The Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
Any and all Olympic-related discussion welcome - Let the Games Begin!

:cheer2:Woot! Who else is excited? Like everything in this crazy Covid world, it will be a little different but I'm still really looking forward to it. The Opening Ceremonies are broadcast here tomorrow morning but competition has already started in some sports. I'll be glued to the CBC coverage starting at 6:00 pm with the Men's Singles Rowing heats.

I am a big cheesy, red-white-and-blue bleedin' Olympic lover. I love it. The back-stories. The pageantry. The triumph and the defeat. I was jumping on my couch screaming at the television when Michael Phelps was swimming to history, and near tears when Kerry Strug fell on her first vault and then landed one-footed on her second. I don't watch a lick of sports outside of the Olympics, but every 4 years I become an arm chair expert on proper dive technique or what a double twisting layout should look like.

Always watch the Olympics, already a few hours in with the CBC live streams. I've got to see a couple of softball games and a couple of soccer matches so far. Rowing on now.

watched partial time in 1984, remember carl and women marathon, 1988 has summer off as a school teacher, so watched all day,1992 saw the dream team live in Portland....and then i fell in love with John Tesh and his color back stories on the olympics....so much history...then the concept of back stories/history/joy/failure irrated many folks saying it is all about sports...not the becoming.....so I stopped watching. though the winter olympics are fun to watch, more compact and in the house. Chances are that I will not see any opening/closing or event.....living out of a suitcase and someone else tv or lack of tv. i did love the london opening ceremonies ....holy cow that raised the bar.

and in 1996 I did teach the Olympics during summer school.....Chariots of fire, running brave, breaking away, Wilma

Last edited:
Love.

Pretty much everything.

As I get older I do seem to love cutthroat sports/competitions the most. Maybe I always did but just couldn't admit it. :laughing:

Despite the stress there I am looking forward to seeing Tokyo and Japan. I lived there for a bit, well in the prior century. :drinking1;)

I'm planning on getting up early to watch Eddy carry the flag into the Opening Ceremonies.

Congratulations to all these amazing athletes!

They are not just the best their country has to offer -- they are the best in the world! And every one of them has a great story of love, faith, motivation, determination, guts, and rising above setbacks large and small. They are an inspiration to us all.

Can’t wait to watch gymnastics! I hope Simone Biles takes home the gold.
I have fond memories of watching the games. I remember Kerri Strug’s vault vividly and watched that live.

I don’t believe that was broadcast live. Not on NBC anyway. NBC was justifiably raked over the coals for delaying the broadcast of live events, even by ten minutes, so they could better “package” them with commentary and other drivel.

Last edited:
...Despite the stress there I am looking forward to seeing Tokyo and Japan. I lived there for a bit, well in the prior century. :drinking1;)
CBC has the most excellent Mark Sakamoto doing on-going docu-features on Japan and it's culture of sport for the duration of the games. I saw the first segment and it was extremely touching. He is a 4th generation Japanese Canadian whose grandparents and great-grandparents were interned in detention camps in southern Alberta during the WWII - another shameful episode in our history that not many are aware of. One of his grandmothers who was held in the camps ended up marrying a white Canadian who had been a Japanese POW. He's got such an interesting perspective. I hope you get a chance to catch some of his stuff - the series is entitled "Sugoi Tokyo". :goodvibes

Last edited:
They will, nbc, nbc sports network, USA network, Olympic channel and Peacock will all stream their events. NBC will have a nightly Team USA highlights every night of the Olympics.
For free? Or only on the paid services or if you already have paid TV? A lot of the network apps only let you watch if you already have a paid service.

For free? Or only on the paid services or if you already have paid TV? A lot of the network apps only let you watch if you already have a paid service.
If you get the channel on cable. I believe if you have Peacock, you can watch most of the events. :confused3
NBC usually posts highlights on YouTube as well.

Last edited:
I've been clearing out some DVR space (mostly watching recorded christmas movies) lol

The only downside to recording it is that because of instantaneous information you may find out about an athlete's ranking or something they've done spectacularly, a team's win, or the medal count before getting to see the event. But it's nice to being able to fast forward commercials and whatnot.

I'm interested to see how surfing goes. Really excited for gymnastics (that's probably my favorite), last summer olympics I got into rhythmic gymnastics too, swimming is fun to watch and rowing as well. Diving I like to watch but synchronized stresses me out even though I watch it anyways.

Looking forward to gymnastics, diving, swimming, track and softball (watched a bit of USA vs. Canada last night). Love the Olympics! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter