This is us..

I was referring to Randall's kids. They never cry, complain, talk back, whine.....pretty much everything normal kids do.

Sometimes you do have to break promises to kids. To me, Randall's boss is trying to oust him with this new guy, and if he doesn't start stepping up, he's going to be out of a job. It looks like he is going to need to miss a considerable amount of work taking care of his dad, so if he had to miss one of his kid's events, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think his wife should pull the family card in this situation.
Meh, I think possibly being ousted by the new guy is in his head. It's the perfectionist in him. My take is the new guy has nothing to do with Randall's performance, Randall is just taking it that way. I guess I'd feel differently if the boss said, "we need you here" but he didn't. Like everything else Randall is trying to control the situation. If he can control that then nothing else is spinning out of control.

eta:Beth reels Randall back in when he's standing on the edge, I think in part that's what she was doing.

...To me, Randall's boss is trying to oust him with this new guy, and if he doesn't start stepping up, he's going to be out of a job. It looks like he is going to need to miss a considerable amount of work taking care of his dad...

Meh, I think possibly being ousted by the new guy is in his head. It's the perfectionist in him. My take is the new guy has nothing to do with Randall's performance, Randall is just taking it that way. I guess I'd feel differently if the boss said, "we need you here" but he didn't. Like everything else Randall is trying to control the situation. If he can control that then nothing else is spinning out of control.

eta:Beth reels Randall back in when he's standing on the edge, I think in part that's what she was doing.

I agree with wenrob. The boss tried to reassure Randall that he was still important, but if it's true what he said about R being the first in and last out for ten years, then a good boss would be concerned that he would burn out and leave! As a business grows, you do have to add more staff to properly take care of all the clients, and I think that's all the boss is doing - growing the department.

I think a lighter load will actually help Randall be able to give his dad more attention - which he would really regret not giving after his dad passes.

I was referring to Randall's kids. They never cry, complain, talk back, whine.....pretty much everything normal kids do.

Sometimes you do have to break promises to kids. To me, Randall's boss is trying to oust him with this new guy, and if he doesn't start stepping up, he's going to be out of a job. It looks like he is going to need to miss a considerable amount of work taking care of his dad, so if he had to miss one of his kid's events, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think his wife should pull the family card in this situation.

Given the amount of screentime Randall's kids have had on the show how can we know much about what the kids do or are like overall? So far they've been rather ancillary to the story IMO.

Remains to be seen if it's more a case of Randall's compulsion to be perfect or if he does need to be wary of his place in a competitive workplace in a cutthroat industry that asks, but what have you done for me lately?

I think it's hilarious people actually would think that Randall's boss is just being a good guy, looking out for him as he's overwhelmed with stress in his home life. Anyone ever worked in a competitive environment in New York City? I have and my husband has. They don't care about your personal life. They don't even pretend to most of the time. If you start slacking off, you get sent a message. And that's what Randall got, a message: we noticed. And now you're on notice.

I think it's hilarious people actually would think that Randall's boss is just being a good guy, looking out for him as he's overwhelmed with stress in his home life. Anyone ever worked in a competitive environment in New York City? I have and my husband has. They don't care about your personal life. They don't even pretend to most of the time. If you start slacking off, you get sent a message. And that's what Randall got, a message: we noticed. And now you're on notice.

I agree. No loyalty from businesses. Does not matter how well he did in the past, he is slipping. Does not matter to the boss that his personal life is in complete upheaval.

All that matters is that he is not performing, and he can be replaced. Randall is being reminded of this.

I noticed Kate was not wearing the ring when she was on the treadmill. Is it possible she gave it back to Toby and they either broke up or they are "on a break" (Ross and Rachel reference :)

For the record I never said the boss was just being a nice guy. I said he brought the new guy in for a purpose and nothing Randall does is going to change that. He said as much at the end of the episode. Randall is fighting against a decision that's already been made.

I noticed Kate was not wearing the ring when she was on the treadmill. Is it possible she gave it back to Toby and they either broke up or they are "on a break" (Ross and Rachel reference :)
I don't wear my rings when I work out, they get beat up too easily.

For the record I never said the boss was just being a nice guy. I said he brought the new guy in for a purpose and nothing Randall does is going to change that. He said as much at the end of the episode. Randall is fighting against a decision that's already been made.

If the new guy had been brought in to assist Randall and/or lighten his load, wouldn't the boss have mentioned it to Randall before going ahead and hiring the newbie?

I think Randall is on the way out at his job. I think he is training the new guy without knowing that's what he's doing.

If the new guy had been brought in to assist Randall and/or lighten his load, wouldn't the boss have mentioned it to Randall before going ahead and hiring the newbie?
It wasn't me who suggested that's why he was brought in.

I will be so disgusted if Kate goes with that Duke. She literally JUST met him and he's been the biggest jerk. Have some self respect, Kate. Gross. Plus, things with Toby aren't bad enough that she has any excuse to go cheat on him (not that there is ever a good enough excuse, but sometimes they write it so well that it's almost understandable).

I never said the boss was doing it because he knew what was going on in Randall's personal life, just that there logically comes a point in any growing company where you have to add more staff in order to keep adding clients. I'll absolutely buy that the boss is thinking of the bottom line rather than Randall!

But I still believe that sometimes in life, things that seem bad (like cutbacks at work) come at a time when they have a good effect as well (like more time with William) - see the screen name, after all!

Who would put the ring on after that altercation? I especially don't see anybody putting the ring in the aftermath of that when they are alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter