The Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad

Tim Daggett before Sunrisa Lee's competition: "even her father John is here." Duh, he's sitting (in his wheelchair) in his own living room. If he were back in the hospital he'd still be watching on t.v. Since he was able to travel across country to watch his DD in the olympic trials, it's not inconceivable he could watch her on t.v. at home.

Then Tim said, "Parents hang onto your children" before another event. What is that supposed to mean?

If you watch in the morning live on Peacock, it’s John Roethlisberger and Bridget Sloan. I think they are much better. I also think that the Olympics should use Bart Connor for commentating.

I thought it was interesting to hear so much chatter amongst Nastia, Tim, and Terry during the warm ups about something wasn't right with Simone before she had even done anything. They showed how she has been off for the last several weeks - going back to the trials.
She was definitely off at the trials. Watching her today, before she even vaulted, I could see her anxiety on her face. I’m so glad athletes are standing up for themselves and advocating for their mental health. Seeing some of the comments on social media shows we have such a far way to go in truly understanding mental health.

“After further medical evaluation, Simone Biles has withdrawn from the final individual all-around competition at the Tokyo Olympic Games, in order to focus on her mental health. Simone will continue to be evaluated daily to determine whether or not to participate in next week’s individual event finals," USA Gymnastics said in a statement. "We wholeheartedly support Simone’s decision and applaud her bravery in prioritizing her well-being. Her courage shows, yet again, why she is a role model for so many.”

Happy to see Jade get a chance in the all around.

I thought it was interesting to hear so much chatter amongst Nastia, Tim, and Terry during the warm ups about something wasn't right with Simone before she had even done anything. They showed how she has been off for the last several weeks - going back to the trials.
The commentating last night wasn't done live. The morning live commentary with John and Bridget went much differently.

A very exciting opportunity for Jade Carey! Looking forward to seeing her in the AA.

Interestingly, it won't get ANY press at all, but Adrienne Lyle withdrew from the individual Grand Prix dressage after winning a silver medal in the team competition yesterday, saying her horse (the amazing Salvino) "didn't feel quite like himself this morning". Is she a "quitter" too...or maybe she did the right thing for her and her horse to prevent injury both physical and mental? https://www.usef.org/media/press-re...pRPdAx2icPgMMeIyOUDI7vpYrnVZqwd0bVacl8oG69JXg

Last edited:
What a terrible thing to say.

She made a mistake on her first run out, then packed up her things and called it a day. Tom Brady goes to the Super Bowl and throws an interception on his first pass. Lebron goes to the NBA Finals and throws an air ball on his first shot. Don't think they'd be applauded if they packed up and went home.

A very exciting opportunity for Jade Carey! Looking forward to seeing her in the AA.

Interestingly, it won't get ANY press at all, but Adrienne Lyle withdrew from the individual Grand Prix dressage after winning a silver medal in the team competition yesterday, saying her horse (the amazing Salvino) "didn't feel quite like himself this morning". Is she a "quitter" too...or maybe she did the right thing for her and her horse to prevent injury both physical and mental? https://www.usef.org/media/press-re...pRPdAx2icPgMMeIyOUDI7vpYrnVZqwd0bVacl8oG69JXg

Maybe they won't criminally underscore Jade on balance beam again (if I were her coach, I'd love to know why she got the number she did in team)...

She made a mistake on her first run out, then packed up her things and called it a day. Tom Brady goes to the Super Bowl and throws an interception on his first pass. Lebron goes to the NBA Finals and throws an air ball on his first shot. Don't think they'd be applauded if they packed up and went home.

Do you even understand the sport of gymnastics? She could be seriously injured or even killed if she is not there mentally. On her first vault you could tell that she was lost in the air and she was lucky that she did not land harder or on her head or back. In a team sport like football and basketball you have others on the field and court that can support you. While it was the team final all of them are out there individually competing. Also in football and basketball guess what you suck and you sit on the bench. She could not take a timeout since she was competing in all the events.

While I do feel that she placed a ton of pressure on her teammates and they rose to the occasion and deserve to be celebrated for an incredible accomplishment. I do not know if she had been talking with them before the competition and therefore they knew about her hesitancy. That is the point none of us are Simone Biles and none of us are in her head.

Have you ever competed under the pressure of an entire country? Have some compassion and be a human.

If Brady throws three interceptions in the first half and admits to his coaches he doesn't even know which players are his teammates or LeBron goes 0 for 12 in the first quarter and says he can't see the hoop and either of them know that the sub on the bench gives them a better chance to win, yes, I think they'd be applauded (by most people).

Oh, and in neither scenario above do either of them risk likely career-ending injury by pushing forward.

That's because you see it as just that. It's not. When I watched the trials I thought I saw some tension in her face, something akin to anxiety perhaps over overwhelming pressure which a lot of athletes do but with gymnastics there was the added sexual assault.

Could she have dropped then during the initial trials? Yeah. On the other hand she felt like she needed to be out there for everyone because everyone was counting on her and in some ways you're not going to know how your body (mental and physical) will handle it until you're faced with it. I think that's why she did several things before realizing she needed to step back.

If Tom Brady or LeBron ever have to withdraw for reasons such as mental stress (and hopefully they feel like they actually can do so if they needed to) I hope sporting fans would support them. To do so otherwise is well ridiculous. Maybe that gives you perspective on your comparison?

If Brady throws three interceptions in the first half and admits to his coaches he doesn't even know which players are his teammates or LeBron goes 0 for 12 in the first quarter and says he can't see the hoop and either of them know that the sub on the bench gives them a better chance to win, yes, I think they'd be applauded (by most people).

Oh, and in neither scenario above do either of them risk likely career-ending injury by pushing forward.

Absolutely - chances are the coach would pull them anyway.

Also, I agree with Aly Raisman that there is something wrong systemically with the USA Gymnastics program that has contributed to this. It certainly is highly unusual, but I don't blame Simone.

Well...she's a quitter. Plain and simple. Feel bad for the rest of the team.
Or maybe there’s a deeper insight to be had? This is an interesting take. https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/article/simone-biles-team-finals-tokyo-olympics-apparent-injury/

The phrase “The tectonic plates in a sport where obedience, discipline and silence were long considered as important as talent and artistry, are moving.” says a lot about what generations of these athletes have gone through. Those days are behind them now and all the better. We’re talking about games here, not some Marvel’esque grand sacrificial act that saves the world.

Either they would get bigger flack, or bigger applause. Because they are men. Men can't be weak which you would probably say, if they pulled out. And the people who understand mental issues would give the even more praise for the same reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter