Tips for Honeymoon Upgrades?

Creaking Crypt Door

Happy Haunts Materialize...
Hello all,

I wanted to get some advice on something a little unique, so I figured I would see if you have any pointers on this.

I'm going to Disneyland Resort for my honeymoon the last week in June. I have been to Disneyland at least 6 times and DCA twice, but my fiancee has never been to either! I also haven't been to DCA since 2006, so I haven't seen a lot of the renovations that took place.

I feel familiar enough with the parks that I can have a good time and know what to do when.

My question pertains mostly to hotels and dining. We're staying at the Grand Californian while we're there, which I could not be more thrilled about-this is my first time staying at a Disney property!

At the moment, we have a standard room. However, I would LOVE to be upgraded to a room with a view. I was wondering, then, if Disney ever upgrades people for special occasions (such as a honeymoon!)? And if so, how should I let them know we're our honeymoon? We've already booked the room-is that a special note we can add online?

I'm also wondering the same thing with dining, especially because I'll also be visiting Blue Bayou for the first time (after I've been dying to go since I first went to Disneyland) and would love a water-side table.

Is there a classy, easy way to handle this? I'm looking forward to the trip and would love some advice.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about the hotel, but at BB if you let them know, they will add a note to the reservation about your Honeymoon. We usually just ask for the waterside table when we arrive. Be sure to tell them you do not want seated near the doors to the kitchen. Congratulations!

You can call the hotel and ask them to add a note into your reservation that it will be your honeymoon. You should be able to get special button when you check in, also.

I don't know about the hotel, but at BB if you let them know, they will add a note to the reservation about your Honeymoon. We usually just ask for the waterside table when we arrive. Be sure to tell them you do not want seated near the doors to the kitchen. Congratulations!

Thank you!

definitely call and have them add this to your reservation in the notes. we have stayed at the GCH twice and they have been VERY good about providing little extras and being responsive to our requests. you will have a most FABULOUS time! congratulations!

definitely call and have them add this to your reservation in the notes. we have stayed at the GCH twice and they have been VERY good about providing little extras and being responsive to our requests. you will have a most FABULOUS time! congratulations!

Good to know, thank you! I've heard amazing things about the Grand Californian. This is probably the first time for a long time we'll be able to stay there, so we want to be sure it's as great as possible.

I had success getting upgraded at the PPH when we stayed for a double birthday and Anniversary trip. I asked at the counter how much it would be to upgrade from a standard room to a view room and the lady said "I'll be right back. She went in back and a few minutes later came back and gave us signed pictures of Minnie and Goofy and some other nice trinkets that I forget what they were but didn't mention anything about the upgrade. So I politely asked again and she said don't worry we are upgrading your room at no cost.

I was hoping that's what would happen when I asked but I was prepared to say no if they told me a price. Wouldn't have been upset but it was a great surprise and we had an amazing trip!

I had success getting upgraded at the PPH when we stayed for a double birthday and Anniversary trip. I asked at the counter how much it would be to upgrade from a standard room to a view room and the lady said "I'll be right back. She went in back and a few minutes later came back and gave us signed pictures of Minnie and Goofy and some other nice trinkets that I forget what they were but didn't mention anything about the upgrade. So I politely asked again and she said don't worry we are upgrading your room at no cost.

I was hoping that's what would happen when I asked but I was prepared to say no if they told me a price. Wouldn't have been upset but it was a great surprise and we had an amazing trip!

Whoa, that's fantastic! Did you ask when you were checking in, and mention the occasion then? Or did they know ahead of time?

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

That week is pretty crowded. The shorter the stay, the better the chance for an upgrade. I would guess you could get upgraded to a courtyard view room.

Make sure you get the "Just Married" buttons. Put Honeymoon on all your dining reservations. Wear the buttons, magic might happen.

That week is pretty crowded. The shorter the stay, the better the chance for an upgrade. I would guess you could get upgraded to a courtyard view room.

Make sure you get the "Just Married" buttons. Put Honeymoon on all your dining reservations. Wear the buttons, magic might happen.

Yeah, we were talking about that today and do agree that given the busy season, chances are slimmer. But I think regardless, buttons will be fun and we may even get ourselves the bride and groom Mickey hats! :)

Whoa, that's fantastic! Did you ask when you were checking in, and mention the occasion then? Or did they know ahead of time?

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

I booked over the computer through the DL website and had mentioned then what we were celebrating and then they asked us as we checked in as well. We got the birthday and anniversary pins of course as well as the things I mentioned before.

It has been 3 years now so my memory is a little fuzzy. I may have called to confirm our reservation as we got close (stayed Memorial Day week with MD being our first day there) and mentioned it over the phone but they didn't upgrade us till I asked about the price like I might be interested in paying for it. I didn't want to make it look like I expected an upgrade and I wouldn't have put up a fuss if they hadn't upgraded us. So I went into it with a nothing to lose mindset.

Ah okay, thanks for that info! She feels the same way (as do I) that we certainly don't want to come across as "It's our honeymoon, will you upgrade us?" :p

...At the moment, we have a standard room. However, I would LOVE to be upgraded to a room with a view. I was wondering, then, if Disney ever upgrades people for special occasions (such as a honeymoon!)?
...we certainly don't want to come across as "It's our honeymoon, will you upgrade us?" :p
It might be worthwhile to pay for a Courtyard/Woods view, sometimes only about $20/night. This would eliminate all the rooms at the front of the hotel, where the majority of the Standard view rooms are located.

It is also helpful to make several requests, since the CM will try to accommodate at least some of your requests. Some things you might request:
  • King bed (this is often quite difficult)
  • Facing the park (woods rather than courtyard)
  • Near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose (convenient access to DCA entrance)
  • High floor

Not room related, but there was a couple that was obviously on their honeymoon when we were there last August. I don't know exactly how any of it went down, but they managed to get the entire boat for It's a Small World all to themselves. I assumed they must have asked for it as a special treat.

Not room related, but there was a couple that was obviously on their honeymoon when we were there last August. I don't know exactly how any of it went down, but they managed to get the entire boat for It's a Small World all to themselves. I assumed they must have asked for it as a special treat.

We went the day after our wedding and wore the Just Married buttons and wedding mickey ears. We were stopped by a cast member and offered a private ride on the Jungle Cruise and we weren't even at the ride or in Adventureland when we were approached. Unfortunately, we were unable to go at that moment and missed out but it was such a sweet thing for that cast member to have thought to offer to us to make our day magical. I think it's more magical when these moments just happen rather then when you go around asking for them.

We will also be st Disneyland for the first half of our honeymoon the day after we get married (the second half going on a Disney cruise to Alaska) the beginning of August. We will be staying at the GCH and will also be putting that it is our honeymoon in the notes to all our reservations. I am also following this thread :)

If everything on your reservation is noted down, you can always ask if any upgrades are available (never ask for a free upgrade, that's a surefire way to get shot down). You may, and again emphasis on the may get some form of pixie dust. When we went for our anniversary and wife's birthday last summer, the check in agent comped our parking without even asking for anything.

We went last year for our anniversary and it had been noted a few times. When we checked in they gave us the buttons and a signed picture of Mickey and Minnie. No upgrade. We were staying at PP. The next day we decided that we were going to check out and go over to DLH as the room we were in was bad. It had not been cleaned all the way and it was just way old looking. When we talked to the front desk about switching, they brought in a manager and they upgraded up the one of thier signature suites. Was never expecting something like that.

We went last year for our anniversary and it had been noted a few times. When we checked in they gave us the buttons and a signed picture of Mickey and Minnie. No upgrade. We were staying at PP. The next day we decided that we were going to check out and go over to DLH as the room we were in was bad. It had not been cleaned all the way and it was just way old looking. When we talked to the front desk about switching, they brought in a manager and they upgraded up the one of thier signature suites. Was never expecting something like that.

Yea that was very nice of them to upgrade you that much. They don't like to find things wrong with their rooms and usually do a lot to make up for it when there is a problem like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter