Twice As Nice & Double the Fun: an offsite October PTR where “2” is the magic number

Hi Gina!! I'm here to follow along. As I said before, it stinks we miss each other by 5 days! I'm interested to see how your plans are coming together, because October will be here in no time!

We're also planning for spring 2017 too :rotfl2:

Not too heavily since there's 2 trips coming up, but we booked a short Disney cruise for May 2017 earlier this year as an early birthday trip for me so I know a stay at Disney and Universal will be after the cruise too I just have to wait a little longer to book the hotels. So I probably won't do any planning until after our next trip.

Well look who's doing a another PTR! As Gomer would say, "surprise, surprise" :rolleyes: Of course there were quite a few people trying to influence your decision...

These are getting seriously popular - I'm relegated to a page two response already. Now that I know, I'll be watching more closely for updates!! Two days to double digits...

We're late August, ten days, split stay between Animal Kingdom Kidani and Bay Lake Tower. So excited to stay at AKL, that's a new one for us! And Bay Lake we love.

So just WDW this trip. We were going to do to one day at Universal to see Kong but we are going to save that for the next trip. The way they price the tickets makes it hard to combine both.

Subbing and can't wait for more details. Still nothing firm for us for this fall, so I am studying your choices and making lists of potential activities for us.

:welcome: dalmation7! Do you have dates picked out, or are they still variable as well?

If you are planning on autumn, I would wholeheartedly recommend some of the seasonal events like MNSSHP and HHN ..... the parks really do it up right for Halloween. It's making October one of our favourite times of year to travel.

Hi Gina!! I'm here to follow along. As I said before, it stinks we miss each other by 5 days! I'm interested to see how your plans are coming together, because October will be here in no time!

Hi ya Tori! :goodvibes Another autumn traveler who can share in my countdown excitement!

Are you sure you don't want to add another itty bitty 5 days onto the end of your vacation? :flower3: Southwest doesn't charge change fees, after all ;). We'd have a heck of a good time at a Dismeet.

We're also planning for spring 2017 too :rotfl2:

Not too heavily since there's 2 trips coming up, but we booked a short Disney cruise for May 2017 earlier this year as an early birthday trip for me so I know a stay at Disney and Universal will be after the cruise too I just have to wait a little longer to book the hotels. So I probably won't do any planning until after our next trip.

Oooohhh, sounds fun though!!

We are hoping to book a week in Tampa at some point in 2017. Not sure how that's going to work just yet (or even IF it will work), but that's the loose plan. All subject to budgetary restrictions, of course!

Well look who's doing a another PTR! As Gomer would say, "surprise, surprise" :rolleyes: Of course there were quite a few people trying to influence your decision...

These are getting seriously popular - I'm relegated to a page two response already. Now that I know, I'll be watching more closely for updates!! Two days to double digits...

What can I say, these reports are a serious amount of fun for me to write so I just can't stay away. Of course, they're only this enjoyable because of all the great people who join in the chat. Everyone give yourselves a well-deserved pat on the back :teeth:.

I will try to keep the updates coming as regularly as I can, but I may need some help on the days that I'm coming up dry on content.. @dancin Disney style still owes us a daily dose of weird and wonderful trivia, but I also may need to lean on others when my creative juices stop flowing.....otherwise I'll be asking everyone to start posting baby pictures of themselves to keep us entertained :cutie:.

We're late August, ten days, split stay between Animal Kingdom Kidani and Bay Lake Tower. So excited to stay at AKL, that's a new one for us! And Bay Lake we love.

So just WDW this trip. We were going to do to one day at Universal to see Kong but we are going to save that for the next trip. The way they price the tickets makes it hard to combine both.

I agree.....single park days are absolute budget killers. We would love to visit Animal Kingdom again (we had a great time there in 2009) but the single day price is ridiculous when you add on food and parking. Someday I will throw financial caution to the wind and splurge, but I just can't bear to do so yet.

Wohoo! I'm here! Can't wait to see what costumes you'll do!

Wahoo! :cool1: So glad you've joined in, too!

We are using our pirates costumes from last year for one party, but the second one......we're still deciding. Pretty sure Steve's leaning one way and I'm leaning another (as usual :rotfl2:). That will be a good basis for discussion in a future post!

Wait until they finish Avatar Land...I think a single day ticket will be worth it then :)

That's what we have been thinking, too (ditto to waiting to visit Hollywood Studios until Star Wars Land is fully open).

Plus....that gives me time to figure out what the heck Avatar even is :blush:.

The Itinerary

It’s funny, but I thought that we’d have a hard time filling a full two weeks when we first booked this trip :scratchin. I truly expected we would have an itinerary with large pockets of nothingness in which to relax and do nothing at all.

LOL, you would think I would know better by now :rotfl:. We’re just not idle people by nature. These two weeks have filled up quite nicely: though not, in my humble opinion, to the point of being “too much”. I am hoping we have devised a rather balanced plan that allows for lots to do without over-doing it :thumbsup2.

Here’s what our two weeks look like so far…….

Thursday, October 13th: both Steve and I have booked the day off. We will clean the house, finish the final packing, and head to Buffalo as early in the day as possible. Dinner will be in Buffalo at a restaurant we don’t have here at home. The Anchor Bar (never been) and Famous Dave’s (have only ever been to one in Wisconsin Dells) are both on the short list but neither are confirmed. Our park and fly is already booked and paid for at the Day’s Hotel.

Friday, October 14th: we have an early flight to Orlando, so we’ll be on Florida soil by 10 am. We plan to pick up the rental car and have lunch at Sweet Tomatoes before heading to Wyndham Cypress Palms. Fingers crossed we will be able to check in early. We hope to get settled in, explore the resort (since its new to us), and maybe catch a nap before heading to Fort Wilderness. We have an ADR for Trails End (a new experience) at 6:50 pm and reservations for a carriage ride at 8:30.

Saturday, October 15th: today we will spend at SeaWorld and take in their Halloween Spooktacular events for the first time. Dining plans call for lunch at SeaWorld (perhaps in the passholder lounge? Maybe at Mama’s Pretzel Kitchen? Or possibly we’ll give Terrace BBQ a try….we still haven’t dined there since they switched from the pizza buffet) and Longhorns (a new one for us) for dinner.

Sunday, October 16th: tonight we will enjoy our first MNSSHP, complete with reservations for the Hallowishes Dessert Party. We have IHOP tentatively scheduled for breakfast and Cici’s planned for a late lunch (maybe mid-afternoonish?). With a late lunch and the dessert party, we’ll forego dinner and just grab hotdogs or something at the park if we are hungry.

Monday, October 17th: we will probably want to sleep in after a late night at MNSSHP. Lunch has us trying out Sonny’s BBQ for the first time (highly recommended to us by dear friends, so we KNOW that one will not disappoint!), and we have evening reservations for Pirates Dinner Adventure. Between lunch and dinner, we have reservations for a flight on the Orlando Eye (we have the 3-attraction passes for I-Drive 360).

Tuesday, October 18th: another lazy, unscheduled morning is on deck. We’ll have lunch at Steak & Shake and head back to I-Drive 360 for Sea Life Aquarium and Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. Our second dinner show of the trip is booked for that night: Capone’s Dinner Show has been on Steve’s wish list FOREVER. We may Uber there and back so he can enjoy some beverages with his meal. We may also dress up.

Wednesday, October 19th: another day devoted to SeaWorld. Lunch will be at the park, dinner at Texas de Brazil (another new experience). Steve is simply beside himself for the latter….that’s another that’s been on his Orlando Dining Bucket list for eons.

Thursday, October 20th: this is a dedicated resort day. I am sure 90% of it will be spent by the pool if the weather co-operates. We do have tickets to the Museum of Military History in Kissimmee (which is within walking distance of the resort) so we might venture there if we get feeling waterlogged. Dining plans call for lunch at Chili’s and dinner for the first time at Maggiano’s (I am super, SUPER excited about that one!).

Friday, October 21st: we check out of Wyndham Cypress Palms and check into the Vistana. We plan to try 4 Rivers in Kissimmee for lunch (first time!) and then get settled in to our villa. Late that afternoon, we plan to head to Celebration for Oktoberfest and spend the evening enjoying the German food, special events and entertainment.

Saturday, October 22nd: this is the first of our Discovery Cove days. Eat, drink, swim, relax, repeat. If we’re even hungry for any dinner later that night, we’ll grab something from the Tacky Tiki Bar & Grill at the Vistana.

Sunday, October 23rd: our second MNSSHP day. We have no firm plans but to have a late breakfast or early lunch at Steak & Shake, then maybe grab a nap or some pool time before the party. We have an ADR for Crystal Palace at 4:45 pm, then it’s party time!

Monday, October 24th: it’s a resort and recuperation day. I am sure we will sleep late after the party the night before. Brunch is planned for Hash House A Go Go and dinner at Bahama Breeze (yet another new dining experience which we are so excited to try).

Tuesday, October 25th: a full day at Aquatica, with a cabana rental. We will eat lunch at the park and dinner at Cracker Barrel.

Wednesday, October 26th: this will be our second Discovery Cove day. As with the Saturday DC day, if we even feel like an evening meal at this point in our trip, we will grab subs from Publix or something from the Tacky Tiki Bar & Grill.

Thursday, October 27th: our second Aquatica day, again with a cabana rental. Lunch at the park and our final dinner in Orlando at Hash House A Go Go (what’s that old saying? “If you’re gonna go, go big”).

Friday, October 28th: today we head home. We will check out of the villa before the 10 am requirement and perhaps spend a few final hours at SeaWorld before making the pilgrimage to the airport. We will drop the car rental off by 2 and our flight leaves at 4 pm. We’re still undecided if we will spend the night in Niagara Falls or just drive straight home that evening.

Writing it all out, I think it looks busier than it is. Days like Discovery Cove and Aquatica can actually be quite relaxing, and don’t take the same toll as trudging around a theme park in the heat and humidity from open to close. We have tried to schedule all of our planned activities so that we have mornings to sleep in after any late nights, which should help us avoid exhausting ourselves as the days tick by. SeaWorld closes at 6 pm and 7 pm on the two dates we have scheduled for that park, so even those days will wrap up early enough for us to enjoy a leisurely dinner and time by the pool.

100 days to go :hourglass…….tomorrow I will be doing the double digit dance!

Last edited:
Wow what a fantastic trip you have planned! A nice mix of activities to say the least!

So you are splitting your stay? Where is Cypress Palms? Have you stayed there before (always on the lookout for new offsite villas)

Yay! :cheer2: Great start to your report!:thumbsup2 It sounds like you have a lot of great activities planned! ::yes::

We loved the dessert party for MNSSHP last year! We also had a 2nd planned but didn't make it to that one due to weather.

Josh loves Texas De Brazil we've eaten there for his last 2 birthdays. (We have one nearby). Steve will love it! Also they have an amazing salad bar with so many other things to choose from plus the meats it's actually a really good deal.

Madame Tussands and Sea Life were awesome too.

It's funny how 2 weeks fly by and what seems like a relaxing itinerary soon turns out to be quite busy. So, how come you are going to DC twice, are you doing the dolphin swim?

I like how the 2nd part of your trip seems very relaxing!

We went on the carriage ride at Fort Wilderness on our honeymoon. It was a nice relaxing ride.

I'm still trying to convince Eric that we need to go to Discovery Cove in September. Madeline really wants to swim with the dolphins and I would do that with her and then we'd get the rest of our party the tickets that didn't have the dolphin swim. Is it worth it? (they'd be $99 because of our Sea World passes)

What a great trip plan!
Better pace yourselves on all those yummy restaurants, especially Texas de Brazil. Meat sweats are a real thing LOL ?uber to Octoberfest too? Can't go and not indulge in some German beer:) And don't forget about the Chili's "to go" and mobile ordering-can send DH out to pick up the eats on your pool day while you lounge with a tropical drink:rolleyes1

Hoping we get back to the parks in 2017. Would really like to see Seaworld (haven't been since i was 14) and of course to ride the new coaster -but it will have to include universal too...If all plans go well my oldest is going to try for a Disney college program internship in fall 2017. She has wanted to do an internship there for a long time and has taken so many college classes at HS level that she has almost 2 semesters worth of credits to play with. Hope it works out for me(...*ahem) her.

I can't wait to read about your adventures. I wanted to let you know that our family loves Sonny's. We also visited Capone's a couple years ago. The food was good, and the show was funny. I saw you were considering dressing up. Do it! We did, and the cast really loved it. My boys were both mentioned by name in the show, and they both had a bit of spotlight.

I also wanted to tell you that I LOVE what your son has decided to do with his life. I am the mom of a highly functioning autistic child. He is an amazing kid, and I wish he had someone like your son to be around.

Great itinerary!

As a shameless carnivore, I especially like your restaurant choices Anchor Bar (THE birthplace of Buffalo Wings, if I'm not mistaken), 4Rivers, and last but not least Texas de Brazil! I have not been there, but I'm a huge fan of Brazilian steakhouses! They are glorious grilled meat parades! We went to one for Fathers Day, and it still makes my mouth water! I will give an Honorable Mention to Sonnys. I've had good food there as well as not quite so good. (ETA: I missed LongHorns the first time I read your itinerary. I have not been to one in a long time, but I remember it being another good carnivorous treat.)

I'm also looking forward to hearing about the dinner shows. I have considered both of those for our trips.

Staying tuned...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter