Thrifty Car Rental Issue - Location Phone Number?

TinkAgainU

Trust In The Pixie Dust
Rented a Thrifty Car at San Diego International Airport - got a weekly rate and on the forms they provided he showed me the weekly rate and daily rate if I extended (which I was pretty sure we would need). Was a hassle trying to extend with online and app issues but finally got it done BUT the rate (even for the completed week) nearly doubled, and when I called Customer Service (on hold 20+ minutes multiple tries) finally reached someone who said could not help me, contact the Airport location directly - but she had no phone number and phone number is not listed online (tried Google too). She said call back and hit #5 on their (877) number which disconnects me. So frustrated and feeling ripped off!!

Does anyone have a phone number for the San Diego Thrifty Car Rental counter? I'm over an hour away and can't see driving down days early to sort this out being viable. I tried to contact them by email also, but their online contact forms are pulldown menus that don't apply (I sent something anyway just to "try")...

I don't have high hopes for sorting it out at the counter by phone (or honestly, in person, based on the horrible reputation of Thrify/Dollar/Hertz :( but any help appreciated.

I checked FlyerTalk for you, and no dice; they had a discussion about it, but no one was able to supply the number. It looks like the only way to call it directly is to do so internally; all outside calls come in via the 877 tree.

Since it appears you haven't actually rented yet, I'd say that hassle though it is, start over and try to find a good rate elsewhere. IME, any material changes to a reservation (and particularly changing the dates) will void the original rate, and no amount of reasoning with them will restore it.

Since it appears you haven't actually rented yet
Thanks for your efforts. I don't think I was clear - I picked up the car with a one week rental - the forms clearly show the weekly and (additional? I was told) day rates. On the 7th day I extended two days... it then retroactively DOUBLED my first week rate, and doubled the rate of each additional day.

I can "almost" understand increasing rates on extensions (although that is not what the rates I was handed indicate) but retroactively changing the prior week makes me see red... and you can't reach anyone on the phone to sort it out. Crooks.

Moral of this story seems to be NEVER EXTEND a rental with Hertz/Dollar/Thrify (all are essentially the same company) since the Counter people said this is a common $$$ issue. On a positive note, it took a while, but a kind, onsite counter manager was able to fix it :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter