The Running Thread—2023

I was able to run today, albeit slowly. It was my easy day so it worked fine. However it will be my easy next two weeks according to my PT. She said I can run, since i did it today, but said to keep it all easy. I have a high hamstring strain, which she said follows with me trying hard not to fall after i tripped. I took quite a few steps trying to hold on to it before i finally hit pavement. That was good from the arms perspective nothing broken (yep i fall and break things), but not god for that hamstring. I have three exercises to do which will help get me back to normal again. Probably quicker than if i was not seeing PT. I will see her again in two weeks as a check up. After that am heading out on vacation so it will be more slow running. I do love slow running on vacation. I like to take in the sights. Plus it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cooler in Iceland than in Atlanta.

@Mr_Incr3dible yes Whisky is my dog. i love the name the pun is great.

I know i am partial but she is adorable.
View attachment 783738
She is indeed! Take her with you to Iceland and you can have Whiskey on the rocks.

(I'll see myself out...)

I've been to Disney a bunch but never when I've been actively running. It's always been during the periods where I was sedentary.

I'm going at the end of the month. I'm wondering if running early in the am and then heading to the parks for most of the day would be "too much." Do you find yourself more sore than usual? Do you pull back and run slower/less distance? Or less frequent? Just trying to get a sense of what it's like before I pack my sneakers/extra clothes/etc.
As with others who have responded, the only time I've been to DW in recent years has been in conjunction with races, so there has *always* been some level of running before going into the parks. My 2-cents:
1. My feet and legs have always been spent at the end of a day walking and standing in lines in the parks even without running beforehand.
2. Based on that, I'd make a fairly easy run (keeping in mind that when I'm there, I'll be in the park(s) from rope drop to fireworks)
3. I did the Princess half and then joined the wife for a day at Epcot. We didn't stay for fireworks and by the time we got back to the room, my watch and my legs both said that I had done another half with all the walking around.

YMMV

I've never run on a treadmill at Boardwalk, but the cooled towels at the gym on Disney Cruise Line are one of my favorite parts of cruising! I tell my wife she needs to go do a workout just to get the joy of using those after working up a good sweat on the treadmill. (the cooled towels have never been a big enough incentive to get her to the gym on vacation)

I may or may not have popped into the gym on the way back from a park and grabbed one of those towels without actually working out. (Of course, your MB only works on the gym door if you're staying there.)

Re: running with lights

I did my first run today in years with headlamp, since I was out well before nautical dawn. Visibility was fine, but when running along a nature preserve in town it did nothing for the thoughts worrying about moose, danger kitties, and “oh we are near Skinwalker Ranch, don’t whistle! not that you believe in it, but still, I’m spooking the eff out of myself!”

I have the noxgear tracer that came out right before the "2" and I wonder if the light would still attach to the buckle on it?

As I understand it, the Tracer 2 is the new, rechargeable model. The original is the Tracer360, which is what I have (and think you probably do, as well). It looks like both use the same buckle assembly and Tracer says on the product page that the light is compatible with both models. I sure hope so, since I ordered one for myself today!
Just wanted to report back that the light works perfectly well with the earlier model Tracer360. The light comes pre-mounted on a spool piece of front buckle with male and female ends. It just snaps right in between the two buckle halves. I'll be interested to see if that shifts the position of the glow tubes on my shoulders, but that's an evaluation for another time.

Just wanted to report back that the light works perfectly well with the earlier model Tracer360. The light comes pre-mounted on a spool piece of front buckle with male and female ends. It just snaps right in between the two buckle halves. I'll be interested to see if that shifts the position of the glow tubes on my shoulders, but that's an evaluation for another time.
I did have to adjust the EL wire straps some, but not a ton. It's only like 2-3" of give in the chest

Re: running with lights

I did my first run today in years with headlamp, since I was out well before nautical dawn. Visibility was fine, but when running along a nature preserve in town it did nothing for the thoughts worrying about moose, danger kitties, and “oh we are near Skinwalker Ranch, don’t whistle! not that you believe in it, but still, I’m spooking the eff out of myself!”
Danger kitties 😂

I'm tired and pumped at the same time! (had to fix a typo, I almost typed "pimped"...).
I managed a 4 mile run today with minimal pain and averaging just over 11 min/mile. I have a PT session in the morning, and I think it'll be the last one unless some sort of relapse.
I'm still building back up my legs and lungs, but this is encouraging.
Thank you for listening.

We took the box on the first day of Spring Time Surprise and then not the other two because there was nothing of interest to us.
I always just pack my own food in my gear bag. This also means I’m juggling less stuff in the finish chute—if Disney really wanted to give us some useful bonus swag, they could offer a mini tote bag before they start handing us water and towels and medals and food

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter