The Running Thread—2023

No photos, but you can find them at craft stores like Michaels, or online via Amazon!

I never thought of some place like Michaels. Last question - any idea what size bag for one scoop of Tailwind (I usually use the single serving so I have no idea what a scoop looks like)? The options I'm seeing are 2x3 or 3x4.

I'm way more excited than I should be about this...

Once again, I'm very late with my monthly recap.

July Running
Miles: 88.43
Total Time: 15:18:17
Avg HR: 147
Avg Pace: 10:24

July Walking
Walks: 7
Miles: 7.29
Time: 2:37:50

July Strength Training
Sessions: 3
Time: 1:16:54

Fell off strength training for 3 weeks, oops! Highest run total (by 2 miles haha) since December 2022.

Feeling pretty decent but need to figure out a real plan for a November half - probably not racing it but haven't done a double-digit run since May.

I feel like @The Expert did this for a costume change this past MW? So seems like it should be fine

I did hand off some items to DH during the full last year, yes. It was not a big deal at all. We were staying at Bay Lake, and he came out to the road in front of the Contemporary. He was in the spectator area right near the traffic light, and I did have to jump off course and stop for a bit to do the exchange, but nobody official said a word.

I did hand off some items to DH during the full last year, yes. It was not a big deal at all. We were staying at Bay Lake, and he came out to the road in front of the Contemporary. He was in the spectator area right near the traffic light, and I did have to jump off course and stop for a bit to do the exchange, but nobody official said a word.
This is good to know, because if I eventually do the marathon I'm gonna need my husband to hand me peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. :D

I never thought of some place like Michaels. Last question - any idea what size bag for one scoop of Tailwind (I usually use the single serving so I have no idea what a scoop looks like)? The options I'm seeing are 2x3 or 3x4.

I'm way more excited than I should be about this...
I’m not near them now, or I’d actually measure… but I’m looking at a ruler and I feel like mine are 2x3. Definitely not as big as 3x4. Pro-tip: you’ll also want a very small funnel to make the process easier! I just keep my little plastic funnel in the big TW bag with the scoop - it also makes it easier to get a scoop of TW into a bottle opening.

I’m not near them now, or I’d actually measure… but I’m looking at a ruler and I feel like mine are 2x3. Definitely not as big as 3x4. Pro-tip: you’ll also want a very small funnel to make the process easier! I just keep my little plastic funnel in the big TW bag with the scoop - it also makes it easier to get a scoop of TW into a bottle opening.

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely find one of those too. I've always had trouble making Tailwind in a regular water bottle without getting it every where. I bet the funnel would solve that problem as well.

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely find one of those too. I've always had trouble making Tailwind in a regular water bottle without getting it every where. I bet the funnel would solve that problem as well.
Same! We can thank my son for noticing and pointing out what was not at all obvious to me: “Mom, if you use a funnel, you wouldn’t get that stuff all over the counter.” Out of the mouths of babes. :rolleyes: :rotfl:

I was able to run today, albeit slowly. It was my easy day so it worked fine. However it will be my easy next two weeks according to my PT. She said I can run, since i did it today, but said to keep it all easy. I have a high hamstring strain, which she said follows with me trying hard not to fall after i tripped. I took quite a few steps trying to hold on to it before i finally hit pavement. That was good from the arms perspective nothing broken (yep i fall and break things), but not god for that hamstring. I have three exercises to do which will help get me back to normal again. Probably quicker than if i was not seeing PT. I will see her again in two weeks as a check up. After that am heading out on vacation so it will be more slow running. I do love slow running on vacation. I like to take in the sights. Plus it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cooler in Iceland than in Atlanta.

@Mr_Incr3dible yes Whisky is my dog. i love the name the pun is great.

I know i am partial but she is adorable.
whisky camping.jpg

I've been to Disney a bunch but never when I've been actively running. It's always been during the periods where I was sedentary.

I'm going at the end of the month. I'm wondering if running early in the am and then heading to the parks for most of the day would be "too much." Do you find yourself more sore than usual? Do you pull back and run slower/less distance? Or less frequent? Just trying to get a sense of what it's like before I pack my sneakers/extra clothes/etc.

I've been to Disney a bunch but never when I've been actively running. It's always been during the periods where I was sedentary.

I'm going at the end of the month. I'm wondering if running early in the am and then heading to the parks for most of the day would be "too much." Do you find yourself more sore than usual? Do you pull back and run slower/less distance? Or less frequent? Just trying to get a sense of what it's like before I pack my sneakers/extra clothes/etc.
I haven’t been to Disney for a non-running trip since I started running 😂 so I’m not much help. My feet are always tired by the end of the trip, regardless of whether I was there for races or not, but I haven’t found the rest of me to be more sore if I’ve been running and then going to the parks.

Depending on the weather conditions you’ve been running in recently, running in FL in August, even in the early mornings, might be a pretty big shock, so be aware of that and be safe

I haven’t been to Disney for a non-running trip since I started running 😂 so I’m not much help. My feet are always tired by the end of the trip, regardless of whether I was there for races or not, but I haven’t found the rest of me to be more sore if I’ve been running and then going to the parks.

Depending on the weather conditions you’ve been running in recently, running in FL in August, even in the early mornings, might be a pretty big shock, so be aware of that and be safe
Thanks. I'm in NYC. There are definitely some days/nights here recently that have been... rough. But I was thinking instead of doing what I usually do, just do like half? Or maybe go a little slower. Just to get something in. I'll also probably be up at like 530/6am,so I was thinking that's when I'd be going.

I have a high hamstring strain, which she said follows with me trying hard not to fall after i tripped.
I did exactly this when I tripped and almost fell... I think it was three times in the same long trail run before my trail marathon in April Each time the darn hamstring hurt a bit worse - almost wish I could have let the falls happen, but it's instinct, of course. I self-diagnosed with high hamstring tendinopathy (but maybe it was a strain?). The good news is that running easy on it was fine as long as I was extra-careful about not tripping. It healed itself up in a few weeks.

Caveat: I'm not injury-prone, in terms of chronic injuries. Tripping-prone, yes. :)

I keep my running schedule when at Disney and have no problems hanging at the parks all day after. Business as usual, except for the enormous breakfast I always manage to justify!

Thanks. I'm in NYC. There are definitely some days/nights here recently that have been... rough. But I was thinking instead of doing what I usually do, just do like half? Or maybe go a little slower. Just to get something in. I'll also probably be up at like 530/6am,so I was thinking that's when I'd be going.
Just remember to hydrate extra well—that early morning humidity is brutal

'm going at the end of the month. I'm wondering if running early in the am and then heading to the parks for most of the day would be "too much."

I've done training runs at Disney and can advocate for the gym treadmills at AKV Kidani and Boardwalk if you don't want to deal with weather. I particularly enjoyed the cooled towels available at Boardwalk!

I've done training runs at Disney and can advocate for the gym treadmills at AKV Kidani and Boardwalk if you don't want to deal with weather. I particularly enjoyed the cooled towels available at Boardwalk!
I've never run on a treadmill at Boardwalk, but the cooled towels at the gym on Disney Cruise Line are one of my favorite parts of cruising! I tell my wife she needs to go do a workout just to get the joy of using those after working up a good sweat on the treadmill. (the cooled towels have never been a big enough incentive to get her to the gym on vacation)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter