Tipping Housekeeping...

There's nothing wrong with leaving a tip for housekeeping as a "thank you." We do. I'm sure that the housekeepers aren't getting rich from their hourly wages at DVC resorts.

But Dean is correct when he points out that tipping housekeeping is different than tipping a cabin steward on a cruise ship or a waiter in restaurant. For those positions, the tips essentially are the pay (except for a sub-minimum wage base pay). There's no reason to use cruise ship guidelines when tipping housekeeping at a DVC resort. On most cruise lines (and in full-service restaurants) there really is an obligation to tip -- even though tipping is voluntary -- unless there's a serious problem that justifies withholding the tip.

Here's a story form 1995 or so. I'll spare you the details of why we needed a sudden visit from a housekeeper. The housekeeper was wonderful! She was so nice, worked so hard, and showed such concern for my 6-year-old daughter's sudden illness -- while not showing any displeasure about the nasty cleaning job she was doing. I tried to give a tip to her along with my sincere thanks. She refused. I insisted. She took it, but seemed uneasy about it. (I got the impression she wasn't supposed to accept tips.) The next day my daughters found two Disney plush toys and a handwritten "get well" note from a housekeeping supervisor. I think the housekeeper checked with her supervisor and they used the tip to buy the gifts for my girls! (DVC also sent a plush toy and card autographed by Mickey and friends.) Yes, I reported this exceptional housekeeping service in writing.

Werner, in your case I would have tipped too. That definately is above and beyond the call for a housekeeper. I am curious about the discomfort of the housekeeper about accepting a tip. It does sound like she was not supposed to. I just have a problem leaving money for a housekeeper, because I think it gives them lisence to "look around" for more. When you go to a resteraunt, you are given personal service from the wait person. That is not true in a vacation home unless you have called the housekeeper for a special reason.

I think we're talking 2 different things here. To me, leaving money because they "don't make enough" isn't tipping as we normally would think of it. It's simply redistributing the wealth. That's OK as long as it doesn't make others feel uncomfortable. I don't tip if they bring something that was already supposed to be in the room but do tip if I have a specific request above and beyond. To me a tip is simply an expression of appreciation for well done personal service. It should never be expected unless quoted ahead of time. Obviously with groups at restaurants and on cruises, there is the documented expectation upfront but even then it's for service performed well and not required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter