• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
stupid question, aren't antigen hometests available at walgreens etc?? not PCR accurate but if you have symptoms very well.. they only really have a high false pos vs. neg.. Here in germany you can buy then at every grocer/drug store.. At first they were running 5 euros each. now you find for 1 euro.
I was told we could buy them but locally every store I checked online was out of stock. Regardless, just finding out if he’s positive or not doesn’t really do anything for him. There’s not really any treatment other than for symptoms unless it gets critical and we’re already doing that. His doctor recommended just getting him home as long as he’s stable and we’ll go from there.

Update on our end. My DD and I will go this month on the 25th. We are doing 2/3 days WDW and she wants to do HP at Universal so there for 2 days.. We are vaxxed and fully vaxxed as of only this summer so we hope our antibodies are strong. Will be wearing N95 when indoors. Not a big deal as here in Germany only N95s are allowed as masks for our state and yes we still have mask orders everywhere but outdoors. We will not eat indoors besides our room. Renting car. Its a risk we are willing to take.

We fly back a week later, then the entire family is booked one week near Paris for our DLP vacation we have literally booked, have cancelled 4 TIMES!!!! So we are going from covid is over FL to you need to prove you are vaxxed or get tested daily at our resort. and masks in the park.

I have never done a trip report, but I might have to this time.. Comparing WDW vs DLP from a Covid point of view.
Flights are cheap right now, so if you really need Disney but want Covid mandates, go to Paris.

For me, one of the concerns would be, "What happens if I/we need medical care while there?" While the risk is low, I'd like to know that if I got into a car accident, had a heart attack, a burst appendix, fell and hit my head, or any other mishap that I'd be able to receive hospital care in a timely manner. And with Fla. hospitals overflowing, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

We went this past week (7/24-7/31), both myself and my SO are vaccinated. I tested positive today and my SO is waiting on her test results. I didn't start to feel off until our last full day which was a planned resort/DS day. We had been in some pretty large unmasked crowds the two days prior (SDD rope drop, 7DMT rope drop, HEA, and a post-HEA crush trying to get to Peter Pan). However, I can say I saw really good enforcement of the indoor masking rule on the 30th. If you are going during this Florida surge, bring your own sanitizer as we did come across empty ones in ride queues.

For me, one of the concerns would be, "What happens if I/we need medical care while there?" While the risk is low, I'd like to know that if I got into a car accident, had a heart attack, a burst appendix, fell and hit my head, or any other mishap that I'd be able to receive hospital care in a timely manner. And with Fla. hospitals overflowing, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Also, if you catch something there and need medical care once you return home, how full are the ICU beds/hospitals at home? We went from what our city/county considers stage 3 to 4 and 5 any day now within a 1.5 weeks. Right before we left home, it started moving up. Now, we are down to 10s of ICU beds, maybe less now, in the entire city.

There's also Disney and Disneyland, but stay off of Disney Vacation. It is NOT what you think it is.....
Oh wow. I mean, I had to if only because you said not to. Well, I have to say that thank god, it wasn't as bad as I feared (bc the dregs of the internet can do some terrible things). But it's true - not very helpful. Thanks for passing on the others. I did find https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlanning/ - but really the larger ones are more helpful.

It's just such a hard call. We canceled our August trip last year and have the make-up trip planned in two weeks. We rented DVC points and if we do not use them by Sept 1, we are out the money (these are hold over points from last year). All of our vaccinated except my tow children (10 and 7). I was feeling quite distressed about the surge in cases in FL and other cities and was feeling like we should cancel again. But then my kids got COVID from summer camp - they are on the mend now - both had mild cases - and this should give them some immunity. Neither myself nor my husband got it - so the vaccinations worked with the exposure we got). So we now plan on going but being extremely careful - no RD, no indoor dining, masks indoors and in crowds, avoid crowds as much as we can, etc. I am also really hoping that the crowds will die down a bit in late August.

I should’ve said yet....My grandson has suddenly developed symptoms of nausea, sounds like he has a cold or sinus infection with a low grade fever. He did accidentally take in a lot of water swimming last night so it may be that, but he ticks a lot of boxes for covid as well. So plans have ground to a halt. No HS tonight to see the fireworks for sure. Unlike a lot of people, we don’t go to the parks sick.

We tried to get him tested locally, but it’s impossible to get in anywhere. The one place we found was a drive through with an over 4 hr wait in the car, no guarantee we’d get the test if we were in line waiting when they close. The line was many miles long. Seriously, how do locals put up with this? If we were home, we could drive less than 10 minutes from home and have 0 wait to be tested, same day, 15 minute results. No wonder numbers are sky high here. We are worried sick, but nothing we can do until morning when we can leave and get him home. So I may regret it after all.

And this was with being as careful as we knew how. No indoor dining, avoided crowded areas, skipped rides with long indoor queues. He wore a mask anytime he was out of the room.
Our testing was like you described in your area until delta hit here. Now it’s much more difficult to find a test again. But get him tested as soon as you can. That’s how DS started & it was Covid for all 3 of us 😔.

We cancelled our trip in September with great sadness, but Florida has lost control of this thing. Rebooked for March next year. My wife has many health issues and vaccinated or not it isn't worth the risk right now. Plus most of the things she likes to do are still closed (can't do many of the rides because of the health issues).

It is so frustrating because it didn't have to be this way.

I feel really bad for those that had to cancel last year and now having to maybe cancel again this year. It sucks Florida has taken this HUGE step backwards. Thinking back on my trip last month, I am extremely lucky I DIDN'T get covid because like I mentioned I went when masks were optional and only required on Disney transportation. I was smart wore a mask were needed like indoors. But I definitely felt a little sick on my departing day from Disney (on the ride to the airport on Magical express) and after I got home and rested I felt fine. I am thankful I was fully vaccinated before the trip as I think that's what spared me. Now with Florida Covid numbers skyrocketing again, I would not go to a crowded theme park.

But if you decide to go now, just be safe and know what your going into before going.

Sigh. I just cancelled our September anniversary reservations. I love Disney and did not go in 2020, so I was really excited about this previously postponed anniversary trip. AK lodge (CL) and WL. 7th thru the 14th. It just seemed the right move for us, but it was painful! We have a family trip (all over 12 yrs) planned in May 2022, so it takes a bit of the pain away. Good luck to everyone, it is a difficult personal decision for everyone.

We have a trip the last week of August/beginning of September. Like others, we are less than 30 days away and our plane tickets must be used by mid September (rescheduled from last year) or we lose them.

Still here- one piece of advice, the TS tables are spread much farther apart than CS, which are packed in tight. For us, wearing the mask all the time is better than taking it off outside and then masking up. We are acclimated better and feel relief when we go inside. We also have neck towels to keep us cool. We will test when we get back home, don't want to unknowingly give this to someone.

Still here- one piece of advice, the TS tables are spread much farther apart than CS, which are packed in tight. For us, wearing the mask all the time is better than taking it off outside and then masking up. We are acclimated better and feel relief when we go inside. We also have neck towels to keep us cool. We will test when we get back home, don't want to unknowingly give this to someone.

Sorry what is CS? I'm wondering about Le Cellier as I have heard they were packed in pretty tight before.

Do they still have the plexiglass up in the ride lines?

Well if it helps anyone else feel less guilty, we cancelled our August 15 trip yesterday. My DH has been to WDW nearly 40 times and I have been nearly 30 times we were taking a first timer with who is a school teacher (we are all vaccinated). If, god forbid, she were to get sick at WDW, she would need a sub until she was cleared and that his not in the cards for her. My mom called me freaking out last night that I was going, she was prepared to talk me out of it, and was relieved when I told her I was cancelling. I just can't justify going now when we can go anytime of year and have been so many times. I was bummed yesterday, but really I can't imagine battling these crowds and heat only to possibly come home with Covid.
It will be interesting if they will address this uptick on The DIS today.

Has anyone had any luck getting Boo Bash ticket refunds? We are cancelling and that's the one thing I believe cannot be refunded.

We have a trip the last week of August/beginning of September. Like others, we are less than 30 days away and our plane tickets must be used by mid September (rescheduled from last year) or we lose them.

That makes the decision all the harder. Good luck and if you go, stay safe!

Has anyone had any luck getting Boo Bash ticket refunds? We are cancelling and that's the one thing I believe cannot be refunded.

Someone on another thread reported that they were able to receive a refund. You have to call and it's a case by case basis, but it doesn't hurt to ask nicely and hope for pixie dust. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter