The September 2017 Post Hurricane Trip Report pics added

Look for your name (5rookiesDIY) in upper right corner. A drop box will appear, click on avatar, directions will be there for a pic.

Ooops. I missed the word "profile".

And THAT's why she's the sheriff 'round here. :worship:

Bama Ed

Hi! We have just jumped on board for the planning of our first Disney trip for THIS September! Crazy how it all fell together in just one week. It's been 24 hour vacation and park planning ever since we made our Fort reservation one week ago. My family and I will be staying at the Fort Sept.9-16 in a large 5th wheel camper. We got a golf cart too. I saw someone mention that it would be really good to get one. I'm glad we did after I saw the map of the Fort!! Oy!

I can't figure out how to get a profile pic up here (help!)

Looking forward to reading everyone's plans and learning from experienced Disney vacationers.

iz6moete3gmxc0ir.png
We love large 5th wheels, our is 42 plus with 6 slides.

Hi! We have just jumped on board for the planning of our first Disney trip for THIS September.
Looks like you are literally new to the DIS and the Camping forum. Welcome and congrats on grabbing the September ressie.

If you haven't read up on these forums before signing up, have fun. There is so much great info on here, but you can go a little crazy trying to take it all in.

We will be arriving as you are pulling out. We'll wave on the way in. Look for another big 5er. That will be us. :D

j

September is shaping up to be a big DIS Meet.

I did mention that a certain Chris has been stalking me and has also requested the 400 loop. She said they would be sure to keep us well apart.

j

Well, well, I guess I will bring the Yuengling Beer, nothing better on the East Coast.
And really, Stalking ??? I mean come one, doesn't everyone need at least one good stalker in their life??
Looking forward to meeting everyone this trip, then the countdown begins to GSP Episode III.

Think they were more worried about us being near each other and upsetting the balance of the earth with our big rigs than losing a little sun.
That is why I had also called, being 65 feet overall is a concern for sure, and well the 18 feet is enough for even those of us with 6 slides.
Need to work on some of my trailer/Disney projects, where has the time gone.....:hourglass

We will also be there around that time (9/20-24) and are 65'. If there aren't any more spots in the 400 loop, what's another good option? We are brand new working full-timers and this will be exactly our fourth attempt at getting in a campground. You may want to have your popcorn ready. It took us an hour to get into our driveway and we haven't moved since. Move out date is 9/1/17. Minnesota plates, FordF350 with Jayco North Pointe. Hope to see you there!

This isn't on the topic of September trips, but anyone want to explain to me why you chose a 5th wheel vs regular hitch tow behind vs camper you drive? My husband is desperately trying to get me to "invest" in a camping set up, and I'm trying to figure out why someone would want one kind over another.
This next trip we are camping how I prefer - in a cabin Sept 7-9 before switching over a DVC room at AKV. So he has a hard sell to get me to agree to any kind of camping set up.:cutie:

If there aren't any more spots in the 400 loop, what's another good option?

You may want to have your popcorn ready. It took us an hour to get into our driveway and we haven't moved since.

Minnesota plates, FordF350 with Jayco North Pointe. Hope to see you there!
MNChill,

We'll keep an eye out for you. If you have a Premium site reserved, almost any of the sites should be ok. Inner loop in 1400 may be a little tight for 65 ft, but give them a call so they know your dimensions and they will fix you up. Personally, I like to be close to the Settlement. I love the sounds of the boats and the easy walk to the marina and Settlement bus stop. Since Chris (PA Hunter) said he requested the 400 loop, I figured I'd try to get in close to another DISer. Besides, he is coming to the GSP DIS fest next year and I thought I owed it to him to fill him in on what to expect.

Anyone want to explain to me why you chose a 5th wheel vs regular hitch tow behind vs camper you drive?
Sleepy,

I have had a hybrid, a TT and now, two 5ers. For me it is the extra space, both inside and out. Most 5ers have considerably more outside storage and generally better inside storage. They are typically taller which allows more head room and more space options going up (storage, bunks) that you don't have in a TT. TTs will typically get you better fuel mileage. Most don't weigh as much as a similar length 5er and are shorter. I personally think they are easier to back up, but a 5er is more comfortable towing in general. No sway. They feel more stable overall. 5ers are also much easier to hitch up. Get the pin box the right height, back in, lock the hitch and raise the legs. None of the guessing trying to line up a ball and hitch, cranking down the tongue jack, chains, WD bars (that seem to want to kill you), sway control.

As for talking you out of a cabin or DVC. I wouldn't buy a camper only to use at the Fort (unless I lived close enough to go often). I think most of us have campers because we love camping. The Fort just happens to be the happiest place to camp... anywhere. If you think you would like camping, then consider a camper, but I wouldn't buy one just to have an alternative to staying at a WDW or off site resort.

j

Sleepy I defer to Teamubr's expertise on differences between types of trailers not having one myself. We got our class A after I introduced my wife to camping a la cabin at the Fort on her first visit to WDW. She loved it. We made friends with a couple who happened to be long term residents in The Fort who gave us a 50 cent tour of their coach. On our next visit we did a split stay AKL/ Ft W Cabin and all she wanted was to move to Cabin. I suspect I didn't help that I would sit upright in bed every 2nd or 3rd night and call for our bigger dog WookieBear. That is when she announced we needed to get an RV. We got ours 3.5 years ago and are now looking for another as we now have 3 dogs so a 3rd slide is needed and to be honest we got one that wasn't maintained as it needed to be by a prior owner and is in for repairs too often. We love that when we do use it we sleep in OUR bed. The dogs love to come with us and enjoy ADVENTURING more than going to CAMP. We have found some local campgrounds near us that we enjoy going to and have met some great people along the way. Stick around this forum for a bit and you will find we are an odd lot but a fun one. Solid advice when needed, cheerful banter when appropriate in short friends

Well, well, I guess I will bring the Yuengling Beer, nothing better on the East Coast.
And really, Stalking ??? I mean come one, doesn't everyone need at least one good stalker in their life??
Looking forward to meeting everyone this trip, then the countdown begins to GSP Episode III.
Chris it has been a few years but I was always fond of STROH'S . I think Teamubr is the one stalking Like you I am looking forward to GSP III Hopefully I will get to meet Bama Ed. Garneska and one or two others during Marathon weekend in Jan. You I hope to meet in Hershey at show

MNChill,

We'll keep an eye out for you. If you have a Premium site reserved, almost any of the sites should be ok. Inner loop in 1400 may be a little tight for 65 ft, but give them a call so they know your dimensions and they will fix you up. Personally, I like to be close to the Settlement. I love the sounds of the boats and the easy walk to the marina and Settlement bus stop. Since Chris (PA Hunter) said he requested the 400 loop, I figured I'd try to get in close to another DISer. Besides, he is coming to the GSP DIS fest next year and I thought I owed it to him to fill him in on what to expect.

Sleepy,

I have had a hybrid, a TT and now, two 5ers. For me it is the extra space, both inside and out. Most 5ers have considerably more outside storage and generally better inside storage. They are typically taller which allows more head room and more space options going up (storage, bunks) that you don't have in a TT. TTs will typically get you better fuel mileage. Most don't weigh as much as a similar length 5er and are shorter. I personally think they are easier to back up, but a 5er is more comfortable towing in general. No sway. They feel more stable overall. 5ers are also much easier to hitch up. Get the pin box the right height, back in, lock the hitch and raise the legs. None of the guessing trying to line up a ball and hitch, cranking down the tongue jack, chains, WD bars (that seem to want to kill you), sway control.

As for talking you out of a cabin or DVC. I wouldn't buy a camper only to use at the Fort (unless I lived close enough to go often). I think most of us have campers because we love camping. The Fort just happens to be the happiest place to camp... anywhere. If you think you would like camping, then consider a camper, but I wouldn't buy one just to have an alternative to staying at a WDW or off site resort.

j
It would be for camping up here (we're from CT). We own a single wide trailer on a nice, secluded plot of land in VT that is in poor condition but the family won't fix it up, so we are mostly just going to camp there from now on. My grandfather had an RV and put the necessary hookups and leveled out part of the lot for it, so my husband wants something to camp in for when we go up there (and then we would start camping other places more local, too). Since it is a 5 hour drive (more with 4 kids) he wants something easier to set up than the tent when we get up there at night.
ETA: this isn't something we will be buying soon. I need to do a lot more research to make sure it's the right decision. But going to the RV stores isn't the best place for research - I want opinions from people who aren't trying to sell me anything. (Although the Geo Mini we looked at was very tempting...until I reminded the guy I have 4 kids and it didn't even sleep 4 people. )

You definitely need a camper with a double bunk house/ 4 bunks. That should help narrow it down a bit. If you're going to use a truck you already own that will narrow it down some more.

Well after a total blow out WDW trip last September, with Park Hoppers, Dining Plan, and a wonderful stay at Caribbean Beach, we have decided on a much more laid back FW stay for this year. I can't wait to camp there again! FW is just such a spectacular resort. It is very much a destination unto itself. We will be tent camping, so I am kind of hoping for something the 1500 loop. Our last tent stay was in the 2000 loop and it was fine, but a little removed. Our only park journey this year is going to be Not So Scary for one night. It just seems wrong to come WDW and not go the Magic Kingdom. I think I'll go ahead and make my ressie for next year to check out all the new additions too! I'm am so ready for some Fort Time!

Well after a total blow out WDW trip last September, we have decided on a much more laid back FW stay for this year.
Nice! Hopefully the fairy dust will fall your way and you land in the 1500 loop.

Let us know when you are coming in and we'll leave the light on for you. :-)

j

Thanks Teamubr! We'll be there on the 10th of September. I'm looking forward to some kicking back at the Fort. Buying a brand new bike just for the occasion.

We'll be there on the 10th of September. I'm looking forward to some kicking back at the Fort. Buying a brand new bike just for the occasion.
We will be in the following Sunday. If you're still there, we'll keep an eye out.

j

We're coming home from Sept. 19th until Sept. 28th mostly with DS and family with one grandson who is new to WDW. Looking forward to another great time and watching our 2 grandsons react to all there is to see!

Great job. Did you cit Mickey on a scroll saw? Fantastic job if you did.

Is that an up close pic or do you have big key rings?

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter