site! Boy oh boy, I wish they had furniture from the Grand Californian at DLR. One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made was not purchasing one of the armoires from that resort when it was being sold on ebay. I was moving at the time and not sure where I wouldd put it. I always regret not buying one when I had the chance.

Here is a photo of the armoires in the regular rooms,
Room003.jpg

and a photo of the matching headboard
king-bedroom-standard.jpg

(Yes, the bedspread isn't great, but at least it doesn't clash with the room! :3dglasses)

That site is great though - I'm sending it to a few others as well!

while i like the wl i HATE the bedspeads! :scared1: with the recent refub they went from bad to hideous!

I actually like the new bedspreads better at the WL but I understand why you don't like them. At least they match the room!! If the rest of the room is dark wood, then a little bit of bright color doesn't bother me as much...

We are heading to All Star Movies this summer which according to the pics looks like the winner for ugliest bedspread. Can you just picture it now, me running from my room with a "bedspread cape" knotted around my shoulders? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Sexy mama coming through!.

Thanks for the laugh :) I've read your message a few times and it cracks me up each time. It sounds like what would happen if your "inner interior designer" needed some kind of "cleansing ritual" :rotfl:

Oh no!! This thread seems to be fading!
I really hate an ugly bedspread. I love the plain white ones at BWI and YC/BC and Contemporary. I think the ugliest are at WL, so bad it would make me rethink staying there. What is with the recent love affair with the color brown?:crazy2: It's at most resorts now. I get that it's a "neutral" :rolleyes: but that doesn't mean it isn't ugly. Disney needs to hire a new designer!

We'll definitely keep the thread going as long as there are folks who have photos to share! But I think we should expand it (even though this thread is posted under 'resorts') because I'd like to see examples of good/bad/ugly bedspreads off-property too. We're currently planning a winter trip to WDW and are trying to determine where we'll stay...

Because the villas maintenance, upkeep, and refurbs is funded by MEMBER MAINTENANCE fees. In order to keep those fees low (as members want), they don't have as "luxe" upgrades. Overall, the DVC properties seem to have inferior bedding, linens, and room furnishings. I will never buy into Disney's claim that the villas are "deluxe accommodations." They are large, sure, but they are mostly all decorated like every other vacation home in Florida. (okay, I will concede that BLT and Kidani are exceptions to that).

I was wondering about that too, as we were considering renting DVC points for our trip later this year...

Good grief how expensive could the duvets be? They aren't even down are they?

Exactly :rolleyes1

Last year I did the Disney Approach to Leadership course and they took us to the laundry and talked about how they manage the linens. Disney like bedspreads cause they are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!! and easy to launder 100% unnatural fibres! (keep away from an open flame!).
Anyway - they told us that they had sooooooo many complaints about the bedspreads and guests were asking for duvets - but duvets are EXPENSIVE and hard to launder.
However - anyone who has done any travelling (esp. in business hotels) would have noticed this new trend - no sheets but a thin duvet inside a duvet cover bag that is made out of sheeting - so it is both CHEAP and EASY (to launder)
Suddenly - everyone is happy! So Disney was slowly shifting the Deluxe resorts over to them and the others when they do refurbs - and the pattern would be restricted to those stupid little foot decorator thingies.

All very nice except if you are like me and find sleeping under a duvet too hot in summer - but you no longer have a simple sheet. So I have to ask for my bed to be made up normally.

I am so sad - to know things about bedspreads. Back to the UGLINESS please

This is really interesting - thanks for the input! You're right, the duvets are too hot during summer. But I think in that case some places put a simple sheet or blanket inside the duvet cover instead of the duvet itself.

Glad to hear that Disney has picked up on the trend and is moving away from bedspreads made out of recycled plastic. ;)

Great thread! :laughing: I have paused over many bedspreads while on vacation. There are some doozies on this thread!

So glad you like. We aim to please :wizard:

Had to snag both photos off the net. I tried to avoid pictures with the bedspread in them. :scared: Why does value have to mean "I want to sleep in a room with a bedspread designed for a three year old?"

My thoughts exactly about the Value Resorts.

Once again, you get what you pay for.

Especially at All-Star Movies

asmv111.jpg

I felt like a preschooler sleeping in this hotel. It was way too kiddy for my taste but all the other Values were booked at the time.

Ironically both the All-Stars Music and All-Stars Sports resort have upgraded their bedspreads to more decent/tolerable designs...why Movies would be left out of the loop I have no clue.

asm_jaz15.jpg

asports1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter