Trips to FW in Feb?

Bichon Barb

<font color=darkorchid>Mmmmm. French fries. Oh to
We've just traded in our Coleman pop up for a new Outback 25RSS. :Pinkbounc :bounce: I'm already thinking FW!

Here's my question: Have any of you driven from the Northeast to Orlando in February? I'm a little weather nervous. And how many days to you take to get down there?

Can't answer your questions but I just posted on the other thread about hopefully trading up and now I see you already did! Congratulations! I hope you have many years enjoying it!

(ps. what is it? I'm not familiar with all the brands/names/etc. Is it a travel trailer, motorhome, fifth wheel? Does the 25 mean 25feet long?)

I did see your thread BBB. Congrats! I was about to answer that pop ups are not that much work as some say, but having no bathroom is a bummer, but then I saw that you bought the hard side. Living where we do, we didn't bother with an air conditioner, but we did have a furnace put in. You wouldn't believe how much that helps on those chilly Spring/Fall mornings. But because we didn't have AC, we'd never consider towing it down to Florida.

BUT, it doesn't matter 'cause now we are going to rough it comfortably ;) . We have a little guilt calling it camping with a built in stereo, a microwave, oven, A/C, etc. :p

The Outback we are buying is 25 ft., it has a pull out hard sided bed in the back, and a slide out couch on the side. Here is a link if you'd like to see it. I believe it is the model that is in the picture:

http://www.keystone-outback.com

Can you tell I'm just a wee bit excited. :Pinkbounc

We too traded up from a pop-up to an Outback 25RSS. We leave this afternoon for our first Camping trip to WDW and FW. Sure going to be glad we have AC now. We are taking 2 days to drive down from Virginia.

How late in February are you planning to go and how far into the Northeast are you? Last Winter was pretty nasty. I think my sister in CT complained of a foot of snow on the ground as late as March. However, towards the end February if you can make it past Virginia you should be ok. Also you would need to dewinterizer a trailer in the Northeast to go in February and probably re-winterize it when you get back. You might want to consider late March. If you are real careful (ie maybe run the furnace in the TT some nights if its going to be real cold) when you get back you could avoid re-winterizing that late in the year.

Congrats on your new Outback, Gary. Please report when you get back!

We live in Syracuse. LOL. We'd probably have to removed 3 feet of snow off the trailer in February. The reason why we like to go (we always fly) in February is because the kids have a mid winter break from school and it breaks up a very long winter. The idea of getting caught in a snow storm is pretty scary. We have to go through NY, PA, a bit of WV and MD, and then a lot of VA. Maybe we'd be better off going during the April break.

They dealer is working hard to get our camper ready by the 4th of July weekend. We have reservations for a campground on an island on Lake Ontario. :Pinkbounc

We have made the trip to Disney in Feb. and it's just a matter of luck when it comes to the weather. Going from Syracuse you Will be heading south on I-81 ? If there is a storm headed our way we try to leave a day early to beat the storm. And try to get over to I-95 ASAP as the temperature difference between I-81 & I-95 (because of the Mts.) can mean the difference between snow or rain. Once you get to the middle of NC you should have it fairly easy after that. Just take your time and pull over and wait it out if need be. Better safe than sorry. You will do fine.

Supercrewzer

We've pulled a trailer to FL several times. Be prepared to pull over at the first sign of a storm (bring a Walmart map with you..most welcome us, as long as we don't pull out the awning, and take advantage). I suggest you keep it winterized until you are well away from the cold and don't be fooled when you come back, into not winterizing until you get home..be sure you do it before you get to the cold. Those little pipes freeze easily in the walls.

You'll love your new trailer! We have a Holiday Rambler (it's about 30.5 feet) and it's our first with a slide. We've had it 3 years already, and I'm still amazed at the room inside. We camped this past week with 3 grands and lots and lots of stuff (just how long did the parents think we were going to keep them LOL?) and it was so hot (as you know) here in NYS, that we had them stay inside and play in the midafternoon, and there was plenty of floor space for a couple of games, as well as the table and couch for the "ol folks". We've tented, and had several trailers, and each one has brought immeasureable joy! It was a real bonding time with our children, and continues to be with our grands.
Doris

I think it was our 2000 trip when we left early to avoid a snowstorm. We were pulling our pop-up with our conversion van. I even drove the NJ turnpike with reduced speed limits and it wasn't that bad. Not when FW is the goal. LOL With the TT you'll have the advantage of being able to use Walmart or Sam's if needed. DH is a high school teacher with no flexibility in schedule, so we often find ourselves on the road on those school vacations. Next April we have reservations for FW, but we may be tenting that trip.

Several years ago we went down in February. The weather report was bad, so we left a day early. We traveled through the worst ice storm I have ever driven through (and I grew up in Buffalo) that stretched all the way down to South Carolina. We spent the night and the next morning the storm followed us through to Georgia. We stayed overnight in Savannah (drove no more than 15 mph in SC) and the next morning woke to snow! Now I haven't seen this kind of weather since, but it does give you something to think about when planning a driving trip to WDW from the Northeast in February!

:(

We took the trailer down to FW in Feb 2000. We woke the morning we left to SNOW! :eek: Not a lot, but enough to make for messy road conditions. We hit that snowy/rain combo well south of DC.

This past year, we went in Dec. NORMALLY, we don't see snow here in the NE that early in the season. The day before we are due to leave a HUGE snow storm hits!!! Instead of packing the trailer that day, like was on my schedule, I was digging out the driveway with 3 kids home with a snowday!! :earseek: We left a bit later than our usual 3 am the next morning....waited til the snowplows hit all the roadways. It was messy (again :rolleyes: ) and we saw the remainders of a nasty ice storm well into SC! Trees were downed all over 95, covered with ice! :(

My advice, I would still go in either month....just be prepared for anything and everything! The weather has gone mad! The weather is beautiful in Disney though! :sunny:

We travel to FW every year in February w/30 ft 5th wheel. We usually start watching the weather a week ahead. Need a little bit of flexibility in your schedule. We make the trip in 2 days, usually staying in a motel the first night (12-14 hr days). We did hit snow one year in NY so we just stopped and got a hotel room, not worth fighting the weather and traffic. We drain the antifreeze when we arrive and put it back in the night before we leave as it gets colder as you head north to New Hampshire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter