Travel Advisory - Canadian’s out of country

Well, given the circumstances, maybe they shouldn’t have left. Sorry. Canceled our trip arriving today & have zero sympathy for those who chose otherwise. Trying to keep things civil though, so I’ll refrain from responding further.
It is and was civil. We travelled south and will start driving back mon..be back tues...i took the risk..i will take the results. Everyone else should know the same and not be yelling or blaming others.

Last edited:
Lots of snowbirds left back before this virus even began.
I get that, but this virus didn’t pop out of nowhere. & snowbirds are amongst the group that A is vulnerable B will be looking for the gov to rescue them C will put massive strain on our healthcare systems when they flee back here too late.

It is and was civil. We travelled south and will start driving back mon..be back tues...i took the risk..i will take the results. Everyone else should know the same and not be yellong or blaming others.
No idea what yellong is, but I stand by what I said. & I said that *I* was trying to keep things civil - hold my own tongue in other words. Your results have nothing to do with it. This is not a private problem, but a public one.

That is so scary . I wonder if all healthy issues will cease to be covered during a pandemic when your country advises you to return home . Insurance tries to make money at all costs .
prayers they rethink

yes, if Canada issues a don't travel advisory my understanding is that you no longer have any coverage for anything by most companies (I know caa mentioned that) and this line in the current page of travel advisory makes me think you'd be sol if anything happens.
This advisory overrides all other risk levels, with the exception of areas for which we advise to avoid all travel (including regional advisories). The avoid all travel advisories remain valid.

Looking for opinions on this.

I have two co-workers who were in Vancouver this week at an international conference. One is returning Monday, the other not until the following Monday (staying in Vancouver). The office has not told them to self-quarantine upon their return.

Do you think that is the right or wrong decision by my office? I have no idea if they themselves plan to quarantine.

Only my opinion, but I think it’s the wrong decision especially if there were hundreds of people.

my In-laws are in Florida right now as snow birds and refusing to drive home even with us sending them info. Still sticking with April 25th as their return. We think they are crazy.
You could suggest to them that if they get sick midst a plethora of sick Americans, they run the risk of the hospitals choosing to give priority to their own citizens. Sounds crazy, but up until this year, so did any doctor having to choose which patient gets the life saving respirator and which dies.

My parents had originally planned to leave FL April 8th but on Thursday my sister and I strongly suggested to them to come back earlier. They are leaving Ft Lauderdale on Tuesday with most of their neighbours and will quarantine themselves when they arrive in Qc city for two weeks. Usually they stop for a night in Montreal when returning but I told them I prefer they go home directly. A little harsh but social distancing is exactly that. We will see them at Easter...

Well, given the circumstances, maybe they shouldn’t have left. Sorry. Canceled our trip arriving today & have zero sympathy for those who chose otherwise. Trying to keep things civil though, so I’ll refrain from responding further.

Your post is rude and offputting. Not everyone just left. Some people have been gone for awhile. Either way, your post is unnecessary and judgemental.

Your post is rude and offputting. Not everyone just left. Some people have been gone for awhile. Either way, your post is unnecessary and judgemental.
Sorry you took it that way. I know many colleagues and « clients » that left to go to Mexico or Florida or the Dominican Friday. And yes, I am upset that others choose to endanger my asthmatic son who has already survived cancer and a non functioning kidney and my asthmatic husband with such callous disregard for fellow citizens. So I guess ***I*** am the ***rude*** one 🤦🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
Looking for opinions on this.

I have two co-workers who were in Vancouver this week at an international conference. One is returning Monday, the other not until the following Monday (staying in Vancouver). The office has not told them to self-quarantine upon their return.

Do you think that is the right or wrong decision by my office? I have no idea if they themselves plan to quarantine.
I think if they don’t look around them and see the massive preparations and warnings being put in place and continue to think that somehow their two employees are exempt from the current thinking, that they are foolish.

My parents had originally planned to leave FL April 8th but on Thursday my sister and I strongly suggested to them to come back earlier. They are leaving Ft Lauderdale on Tuesday with most of their neighbours and will quarantine themselves when they arrive in Qc city for two weeks. Usually they stop for a night in Montreal when returning but I told them I prefer they go home directly. A little harsh but social distancing is exactly that. We will see them at Easter...
Before they get back, go out and get them the groceries and essentials they need for 2weeks. that way they can go straight into isolation.

Before they get back, go out and get them the groceries and essentials they need for 2weeks. that way they can go straight into isolation.

I live 3h from them but my sister will take care of grocery duty for them. They are also bringing back food from FL since they were not planning on coming back before April (they are driving). In fact, I just received a text from my mom that they are leaving Monday morning instead of Tuesday.

The U.S. and Canada would be smart to do what Spain and France has done. Both countries have closed everything except for gas stations and grocery stores. Spain has now banned people from leaving their homes except for work or to get essentials. If you do have to leave only one person per household is allowed to leave at a time.

IMO its the best way to stop the spread since a lot of people aren't taking the social distancing seriously

The U.S. and Canada would be smart to do what Spain and France has done. Both countries have closed everything except for gas stations and grocery stores. Spain has now banned people from leaving their homes except for work or to get essentials. If you do have to leave only one person per household is allowed to leave at a time.

IMO its the best way to stop the spread since a lot of people aren't taking the social distancing seriously
I think it is safe to assume this is coming. I predict 1-2 weeks and we will be on full lockdown as you describe. A good number of my family are in healthcare and preparations are being made to try to cope with a seriously taxed healthcare system. The time for taking this seriously is now. My brother is a Dr. and their professional practice association has told them that they are cleared to work outside of their scope of practice and province. Other provinces are urging retired nurses nurses to quickly renew licenses. These are the first things that have really scared me. This is big and I hope we are ready .

You could suggest to them that if they get sick midst a plethora of sick Americans, they run the risk of the hospitals choosing to give priority to their own citizens. Sounds crazy, but up until this year, so did any doctor having to choose which patient gets the life saving respirator and which dies.
I agree this is a crazy situation and could get very bad but I can't actually see that happening at all. Doctors don't typically ask your nationality before they'll treat you so they would have no idea where you're from. The front desk might know as they're the ones handling insurance and settling the bill, but there would be no reason to pass that info onto the doctor.

I'm American but we live in Ontario (DH is Canadian). We were planning to go to Chicago for a long weekend next week for March Break and also visit DH's sister there. With everything going on, we decided to cancel. The museums are closed now anyways and we're nervous about the border possibly closing. We could stay with my parents in Michigan for any amount of time if we needed to, but we would obviously rather be stuck at home if needed so we didn't want to risk it! I have to say though it will feel really strange to be "stuck" here in Canada and unable to visit my family! We were planning on spending Easter in Michigan but I'm not sure if that will happen now. :(

I was just looking for opinions to see if I was being unreasonable with my own.
Your company is probably following Health Canada's guidelines for those travellers freto monitor their own health but to go ahead with their daily lives until such time as they have symptoms. Is that good enough. These days, no.

The message from the government at the beginning of this thread is in response to the European countries closing their own borders over the last and next few days. Airlines are going to not be able to get people home. Canadians in these countries will be there for the duration. (Poland, Denmark, Italy, Spain that I am aware of at this time).

I don't see any indication yet that the airlines are cancelling flights. I would have thought anything to Orlando next week wouldn't be going but when you look at the seating charts there appear to be butts in seats.

I don't get it... Our window of opportunity to curb this thing is soon closing and too many people seem to not get the message yet.

I don't get it... Our window of opportunity to curb this thing is soon closing and too many people seem to not get the message yet.

Yes, I've heard some people planning to stay longer on their March breaks now that there was no school. (Teachers even....however that was curbed when they were told they had to report in and be available by email.)
I laughed when my hubby said we'll have to tone it down. Um...from what?? The clubbing we do? The fancy restaurants he takes me out to all the time? LOL Not too much changing here.

I don't get it either. Air travel is where most of the cases originated from. I think they need to step this up and do what Spain has done. No one is allowed to leave their homes unless it is to go to work or get essentials. Even then only 1 person per household is allowed out. I'm afraid its the only way to make people understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter