Trying to help a friend; can Disney force someone in a wheelchair to leave the chair or ECV in order to ride the attraction?

DisSurfer878

DIS Veteran
A friend is concerned over an upcoming trip as on their last trip, a party member who is disabled with a mobility related disability was forced to leave their chair and stand if they wanted to ride and was given no other option. Their disability has worsened and this is no longer an option, but due to it being a mobility disability, they don't qualify for a DAS. Can Disney legally force this person to leave their chair/ECV to ride or else refuse them entry or other options? What should they do if they encounter this problem again? Note: person can transfer with assistance from party members

Do you know what attraction it was? Each attraction at Disney will fall into one of the following categories:
  • May remain in wheelchair/ECV
  • Must transfer from wheelchair/ECV to ride vehicle
  • Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair
  • Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair, and from wheelchair to ride vehicle
  • Must be ambulatory
Disney World has an accessibility guide that details which attractions are in each of these categories. This information should help your friend with planning their upcoming trip.

Adding - if the trip is to Disneyland, their corresponding information can be found here.

Do you know what attraction it was? Each attraction at Disney will fall into one of the following categories:
  • May remain in wheelchair/ECV
  • Must transfer from wheelchair/ECV to ride vehicle
  • Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair
  • Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair, and from wheelchair to ride vehicle
  • Must be ambulatory
Disney World has an accessibility guide that details which attractions are in each of these categories. This information should help your friend with planning their upcoming trip.
It was a bunch of attractions. Not just one. It wasn't the attraction itself, it was the line. The party member cannot stand for more than 5 or so minutes now, and they are worried because last time they kept asking if they could stay IN THE LINE in their chair and then transfer, and were told no and offered no other solutions just said they had to leave the chair and stand in line or they could leave. ALSO, this is DISNEYLAND CALIFORNIA, not WDW.

I’m not sure what your friend encountered, but my guess is there might have been some misunderstanding.
bluecruiser posted links to both the WDW and Disneyland Disability Guides.
Because Disneyland is older, there are some attractions where guests must be ambulatory because there is no accessible way. This list is copied from the guide:
Must Be Ambulatory
These attractions require Guests to walk by themselves or be assisted by members of their party.
There are also some attractions where the line is wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. For those, the guest must either walk in line or transfer to an attraction wheelchair because their ECV won’t fit in the line or somewhere along in the attraction. This is a list of those attractions from the Disneyland guide.
Must Transfer from ECV to Wheelchair to Ride Attraction
Depending on the size of the Electric Conveyance Vehicle (ECV), a Guest may be required to transfer from their Electric Conveyance Vehicle (ECV) to an available wheelchair at the attraction.

[/QUOTE
I’m not sure what your friend encountered, but my guess is there might have been some .
bluecruiser posted links to both the WDW and Disneyland Disability Guides.
Because Disneyland is older, there are some attractions where guests must be ambulatory because there is no accessible way. This list is copied from the guide:
Must Be Ambulatory
These attractions require Guests to walk by themselves or be assisted by members of their party.
There are also some attractions where the line is wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. For those, the guest must either walk in line or transfer to an attraction wheelchair because their ECV won’t fit in the line or somewhere along in the attraction. This is a list of those attractions from the Disneyland guide.
Must Transfer from ECV to Wheelchair to Ride Attraction
Depending on the size of the Electric Conveyance Vehicle (ECV), a Guest may be required to transfer from their Electric Conveyance Vehicle (ECV) to an available wheelchair at the attraction.
yes, I understand this. This was not for things like the treehouse. This was for rides like haunted mansion. They weren't given the option to use the wheelchair entrance and transfer there, or anything else. Just told they had to park the wheelchair in stroller parking and stand in the regular line like everyone else.

As noted above, various attractions may have different accessibility.
  • Some attractions will allow the guest to remain in their wheelchair or ECV straight through the ride, no need to transfer at all.
  • Some attractions will allow the guest to remain in a wheelchair but not an ECV, in which case there should be a wheelchair provided at the attraction.
  • Some attractions use an alternate entrance for those with mobility devices because the regular standby queue is not accessible (it may have stairs).
  • Some attractions are noted as "must be ambulatory" in which case neither a wheelchair nor ECV can access the attraction and the guest must walk.

@bluecruiser linked to the Disneyland accessibility information that lists each attraction. I'm not sure if your friends had a misunderstanding, or the CMs didn't understand their need to remain on the wheelchair/ECV (and which device they were using may make a difference as well).

[/QUOTE

yes, I understand this. This was not for things like the treehouse. This was for rides like haunted mansion. They weren't given the option to use the wheelchair entrance and transfer there, or anything else. Just told they had to park the wheelchair in stroller parking and stand in the regular line like everyone else.

As someone who goes to DL pretty regularly with my electric wheelchair, this sounds like a misunderstanding. Yes, at HM they have wheelchairs/ECVs park where strollers park, BUT they usually ask me whether I can walk first, and you don't wait in line with everyone else - you join them as they enter the stretching room. Now, at DL you do have to go through the stretching room because it's an actual elevator (sorry, spoilers) unlike WDW where they send you through the exit, but I've definitely seen people take their mobility device in. I don't think I've even seen people need to take a loaner-chair the way you do at Pirates, which would make more sense at HM based on how it's set up. Sometimes the CMs don't think to ask if you can walk/stand at all, especially people in ECVs, but the protocol at that point is to ask the CM how to proceed if you can't do so. I've never seen/heard them tell people that they can't go in that way. I know I've seen wheelchairs at the doom buggy loading station before, too.

I will say though that there have been a few times I've needed to be...let's say "extra clear" with CMs about what I can and can't do, what I would like to have happen, etc. They don't tend to assume you need the full accessibility gambit unless you tell them so, because so many people can walk/stand at least a little. For example, at TSMM there's a car you can drive your wheelchair onto, but they don't offer that unless you tell them that's what you need - they tell you to park your device on the side and walk the roughly 6 steps to get into the car. If that's not an option, you definitely need to tell them or they will assume what works for most people will work for you. It's frustrating, but honestly I'm so used to it that I consider it part of the "gimp tax" - the extra junk we have to deal with. Needing to speak up, be clear about abilities even when it's uncomfortable, or travel with someone who's willing to be "the jerk" and demand you get what you need.

So I'm not sure where the miscommunication was, but it's definitely not the usual operating procedure - nor what should have happened.. I'm sorry your friend had such a rotten experience.

So I'm not sure where the miscommunication was, but it's definitely not the usual operating procedure - nor what should have happened.. I'm sorry your friend had such a rotten experience.

Yes, replying to my own post. I went on youtube because I realized I couldn't picture the alternate entrance, and I found a couple videos people had taken of boarding/deboarding HM with a wheelchair. It's definitely possible (and kind of awesome because you take the stretching room back UP to ground level, so...the shrinking room? It's like Alice in Wonderland or something!).

Anyway, the short answer is that DL - or WDW - can require a person to get out of their ECV or other mobility device in order to ride if the device can't be accommodated on the ride vehicle. They are also allowed to require a person to transfer from an ECV or electric wheelchair into a manual chair to go through the line. I hate it, but they're allowed to. But HM isn't one of the attractions where that is generally required.

[/QUOTE

That makes zero sense. There had to be some confusion on both sides for this to happen. The wheelchair entrance is for wheelchairs. Why would they say a person in a wheelchair could not use the wheelchair entrance?
Were you with them? Or is this second hand reports of what happened?

As someone who goes to DL pretty regularly with my electric wheelchair, this sounds like a misunderstanding. Yes, at HM they have wheelchairs/ECVs park where strollers park, BUT they usually ask me whether I can walk first, and you don't wait in line with everyone else - you join them as they enter the stretching room. Now, at DL you do have to go through the stretching room because it's an actual elevator (sorry, spoilers) unlike WDW where they send you through the exit, but I've definitely seen people take their mobility device in. I don't think I've even seen people need to take a loaner-chair the way you do at Pirates, which would make more sense at HM based on how it's set up. Sometimes the CMs don't think to ask if you can walk/stand at all, especially people in ECVs, but the protocol at that point is to ask the CM how to proceed if you can't do so. I've never seen/heard them tell people that they can't go in that way. I know I've seen wheelchairs at the doom buggy loading station before, too.

I will say though that there have been a few times I've needed to be...let's say "extra clear" with CMs about what I can and can't do, what I would like to have happen, etc. They don't tend to assume you need the full accessibility gambit unless you tell them so, because so many people can walk/stand at least a little. For example, at TSMM there's a car you can drive your wheelchair onto, but they don't offer that unless you tell them that's what you need - they tell you to park your device on the side and walk the roughly 6 steps to get into the car. If that's not an option, you definitely need to tell them or they will assume what works for most people will work for you. It's frustrating, but honestly I'm so used to it that I consider it part of the "gimp tax" - the extra junk we have to deal with. Needing to speak up, be clear about abilities even when it's uncomfortable, or travel with someone who's willing to be "the jerk" and demand you get what you need.

This was extremely helpful thank you. I do believe there was miscommunication, but I wanted to confirm that a CM couldn't just tell someone they can't use their wheelchair or use a wheelchair accessible entrance where available. Thanks

This was extremely helpful thank you. I do believe there was miscommunication, but I wanted to confirm that a CM couldn't just tell someone they can't use their wheelchair or use a wheelchair accessible entrance where available. Thanks
We do WDW, not Disneyland, with our daughter who can’t stand or walk. We’ve been going with her for many years, so know the drill.
We still run into things occasionally that are miscommunication, either on the CMs‘ part or on the part of the guest.
The reason I posted the list of ‘must be ambulatory’ attractions is that other than those, a wheelchair can be taken all the way to boarding. Some thru the regular way (Mainstream Access), some thru a different wheelchair accessible entrance. Besides the guidebook, the park maps and also signs at the line entrances have icons for the different accessibility levels.

Misconceptions I’ve seen at WDW have usually involved a guest at a Mainstream Access attraction asking to use the ‘wheelchair entrance’ and being told there was no special entrance.
I can’t remember which attraction it was, but we had a situation a couple of years ago where we were planning to use the wheelchair accessible ride car. I will admit that both my husband and I had apparently gone on ‘autopilot’, so this was mostly our fault.
When we got close to the boarding area, the CM said, ”You can park your wheelchair here and walk to spots 4, 5 and 6 to board“ (about 20 feet away from where she pointed to park the wheelchair). I said we needed the wheelchair car; the CM said, “She [pointing at my daughter] said she could transfer”. My daughter can’t talk, but she understands very well and had nodded her head when the CM asked if she could transfer (both my husband and I had totally missed that exchange).
We cleared it up with the CM and got the wheelchair car. I also informed our daughter that if she’s asked if she can transfer, she needs to answer “no”. She was not happy about that and used sign language to tell me “Dad help”.
Since then, we pay more attention and are really direct about what we need - accessible vehicle when there is one, bring wheelchair up within inches of ride vehicle, full stop of moving walkway, etc.
I‘d suggest your friend be really direct about what they need as they enter a line and again as they get to boarding

The words I use are "I cannot transfer". That lets the CM know right away that I can't just stand up and walk - cuts out that entire part of the conversation.

I think my friend, @fabfemmeboy hit the nail on the head - so many (in fact, possibly the majority) of folks who use personal mobility devices at both WDW and DL *can* walk a few steps, or don't use one in their daily lives at home. CMs are quite used to seeing someone in a wheelchair stand up and walk to ride vehicles, show seats, and to dining tables all the time. It made a huge difference in the amount of conversation we had with CMs on our last trip when I would just politely tell them that I couldn't transfer; most of them understood that right away.

The words I use are "I cannot transfer". That lets the CM know right away that I can't just stand up and walk - cuts out that entire part of the conversation.

Or, depending on circumstances, "I can transfer but I can't walk." For things like HM, where you do need to transfer into the ride vehicle but the CM will assume you can manage the stretching room and hallway without a mobility device...or BTMRR at WDW where they will try to make you park way down at the exit and walk up the platform to board the very back car for some reason... Once they hear those magic words, they've generally been quite accommodating and helpful. It's just that they assume most people can walk/stand at least a bit until or unless told otherwise.

Or, depending on circumstances, "I can transfer but I can't walk." For things like HM, where you do need to transfer into the ride vehicle but the CM will assume you can manage the stretching room and hallway without a mobility device...or BTMRR at WDW where they will try to make you park way down at the exit and walk up the platform to board the very back car for some reason... Once they hear those magic words, they've generally been quite accommodating and helpful. It's just that they assume most people can walk/stand at least a bit until or unless told otherwise.
this!
If a guest says, ”I can’t transfer,” they may likely be told, “I’m sorry. This attraction requires a transfer.”
Either my husband or I are always with our daughter. I have instructed her that if she’s asked, she should respond “No” because she is able to nod or shake her head, but can’t talk to explain. That’s the best answer if we don’t hear her being asked because it will lead to the CM saying something else we will hear.
My answer to “Can you transfer?” is “We can lift her on. We need the wheelchair as close as possible.”
The more brief, but exact, the better.

[/QUOTE

Before COVID Haunted Mansion had stopped allowing ECVs into the indoor portion of the queue, but a park provided wheelchair was available, but you had to ask and sometimes get a lead involved to get it. I am happy to report that at least on July 17th, they were allowing ECVs through the entire queue, you could take them straight up to the ride vehicle if need be. There were similar issues with Rise of the Resistance, which have also been corrected.

The only attraction that might still be an issue is Star Tours, but again there would be a park provided wheelchair.

I will try to go through each attraction and what options there are (note policies can change, but always tell them you need to take the ECV as far as possible and if you need to transfer to a wheelchair, you need to take it up to the ride vehicle). Note these are specifically for Disneyland, Disney World.

Tiki Room - There is a ramp to the left, you can remain in a chair or ECV. If it is a busy day, ask if you can leave via the entrance, as it can be difficult to get across the line for the Dole whip place at the exit.

Jungle Cruise - A return time will be provided, you will return to the exit of the attraction. You can remain in the scooter OR transfer, taking the scooter right up to the boat. If you transfer, they have boxes they will out in for you to make stepping in and out easier. In general, CMs aren't allowed to provide any assistance with transferring, this is one of the exceptions where they will provide a steadying hand and a little assistance up.

Indiana Jones - You will enter through the designated queue (which varies) after a return time. You can take the ECV all the way up to the ride vehicle. Be aware that In some circumstances the vehicle may come back to the side opposite of where your mobility device is, especially if they didn't have you use the elevator. Should this occur, DO NOT get off the ride vehicle, inform the ride attendant, generally they will have you ride a second time to get back on the correct side.

Tarzan's Treehouse, there is an entrance near Pirates that lets you explore the base of the tree, not too exciting, but is an option.

Pirates - You will be given a return time, when you come back, you will enter through the exit and can take the ECV all the way up to the boat.

Train (all stations except Main Street), you will use the designated wheelchair entrance, which is usually the same as one of the exits and you can remain in your ECV; however, you may have to wait for more than one train and at present they only seem to be running one train, which means 20 to.30.minutes. if you are making a round trip, let them know and they will advise where the ECV can be parked.

Haunted Mansion - presently you can take an ECV all the way to the ride vehicle, if this changes, there will be a wheelchair available, but you have to ask for it.

Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island - Can remain in ECV and most of the island is accessible, but some trails.and caverns aren't.

Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes - There is a lift, but it is small, so you may need to leave the ECV at the top, just let the CMs know you can't stand long and they can tell you when you should come down.

Big Thunder - you will return to the exit after a return time and can take an ECV all the way to the ride vehicle. Ask for the transfer row if you need to avoid the step down, otherwise ask for the back row.

Splash Mountain - You will return to the exit after a return time and can go all the way to the ride vehicle.

Winnie the Pooh - most mobility devices fit through the standard queue (there are a couple within the rules.for the park that don't and the Cans are usually good at spotting those and sending you to the exit), so you can take it through the queue. Most ECVs can fit on the accessible vehicle. Basically a Victory 10 or smaller (3 wheel will be easier), the current park rentals should also fit.

Rise and Smugglers run - can take the ECV all the way through the queue up to the ride vehicles.

Fantasyland Dark Rides - They presently.ask you to park outside the exit of the attraction if possible and walk in through the exit after a return time. Virtually no wait, but if the distance will be too much, let the CM outside the exit know you can transfer, but can't walk that far and they will advise. Generally, they will then let you take the ECV right up to the ride vehicle, they are just trying to minimize the number being brought up there due to limited space.

Carousel - Can remain in ECV

Casey Jr./Storybook Land Canal Boats/Alice in Wonderland/Teacups/Dumbo/Matterhorn - Can take ECV right up to ride vehicles. Some need to go through exit

Small world - can remain in ECV (most ECVs)

Roger Rabbit - can take ECV right up to ride vehicle, exact procedure varies with line length and FP queue use.

Gadgets Go Coaster - enter through exit and can take ECV up to ride vehicle.

Finding Nemo Subs - can take ECV up to ride vehicle, but there are stairs to go down and the alternative experience is honestly a lot more comfortable.

Autopia - can take ECV right up to ride vehicle. Procedure depends on if the lift is working or not.

Launch Bay - ECVs allowed in, but kind of pointless with no meet and greets.

Space Mountain - enter through the exit, can take ECV right up to a ride vehicle that is pulled off to the side allowing an unlimited amount of time for transferring.

Star Tours - Need to transfer to a wheelchair that can be brought right up to the ride vehicle.

Astro Orbiter - ECV can be taken right up to ride vehicle.

Buzz - Can accommodate most ECVs, but may require a transfer if not.

Great moments with Mr Lincoln/Main Street Cinema - can remain in ECV

Animation Academy/Philharmagic - Can Remain in ECV

Monsters Inc - Can accommodate most ECVs smaller than the old 4 wheel park scooters

Guardians/Spider Man - Can take ECV right up to ride vehicle

All cars land attractions - Take ECV up to the ride vehicle, but requires transfer.

Toy Story - Requires transfer to manual wheelchair or ride vehicle, but can take ECV up to ride vehicle.

Carousel - May remain in ECV

Incredicoaster - can take ECV up to ride vehicle

Ferris Wheel - Can remain in ECV (I do not recommend this on the swinging gondolas)

Jumping Jellyfish - can take ECV right up to ride

Little Mermaid - can accommodate some ECVs, otherwise ECV can be brought up to ride vehicle

Grizzly River Run - use the pull of for mobility devices and can take ECV right up to ride vehicle.

There are portions of Grizzly Creek Challenge trail that are fully accessible.

Soarin - Can take ECV right up to ride vehicle, if you can't walk the distance they want you to after parking it, let the CM know and they will park it for you.

As to if you will need return times, it will vary based on the attraction, length of line, etc., So just ask.

And in all cases, if your needs are not being met, just tell the CM and they will do what they can to find a solution, but keep it concise, like I can transfer, but not stand for more than 3 to 5 minutes.

Also, some attractions will ask if you can handle stairs if it breaks down, answering no will not usually prevent you from riding, but may result in a longer wait.

Yes, I’m reminded of several such experiences. Like times when I would have needed to transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair, but there were no wheelchairs available and the CM just shrugged. Or when the CM at Pirates said he “wasn’t allowed” to send me up in the elevator when the speed ramp was broken. No policy or procedure is going to work all of the time if the CMs don’t understand, aren’t trained enough, or are too understaffed to do what needs to be done.

Yes, I’m reminded of several such experiences. Like times when I would have needed to transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair, but there were no wheelchairs available and the CM just shrugged. Or when the CM at Pirates said he “wasn’t allowed” to send me up in the elevator when the speed ramp was broken. No policy or procedure is going to work all of the time if the CMs don’t understand, aren’t trained enough, or are too understaffed to do what needs to be done.
At pirates at WDW, if that is the case, you simply refuse to leave the boat that way you can sit until they come up with a solution. They can't move the boat, holding up the entire ride, so they will find a solution fast.

Before COVID Haunted Mansion had stopped allowing ECVs into the indoor portion of the queue, but a park provided wheelchair was available, but you had to ask and sometimes get a lead involved to get it. I am happy to report that at least on July 17th, they were allowing ECVs through the entire queue, you could take them straight up to the ride vehicle if need be. There were similar issues with Rise of the Resistance, which have also been corrected.

The only attraction that might still be an issue is Star Tours, but again there would be a park provided wheelchair.

I will try to go through each attraction and what options there are (note policies can change, but always tell them you need to take the ECV as far as possible and if you need to transfer to a wheelchair, you need to take it up to the ride vehicle). Note these are specifically for Disneyland, Disney World.

Tiki Room - There is a ramp to the left, you can remain in a chair or ECV. If it is a busy day, ask if you can leave via the entrance, as it can be difficult to get across the line for the Dole whip place at the exit.

Jungle Cruise - A return time will be provided, you will return to the exit of the attraction. You can remain in the scooter OR transfer, taking the scooter right up to the boat. If you transfer, they have boxes they will out in for you to make stepping in and out easier. In general, CMs aren't allowed to provide any assistance with transferring, this is one of the exceptions where they will provide a steadying hand and a little assistance up.

Indiana Jones - You will enter through the designated queue (which varies) after a return time. You can take the ECV all the way up to the ride vehicle. Be aware that In some circumstances the vehicle may come back to the side opposite of where your mobility device is, especially if they didn't have you use the elevator. Should this occur, DO NOT get off the ride vehicle, inform the ride attendant, generally they will have you ride a second time to get back on the correct side.

Tarzan's Treehouse, there is an entrance near Pirates that lets you explore the base of the tree, not too exciting, but is an option.

Pirates - You will be given a return time, when you come back, you will enter through the exit and can take the ECV all the way up to the boat.

Train (all stations except Main Street), you will use the designated wheelchair entrance, which is usually the same as one of the exits and you can remain in your ECV; however, you may have to wait for more than one train and at present they only seem to be running one train, which means 20 to.30.minutes. if you are making a round trip, let them know and they will advise where the ECV can be parked.

Haunted Mansion - presently you can take an ECV all the way to the ride vehicle, if this changes, there will be a wheelchair available, but you have to ask for it.

Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island - Can remain in ECV and most of the island is accessible, but some trails.and caverns aren't.

Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes - There is a lift, but it is small, so you may need to leave the ECV at the top, just let the CMs know you can't stand long and they can tell you when you should come down.

Big Thunder - you will return to the exit after a return time and can take an ECV all the way to the ride vehicle. Ask for the transfer row if you need to avoid the step down, otherwise ask for the back row.

Splash Mountain - You will return to the exit after a return time and can go all the way to the ride vehicle.

Winnie the Pooh - most mobility devices fit through the standard queue (there are a couple within the rules.for the park that don't and the Cans are usually good at spotting those and sending you to the exit), so you can take it through the queue. Most ECVs can fit on the accessible vehicle. Basically a Victory 10 or smaller (3 wheel will be easier), the current park rentals should also fit.

Rise and Smugglers run - can take the ECV all the way through the queue up to the ride vehicles.

Fantasyland Dark Rides - They presently.ask you to park outside the exit of the attraction if possible and walk in through the exit after a return time. Virtually no wait, but if the distance will be too much, let the CM outside the exit know you can transfer, but can't walk that far and they will advise. Generally, they will then let you take the ECV right up to the ride vehicle, they are just trying to minimize the number being brought up there due to limited space.

Carousel - Can remain in ECV

Casey Jr./Storybook Land Canal Boats/Alice in Wonderland/Teacups/Dumbo/Matterhorn - Can take ECV right up to ride vehicles. Some need to go through exit

Small world - can remain in ECV (most ECVs)

Roger Rabbit - can take ECV right up to ride vehicle, exact procedure varies with line length and FP queue use.

Gadgets Go Coaster - enter through exit and can take ECV up to ride vehicle.

Finding Nemo Subs - can take ECV up to ride vehicle, but there are stairs to go down and the alternative experience is honestly a lot more comfortable.

Autopia - can take ECV right up to ride vehicle. Procedure depends on if the lift is working or not.

Launch Bay - ECVs allowed in, but kind of pointless with no meet and greets.

Space Mountain - enter through the exit, can take ECV right up to a ride vehicle that is pulled off to the side allowing an unlimited amount of time for transferring.

Star Tours - Need to transfer to a wheelchair that can be brought right up to the ride vehicle.

Astro Orbiter - ECV can be taken right up to ride vehicle.

Buzz - Can accommodate most ECVs, but may require a transfer if not.

Great moments with Mr Lincoln/Main Street Cinema - can remain in ECV

Animation Academy/Philharmagic - Can Remain in ECV

Monsters Inc - Can accommodate most ECVs smaller than the old 4 wheel park scooters

Guardians/Spider Man - Can take ECV right up to ride vehicle

All cars land attractions - Take ECV up to the ride vehicle, but requires transfer.

Toy Story - Requires transfer to manual wheelchair or ride vehicle, but can take ECV up to ride vehicle.

Carousel - May remain in ECV

Incredicoaster - can take ECV up to ride vehicle

Ferris Wheel - Can remain in ECV (I do not recommend this on the swinging gondolas)

Jumping Jellyfish - can take ECV right up to ride

Little Mermaid - can accommodate some ECVs, otherwise ECV can be brought up to ride vehicle

Grizzly River Run - use the pull of for mobility devices and can take ECV right up to ride vehicle.

There are portions of Grizzly Creek Challenge trail that are fully accessible.

Soarin - Can take ECV right up to ride vehicle, if you can't walk the distance they want you to after parking it, let the CM know and they will park it for you.

As to if you will need return times, it will vary based on the attraction, length of line, etc., So just ask.

And in all cases, if your needs are not being met, just tell the CM and they will do what they can to find a solution, but keep it concise, like I can transfer, but not stand for more than 3 to 5 minutes.

Also, some attractions will ask if you can handle stairs if it breaks down, answering no will not usually prevent you from riding, but may result in a longer wait.

This is a great summary! And as someone who is local to DL and goes a lot, I agree. We use a manual wheelchair there (that now lives in my car). My Mom can walk short distances but it is slow and not always super steady. At rides like Haunted Mansion, she could easily do the walk, but she has been nearly knocked to the ground more than once and if she falls, the whole attraction will close because she would not be able to get up and I am not strong enough to get her up either, so they would be calling for a lot of help to get her on her feet. So I am just very clear that we need it all the way to the ride and that the belt needs to be stopped to give her extra time to get on. Has not been a problem in 2+ years of asking. Your friend just needs to be clear in what is needed at each ride. I find the CMs very nice and always willing to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter