Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

I make my Mickey Head shirts every year for our family trip to Disney. Getting ready to make this years shirts and my DH has the idea to use zip ties instead of rubber bands. I think since he is the rubber band guy and by the end of doing all 15+ shirts his hands are raw, he is trying to save his hands. Great idea if it will work???? Anyone try this??? Would hate to ruin a bunch of shirts if it doesn't.

Nicole, mom to pirate:princess:pirate:pirate:

I make my Mickey Head shirts every year for our family trip to Disney. Getting ready to make this years shirts and my DH has the idea to use zip ties instead of rubber bands. I think since he is the rubber band guy and by the end of doing all 15+ shirts his hands are raw, he is trying to save his hands. Great idea if it will work???? Anyone try this??? Would hate to ruin a bunch of shirts if it doesn't.

It SOUNDS like a great idea! Wouldn't the Mickey head be wonderfully defined?? At least in my head it would! Update us!

I think this is a major gamble. The difference between the two is that the rubber bands are pliable and will mold to the shirt material. This makes a better barrier against the dye. Zip ties are plastic and while they will pull tight, they will definitely not hold back the color.

15 shirts are time consuming but think of the return on the investment:goodvibes

I think this is a major gamble. The difference between the two is that the rubber bands are pliable and will mold to the shirt material. This makes a better barrier against the dye. Zip ties are plastic and while they will pull tight, they will definitely not hold back the color.

15 shirts are time consuming but think of the return on the investment:goodvibes

Get an old shirt or pair of cotton socks and try to dye them using the ties and see how the dye flows. It would be well worth the extra time at it takes. Please update us!

Wow, that sounds complicated. I use 2 rubber bands on each of my shirts, one small one and one a little bit bigger, as thigh as possible, but only 2. I put them in regular plastic bags, like the shopping bags from walmart, publix etc, overnight or at least 8 hours and that's it.
11557_510984962291908_937612972_n.jpg

Oh my goodness those bags are SO CUTE! Might have to make those for our next trip. Or maybe even before!

We did Reverse Tie Dye shirts for our trip. The directions are here

reverse-tie-dye-pizzafari.jpg

reverse-tie-dye-safari.jpg

We loved these! This is the one t-shirt everyone in my family consistently keeps wearing even now that we are home.

Looks great. Can you post the directions of how you sewed to another shirt? That was one of the great things about regular tie dye, everyone was able to do it to a shirt the liked. For instance, mine was a Talbots tshirt.

I have mine waiting to be unwrapped for our Halloween trip. I am going to try outline the Mickey with Glow in the Dark paint... will let everyone know how it goes...

I have mine waiting to be unwrapped for our Halloween trip. I am going to try outline the Mickey with Glow in the Dark paint... will let everyone know how it goes...

Oooooh! I think I might just have to borrow this idea! Our shirts are made, and I have the GITD spray paint. I'd just need to make a mask. And find time before we fly down Sat morning! ;)

Love this thread! Ok, me and DH tried it last night. Waiting until tonight to unwrap them and see what we got!

Haven't made ours yet, but need to get on it. What steps did you take to prep the shirts? I'm going to soak ours in Soda Ash, for I've heard that's the best thing to do. Anyone know what's the best length of time to soak them?

I didn't use the soak as I used the Tulip product and it's in the dye already but from everything I read on here, they were mostly soaking for 20-30 minutes in it.

Haven't made ours yet, but need to get on it. What steps did you take to prep the shirts? I'm going to soak ours in Soda Ash, for I've heard that's the best thing to do. Anyone know what's the best length of time to soak them?

Yes. About 20 min works fine.

Thanks! One more question, as I've heard people doing both. After soaking in soda ash, do you dry the shirt, or dye it wet?

Thanks! One more question, as I've heard people doing both. After soaking in soda ash, do you dry the shirt, or dye it wet?

My shirts are always wet when I dye them. Make sure you use a lot of dye when you are ready to dye them. I'm always surprised how much dye I need - basically when the shirts start dripping I stop and put them in a plastic bag.

I made a shirt for my son last year and I can't find the template I used. I thought I found it on this thread but I've gone through about 30 pages and can't find it. I saw the solid black head but I could have sworn there was another one posted with the ears farther apart. Also, I can't remember how I resized it! Can someone point me in the right direction? Page number, link to another thread? Thanks!

Wow, that sounds complicated. I use 2 rubber bands on each of my shirts, one small one and one a little bit bigger, as thigh as possible, but only 2. I put them in regular plastic bags, like the shopping bags from walmart, publix etc, overnight or at least 8 hours and that's it.
11557_510984962291908_937612972_n.jpg

How did you get the mickey head so defined?? I used about 10-12 rubberbands on each of my tshirts and still didnt get a nice defined head :sad2: Also what size was your head...I used my cricut to cut a 5 inch head.

How did you get the mickey head so defined?? I used about 10-12 rubberbands on each of my tshirts and still didnt get a nice defined head :sad2: Also what size was your head...I used my cricut to cut a 5 inch head.

I know the instructions say to start by soaking the shirt in the soda lime first, but I've found if I do the Mickey first, including the rubber bands, I get MUCH better definition. I also don't get the dye really deep against the bands. But I also use loads more bands than the poster with the photos. Almost an inch worth, all as tight as I can get them. Hers turned out fantastic! I wonder what else she does differently?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter