To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Would it surprise you that I once fielded a fantasy hockey team by picking the ugliest of the best available players? Came in second that year. Big bunch of beauties.

That is quite possibly the most amazing way I've ever heard of selecting a fantasy team.

That is quite possibly the most amazing way I've ever heard of selecting a fantasy team.
I mean I still had to make sure I was picking talented players. So there was some skill to it.
My first two picks were great players...just very franken-steiny...so it became clear what had to be done.

16 Days to Go (Do I live in Wisconsin or on Hoth?!?!?!)

hoth.gif

tumblr_mw0e1fssQY1si2x44o1_500.gif

tumblr_ngxyfekLPc1s335jfo1_500.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

12/14/16 - W - MBW light
12/15/16 - R - 2 miles @ 9:47 min/mile + 10 miles @ 7:33 min/mile + 2 miles @ 9:47 min/mile
12/16/16 - F - 6 miles @ 9:01 or slower min/mile
12/17/16 - Sat - 10 miles @ 8:33 or slower min/mile + MBW light
12/18/16 - Sun - FROZEN HOTH + MBW light
12/19/16 - M - 18 miles @ 8:13 min/mile
12/20/16 - T - 6 miles @ 9:01 or slower min/mile

Total mileage = 54 miles
Number of intervals within pace = ?/? (?%) *I'd say 100% based on "effort"

To say the least, this was a cold cold week.

The 10 mile tempo run on Thursday went well. I hit the paces and felt comfortable throughout. It was a -9 wind chill, but there wasn't any real snow/ice to speak of.

Friday was during a snow run. The goal was to keep it easy, so I didn't worry about the pacing. I was able to get it done with about 1-2 inches of snow on the ground.

Saturday was another slog through snow/ice/slush run. I completed in-between snow storms, but it meant the runs were well covered in ick and didn't make life easy. I got it done, but it was slower because of all the extra work the snow made me do.

Sunday was a nope. Because of the -29 wind chill, my wife wouldn't allow me to run outside (for good reason). So the 18 miler needed to be moved to Monday.

Monday was a snow/ice/slush run in -8 wind chill with 15 mph wind. It was also a mid-day run so it messed with my nutrition and hydration timing. All that being said, I got it done. There was a tad fade at the end but that was more me being cognizant of trying to avoid injury because as I became fatigued I didn't want to mis-step with myself in an injury prone condition. After the run was over Gigi wanted to do a Moana dance party, so we did that for about another hour after the 18 mile run. Quite the workout day.

Tuesday was suppose to be a Strength day, but because of the long run on Monday I cancelled the Strength run and made it easy. This will help keep me injury free for the ultimate goal of Dopey. The weather finally broke (hooray for 20s!!!), but now I start heat acclimation training for the remainder of training. This will be done with the hope that my body will adapt to a warmer climate prior to arriving in Florida. My paces might suffer during these heat acclimation training (HAT) runs, but I'm ok with that because I'll just run by effort like I have for most of this training cycle.

Not many days left... Feeling strong, comfortable, and ready to race Dopey! I'm excited to see what he has in store for me this year!

16 Days to Go (Do I live in Wisconsin or on Hoth?!?!?!)

View attachment 211167

View attachment 211166

View attachment 211168

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

12/14/16 - W - MBW light
12/15/16 - R - 2 miles @ 9:47 min/mile + 10 miles @ 7:33 min/mile + 2 miles @ 9:47 min/mile
12/16/16 - F - 6 miles @ 9:01 or slower min/mile
12/17/16 - Sat - 10 miles @ 8:33 or slower min/mile + MBW light
12/18/16 - Sun - FROZEN HOTH + MBW light
12/19/16 - M - 18 miles @ 8:13 min/mile
12/20/16 - T - 6 miles @ 9:01 or slower min/mile

Total mileage = 54 miles
Number of intervals within pace = ?/? (?%) *I'd say 100% based on "effort"

To say the least, this was a cold cold week.

The 10 mile tempo run on Thursday went well. I hit the paces and felt comfortable throughout. It was a -9 wind chill, but there wasn't any real snow/ice to speak of.

Friday was during a snow run. The goal was to keep it easy, so I didn't worry about the pacing. I was able to get it done with about 1-2 inches of snow on the ground.

Saturday was another slog through snow/ice/slush run. I completed in-between snow storms, but it meant the runs were well covered in ick and didn't make life easy. I got it done, but it was slower because of all the extra work the snow made me do.

Sunday was a nope. Because of the -29 wind chill, my wife wouldn't allow me to run outside (for good reason). So the 18 miler needed to be moved to Monday.

Monday was a snow/ice/slush run in -8 wind chill with 15 mph wind. It was also a mid-day run so it messed with my nutrition and hydration timing. All that being said, I got it done. There was a tad fade at the end but that was more me being cognizant of trying to avoid injury because as I became fatigued I didn't want to mis-step with myself in an injury prone condition. After the run was over Gigi wanted to do a Moana dance party, so we did that for about another hour after the 18 mile run. Quite the workout day.

Tuesday was suppose to be a Strength day, but because of the long run on Monday I cancelled the Strength run and made it easy. This will help keep me injury free for the ultimate goal of Dopey. The weather finally broke (hooray for 20s!!!), but now I start heat acclimation training for the remainder of training. This will be done with the hope that my body will adapt to a warmer climate prior to arriving in Florida. My paces might suffer during these heat acclimation training (HAT) runs, but I'm ok with that because I'll just run by effort like I have for most of this training cycle.

Not many days left... Feeling strong, comfortable, and ready to race Dopey! I'm excited to see what he has in store for me this year!

Answer: Hoth. Definitely. Great training week, despite all the obstacles! Excited for Dopey! :)

Would it surprise anyone that I have a spreadsheet for making college basketball predictions?

View attachment 211145
View attachment 211146
View attachment 211147

I had 64 brackets made last year. The goal was to enter as many contests as possible to win something. I did not. I created a bracket prediction tool using 538's probability power rankings tool (similar to Ken Pomeroy's Log5 calc) and then the random probability of one team beating another based on those odds of occurrence.

The 5-year old twins who won the WSJ's contest one year & finished second the next did so because they liked saying the butt in Butler. I had a kid in my pool win one year by choosing which mascot would beat up the other in each game. Sigh.

The 5-year old twins who won the WSJ's contest one year & finished second the next did so because they liked saying the butt in Butler. I had a kid in my pool win one year by choosing which mascot would beat up the other in each game. Sigh.

LOL that's funny. I guess that's why we keep playing because it's so darn random that sometimes no knowledge of can and can nots wins out. I view my system merely like a weighted lottery. My picks aren't likely to win, but they are statistically relevant assuming the log5 odds are correct and one team would beat another 73.2% of the time. So usually my collection of brackets ends up having the statistical probability of each pathway to an extent. Then it's just about getting lucky.

It took me quite a few lunch breaks to read this entire thread (lurker). All I can say is wow, the level of detail you put into your training and data analysis is off the charts. My training for the past few years has been very casual. Mostly beginner / survive type programs. You've inspired me to kick it up a notch. Looks like I have some more reading to do. First thing when I get back from WDW is picking up the Hanson's book. I need to set some new goals for Chicago 2017. By looking at your progress, I know what's realistic. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

It took me quite a few lunch breaks to read this entire thread (lurker). All I can say is wow, the level of detail you put into your training and data analysis is off the charts. My training for the past few years has been very casual. Mostly beginner / survive type programs. You've inspired me to kick it up a notch. Looks like I have some more reading to do. First thing when I get back from WDW is picking up the Hanson's book. I need to set some new goals for Chicago 2017. By looking at your progress, I know what's realistic. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

I appreciate you taking the time to read through this entire thread. I said it before but there should be a medal for that! Getting through all my incoherent rambling and #math!

I always felt like there was something more. Something more I could be doing, reading, learning, etc. The Spring 2015 marathon was a crutch point for me that forced me to make a decision. I either needed to do something different (training, food, etc.) or adjust my goals. I'm not one to give up and it led me to picking up the Hansons book (and then many other resources) to just learn about running. So I can definitely understand the casual, beginner/survive type of approach because I was there and that's what I did too. But Hansons and the other resources truly opened my eyes to a whole different view on how to get better. In the simplest form, train slower to race faster. On the surface, it seemed ridiculous. But I bought into other plans that seemed to fall short for me, so I gave this fundamental change a try. And as you've read, I've never looked back. I do believe that the progress I've seen has been tremendous, but it doesn't have to be unique. I feel under the right circumstances of training the philosophies used in these books can be translatable to almost all of us. So I wish you the best of luck with WDW weekend and with what 2017 holds for you!

Please by all means use me as a resource in this journal as well. Because I haven't learned everything. I thought I knew a lot after finishing those books, research articles, and the such. But then I started this journal almost a year ago and because of people like you it has continued to push me to learn and keep learning. People ask me questions or say something that seems new to me, and it forces me to evaluate the data in a new way. My opinion on all topics is fluid and I'm always willing to hear differing options because it allows me to grow as a runner. So no matter the question, fire away, because I see this journal as a place where I can put my thoughts down on my own training, but also a place where if you want to learn something about running, so do I.

Oh, and :welcome:!

Thanks. Hopefully I get a chance to say hi and introduce myself at WDW. Timing will be tough as we have team pictures at 4:30 each morning (half & full). If not good luck on your Dopey.

Thanks. Hopefully I get a chance to say hi and introduce myself at WDW. Timing will be tough as we have team pictures at 4:30 each morning (half & full). If not good luck on your Dopey.

As long as you're willing to come through gear check before 4am, then I think you could come say hi to us on the other side at the meeting place. I don't think there is any restriction to go back and forth through the gear check, just that you can't take your gear bag through the checkpoint. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My friend won one year because she picked the state her job post-graduation would be in to win it all. That was the year UConn won so her accuracy on the rest of the brackets didn't have to be perfect.

5K: 20:56
10K: 43:06
Half: 1:36:03
Full: 3:34:36
Goofy: 5:12:50
Dopey: 6:28:46

Tie breaker: 66

Editted right after I posted because; #math :faint::rotfl2:

My friend won one year because she picked the state her job post-graduation would be in to win it all. That was the year UConn won so her accuracy on the rest of the brackets didn't have to be perfect.

Nice! The year UConn won it I believe they were a 7 seed, so that would have been a risky pick, but because it happened it was worth gold points wise.

5K: 20:56
10K: 43:06
Half: 1:36:03
Full: 3:34:36
Goofy: 5:12:50
Dopey: 6:28:46

Tie breaker: 66

Editted right after I posted because; #math :faint::rotfl2:

LOL, #math strikes again! Thanks for guessing!

Boo to a sore throat! I could feel it coming on on Monday morning, but I was hopeful I could keep it at bay. Although it's here now, and now the key is keeping it minimal. Only 14 days until the 5k!

5k - 21:00
10k- 43:00
half - 1:37
full - 3:40
Goofy - 5:17
Dopey - 6:21

HOTH comparison is funny! We actually are 30-40 this week and Christmas is expecting rain and 55-60 degrees, we had 0s & ice/snow last week, crazy. Hopefully, the sore throat isn't much & goes away fast. I came down with the flu just a few days before 2015, it really makes you want to boycott people right before these races!

Needed a little extra motivation this morning, and I knew I could find it reading about your incredible training! Kudos of not only for pushing yourself to reach such awesome running stats, but running in those insane temps!!!. You so deserve a Florida vacation now haha Coming here and getting play a game is an added bonus! Here are my guesses:

5K 19:22
10K 39:44
1/2 1:33:11
full 3:30:33
Dopey: 6:22:55
Goofy: 5:11:15
Dopey place: 111

Oh also, my 5 yo daughter was sitting on my lap while reading and she is CERTAIN that the Santa that Gigi met is the REAL Santa! :)

Answer: Hoth. Definitely. Great training week, despite all the obstacles! Excited for Dopey! :)

Thankfully I didn't come across any of those crazy looking monsters!

And those obstacles were both figurative and literal this time with all he snow on the ground. Found myself doing a few Mario leaps to avoid snow drifts.

Ugh... but much better now than the day before the 5k!

So so true! If there is any time to get one it's right now. After peak training but long enough before race day it shouldn't be still lingering.

5k - 21:00
10k- 43:00
half - 1:37
full - 3:40
Goofy - 5:17
Dopey - 6:21

HOTH comparison is funny! We actually are 30-40 this week and Christmas is expecting rain and 55-60 degrees, we had 0s & ice/snow last week, crazy. Hopefully, the sore throat isn't much & goes away fast. I came down with the flu just a few days before 2015, it really makes you want to boycott people right before these races!

Hard to keep up with the changing weather, am I right? If there is one silver lining it is easier to heat acclimate training in 30 degrees then it is in -10 degrees.

I'm hopeful it's minimal. My normal cold pattern is sore throat then runny nose then sneezing and subsequent days. But since I've noticed the sore throat symptoms since Monday I'm hoping the rest will never come now.

2015 - flu
2016 - pecos bills
2017 - ?

Hoping for good luck for you this year!

Needed a little extra motivation this morning, and I knew I could find it reading about your incredible training! Kudos of not only for pushing yourself to reach such awesome running stats, but running in those insane temps!!!. You so deserve a Florida vacation now haha Coming here and getting play a game is an added bonus! Here are my guesses:

5K 19:22
10K 39:44
1/2 1:33:11
full 3:30:33
Dopey: 6:22:55
Goofy: 5:11:15
Dopey place: 111

Oh also, my 5 yo daughter was sitting on my lap while reading and she is CERTAIN that the Santa that Gigi met is the REAL Santa! :)

Thanks!

Happy to help with motivation in any way I can! All in an effort to reach those #goals! And this Florida vacation can't come at a better time. HOORAY for a brief week of warmth! Although we have to balance out wishes of warmth between afternoon swimming warmth and race morning cool weather.

I notice a touch of pattern with your seconds in your guesses!

He was a pretty good Santa! But it makes more sense now knowing he IS Santa!

:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter