There's Always Too Much Sauce - A July 2022 TR *Updated 3/23

sounds like a fun DS afternoon with your momma.

I don't think I've ever spent as much time at DS before. I'm not a shopper, but it was fun to browse various stores with my mom. We had a lot of fun going through the Christmas store.

My window is open and ressies are made. I have an Oga's on Tuesday (my best traveling partner ALWAYS wants Ogas and who am I to argue??), Liberty Tree for the day after the wedding, and Steakhouse 71 for my birthday dinner. I saw that 1900 Park Faire is finally opening and I was going to stalk a breakfast reservation for that but I'm not thrilled with the change in characters. That restaurant was my favorite for Alice, Mad Hatter and Mary Poppins. Oh well. Change is good for some. And, that is going to save me some money!! (That I guarantee I will spend somewhere else on property) LOL.

Steakhouse 71!!! It goes without saying I'm excited for you to have your birthday dinner there. :laughing:
Glad you were able to get your dining reservations booked! It's always a hectic day when they drop.

100%! I have not done a race since 2018, I had spine surgery in 2019, then back to back pregnancies in 2020 and 2021 (on pelvic rest for both) and I miss it sooooo much! Runners high is REAL! What I love most is I am only competing really against ME. I am slowly trying to get back into it, but starting at 0 is such a mental block to overcome.

Oh wow, how are you doing since spine surgery? The recovery from that had to be really tough.
Starting is the hardest. I hope you can find something to help you take those first steps, whether it be a local 5K to use as a goal or some personal time that allows you to take a break from being a mom for a little while or a chance to listen to what you want. :laughing: I know when I did my first 5K in 2011, I used the C25K and it really helped me just...go. I think I was only doing a half mile at first, but it allowed me to start thinking about running and that really helped.
Then, when I got into fitness in 2016, it was because Evie was 1 and I was like, "I gotta be more than a mom, even if it's just for 30 minutes a day. I need something for myself that doesn't involve diapers or naptimes or sounds like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse." And it did wonders for my mental health. All that to say, if running is something you want to do again, I hope you can find your motivation and reason to enjoy it. And if you ever need encouragement, I'm more than happy to provide some!:goodvibes

Because I am not a runner, I'm always so in awe of the Run Disney events. So proud of you! What an accomplishment. Not being able to sleep is just the worst. I hope your next run went ok.

Thank you! :goodvibes

April 16th Part 1:

This was it.
Ten Miler day.

It was slow going this morning. According to my watch, it didn’t track any sleep, and I believed it. I was very tired.

The Gideon’s Cold Brew from the day before was intended to be my post-race celebration drink, but I made the wise decision to drink half beforehand.

Smartest move I made. ::yes::

I don’t drink caffeine at home, so having that jolt before I left the room was exactly what I needed to get me to the starting line. That and playing my favorite running playlist as quietly as possible in the bathroom to get me excited.

As I waited for the elevators to take me to the lobby, I sent a selfie to Alex telling him hi and bye.

Except I accidentally sent it to my mom.

:rolleyes:

Who heard her phone go off and woke up to make sure it wasn’t serious. Because normal people don’t text others at 3 in the morning.

Good grief.

Managed to let my mom slumber through my favorite high tempo music only to disturb her with a wrong text. Not my finest moment.

Even though I arrived at the first bus at the same time as the other races, this one was a lot fuller and the other runners were more antsy. When the driver was talking to their dispatcher about going to the Contemporary first, some people started complaining and begging them not to.

It was a weird ride. A lot of the runners were only participating in the 10-Miler (versus the Challenge) and they were the most anxious. I guess the unknown might have been getting to them. Who knows?

When we got to Epcot, the security lines weren’t open yet, so I had to wait in line for that. While standing in line, it began drizzling. I’m grateful it never turned into a downpour, but later (around starting time) it made the weather so much more humid than it was the previous day.

It was like a swamp.

By far, the hottest and muggiest day of the trip.

Sounds about right.

(In fact, the next day the temperature dropped almost ten degrees. I have no doubt, because the runDisney race officials moved the race weekend back a week, the opposite will happen in 2024 and the cool weather will disappear the day of the expo.)

Rain or not, the Epcot globe looked magnificent with her lights on:

0112.JPG

Getting to the starting area so early allowed me enough time to grab photos with Mater:

0114.JPG

And George Sanderson:

0115.JPG

Every runDisney event, the runners from the DIS group have a designated meetup spot, and while I didn’t go to the other two I decided to head over and chat for a bit. I was able to meet Naomari and flav, whose daughter won the 10K the day before! What an incredible feat. It was fun being able to put faces to usernames and discuss the weather and our weekend experiences.

Being able to talk to people made the wait beforehand much better, and before I knew it, it was time to head to the starting corrals.

I was still feeling anxious about the sun on the highways, but by that point I knew it was out of my control. I was going to run the race I was capable of running on that morning. Whether it went my way or not, I was getting the opportunity to do it, and I wasn’t about to let stress take away that appreciation.

Race weekends are so hard to get into that if felt like a gift to be able to participate.
(Yeah, I paid a hefty entrance fee, but never once did I think it wasn’t worth it.) With life, you never know if you’ll get to do something a second time, so I was trying to soak up every last moment.

Listening to one person share her story on the megatv, I learned she was from the same base in England as me! And even better? I ran into her at the gym the following month. What are the odds of that? Especially since we were at a tiny outfit of a base, not the big one most people are familiar with.

Disney brings people together.:goodvibes

All right, time to get this party rolling!

0117.JPG

A lot of people talk about how they get emotional at the end of a race, but for me, it’s always the beginning. I have the time to reflect on my journey, to think back on tough training runs, to marvel at where I’ve landed. So seeing the fireworks release my wave was a little bittersweet.

Once I crossed the starting line, I was closing the chapter on that particular training plan. When you envision that moment for 4 months, it’s surreal to be present in it. But I was ready, I had coffee in my system, and I was going!

The beginning of the course took runners into the World Showcase near the Imagination Pavilion and then on past Mexico and China. As I approached Germany, I realized I needed to be wiser than the 10K day, and I stopped for a restroom break there. A much better decision. No lines necessary.

Then I continued on, passing Italy, America, and Japan. The route took us backstage around France, where I noticed the bathroom lines were extremely long. Whew! Dodged a bullet there.

Then it was on to the Boardwalk. Up until then I kept my phone in my FlipBelt and was focusing on getting as far on the course as possible before sunrise. But once I saw the resorts lit up, I knew I needed to give myself a moment to soak it all up. I stepped off the course for a second and stared:

0119.JPG

I was doing this! I was here!

And to add to the excitement, I was entering Hollywood Studios!

0122.JPG

“All right, this is cool.”

The course was veering left, taking us to Galaxy’s Edge:

0124.JPG

Where else do I get to run past Storm Troopers?!

0126.JPG

Running through GE was my favorite part of the 10-Miler, especially because I wasn’t around when the sewage pipe broke and added to the smells.:eek::rotfl:

And it wouldn’t be right to run the Toy Story 10-Miler without going through Toy Story Land.

0128.JPG

0130.JPG

Continued in Next Post:

Continued From Previous Post:

I came upon the back of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railray as the sun began to rise, and it was quite the sight. Pink in the sky and the wind at my face. I’d officially run through 3 of the 4 Walt Disney World parks. For fans of runDisney, this was a big moment.

My path took me down Sunset Blvd and towards Tower of Terror:

0131.JPG

It’s funny, because looking at this photo, the course looks really congested, but I don’t remember that. It pays to be really, really good at weaving in and around people. This was a skill I realized I had at the DLP Half. If you’re not great at that, I could see the course being frustrating.

All right, on to the backstage area and then…

Here we go.

Highways.

I got this.

It was 4 miles of road from that point on.

Putting my phone away, I told myself it was time to get down to business. The fun was taking a hiatus, now the toll needed to be paid.

There was a lot on that stretch that tore people down. I watched. The humidity was insane, the congestion during certain sections, seeing people ahead and behind you, and the overpasses.

Oh overpasses.

You stink.

I get phantom muscle aches just thinking about those bad boys.

While I used inclines and hills on my training runs, nothing prepares you for that angle elevation change. Having to run not only up, but a little sideways, was awful. I hated them so much.

Around Mile 6 or 7, there was a station handing out Sports Beans. I broke the cardinal race rule and ate some rather than munch on my Honey Stinger Chews in my belt. Looking back, I can’t believe I was risking eating a new food on a race course. (Don’t do that, friends! You
NEVER know how your body will react.) But I guess I assumed since JellyBeans were always fine, I would be all right.

Thank goodness I was, and my nutrition and hydration was going well.

It was around Mile 7.5 that I saw others start to feel the mileage. There were several medical tents set up and medics on bicycles following the course. It was reassuring to know that if something were to happen to me or a fellow runner, help would be nearby.

Coming to Mile 8, seeing the Epcot globe ahead of me was
THE MOMENT. On long races, like a 10-Miler or a Half, there’s always one point near the end that gets you. You just say, “This sucks right now.”

I think the reason I hit it right there was because I could see the finishers leaving the race area on the other side of the course. People were heading back to their cars, their medals dangling from their necks. People were already done, and here I was, two miles still to go. I didn’t want to see the finish, I wanted to lock in on the two miles left and GO.

Plus, I remember others around me were feeling tired. The mood was subdued.

I could have let it get to me, could have slowed or allowed myself to feel the strain in my calves from those passes, but instead I took stock of myself and realized.

I felt good.

My body was feeling strong, I was precisely where I wanted to be at this point on the run. My tank wasn’t empty. Quite contrary, I knew I had plenty of fuel left.

Thank you, thank you, thank you training plan! You did your job and you did it well. :worship:

As I began running through Epcot, a sad thought hit me.

It was almost over.

Race weekend was about to be finished.

Noooo!

I wasn’t ready!

I didn’t want to be done with running through the parks. On one hand, the early mornings, the long waits in the corrals, the standing in the rain, were some of the worst things ever. But the payoff was getting to see DHS at sunrise, listening to others around me singing the Disney tunes playing, seeing fellow Disney loving adults smile ridiculously big at character meets, getting that delicious banana at the finish line.

I didn’t want the course to end.

I enjoy Disney.

But I love runDisney.

When we ask each other about our Disney happy place, this is mine.

Hands down.

0134.jpeg

Like it or not, Mile 10 arrived. I did it.

Springtime Surprise Challenge….completed!

0138.jpeg

0140.jpeg

The medal for the 10 Miler was so fun.

0146.JPG

I loved the color scheme and the fact that the aliens moved. Honestly, the medals for this event were some of my favorite that I’ve seen come out of runDisney (with the exception of the DLP one’s). Unfortunately, I’m not crazy about 2024’s, but in all fairness, nothing was going to top aliens and monster’s doors.

After collecting my loot, taking photos (my turn to ask others for a picture) and hopping back on a bus, I returned to the Wilderness Lodge one happy but tired gal.

But look what was waiting!

0148.PNG

My babies antsy to see my medals.

And then there was this glorious sight:

0147.JPG

Coffee and cake.:lovestruc

If only more days in life could culminate in feeling so accomplished and celebrating with favorite treats.

Up Next: Whose Bright Idea Was It To Pick the Farthest Away Restaurant? Oh Right, Mine.

This photo says it all ❤️❤️❤️
Way to go Alicia!
I love that your babies (and cake and coffee) were waiting for you. What a race!!!
1708279633671.jpeg

The Gideon’s Cold Brew from the day before was intended to be my post-race celebration drink, but I made the wise decision to drink half beforehand.

Smartest move I made. ::yes::

I don’t drink caffeine at home, so having that jolt before I left the room was exactly what I needed to get me to the starting line. That and playing my favorite running playlist as quietly as possible in the bathroom to get me excited.
Coffee always helps me get going!
Even though I arrived at the first bus at the same time as the other races, this one was a lot fuller and the other runners were more antsy. When the driver was talking to their dispatcher about going to the Contemporary first, some people started complaining and begging them not to.

It was a weird ride. A lot of the runners were only participating in the 10-Miler (versus the Challenge) and they were the most anxious. I guess the unknown might have been getting to them. Who knows?
I can just imagine how high pitched everyone's nerves would be!
Getting to the starting area so early allowed me enough time to grab photos with Mater:
Cute!
Race weekends are so hard to get into that if felt like a gift to be able to participate. (Yeah, I paid a hefty entrance fee, but never once did I think it wasn’t worth it.) With life, you never know if you’ll get to do something a second time, so I was trying to soak up every last moment.
So true!
And it wouldn’t be right to run the Toy Story 10-Miler without going through Toy Story Land.
Love it!
Plus, I remember others around me were feeling tired. The mood was subdued.

I could have let it get to me, could have slowed or allowed myself to feel the strain in my calves from those passes, but instead I took stock of myself and realized.

I felt good.

My body was feeling strong, I was precisely where I wanted to be at this point on the run. My tank wasn’t empty. Quite contrary, I knew I had plenty of fuel left.

Thank you, thank you, thank you training plan! You did your job and you did it well. :worship:
Yay!
Springtime Surprise Challenge….completed!
Congratulations!! You did a fabulous job!

Way to go! What a great accomplishment! Love your description of the happenings. Your race photo really shows you're in your happy place :-)

What a great job! Congratulations on your accomplishment! What a great report... really wonderful insights into what the experience was like for you! Very much enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing.

This last update has to be my most favorite update on any trip report I've read. I'm so proud of you!! And you have an amazing talent for writing. You got me in the feels so many times. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Congrats!!!!

(In fact, the next day the temperature dropped almost ten degrees. I have no doubt, because the runDisney race officials moved the race weekend back a week, the opposite will happen in 2024 and the cool weather will disappear the day of the expo.)
If only you could have ran the week prior when I was there. It was cold and drizzly all week.

This photo says it all ❤️❤️❤️
Way to go Alicia!
I love that your babies (and cake and coffee) were waiting for you. What a race!!!

I loved that Photopass managed to capture how happy I was on the course. It's such a great reminder of how I felt that weekend.

Congrats on finishing!!! You look so happy!

Thank you! I really do enjoy the runDisney races. I'm not sure when I'll get back to another one after this April, so I'm going to appreciate it even more.

I can just imagine how high pitched everyone's nerves would be!

I would hate to be on one of the buses during Marathon weekend. I've heard everyone is unbelievably stressed and panicked during those races.

Congratulations!! You did a fabulous job!

Thank you. And I celebrated that evening with some great people! :goodvibes

Way to go! What a great accomplishment! Love your description of the happenings. Your race photo really shows you're in your happy place :-)

Thank you so much. I was thrilled to see the photos later on in the day. I knew I was having a blast, but I didn't realize it was captured so well in a photograph!

What a great job! Congratulations on your accomplishment! What a great report... really wonderful insights into what the experience was like for you! Very much enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!
I know I read a lot of race reports leading up to my first runDisney event, and I always found it interesting how each person's experience can be vastly different. I'm just grateful mine was a positive one and it led me to want to do more race weekends!

This last update has to be my most favorite update on any trip report I've read. I'm so proud of you!! And you have an amazing talent for writing. You got me in the feels so many times. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Thank you so much for your kind words! :goodvibes It made my morning. I called my husband over to show him, because I really appreciate it. I love recapping my Disney experiences; it allows me to go back to the magic for a short while. Plus, these boards have created such a rich Disney friend community. It can be a bright spot on a pretty mundane week.

You did it!!!!! That is so amazing!! And you look so happy. Congrats!!!

Thanks! I still can't believe how fun the runDisney races were.

Congratulations!

Thank you!

If only you could have ran the week prior when I was there. It was cold and drizzly all week.

I probably would've felt like I was back home in England!:rotfl::rotfl2:

I'm so glad for you. As a former runner, I could empathize with every part of your race (including that delightful pre-race caffeine buzz lol). Congratulations!

0134.jpeg
I just LOVE this photo! You can see all your hard work in it. Congrats on finishing the challenge! Run Disney is something very special, I think all runners need to experience it at some point! I am sorry the weather was yucky. Running in the heat is the worst. I would much rather the rain!

Thanks for taking us on the 10 miler with you, I loved it. I felt like I was with you!
congratulations! The medals are really cute! Monsters Inc is my favorite Pixar movie with Toy Story being a close second!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter