Tips for Honeymoon Upgrades?

Isn't it better if you don't ask or expect it? We wore our anniversary buttons and were at Plaza Inn and a waitress asked if we wanted a free piece of cake. Of course we said yes. What a nice surprise! We didn't go in expecting to get free cake and I enjoyed it more being free. Just saying.

My $.02 cents worth. I've stayed in all 3 property hotels and the GCH was my least favorite of the three. The only benefit I saw was on the days we were doing DCA the hotel entrance was Awesome.

We stayed at the DLH for our anniversary and we stayed at the POH concierge for our 10th anniversary. When we booked the OPH they did ask if we were celebrating anything special. The view was spectacular and very unexpected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 9
My stay at the PPH sucked. We were on a memorial trip and stayed concierge premium view for 8 days. Our room was similar to the prior poster, very worn and dingy looking. We also had major problems with the water going between ice cold and scalding hot. The response to our multiple complaints? "It's a hotel and lots of people showering." When I complained to the concierge, she had them switch out the shower head, but that didn't help. I wish I had thought of insisting on switching hotels.

When we went to Disneyland it wasn't for anything really special. We had a standard room and I nicely asked if we could have a standard room with a cot (many standard rooms have them) at Disneyland hotel. A few minutes later I was handed a certificate that said magic family of the day at Disneyland Hotel and we were given a free upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite.

My honeymoon was on the land/sea package at WDW when the cruise was new. Actually we were scheduled to sail in August 1998 and didn't know for sure if it would even start sailing in time. It was about a month old when we sailed. We had booked the lowest price and stayed at Dixie Landings. On the ship part we went to our room only to find out that we were not in that room. After a little detective work we found out we were upgraded from in inside stateroom cat 12 to an outside stateroom with a window cat 9 on the Disney Magic. It was not something we had ever asked about and was very happily surprised.

These are all great responses, but I think that upgrades are not the norm, and you may be setting yourself up for disappointment if you do all these things and are still not upgraded. It will be a nice perk, but if you really want the upgraded room, be prepared to pay for it, or be prepared to enjoy your stay even if you get just the standard room you are paying for.

Good luck. :)

I wanted to just add my own two cents...We are anniversary travelers! We always travel every year on or around our anniversary. We honeymooned in WDW and could not even get a king bed, and we traveled non-peak. We stayed at GC once for a 4 night stay in Oct 2010, no upgrade. We have been upgraded once at Disneyworld out of the 4 trips we have taken on anniversaries/honeymoon. (Now, the one we got was quite an amazing upgrade - to club room with a view of the fireworks from the Polynesian!) We travel non-peak season. We also have it noted everywhere that we are celebrating.

You have a much better chance of getting something special at a restaurant! As others have said wear the pins, and get the hats.

Our non-Disney trips we are about 30% on upgrades. Some are paid upgrades but for a smaller fee. (Like maybe the room would be $75 a night more, we will get it for $25 or $15.) We had a better chance of an upgrade when we checked in late at night, or are only staying for one night. (Some were quite extreme upgrades - like to a multi room suite with a view of the ocean - that was in Atlantic City in the summer, so weird things can happen!)

I'd suggest book the room you would be happy with and try really hard to put the idea of a free upgrade out of your head. Ask if there are any upgrades available for a fee and if it's a reasonable price, take it. If magic happens...it will be a wonderful, unexpected surprise!!

You are getting married! pixiedust:CONGRATS!!!pixiedust:

In my signature you will find a link to a photo from our honeymoon in Disneyworld from 2003. We wore the ears and pins, and while we had no hotel upgrade, we were picked to be grand marshals in a parade in Hollywood Studios. I NEVER expected that, and it is one of my most beloved memories of all time.

I hope you have an amazing, magical, relaxing, exciting and wonderful time!!! :dogdance:

Hello all,

I wanted to get some advice on something a little unique, so I figured I would see if you have any pointers on this.

I'm going to Disneyland Resort for my honeymoon the last week in June. I have been to Disneyland at least 6 times and DCA twice, but my fiancee has never been to either! I also haven't been to DCA since 2006, so I haven't seen a lot of the renovations that took place.

I feel familiar enough with the parks that I can have a good time and know what to do when.

My question pertains mostly to hotels and dining. We're staying at the Grand Californian while we're there, which I could not be more thrilled about-this is my first time staying at a Disney property!

At the moment, we have a standard room. However, I would LOVE to be upgraded to a room with a view. I was wondering, then, if Disney ever upgrades people for special occasions (such as a honeymoon!)? And if so, how should I let them know we're our honeymoon? We've already booked the room-is that a special note we can add online?

I'm also wondering the same thing with dining, especially because I'll also be visiting Blue Bayou for the first time (after I've been dying to go since I first went to Disneyland) and would love a water-side table.

Is there a classy, easy way to handle this? I'm looking forward to the trip and would love some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!! That's so exciting! We honeymooned at WDW in 2007 (see profile pic outside of Splash Mountain in my super cute Minnie bride ears). It was AWESOME!! We stayed at the Music resort, not fancy, but still fun. When we arrived to check in, we were very polite and told them it was our honeymoon. We asked if a better room closer to the pool came available, would they mind moving us? They said they would keep an eye out, and the next night, we got a call and a room opened up! We were moved! Politeness goes a long way.

We had another neat Honeymoon experience. Wear your "Just Married" pins and CMs everywhere will congratulate you. We were given an extra FP (this was pre FP+ days, sigh) by a CM who noticed our buttons and said, "Happy honeymooning, guys," at the Hollywood Tower while we were already in the stand-by queue, so we moved right up to the front and docked. That was neat. As they seated us, they said, "Congratulations you guys! Enjoy the ride!"

Another neat thing- We were dumb and made reservations at DTD for dinner one night but lost track of time at the MK and all the sudden, it was dinner time, and there was no way we were catching that tram to DTD to make our reservations. We went into a restaurant (can't remember which one right now) that was VERY close to viewing area for Wishes, and I knew they wouldn't seat us. But the CM noticed our "just married" pins, and again, we were very polite, and a table was found. We sat outside on a beautiful night within PERFECT view of Wishes and enjoyed our last meal in DW. It was awesome.

I'm not saying that you'll automatically get special treatment just because you're on your honeymoon, but you might, and every little touch adds to the magic.

Kat

I wanted to just add my own two cents...We are anniversary travelers! We always travel every year on or around our anniversary. We honeymooned in WDW and could not even get a king bed, and we traveled non-peak. We stayed at GC once for a 4 night stay in Oct 2010, no upgrade. We have been upgraded once at Disneyworld out of the 4 trips we have taken on anniversaries/honeymoon. (Now, the one we got was quite an amazing upgrade - to club room with a view of the fireworks from the Polynesian!) We travel non-peak season. We also have it noted everywhere that we are celebrating.

I'd suggest book the room you would be happy with and try really hard to put the idea of a free upgrade out of your head. Ask if there are any upgrades available for a fee and if it's a reasonable price, take it. If magic happens...it will be a wonderful, unexpected surprise!!

I hope you have an amazing, magical, relaxing, exciting and wonderful time!!! :dogdance:

Congratulations!! That's so exciting! We honeymooned at WDW in 2007 (see profile pic outside of Splash Mountain in my super cute Minnie bride ears). It was AWESOME!! We stayed at the Music resort, not fancy, but still fun. When we arrived to check in, we were very polite and told them it was our honeymoon. We asked if a better room closer to the pool came available, would they mind moving us? They said they would keep an eye out, and the next night, we got a call and a room opened up! We were moved! Politeness goes a long way.

We had another neat Honeymoon experience. Wear your "Just Married" pins and CMs everywhere will congratulate you. We were given an extra FP (this was pre FP+ days, sigh) by a CM who noticed our buttons and said, "Happy honeymooning, guys," at the Hollywood Tower while we were already in the stand-by queue, so we moved right up to the front and docked. That was neat. As they seated us, they said, "Congratulations you guys! Enjoy the ride!"

I'm not saying that you'll automatically get special treatment just because you're on your honeymoon, but you might, and every little touch adds to the magic.

Kat

Thank you both for the well wishes, and the stories!

At this point, I'm happy to wear some fun pins (and maybe some Mickey hats?) and see what happens-even some congratulations would be nice. We'll be in the parks, in DTD, or lounging at the pool or spa 99% of the time, so the room view isn't of terrible importance :)

When going to any of the TS restaurants let them know you are celebrating. As a PP mentioned you may receive a free dessert. This happened to me a few times. Once when I was on a family reunion trip my nephew was celebrating his 7th birthday and our server brought us all cupcakes (we were a table of 4). On a different occasion we were celebrating a friend's wedding (a party of 6). We had ordered a small cake only to have had it upgraded to the next size so that we could have seconds of it the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter