***The VWL Groupies & Trivia Thread*** Chapter 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back Blossomz! Glad to hear you had a nice trip. Lets see some pics! I've never stayed at the Poly, but my family did a few years ago. It's nice but definitely doesn't move me like the Lodge does. It is nice to have the monorail right there though.

JT - thanks for the tip. I will try to get FF for Wed. if possible. Our plane doesn't leave until 7:00 p.m. so we really have all day. I won't be able to catch Stan on Sat. though because we don't get in until 8:00 p.m.

Have a happy & safe New Year's Eve everyone! We're expecting more snow here again today. We just got rid of all the snow we had from last week's storm. Oh the joys of New England winter!

snip....

Hmm..you think an acorn is weird? Around here..they drop a white rose for York, a red rose for Lancaster....and a DILL PICKLE for Dillsburg!!! :lmao:

Happy New Year everyone!

I have been to Dillsburg! My very good friend lives there and we went to the pickle fest (or whatever they called it in October I think). Cute town, small world!

Muushka

That whole Close Encounters, VWL Lovers connection is starting to add up.

Good way to describe it all

Oh good JT. I am glad someone got it! I was beginning to think I was losing it!:lmao:

Hi everyone!

Haven't stopped by in a while but wanted to pop in and wish everyone a very happy and healthy new year! :grouphug:

Happy New Year and pop in often!:yay:

Yes, welcome Tamplain. :wave:

VWL people are certainly a different breed.
It reminds me of the move Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Remember, lots of people were exposed to the UFO's, but only a small number perused it.

In the movie, they had the same 5 notes playing in their brains over and over.
We have "The Magnificent Seven" playing in ours.

They had the vision of the Devil's Tower, we have visions of geyser in the back of the Lodge.

And the way that Gillian and Barry bonded as friends....same as the Groupies.

Earth to Muush...Earth to Muush.....

That's it!!!! I Love this Movie.... I whish I knew the notes I'd type the tune...DA... DA (Higher).. DA(Lower).. DA (Longer)... DAAA (real long)

"The Magnificent Seven" So that's where the Cowboy Music comes from :laughing:

That's it!!!! I Love this Movie.... I whish I knew the notes I'd type the tune...DA... DA (Higher).. DA(Lower).. DA (Longer)... DAAA (real long)

"The Magnificent Seven" So that's where the Cowboy Music comes from :laughing:

By George I think she's got it! I love that movie too (in case you couldn't tell).;)

:surfweb: just finished reading back
Tamplain Welcome to the Groupies :yay: :yay:
You got some good advice from Wilderness Dad, eliza61, and Dory. I may add that you may want to do a split contract or buy the current deal with Disney and find a small add on at VWL either with Disney or resale for those hard to book times. I think someone else may have suggested it...not a bad thought

Blossomz Welcome back!!!!

Maria Great New Moose Year Moose

Horselover Hope you're feeling better...snow starting here too.

See you all real soon :wizard:

blossomz - Welcome home! Glad you had a good trip and safe return. Hoping for pictures and more details. popcorn::

Maria - Get rested up and thanks for the cute moose wishes.

Queenie - Good to see you again! Happy New Year!

OK...here are some pics... I cannot believe how much we did in only 4 days...that's what I get for taking along a newbie! My feet hurt! Haven't toured commando style in a really long time..but because the weather was so beautiful I decided to hit as many attractions as possible! We had dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse..first time. It was really nice and quite tasty!
PC230111.jpg
[/IMG]
PC250304.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]
PC250316.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

How does the split contract work. Say I was to get 160 at BLT and then pick up say 50 at VWL. Does that give me 210 to use anyplace. I am guessiig there is maybe something here that explains all of this and if so and someone want to point me to it I understand. Hell I am still trying to figure out the single contract.

On another note can anyone tell me if you have used your points to stay other places, say out of the country or in Vermont, etc. This is an important feature that we are looking at.

Appreciate any feedback or guidance to another post that already has this info.

How does the split contract work. Say I was to get 160 at BLT and then pick up say 50 at VWL. Does that give me 210 to use anyplace. I am guessing there is maybe something here that explains all of this and if so and someone want to point me to it I understand. Hell I am still trying to figure out the single contract.
When you are booking in the 11-month window (from 11 months from check-in to 7 months plus one day from check-in) you can only "pay" with points from the resort you want to book (only VWL points can be used to book VWL, only BLT pts can be used to book BLT). Once you are inside the 7-month booking window, you can use any points to book any resort (VWL points can be used to book at BLT for example). Many of us who own contracts at more than one resort use banking and/or borrowing to accumulate enough points for a stay every other year or every third year. For example, I own 100 pts at VWL which is enough for 6 nights in a 1BR in May (196 pts) or 7 nights in Dec (200 pts) every other year. In the years in between, I bank/borrow pts in my AKV contract to book a stay there.

On another note can anyone tell me if you have used your points to stay other places, say out of the country or in Vermont, etc. This is an important feature that we are looking at.
I don't use my points for anything other than DVC. Some people do but you get the best value for your points by using them at DVC.

Just an FYI: If you have any other "how to" questions, you should consider posting a thread on the DVC Operations board which is the place to ask how the program works. In fact, you might want to browse through the first few pages of that forum because it's a great way to learn about DVC! Here is a link: DVC Operations.

Appreciate any feedback or guidance to another post that already has this info.

I've used my points at other places a number of times but LisaS is right, the best value is at a DVC resort.

So far we've gone to:
NYC many times
London UK once
Washington DC 3 times

All on points. All bookings were done through the concierge collection. Each hotel was absolutely stunning. Remember you will also get a booking charge when you book out of the disney resorts (I think it's $100 bucks).
We will in all liklihood do it agree some time in the near future.

We booked our 1st seven nights for Dec at where else(is there any other place)VWL. And we are currently at day by day(as MS suggested, I was hoping we were past all that). MS is closed tommorrow, so will be adding 3 more days, plus my Mom and Dad and a family friend will be coming in for a long weekend in a studio. Another reason for loving DVC and VWL, we can share with family and friends. My Mom has been wanting to Candlelight Processional since 2000. We were greenhorns, thought the line was too long. She will see it this time. We will make sure of it.

Wow, JT, I just had to grab a calendar to make sure I know when to book for next year! I think we will just miss you.
We will have to call while we are at WDW to get our reservations! But I am glad I checked. I just put it on the calendar to call on the 5th!

I give up. Why do we still have to do day by day? I thought we called in for the first day of check in and let them know the day of check out. And while we are asking questions, once we book and need to drop a day, is that all right? Silly question I know, but want to be sure.

Happy New Year Groupies!!!

Just dropping in before the Asti Spumanti gets the best of me to say HAPPY NEW YEAR to my favorite online friends - the Groupies!!!!!

pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Well my decision may have been made real easy. DW has learned that you gotta pay MF per point which would add up to around $1000 per year I am guessing and not wanting to pay that on top of the buy in price.

At least no more thought has to be put into it.

Happy New Year

Wow, JT, I just had to grab a calendar to make sure I know when to book for next year! I think we will just miss you.
We will have to call while we are at WDW to get our reservations! But I am glad I checked. I just put it on the calendar to call on the 5th!

I give up. Why do we still have to do day by day? I thought we called in for the first day of check in and let them know the day of check out. And while we are asking questions, once we book and need to drop a day, is that all right? Silly question I know, but want to be sure.

Happy New Year Groupies!!!

Hey Muushka

We will be there in Nov/ Dec for 13 nights. So the first 7 can be booked all at once. Tammy said the CM suggested calling day by day to make sure we get the rest of our nights.

And we should be there for a few days overlapping. We will be arriving on Nov 28, staying til Dec 11.

As for dropping a day, I dont think it would cause any problems. Just make sure you use those pts within that use year.

BTW, we are booked for that DC!!! We are so excited! Its like going to WDW for the first time, and being like a kid in the candy store:yay:

Well my decision may have been made real easy. DW has learned that you gotta pay MF per point which would add up to around $1000 per year I am guessing and not wanting to pay that on top of the buy in price.

At least no more thought has to be put into it.

Happy New Year

Tamplain

We looked at buying DVC and just couldnt see paying out that much. We looked at it again a year later, and thought the price had gone up a little, and after much coaxing, I convinced my DW to sigh on the dotted line.

This was my way of looking at it financially. Resort prices arent declining, but rather increasing, pretty much annually. We can make two weeklong stays at DVC resorts, basically for what it costs to stay one week in a deluxe room. And though those costs may seem like a chunk a month, spreading it out like that vs. chunking all at one time, it doesnt hurt as bad. And as a general rule, after 7 yrs of ownership, it seems to be the break even point.

We can travel to WDW, stay in some really nice accommodations, which all include at the least, a MW and mini fridge, plus more sq. footage than standard deluxe hotel rooms. I know this because I have stayed at the WL in their rooms, and studios on the Villas side are roomier, including the kitchenette. Dont get me wrong, I love the WL and love being there. But the Villas side is more peaceful and relaxing.

I am not trying to sell you on buying in, but if it is a dream, maybe table it for awhile, run some numbers, see what it will cost you in comparable accommodations and come back to it later.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIZA! :bday: party:

Question for those that just returned - JT, Blossomz, or anyone else I missed. There's a big thread over on the resorts board about a Norwalk-like virus running rampant around the World. Did anyone notice anything like this while you were there? Sometimes I think these rumors just get spread like wildfire for no apparent reason. Seems strange that this virus has been going on for over a month now. I'm not a germaphobe but I'd like to be prepared just in case. I'm hoping this particular rumor is not true. Nothing like a bad stomach virus to ruin a trip. :scared:

So who else is getting ready to make their ressies for next Dec.? We'll be calling soon. Still debating between 12/5-9 or 12/12-16, but leaning towards the 12-16 dates. I'm really torn on where to stay. I was thinking of doing a 2 & 2 split between VWL & AKV, but DH thinks it will be a pain to move. Love the thought of VWL for the holidays, but we did buy AKV because we love the feel of that resort too & I've been waiting for Kidani to be open before staying there. Sigh. Decisions, decisions. Anyone want to add there 2 cents?

Happy New Year again everyone! 16 days to go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter