The Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad

My knowledge of football is almost non-existent. The article I googled said for the finale an 80k stadium was a requirement for the bid of 2018.

It is. I looked up the bid requirements for 2026, and the opening and final match are required to be in a stadium with at least 80K seats.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/5730ee56c15eeddb/original/hgopypqftviladnm7q90-pdf.pdf

Opening Match 80,000
Round of 32 40,000
Round of 16 40,000
Quarter-finals 40,000
Semi-finals 60,000
Third place play-off
Final 80,000

However, that can generally be done if the host is willing to build or expand stadiums to meet those requirements. But I was addressing a previous comment claiming that the requirement for the smallest venues was for 50,000 seat stadiums, when 40,000 seems to be the current minimum.

I'm looking at the available stadiums in the Netherlands, and they're not very big. It would require a ton of expansion or new building to meet the standard. Someone mentioned a joint bid with Belgium, and I think they have the same problem. In Qatar, they were willing spend a boatload of money on it as basically a vanity project. Kind of reminds me of Beijing National Stadium, which was built for the 2008 Olympics. It's basically underused almost all of the time since the football team that was planning on playing there left after finding out that their 10,000 average attendance looked bad in a 91,000 seat stadium.

Amsterdam did host the Olympics in 1928. Yeah, whole different era with probably only about 10% of the current sports/events.

I can’t imagine the country hosting the World Cup. Unless it’s shared with Belgium and maybe Luxembourg like someone suggested.

@Buzz Rules, will the US, Canada, and Mexico each automatically qualify in 2026 as joint hosts?

I understand the prior champion no longer gets an guaranteed spot in the next WC. They need to qualify.

Amsterdam did host the Olympics in 1928. Yeah, whole different era with probably only about 10% of the current sports/events.

I can’t imagine the country hosting the World Cup. Unless it’s shared with Belgium and maybe Luxembourg like someone suggested.
Still wouldn’t work without a massive building campaign. Luxembourg’s biggest stadium will have less than 10,000 seats.

@Buzz Rules, will the US, Canada, and Mexico each automatically qualify in 2026 as joint hosts?

I understand the prior champion no longer gets an guaranteed spot in the next WC. They need to qualify.

Champions have never been given an automatic spot as long as I have watched. 2026 will most likely have at least USA being an automatic qualifier since it will hold 90% of the matches. It will be the first time the World Cup will be expanded to 48 teams instead of just 32. FIFA will confirm the 2026 host qualifier spot at
the next FIFA council meeting next year. All regions are getting more World Cup spots, so this is becoming a less of an issue. Mexico might qualify as well under the host rule since they and the USA both just became a top 10 team according to the FIFA rankings from this morning. Canada is the real question whether they will get automatic qualification since they will be hosting a small number of games and their ranking is so low. If they do better this Fall in the 2022 World Cup qualifiers, that may change. Concacaf will get 6 spots in 2026 not just 3.5 (2022). Europe and South America hate this move since they alone view themselves as legitimate contenders annually for the World Cup title. Info on qualifiers so far:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

The World Cup doesn't necessarily require 50K seat stadiums. I looked up the venues in Qatar, and 6 out of the 8 stadiums used will be in the 40-45K range. In Brazil they had about half of their stadiums in the 40-45K range. In Russia (2018) and France (1998) they had several stadiums around 30K.

The last WC where all the stadiums had at least 50K capacity was in the US in 1994.

Apologies, the requirement per FIFA is 40K for group stage, 60K for QF and Higher, 80K for the Final.

Small country = Small stadiums ;-)
True but they usually have a national stadium. The Eredivisie has great stadiums and Amsterdam has a nice one with Ajax (55,500 capacity). I think FIFA’s thoughts on hosting will expanded permanently after 2026 when a record profit will be made.🤑⚽
By the way, the Dutch Eredivisie is an awesome league. You’re lucky to have such an entertaining domestic league.

are they over yet?...asking for a friend :rolleyes1
Nah they live on in threads, places where people discuss and stuff, now that the official games are over doesn't matter the twists and turns the thread takes so pull up a seat new poster who just joined today, join in on the discussion (or not), maybe have a :drinking1and meet new friends if you want to :)

And now for extra added Olympics fun, here's the entire opening ceremony of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, including the awesome 1980s commercials!!

The closing ceremonies are also in there, not sure if it's the whole thing or not...

For @Cannot_Wait_4Disney and anyone else who may be interested.

UK vs. USSR comparison

If using 1896 as the benchmark, the UK and its current and former possessions won 199 medals in Tokyo, There are several iffy situations, such as Israel and Jordan.

But the USSR didn't exist until 1917. Using that date, the former Soviet republics won 139 in Tokyo vs. 133 for the UK. Again, some big ifs. Lativia and the other Baltic nations weren't part of the USSR until 1940. That reduces the USSR Tokyo count to 134, still nipping the UK. I'm not sure about other republics and I have no desire to investigate

Both the USSR and the Former Mother country kick 'Murica's butt, :laughing::laughing:

When ever they would put up the infograph of the location of the event being shown I always thought "boy I'd totally get lost" :laughing: so I feel for this guy although the stakes he had on the line was obviously very big. And it's nice for him to pay it back and give that recognition

That’s why competitors aren’t supposed to miss the bus.

And now for extra added Olympics fun, here's the entire opening ceremony of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, including the awesome 1980s commercials!!

The closing ceremonies are also in there, not sure if it's the whole thing or not...
Admittedly I jumped around the video due to length but that's really neat to see how much has changed.

Well is anyone supposed to miss the bus? Of course not. But it can happen and I can understand how it can happen. It was a nice gesture on the part of the volunteer and on the athlete to call out the gesture :)

Sure. There was an on-demand car service available, but those have to be arranged like an Uber ride. I guess at that point it was like trying to arrange an Uber ride on New Years Eve. Maybe he would have eventually gotten a ride, but not in time to make it to the event.

For the vast majority of those coming to Tokyo — an estimated 50,000 to 60,000 people — a system of 2,200 coach buses and 2,700 fleet cars will shuttle them around the city on dedicated Olympic traffic lanes. The buses will be sourced from 600 different bus companies across the country, and training has already begun to let those drivers know how to get around the city.​

Sure. There was an on-demand car service available, but those have to be arranged like an Uber ride. I guess at that point it was like trying to arrange an Uber ride on New Years Eve. Maybe he would have eventually gotten a ride, but not in time to make it to the event.

For the vast majority of those coming to Tokyo — an estimated 50,000 to 60,000 people — a system of 2,200 coach buses and 2,700 fleet cars will shuttle them around the city on dedicated Olympic traffic lanes. The buses will be sourced from 600 different bus companies across the country, and training has already begun to let those drivers know how to get around the city.​
I was really just commenting on kindness of a stranger and how I understand how one could get lost, that's all, nothing more nothing less :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter