TSA pre check sign up

blackpearl77

DIS Veteran
How long does it take to get your number? Do you think I’m too late to get it when we fly on April 8th?

How long does it take to get your number? Do you think I’m too late to get it when we fly on April 8th?

You may get your number by then, you may not. Is an immediate appointment available? My DH & I went at the same time several years ago. He got his approval in days. Took over 6 weeks for me. You never know for sure how long it will take.

Last edited:
Wow that’s a big difference! Basically it’s a gamble at this point. Looks like I can’t check if appointments are available without filling out the online application and paying??

I went last year as a walk in and had my number in less than a week. Same for my kids. I knew there was a possibility it could take longer and figured if I didn't have it for my trip 2 weeks later at least I would for future trips. We were traveling to Hawaii and island hopping- getting it saved us tons of time in lines!

Wow that’s a big difference! Basically it’s a gamble at this point. Looks like I can’t check if appointments are available without filling out the online application and paying??
Appointments for Precheck are readily available. It's appointments for Global Entry that are hard to come by. For Precheck, they are doing the "interview" which is really just a doc check and fingerprinting. I did mine pre pandemic, with my wife at the same appointment, she got her KTN in three days and I got mine in five. I'd say the average is about a week. I'd say it's worth the gamble, do you fly at least once a year? Would it still be useful to you if you don't have it for this trip?

My husband and I did ours last August (I think) for a trip in late September. Appointments were abundant at our local Staples store, and we were in and out in about 20 minutes. We did the passport, ID, picture, whatever the requirements were. I believe we had our KTN in about 24 hours. So you may have time. (I wonder if the valid passport expediates them?)

A number of factors could impact how fast you get your KTN, no one here can say for sure. I signed up for it a few years ago and I seem to recall my assigned number showed up a couple of weeks later. It is certainly worth getting if you fly a few times per year. The TSA-precheck lines are usually shorter and tend to have people familiar with the procedures so everything moves faster. In the regular security lines you always seem to get people who act like this is their first time at an airport, have no idea what to do or think the security procedures won't apply to them.

In the regular security lines you always seem to get people who act like this is their first time at an airport, have no idea what to do or think the security procedures won't apply to them.
Couldn’t believe how much liquid I saw seized out of the normal TSA line last week at my home airport. In the <5 mins I was breezing through with TSA Pre: one person was turned around to go empty her re-usable bottle and try security again, another had a massive perfume bottle, another had a plastic water bottle. And on return when I glanced over there I saw a TSA agent holding a full size Powerade in each hand emphatically talking to the passenger with the bag being searched. I would lose my mind in normal TSA lines 🤣

A bit over 5 years ago when first enrolling it took about 3.5 weeks to get my KTN. When I renwewed recently I had my KTN the next business day. When we took DD to enroll her last year before her 13th birthday, she had a KTN about 3 days later.

If you end up getting your KTN in time, don't forget to go back into your flight reservation and add it. It will not automatically be added to existing reservations.

To add to what @Gary2T said, also be sure to put it in your airlines profile/frequent flier account for the future.

Couldn’t believe how much liquid I saw seized out of the normal TSA line last week at my home airport. In the <5 mins I was breezing through with TSA Pre: one person was turned around to go empty her re-usable bottle and try security again, another had a massive perfume bottle, another had a plastic water bottle. And on return when I glanced over there I saw a TSA agent holding a full size Powerade in each hand emphatically talking to the passenger with the bag being searched. I would lose my mind in normal TSA lines 🤣
Last time I had to go through the regular security line because I got flagged for secondary screening at YYZ I saw a lady arguing with a TSA agent over a Costco-sized jar of peanut butter for like 5 entire minutes and I wondered why the universe was punishing me.

re: KTNs timing. I have Global Entry and when I applied for it a few years ago, I managed to get a next day appt at JFK and walked out of the interview with my KTN. I swear it's because I work in govt and my "background check" probably just consisted of them calling up the city's admin agency. They practically draw your blood and investigate your pets when the city hires you.

I can say as a once or twice a year flyer, this happened to me. COMPLETELY forgetting the "no liquid" thing, I was in the regular TSA line with a swig of water left in my water bottle that I intentionally kept because I knew I had to take medication waiting for the plane. Then I knew I could throw the bottle away. Yeah, get there and the agent was like, is there something in there? I was like, OH CRAP! I just took it out and threw it in the trash. But totally spaced that it was liquid. lol 🤣😂

Once I got my KTN I added it to every airline website profile I ever use. Then when printing your boarding pass, you can see if the pre-check indicator is there before ever leaving for the airport. Also gives you time at home to correct anything that might have been caused by 'user error'.

Appointments for Precheck are readily available. It's appointments for Global Entry that are hard to come by. For Precheck, they are doing the "interview" which is really just a doc check and fingerprinting. I did mine pre pandemic, with my wife at the same appointment, she got her KTN in three days and I got mine in five. I'd say the average is about a week. I'd say it's worth the gamble, do you fly at least once a year? Would it still be useful to you if you don't have it for this trip?
The time from when we applied for Global Entry and got the appointment was 13 months.

The time from when we applied for Global Entry and got the appointment was 13 months.
I applied last week and am still waiting for my conditional approval before I even look. I know I'm going to have to drive at least an hour and a half, probably more like 5 for my GE appointment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter