The walking dead amc #2

I don't want to post potential spoilers, but Gimple has commented in Entertainment weekly back a few months about the war. They've been done shooting season eight for months now so the new showrunner will be taking over for season nine.

Kirkman, the producers, etc from the beginning have all said that no one is safe. I get that, however they have been killing off main characters who had solid character development but not replacing them with newer characters with any development. People get emotionally involved with characters they see regularly.

Post away with spoilers, that's why there's a "spoiler" button (Insert). :-)

Agree about not replacing with quality characters that we can invest in.

I get that, however they have been killing off main characters who had solid character development but not replacing them with newer characters with any development. People get emotionally involved with characters they see regularly.

BINGO! This is a chief complaint I have. And with Carl, I just think it's a bad move story-wise to kill him.

Post away with spoilers, that's why there's a "spoiler" button (Insert). :-)

Agree about not replacing with quality characters that we can invest in.

I had no idea that button existed, lol! Thanks!
[....Could the war between Rick and Negan extend past season 8? We posed that question to showrunner Scott Gimple and got a very definitive answer. “The war will absolutely be resolved by the end of season 8,” says Gimple. “Absolutely.”
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/20/walking-dead-8-rick-negan/]

BINGO! This is a chief complaint I have. And with Carl, I just think it's a bad move story-wise to kill him.
Gimple has made some pretty stupid decisions in the writing and direction of the show, but part of me really wonders if some of this decision was made because Riggs is now an adult and can:
1. Work more hours than a minor and
2. Demand more screen time in his contract which equals more money.

Carl's character is a vital part of how the story progresses in the comics and killing him off completely changes the future story. Unless they give his story line to someone else, but I can't imagine who would be able to progress the story even close to how it was originally written.

Gimple has made some pretty stupid decisions in the writing and direction of the show, but part of me really wonders if some of this decision was made because Riggs is now an adult and can:

Carl's character is a vital part of how the story progresses in the comics and killing him off completely changes the future story. Unless they give his story line to someone else, but I can't imagine who would be able to progress the story even close to how it was originally written.

What about Enid? I don't read the comics, but maybe they wanted to have a female be the future of the show???

What do I know (!!), but I’d be surprised if the decision was made for money reasons. Trying to run lean is one thing, but axing characters on a show that still has solid ratings and makes money for this reason?

I still think it’s a Gimple vanity/ego thing — like him thinking he can do better than the books, and wanting the freedom to write whatever he wants. That, and a stupid mid-season cliff hanger.

What about Enid? I don't read the comics, but maybe they wanted to have a female be the future of the show???
I can't see Enid taking that role either. One thought is that Rick takes some of the role or possibly Judith? I'm just thinking aloud here....but the whole flash-forward Rick with an older Judith (if that really is Judith!?) could be a time jump? Who knows! Again, just thinking aloud.....

What do I know (!!), but I’d be surprised if the decision was made for money reasons. Trying to run lean is one thing, but axing characters on a show that still has solid ratings and makes money for this reason?

I still think it’s a Gimple vanity/ego thing — like him thinking he can do better than the books, and wanting the freedom to write whatever he wants. That, and a stupid mid-season cliff hanger.

I agree that Gimple has an ego thing and that could play a part. I'm just wondering since there are all these lawsuits against AMC by Darabont, Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, Glenn Mazzara and David Alpert. Not to mention the new lawsuit by the family of the stuntman that was killed onset.

The LA Times had an article which states.."The mother of a stuntman who fell to his death last year while working on the hit TV series "The Walking Dead" has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against cable network AMC. The suit alleges that the fall wasn't properly rehearsed and that the production cut corners in terms of safety while failing to follow industry safety standards."

"The suit alleges that AMC "orchestrated and enforced a pattern of filming and producing 'The Walking Dead' cheaply and, ultimately, unsafely." It also claims that AMC pressured Stalwart Films LLC, which produces the show, to maintain "unreasonably low budgets and expenses," including an "unreasonably low budget" for stunt performances during the season."
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-amc-stuntman-walking-dead-20180124-story.html
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-amc-stuntman-walking-dead-20180124-story.html
AMC is definitely greedy; I wouldn't put anything past them. Gimple saves them money and AMC is his boss. They pull the strings and sign the paychecks. I would not be surprised if Gimple has his own lawsuit against AMC down the road. Right now he's their golden boy who saves them money and rakes in huge amounts of cash.

Just my 2 cents, lol!

I can't see Enid taking that role either. One thought is that Rick takes some of the role or possibly Judith? I'm just thinking aloud here....but the whole flash-forward Rick with an older Judith (if that really is Judith!?) could be a time jump? Who knows! Again, just thinking aloud.....

If we are to believe Carl in facts dies from this bite, it can't be a time jump since Carl is seen in it. I guess Judith could take the Carl role, but they will have to age her even more than they have. Maybe she'll be 10 when they start the show up again lol. Just bugs me Gimple has messed with this show so much. I really loved it. Now I feel I watch it with the hopes of getting that love back.

If we are to believe Carl in facts dies from this bite, it can't be a time jump since Carl is seen in it. I guess Judith could take the Carl role, but they will have to age her even more than they have. Maybe she'll be 10 when they start the show up again lol. Just bugs me Gimple has messed with this show so much. I really loved it. Now I feel I watch it with the hopes of getting that love back.

That brings up a good point.... what was the old man Rick scene about? A hope of a future that Rick was thinking of? Or a what could have been? If the latter, does that mean it's just what Rick wishes what could have been with Carl in the future? Or also Michonne and Judith too? And if so...does anything happen to them that we don't know about yet?

I loved the show too, and I usually never get into shows. The last show I followed religiously before TWD was Lost. Yes, I was a Lostie, lol! I stopped watching TWD the beginning of this season. I will watch the midseason premier to see how they do Carl's death. But I too, hope it gets better.

That brings up a good point.... what was the old man Rick scene about? A hope of a future that Rick was thinking of? Or a what could have been? If the latter, does that mean it's just what Rick wishes what could have been with Carl in the future? Or also Michonne and Judith too? And if so...does anything happen to them that we don't know about yet?

I loved the show too, and I usually never get into shows. The last show I followed religiously before TWD was Lost. Yes, I was a Lostie, lol! I stopped watching TWD the beginning of this season. I will watch the midseason premier to see how they do Carl's death. But I too, hope it gets better.

I guess it could have been a dream. Of course there is still the Carl is immune theory and in fact that is a flash forward we saw.

I also loved Lost! Another show that started out so good and then producers screwed up. Although I will give then a little pass since apparently the show was only intended to go 3 seasons, but with it being such a huge hit they were pressured to stretch it longer. So I can't blame them too much as they weren't prepared for that. With TWD though, like people have pointed out, they have great material from the comics, yet they keep going off in these tangents that make no sense and stretch stories out way too much.

There were a few interviews much earlier in the season that touched on the "Old Man Rick" scenes.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...racter-possibly-returning-dead-020828843.html

"It seems like there are multiple timelines going on. We have the current timeline, then we have Old Man Rick, who appears to be living maybe two or three years down the road, and then there’s Red-Eye Rick. That seems like it could be a separate timeline, maybe a little further down the line in the war with Negan. What can you say about that??

"I think seeing Judith grow up gives you a good indication of a time in the future. In terms of the other ones, like where we also see Rick standing at Glenn and Abraham’s grave, things like that … we do definitely get the sense that yeah, there’s a couple different timelines. In regards to Red-Eye Rick, that’s funny — I can’t really say where that fits into the timeline. I think it’s probably based on the fact that he doesn’t have a crewcut and a gray beard that, if indeed that is a timeline, that that would play somewhere in there, probably."

http://fanfest.com/2017/09/23/the-w...reveal-the-timing-on-that-old-man-rick-twist/

Fans of the comics have been speculating that this may be a time jump which occurs after the all-out war story arch is completed. Andrew Lincoln himself seemed to confirm this future Rick theory when he said, “I mean, it’s a gray Rick. It’s an older Rick. So by virtue of the fact that you see, that means that it’s in the future.” Gimple seems to be echoing the confirmation of this theory. He told EW:

“It’s always fun to get a chance to think about where the show is going and where the characters are going. And that’s a really big moment in the comic book when we sort of jump forward and realize what’s in store for the future. So to just to be able to give a little bit of a hint to that, I think it’s exciting. It shows the audience that we’re committed for this fantastic long-term storytelling and that Rick’s got his sh– together.”

Executive producer Greg Nicotero also confirmed that this won’t be the only time we’ll see Old Man Rick appear on screen, “it’s definitely not a one-time thing,” he says. Gimple took that comment one step further saying this will be a multi-episode storyline. He said:

“I will say that we won’t know exactly what that’s about after the first episode. But we will know it about halfway through the season. We won’t quite know what it’s about, and then we’ll get an answer to that about halfway through. It’s something that’s going to play out.”

http://www.thisisinsider.com/walking-dead-greg-nicotero-season-8-interview-2017-10

Acuna: Yes. Is that really supposed to be two years, like in the comics? Rick looks kind of old with the gray hair. And Judith looks quite a bit older.

Nicotero: Yeah. I think it's probably a little more than that, because Judith does look older and Rick looks ... He's just a little grayer with his crew cut and such. I don't know if we've ever really sort of worked out the exact timeline in terms of exactly how many years in the future it is, but Alexandria's a pretty exciting, great, thriving community.

I know they're not going to intentionally spoil that they opted to kill off Carl but none of the interviews read to me that the Old Man Rick wasn't a time jump.

Of my family, one quit watching sometime during Season 2, another during Season 5, and the Season 6 finale was the last episode for another. I'm the last one and I really didn't enjoy much of the first half of Season 8. I think I'm probably done. I'll read the recaps and some reviews but it's lost something for me.

Last edited:
Hi, my name is TipsyTraveler and I'm a LOST addict....

Okay, I'll admit the third season of LOST made me a little nervous. It was during the writers' strike and the storyline seemed like it was starting to lose its way. But then they set an end date for the show, fixed the pacing issues, and got it back on track. (Let's just ignore that Sayid debacle in the last season. :laughing:)

This is the problem TWD is having -- the pace has slowed to a crawl but they're not trying to fix it. They seem content to drag this on for as many seasons as they can squeeze out of it and they're losing fans in the process. No one wants to invest an hour of viewing to see six minutes of storyline shown from four different perspectives. It's tedious.

When LOST was jumping around with flash-backs/forwards/sideways, I was right there with it analyzing the details and trying to solve the mystery. When TWD does it, my eyes glaze over and I get annoyed. Those scenes always seem to add more confusion than context and they feel like they were shoehorned in there just to serve as another way to drag things out.

Remember when Charlie died trying to tell Desmond that wasn't Penny's boat but then he returned a few episodes later because it turns out he rolled under a dumpster and was able to breathe from a pocket of air? No? Oh right, because while LOST may have gotten off-track or convoluted occasionally, it didn't insult its viewers with cheap tricks.

I agree that Gimple has an ego thing and that could play a part. I'm just wondering since there are all these lawsuits against AMC by Darabont, Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, Glenn Mazzara and David Alpert. Not to mention the new lawsuit by the family of the stuntman that was killed onset.

The LA Times had an article which states.."The mother of a stuntman who fell to his death last year while working on the hit TV series "The Walking Dead" has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against cable network AMC. The suit alleges that the fall wasn't properly rehearsed and that the production cut corners in terms of safety while failing to follow industry safety standards."

"The suit alleges that AMC "orchestrated and enforced a pattern of filming and producing 'The Walking Dead' cheaply and, ultimately, unsafely." It also claims that AMC pressured Stalwart Films LLC, which produces the show, to maintain "unreasonably low budgets and expenses," including an "unreasonably low budget" for stunt performances during the season."
AMC is definitely greedy; I wouldn't put anything past them. Gimple saves them money and AMC is his boss. They pull the strings and sign the paychecks. I would not be surprised if Gimple has his own lawsuit against AMC down the road. Right now he's their golden boy who saves them money and rakes in huge amounts of cash.

Just my 2 cents, lol!

I get what you're saying. I guess I put little stock in things like these lawsuits. So many are brought in this country as a money grab -- doesn't mean they're legitimate. And even if AMC stands to pay through the nose on lawsuits, I'd imagine that Riggs' salary would be a drop in the bucket -- just can't see how any of that could be the reason.

It is ultimately AMC's fault that Gimple is killing the show. I'm still hoping that his "promotion" to this newly created role is them getting him out of the way of the day to day without having to break a contract or fire him. They have enough of a mess with other lawsuits going on! Fingers crossed!

Yes! I am a huge Lostie too. TWD is no LOST. Old Rick could be a flash forward, but I am guessing it's Rick's dream of what the future could have been. I don't even care who dies anymore. At this point, they can all die and only walkers roam. I am done with the cliffhangers & tricks.

There were a few interviews much earlier in the season that touched on the "Old Man Rick" scenes.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...racter-possibly-returning-dead-020828843.html

"It seems like there are multiple timelines going on. We have the current timeline, then we have Old Man Rick, who appears to be living maybe two or three years down the road, and then there’s Red-Eye Rick. That seems like it could be a separate timeline, maybe a little further down the line in the war with Negan. What can you say about that??

"I think seeing Judith grow up gives you a good indication of a time in the future. In terms of the other ones, like where we also see Rick standing at Glenn and Abraham’s grave, things like that … we do definitely get the sense that yeah, there’s a couple different timelines. In regards to Red-Eye Rick, that’s funny — I can’t really say where that fits into the timeline. I think it’s probably based on the fact that he doesn’t have a crewcut and a gray beard that, if indeed that is a timeline, that that would play somewhere in there, probably."

http://fanfest.com/2017/09/23/the-w...reveal-the-timing-on-that-old-man-rick-twist/

Fans of the comics have been speculating that this may be a time jump which occurs after the all-out war story arch is completed. Andrew Lincoln himself seemed to confirm this future Rick theory when he said, “I mean, it’s a gray Rick. It’s an older Rick. So by virtue of the fact that you see, that means that it’s in the future.” Gimple seems to be echoing the confirmation of this theory. He told EW:

“It’s always fun to get a chance to think about where the show is going and where the characters are going. And that’s a really big moment in the comic book when we sort of jump forward and realize what’s in store for the future. So to just to be able to give a little bit of a hint to that, I think it’s exciting. It shows the audience that we’re committed for this fantastic long-term storytelling and that Rick’s got his sh– together.”

Executive producer Greg Nicotero also confirmed that this won’t be the only time we’ll see Old Man Rick appear on screen, “it’s definitely not a one-time thing,” he says. Gimple took that comment one step further saying this will be a multi-episode storyline. He said:

“I will say that we won’t know exactly what that’s about after the first episode. But we will know it about halfway through the season. We won’t quite know what it’s about, and then we’ll get an answer to that about halfway through. It’s something that’s going to play out.”

http://www.thisisinsider.com/walking-dead-greg-nicotero-season-8-interview-2017-10

Acuna: Yes. Is that really supposed to be two years, like in the comics? Rick looks kind of old with the gray hair. And Judith looks quite a bit older.

Nicotero: Yeah. I think it's probably a little more than that, because Judith does look older and Rick looks ... He's just a little grayer with his crew cut and such. I don't know if we've ever really sort of worked out the exact timeline in terms of exactly how many years in the future it is, but Alexandria's a pretty exciting, great, thriving community.

I know they're not going to intentionally spoil that they opted to kill off Carl but none of the interviews read to me that the Old Man Rick wasn't a time jump.

Of my family, one quit watching sometime during Season 2, another during Season 5, and the Season 6 finale was the last episode for another. I'm the last one and I really didn't enjoy much of the first half of Season 8. I think I'm probably done. I'll read the recaps and some reviews but it's lost something for me.

I agree, it definitely sounds like this is a time jump which Carl is alive in. So either Carl will survive or they will kill him off and rewrite the time jump into a dream sequence. I guess Gimple forgot Carl was shown in the time jump lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter