"Twelve year old lives life through online game", article

Loves Disney

DIS Veteran
Twelve year old lives life through online game
Is Disney’s new Virtual Magic Kingdom becoming too addictive?

- 26 May 2006; Unknown

CALIFORNIA - Twelve year old Tamara Donovan lives her life vicariously through an online multiplayer game called the Virtual Magic Kingdom.

Tamara’s parents, Evelyn and Matthew Donovan, say she spends too much time talking with “friends” and playing what is called, “mini-games”. “We just don’t see her anymore and that scares us”, says Evelyn Donovan.

As the game replicates the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, more and more Disney fans are becoming the product of its purpose. “Tamara has taken an interest in that Mickey Mouse character”, says Matthew Donovan. “She seems to find his cartoons funny and enjoyable. I hate to see my little girl suffer like this.”

The Virtual Magic Kingdom, also known as “vmk” has a restricted dictionary that only allows for safe language. Words such as “hate” and “school” are not allotted for use. “I would greet her as she returns home from school and I don’t understand her responses. She would say things such as, ‘I hat skull and I just want to play vmk’”, adds Evelyn.

While some people believe this game provides healthy entertainment for children and adults alike, others argue that it is detrimental and prevents a young mind from growing. “I have seen too many students wearing Disney hair bows and shirts. I have even seen pencils with Disney designs on them”, says second grade teacher Julie Harris. “It worries me to see so many children obsessing over Disney. I just know it is because of that Virtual Magic Kingdom” she adds as she tosses out a Disney notepad.

A Disney cast member feels that because of this game, more people seem to want to come to the parks. “I come to work in the morning anticipating an easy few hours, but once the gates open I can see an increased amount of people each day” says Charlie Jones, a 35 year old cast member. “I am forced to talk to more people now and I have to actually help them. I don’t like this game” he continues.

Children and adults such as Tamara, feel that because of this game they are typing faster and have an augmented vocabulary. They believe they can speak and write better than before. “Vmk is fun. It is fun because I don’t play none other games. I like talking at people and they like to talk at me too. No game is funner” says Tamara. Other Virtual Magic Kingdom players have agreed with her.

“I am forced to talk to more people now and I have to actually help them. I don’t like this game” Why work there if you don't want to help people?

As the game replicates the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim California, more and more Disney fans are becoming the product of its purpose. “Tamara has taken an interest in that Mickey Mouse character”, says Matthew Donovan. “She seems to find his cartoons funny and enjoyable. I hate to see my little girl suffer like this.” She is just a kid! :furious:

Loves Disney said:
Twelve year old lives life through online game
Is Disney’s new Virtual Magic Kingdom becoming too addictive?

- 26 May 2006; Unknown

CALIFORNIA - Twelve year old Tamara Donovan lives her life vicariously through an online multiplayer game called the Virtual Magic Kingdom.

Tamara’s parents, Evelyn and Matthew Donovan, say she spends too much time talking with “friends” and playing what is called, “mini-games”. “We just don’t see her anymore and that scares us”, says Evelyn Donovan.

As the game replicates the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim California, more and more Disney fans are becoming the product of its purpose. “Tamara has taken an interest in that Mickey Mouse character”, says Matthew Donovan. “She seems to find his cartoons funny and enjoyable. I hate to see my little girl suffer like this.”

The Virtual Magic Kingdom, also known as “vmk” has a restricted dictionary that only allows for safe language. Words such as “hate” and “school” are not allotted for use. “I would greet her as she returns home from school and I don’t understand her responses. She would say things such as, ‘I hat skull and I just want to play vmk’”, adds Evelyn.

While some people believe this game provides healthy entertainment for children and adults alike, others argue that it is detrimental and prevents a young mind from growing. “I have seen too many students wearing Disney hair bows and shirts. I have even seen pencils with Disney designs on them”, says second grade teacher Julie Harris. “It worries me to see so many children obsessing over Disney. I just know it is because of that Virtual Magic Kingdom” she adds as she tosses out a Disney notepad.

A Disney cast member feels that because of this game, more people seem to want to come to the parks. “I come to work in the morning anticipating an easy few hours, but once the gates open I can see an increased amount of people each day” says Charlie Jones, a 35 year old cast member. “I am forced to talk to more people now and I have to actually help them. I don’t like this game” he continues.

Children and adults such as Tamara, feel that because of this game they are typing faster and have an augmented vocabulary. They believe they can speak and write better than before. “Vmk is fun. It is fun because I don’t play none other games. I like talking at people and they like to talk at me too. No game is funner” says Tamara. Other Virtual Magic Kingdom players have agreed with her.

I hate it when people say stuff about other things when they don't really know the facts :sad2: . If they just let their child play VMK than maybe they can see the reality and how fun it is. Also the game is a place to do quests have fun do trades and alot of other stuff. This child is not suffering at all. I can see why she likes it. Its fun,nice,and sometimes it can give you a rest. If you've had a bad day at school/work its the place to relax. And its like a virtual place to be at WDW,DL,HKDL. But not really there. It gives kids a disney fix. So I don't know what they have a problem w/ VMK. Just my opinion.

- :tink:
Ktink94/MariaAnn

They don't realize how many people play this game. I am 15 and love it. It's something fun to do and everything else. :banana:

PolyFish said:
They don't realize how many people play this game. I am 15 and love it. It's something fun to do and everything else. :banana:

I am "12" and <3 it so much!!! Can you say i am addicted?

Too funny, that was very well written, congratulations to the writer, must of been someone who loves disney!!

it has not changed me any and i dont see what is so bad about it why dont they try playing it for once in their lives

“Tamara has taken an interest in that Mickey Mouse character”, says Matthew Donovan. “She seems to find his cartoons funny and enjoyable. I hate to see my little girl suffer like this.”

How can you suffer when you are having fun? What's wrong about watching cartoons, and laughing? Should a kid at that age be understanding how an H-Bomb is created or Einstein's Theory Of Relativity?

False! You can say "school". How can their parents guess the grammar she is using when speaking, if what she's saying is verbal and the only auditive difference you would note is "hat"?

“I have seen too many students wearing Disney hair bows and shirts. I have even seen pencils with Disney designs on them”, says second grade teacher Julie Harris.

Oh that's cool. Sadly I've seen too many people wearing Nike clothing, is it a matter to worry that sports people wear Nike outfits? What is it better, to find a pencil with Disney designs or a pencil with answers written for a test all around? (I've done this, it works ;))

One word: LAZY!!

Children and adults such as Tamara, feel that because of this game they are typing faster and have an augmented vocabulary. They believe they can speak and write better than before.

That's perfectly true. My grades in all English subjects have increased from 6~7 to 9~10.

I'm not saying what they say is completely missed, since yes, VMK is very addictive, but they should take a look at what they write.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Thats the best thing I've read in along while, thanks for the giggles whoever wrote it.

~straightens disney hair bow, and shapens mickey mouse pencil~

Loves Disney said:
“...I am forced to talk to more people now and I have to actually help them. I don’t like this game...”

Nice...

“...I am forced to talk to more people now and I have to actually help them. I don’t like this game...”
I think this was one of the VMK central staff that was there last September when we went.

aprncess said:
Too funny, that was very well written, congratulations to the writer, must of been someone who loves disney!!

I thought it was very poorly written. It didn't sound like a professional writer at all. It didn't answer the questions that writers are suppose to answer:
who, what, when, where and how.

Here's what I think...

Coming back from DLR, I was incredibly sad. But I was looking forward to playing VMK and putting in the codes that I had recieved! It helps beat the sadness of coming back because it is like visiting everyday!

cat_herder said:
I thought it was very poorly written. It didn't sound like a professional writer at all. It didn't answer the questions that writers are suppose to answer:
who, what, when, where and how.

lol sure it did....who...... the 12 year old girl and other vmk players, what..... disney and vmk game addiction....when....presently....where..... online and park frenzies......how.....causes grief among parents and cast members

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter