Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

How did you get the mickey head so defined?? I used about 10-12 rubberbands on each of my tshirts and still didnt get a nice defined head :sad2: Also what size was your head...I used my cricut to cut a 5 inch head.

I guess just practice, I only use 2 rubber bands. I don't know what size this is, I printed a couple sizes on card stock. I just use the size that would go with the size of the t shirt or whatever you making.

I didn't use the soak as I used the Tulip product and it's in the dye already but from everything I read on here, they were mostly soaking for 20-30 minutes in it.

I was wondering if you could answer a quick question for me. I am doing Mickey tiedye for the first time. I have the tulip dye's you used and was wondering if you wet the shirts before dying them or if you kept them dry.
I did tye die once before and we used the soda and then died them right away so the shirts were wet. I would think it would be easier to wrap and get them banded wet but want to use whichever method would work better.
Any advice onhow you did it and how it worked out would be great.

Will fiber reactive dyes work without soda ash? This is my second time making Mickey tie dye but this time I have no soda ash. I should have asked before I made 11 shirts but will they dye? I have Dharma dyes.

BTW first time I made them for our group of 12 and they were awesome!! Everyone wanted to know where they could buy them. Thanks so much for posting this!

Will fiber reactive dyes work without soda ash? This is my second time making Mickey tie dye but this time I have no soda ash. I should have asked before I made 11 shirts but will they dye? I have Dharma dyes. BTW first time I made them for our group of 12 and they were awesome!! Everyone wanted to know where they could buy them. Thanks so much for posting this!

They will dye, but it won't be as vivid, or as colour fast. You should be able to pick up soda ash at just about any craft store. I'd spend the extra time to get it first if you've gone to the effort to get the awesome Dharma dyes :)

My tie dye kit did not come with soda ash and I didn't realize it was something I needed for the project. The local craft store is about 30 minutes away and it's snowy and icy. I was hoping to do these tomorrow. Did anybody get good results without soda ash?

My tie dye kit did not come with soda ash and I didn't realize it was something I needed for the project. The local craft store is about 30 minutes away and it's snowy and icy. I was hoping to do these tomorrow. Did anybody get good results without soda ash?

I personally wouldn't. I had a kit that was from the craft store and did one batch without just to see and they were very light.

I would not dye without soda ash. It makes a big difference. I actually buy my soda ash from Walmart in the pool supply section. I believe it is PH Up.

I'm planning to do these next week!! Thanks for all the advice and instructions!!

I've got the tulip lit which doesn't require the soda ash... Wonder if they'd come out even better if I soaked them in ash anyway? Hmmmm. Anyone do that?

I'd love to get them done this weekend as we leave next Sat for Disneyland!!

My first attempt at tie-dying. I plan to make everyone four shirts. 2 blue/green and 2 red/yellow/orange. In each color I'll do one spiral and one yin-yang.

I traced around the Mickey heads with a bleach pen. The top left Mickey I let the bleach sit for a few minutes; you can see that the bleach spread out too far. The bottom of the yin-yang I used the bleach pen and wiped it right off. I put a piece of foil in the shirt before using the bleach pen.

My first attempt at tie-dying. I plan to make everyone four shirts. 2 blue/green and 2 red/yellow/orange. In each color I'll do one spiral and one yin-yang. http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/ca_randall/media/2014 Disney/IMG_00601_zps02bc25b0.jpg.html I traced around the Mickey heads with a bleach pen. The top left Mickey I let the bleach sit for a few minutes; you can see that the bleach spread out too far. The bottom of the yin-yang I used the bleach pen and wiped it right off. I put a piece of foil in the shirt before using the bleach pen. http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/ca_randall/media/2014 Disney/IMG_00581_zps41aa655b.jpg.html

Those turned out AWESOME!!!! I'd love to know how you did the ying yang. Care to share?

Those turned out AWESOME!!!! I'd love to know how you did the ying yang. Care to share?

I was looking on youtube for videos on tie-dying because I was scared of doing this the first time. I came across this video How to Tie Dye a Yin Yang Design by lilgamoma and thought it might look cute with little Mickey heads instead of the circle. It was just as easy as it looks in the video except I didn't use string like she did, I just used floss and rubber bands.

I'm planning to do these next week!! Thanks for all the advice and instructions!!

I've got the tulip lit which doesn't require the soda ash... Wonder if they'd come out even better if I soaked them in ash anyway? Hmmmm. Anyone do that?

I'd love to get them done this weekend as we leave next Sat for Disneyland!!

I have found the tulip colors are pretty worthless. If you can, I would try another brand.

Soda Ash is the most important step, unless you kit is a tulip kit which has the soda ash in the dye you MUST have it. The Sodium carbonated chemical reaction raising the PH of the fabric is what makes the dye cure and stick to the fabric.

If you don't have it, don't waste your dye.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter