Things not going well with the DDP changes

Unless my math is wrong the DDP is still a deal. I regret to say my family had to leave suddenly due to my DS4 and DW being ill with the "crud" it sounded like everyone there had, but the one meal we did eat was the amount of the whole days DDP payment of apprx. $98 for my family (2adults 2kids) We ate at Coral reef, I had the Mahi-Mahi and my two kids had the Mahi-Mahi, my wife had the shrimp fettucine, and our bill was around $95 including desserts and drinks. What that means is our snacks for the day were basically free and our great counter service at Sunshine Seansons was basically free. I must also admit that Sunshine Seasons has got to be the best Counter Service Restaurant in all of WDW, dining plan or not. I had the Salmon with rice and carrots. There were also these rottisseried Prime pork ribeyes that looked fabolous. Also they have a dessert section that comes with the adult meal included. These are all custom made desserts. Our total bill for this meal was $45. In all my $98 investment per day, I received approximately $150 in value. STILL A DEAL. Tip at Coral Reef was $20. You have to plan were you are going to eat. We sat next to people on the DDP at Sunshine Seasons, and they asked us if we were on the plan also, and if the desserts we had on our trey was included, in which we stated Yes. They did not see the dessert counter. I went and looked for it as I knew it was included. The desserts were around $3.50-$4.00 each. The meals were around $9.50.

The DDP is still a good deal for some families, but nt so much for other families. It's very individual now based on how and what you eat when you go out to eat.

I dont think the servers are losing money either way. I have purchased the DDP my last five trips and have enjoyed it . With the Character Meals and buffets all they do is bring your drinks and refill them, if you are lucky, they are making upwards of $ 20-$25.00 per table ,thats a lot of money in a night time. I hate that they removed the appetizer. I would have rather lost the dessert. I was told when I booked my trip for Sept 2008 that there were changes to the plan. Good luck Disney I think that if you were losing money before ,you will really lose it now. I Still love Disney!!!!

Okay, I'll bite. It makes me angry when I see posts like this. You're incorrect and have obviously never waited tables. They do far more than 'just bring drinks,' and if you paid attention, you'd know that. They really do the same amount of work as any other restuarant. They greet you, take your order, bring your drinks, refill them, clear plates, total your check, bring your check, make change, and someone buses your table after you leave. The ONLY thing they don't do, is bring your plate of food to the table. BUT they almost make up for that because most people make multiple trips up to the buffet and those dirty plates don't just magically disappear - someone had to clear them! So they have to be alert to clear them precisely when you are away from the table! AT most sit down restaurants servers only bring one entree - so in many cases a buffet is actually MORE work than a sit down place. Couple that with ignorant guests who don't tip well, and you can see why most servers do not prefer to work at buffets.

I have a personal question, and understand if you don't want to answer. Just wondering how much accomodations are for your family off-site vs on-site. I suspect that it's cheaper to stay off-site, and if that's the case then you'd save even more not doing the DDP.

For a 3 bedroom condo which is definitely enough for my family of four I'm looking at approx. $500-$600/wk., closer to $700 if I want one with a private splash pool. This is in Windsor Hills which is very close to WDW and has a community pool and playground as well. A value resort would be approx. $575/wk. but with a condo we each have our own room, there is usually a big screen tv, vcr, full kitchen, balcony or patio, etc. We could easily eat breakfast in the condo, late lunch at the park, and then offsite at Red Lobster, etc. for dinner or dinner back at the condo. If we eat out we can bring food back to the condo and reheat another night for dinner or eat cold pizza for breakfast, etc. With a condo we have to pay parking too though so that has to be considered.

In all my $98 investment per day, I received approximately $150 in value. STILL A DEAL.

I completely agree that DDP is a good deal, just like I said I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense for me if it means I have to book a room and buy tickets through WDW. For example, as above, I could get a very nice condo for $500/wk. (so save $75 off value resort price), save money by eating breakfast at the condo everyday and supper offsite or at the condo sometimes (I do want to eat some meals at WDW). If I get my 10-day NE PH WPF&M tickets from UT instead of WDW I save approx. $130.

We would want to eat some fancier meals at the park, but not everyday will be sit-down fancy meals so even if one day we spend $125 on food there will be other days when we spend much less, especially since we can eat breakfast at our condo, pack a few snacks, and eat supper offsite if we want.

One question I have is: Do you normally drive to WDW? If not, or If you wouldn't rent a car if you stayed onsite, you also need to factor in the price of a car rental.

I haven't decided yet if we will fly or drive. If we fly we will be renting a car, but we would be doing that regardless because I don't want to be on WDW property only for 14 days. We want to check out some local stores and also possibly go to US/IOA for a couple of days. So the rental cost would be there regardless of whether we stayed onsite or off.

The DDP definitely is appealing and I do think it's a good value, just saying that if I have to buy tickets through WDW I might not do the DDP. My original point was that if DDP was like it was last year I wouldn't be thinking twice about booking a value or moderate for at least a week, if not two and getting my tickets through WDW because it would be a no-brainer that it would be the better option. But with gratuities and appetizers not included this year and with snack rules being more stringent the value lost is quite substantial. When I crunch the #'s it still might be better to book a pkg. with WDW with the DDP, but right now there is a good chance they've lost at least one 7-14 day stay from me onsite. And they would have got a lot more money out of me if I was stuck onsite for 7-14 days, but now if I don't stay onsite and go with the DDP I'm quite likely to only eat a few meals at WDW and spend a lot more time outside of WDW.

Okay, I'll bite. It makes me angry when I see posts like this. You're incorrect and have obviously never waited tables. They do far more than 'just bring drinks,' and if you paid attention, you'd know that. They really do the same amount of work as any other restuarant. They greet you, take your order, bring your drinks, refill them, clear plates, total your check, bring your check, make change, and someone buses your table after you leave. The ONLY thing they don't do, is bring your plate of food to the table. BUT they almost make up for that because most people make multiple trips up to the buffet and those dirty plates don't just magically disappear - someone had to clear them! So they have to be alert to clear them precisely when you are away from the table! AT most sit down restaurants servers only bring one entree - so in many cases a buffet is actually MORE work than a sit down place. Couple that with ignorant guests who don't tip well, and you can see why most servers do not prefer to work at buffets.

Okay, I'll bite back. I don't believe any server at a regular restaurant would agree with your statement. I seldom do buffets at Disney because I feel like I have to beg for a refill and run out of room because of the stack of dirty dishes.....and we don't go back for seconds. Maybe, we've just been unlucky, but this is how most service has gone for us at buffets.

Okay, I'll bite back. I don't believe any server at a regular restaurant would agree with your statement. I seldom do buffets at Disney because I feel like I have to beg for a refill and run out of room because of the stack of dirty dishes.....and we don't go back for seconds. Maybe, we've just been unlucky, but this is how most service has gone for us at buffets.

:worship:

I asked my sister-in-law about this today. She put herself through college as a server. I asked her if she reported all of her tips as a server. Her answer was no. Now, there, I do have a problem and think it is absolutely my business if a person is not paying the income taxes and FICA she should be. There needs to be a better handle on this. I don't know if this has changed since she waited tables (5 years ago), but my guess is it hasn't. She called tips over minimum wage gifts. My mother in law did the same thing.

Well I am one who claims everything I make, and most of my fellow servers claim all their tips as well. Why because lots of things goes off of your paycheck. You apply for a loan they want pay stubs, you apply for anything and they want to know how much you make. If you are not claiming everything then it looks on paper like you don't make very much. The restaurant has to claim 8% of your sales per day as your tips if you claim less so no one is getting away with claiming less then 8% of sales. Now this is why you hear servers saying when they get stiffed that they still have to claim taxes on that because you do. In the end the server is only hurting themselves if they don't claim it all, but I would not put to much worrying into it. I know in Indiana we make 2.13 plus tips and let me tell you we don't get rich yesterday was a slow day (bad weather) I made a whole 52.00 on my shift. Now it evens out at the end of the week with busier days but it does not mean I did not work just as hard on the slow days. Ohhh about forgot I don't work at a buffet (not that it matters), I work at Ihop, I stock, take drink and order, bring your food, check back on you, bring refills, clean plates, take your money, bring you change and at the end bus your table 85% of the time. No slacking on this job but most of the time I enjoy it and love meeting new people.

Well I am one who claims everything I make, and most of my fellow servers claim all their tips as well. Why because lots of things goes off of your paycheck. You apply for a loan they want pay stubs, you apply for anything and they want to know how much you make. If you are not claiming everything then it looks on paper like you don't make very much. The restaurant has to claim 8% of your sales per day as your tips if you claim less so no one is getting away with claiming less then 8% of sales. Now this is why you hear servers saying when they get stiffed that they still have to claim taxes on that because you do. In the end the server is only hurting themselves if they don't claim it all, but I would not put to much worrying into it. I know in Indiana we make 2.13 plus tips and let me tell you we don't get rich yesterday was a slow day (bad weather) I made a whole 52.00 on my shift. Now it evens out at the end of the week with busier days but it does not mean I did not work just as hard on the slow days. Ohhh about forgot I don't work at a buffet (not that it matters), I work at Ihop, I stock, take drink and order, bring your food, check back on you, bring refills, clean plates, take your money, bring you change and at the end bus your table 85% of the time. No slacking on this job but most of the time I enjoy it and love meeting new people.

Hate to disagree with you, but most servers dont report anywhere near what they make to the IRS. But hey, who likes the IRS? I am sure you do a great job!!!

Hate to disagree with you, but most servers dont report anywhere near what they make to the IRS. But hey, who likes the IRS? I am sure you do a great job!!!

I don't know whats going on, I agree with your last two posts. In my experience most servers report the bare minimum they are allowed. The PP is just one of the smart ones that realized demonstrating a respectable income/credit score is worth the sacrifice.

I will point out that you really can only underreport your cash tips. Anything done on a credit card (and in Disney's case room charge) will be trackable and most be reported. I imagine an overwhelming majority of the activity in Disney restaurants is done either with credit cards or room charges. Most newer restaurant software makes sure the server reports at least an 8% minimum on checks settled in cash in addition to the actual tip on any credit transaction. Even though the 8% rule is widely used, if the restaurant were ever to be audited and tip income they reported for their employees was exactly even to tips on credit they could still get in trouble. The 8% rule does not allow you to deliberately commit tax fraud.

Well I am one who claims everything I make, and most of my fellow servers claim all their tips as well. Why because lots of things goes off of your paycheck.
One VERY important thing being Social Security payments when (okay, fine, if it can ever be afforded) you retire.

I don't know whats going on, I agree with your last two posts. In my experience most servers report the bare minimum they are allowed. The PP is just one of the smart ones that realized demonstrating a respectable income/credit score is worth the sacrifice.

I will point out that you really can only underreport your cash tips. Anything done on a credit card (and in Disney's case room charge) will be trackable and most be reported. I imagine an overwhelming majority of the activity in Disney restaurants is done either with credit cards or room charges. Most newer restaurant software makes sure the server reports at least an 8% minimum on checks settled in cash in addition to the actual tip on any credit transaction. Even though the 8% rule is widely used, if the restaurant were ever to be audited and tip income they reported for their employees was exactly even to tips on credit they could still get in trouble. The 8% rule does not allow you to deliberately commit tax fraud.

Its not you, must be my split personality acting up again. Its even caused kaytieeldr to agree with a post or two of mine :lmao:
Unfortunately SybilAngelmav just doesnt have the right symmetry.

I do think that Cash tips are alot more prevelant at the more moderately priced restaurants outside the world. I cant imagine too many Disney servers get cash on too regular a basis. The higher the cost, the less likely the purchase will be cash based.

I think it's sad that the servers are missing out. But I think its stupid Disney was complaining about not making money. If they weren't making money they should have stopped giving it out to people for free, people will pay to go and eat at Disney either way!!!! I agree the plan is not as easy now, me and my fiance used it as a budget tool, but that's not as easy now, but we are booked regardless for deluxe dining in May.

Servers at regular restaurants rarely bring the food. If you're at a restaurant that does not have runners you're either at A) A bad restaurant B) An understaffed restaurant. I'm a server at a regular restaurant.

Servers at regular restaurants rarely bring the food. If you're at a restaurant that does not have runners you're either at A) A bad restaurant B) An understaffed restaurant. I'm a server at a regular restaurant.

Care to elaborate on what 'regular' restaurant you work at? In the past couple of weeks we have eaten at Bennigans, Chile's, Village Inn, Olive Garden, On the Border, Applebee's, Red Robin and IHOP. At each of these 'regular' restaurants all of the food/drinks/service was provided by 'one' server. At all locations we were early for lunch and ahead of the rush. This is pretty much the norm at any meal I can think of with rare exceptions (large family eat outs).

So I guess you only take the orders and bring the check? Do you not tip out the food runners or the bus person? I have dined at 5 star restaurants where there is a team that actually takes care of the patrons. I have full service though and feel the gratuity is earned. I don't have to go without refills or having my dishes cleared after each course.

I think it's sad that the servers are missing out. But I think its stupid Disney was complaining about not making money.
See, I'm still not aware of the source of this 'Disney not making money' stuff. Disney was making money, Disney is making money, Disney has just had its third consecutive year of record-breaking earnings...

See, I'm still not aware of the source of this 'Disney not making money' stuff. Disney was making money, Disney is making money, Disney has just had its third consecutive year of record-breaking earnings...

Case in point, an article on yahoo earlier today proclaimed, Stock Market decline halted on Disney's better than expected earnings report!

I am confused because I work at IHOP and we have no runners we do everything for our tables and this includes busing the table when you are gone 85% of the time. The only time you will see someone else bring your food is if I am slammed and I am in the middle of getting drinks etc. Then another server who is not busy will run the hot food so its not sitting in the window getting cold. We are to have condiments at your table before your order if brought so there should not be a problem. Also I make sure to stop right over at the table to make sure everything looked good and the other serer did not forget anything. Then we are to check back 2 -3 minutes later to make sure everything tasted good and for refills. We don't make the money like steakhouses so we don't tip anyone out, we servers just help each other when needed.

Care to elaborate on what 'regular' restaurant you work at? In the past couple of weeks we have eaten at Bennigans, Chile's, Village Inn, Olive Garden, On the Border, Applebee's, Red Robin and IHOP. At each of these 'regular' restaurants all of the food/drinks/service was provided by 'one' server. At all locations we were early for lunch and ahead of the rush. This is pretty much the norm at any meal I can think of with rare exceptions (large family eat outs).

I used to work at Red Robin so I think I can help. During busy times, never at lunch, but always at weekend dinners and holidays, we had food runners. They would run the food to the table so that the wait staff could take care of the tables in other ways. They made sure the food got out as soon as it was ready instead of waiting for the server to have time to bring it to your table.

I am not a fan of the changes to the DDP, for DH and I are both appetizer eaters and not dessert eaters. Even when on the plan last year, we rarely had out desserts, and if we did we always shared. The problem for us isn't even paying the gratuity, it is the fact that we now have to pay for a portion of our dinner when we have already purchased a dining plan to cover our meals. The cost isn't even the factor....what is, is that if we buy the DDP we should be able to have what we want. Even a choice between app's and dessert would be great!

I have sat down and looked at the DDP and if we purchase an appetizer and pay the gratuity, we are not saving any money, it works out pretty much exactly the same as not buying the DDP. Although, if we eat at a signature restaurant (2 credits), we actually loose money by purchasing the DDP! (because we would pay out of pocket for app's and we generally don't eat dessert)

Everyone has to figure that out for themselves. I could care less if they raised the price by a little and put it all back in, then I know my vacation is covered!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter