*The "Real" Deal Re: Being Swept in the Half...

I have only encouraging words for you. I did 2 half-marathons in the past 8 months, and I never did anything like that before then.

At 40 years old, I had been running only about 2 years, intermittently, only about 2.5 miles at a time, tops, and I would go months with no running at all.

Then my wife an I were silly enough to register for our first-ever half-marathon, which we did in April.

We ran and walked, more walking that running. But even for the walking we aimed at a 15:00 minute per mile pace. We entered a very walker-friendly race. The full-marathon was 2 loops around the course, so there was absolutely no sweeping of half-marathoners. We finished at a 15:44 pace.

We then entered another half-marathon that we completed last month. This one was harder because I had gained about 20 pounds since the first one (and I was nice and overweight to begin with!) -- it seems that even though I had stopped training after the first race, I kept up with the appetite and the increased eating to fuel the training.

In addition, I had some sort of mystery abdominal ailment about halfway through my training which sidelined me for at least 3 weeks! Ugh! Anyway, this second race, the Philadelphia half-marathon, seemed to have very strict sweep times and road re-opening times. I must have driven this one race official nuts with numerous e-mails asking him detailed questions. The FAQ stated that roads will re-open on a 16:00 pace by gun-time, and I was doing a VERY slow 16:45 in training, even though I felt I was going as fast as I could.

Anyway, we finished the race at a 16:23 pace (chip-time), slower than the 16:00 pace the FAQ and my e-mail buddy told me was the maximum. All the city streets were still closed, all the water stops were still open, etc.

Don't discount that race day adrenaline that everyone talks about ... it's for real! I live at the beach and train 100% exclusively on boardwalk, which is great for training because it's flat and straight and the wood is much friendlier to joints than blacktop or concrete. The race was on city streets (blacktop) and was quite hilly in several spots, making it much slower-going. On top of that, it was 38 degrees for the race and it rained from Mile 6 'til the finish. And I finished 22 seconds per mile FASTER than my training pace.

GO FOR IT!

Thanks for sharing your experience Eric. I'm over 40 and so overweight I dont recognize myself. I've had a few challenges along the way, but I'm still getting up and trying my best. I burst into tears just thinking about being swept!! I'm counting on Disney adreneline - it works for me at rope drops!!

so far my pace for 8 miles has been 15min - its those last miles or an injury, or they'll close the gates too early (someone posted that happened one year, they went by start time, not chip time to sweep those doors closed!!)

I'm much more comfortable with 20 min miles!! :rotfl2:

The new ten day outlook looks like it will be a cool start!! :woohoo: (I know the reports of last year was high heat and humidity - and the Chicago Marathon this past year was nightmare heat and humidity!!)

Thanks for sharing your experience Eric. I'm over 40 and so overweight I dont recognize myself. I've had a few challenges along the way, but I'm still getting up and trying my best. I burst into tears just thinking about being swept!! I'm counting on Disney adreneline - it works for me at rope drops!!

so far my pace for 8 miles has been 15min - its those last miles or an injury, or they'll close the gates too early (someone posted that happened one year, they went by start time, not chip time to sweep those doors closed!!)

I'm much more comfortable with 20 min miles!! :rotfl2:

The new ten day outlook looks like it will be a cool start!! :woohoo: (I know the reports of last year was high heat and humidity - and the Chicago Marathon this past year was nightmare heat and humidity!!)

As I posted earlier and as you DH says at this point in time it’s a mental game. You have made 8 miles in 2 hours, or looking at the map you are at the Hess Station across from the Race Track at that point. Look at the distance you have gone. You are only 2 miles from the last published cut off point at that time. Not all that far. At a pace of 15 minute miles you should make the 10 mile mark at 2:30 chip time. Cutoff time for that point is 2:40; you still have 10 minutes to spare. If you can suck it up at get to mile 10 in 2:30 (15 minute miles) you will have 42 minutes to mile 12 or the cast member entrance to Epcot. All you need from mile 10-12 would be 21 minute miles. Cool Huh?

Let’s say you can’t make it at 15 minute miles from 8 on… You would need to maintain an 18 minute pace from mile 8 through the entrance at mile 12 to ensure the gate remains open. That sounds doable, right?

The reason I focus on mile 10 is two fold. It is the last published sweep point in the half; though you cannot let your guard down and crawl from there as it would be very easy to close the course at mile 12. However making mile 10 should be doable for almost anyone you have gone through the first 7-8 miles at a pace less than 15. The other reason I focus folks who worry about the half cut off on getting to mile 10 is that the course is flat from MK through Mile 10. At mile 10 we start a hill as we exit to Epcot Drive. It’s not a bad hill but it may slow you a bit. The hill is for the over pass that you go under right after mile 10. This hill repeats itself once about a half mile later and a last hill comes at you at mile 11.5. Again these hills are not real bad but if you are struggling with pace, you should attempt to bank as much buffer on the flat as you can.

Suggestions…

Work your way up in the C wave start as best you can. (I know it’s not as polite as we all should be (Sorry C Wave folks) but you are looking for a little buffer). As you cross the line, start the timer on your watch and move over to the right hand side of the pavement to allow anyone who may be faster to pass. The course will be crowded in the first mile so you may not feel like you are moving all that fast.
Create a pace chart (band)

http://www.clifbar.com/play/marathon_paceband.cfm?location=paceband

Plug in 6:59 since it’s a marathon pace band. Laminate the band and bring it with you on race day. It’s a good tool to have along to keep you focused on your task.

If you are at your 15 minute pace do not stop in MK for anything, your mission is to get through the park ASAP.

Do drink and eat at the stops.

I hope this helps. You are not as bad off as it looks, though you need to stay on task on race day. Adrenaline will help in the first mile or so as well as through MK and Epcot. Note that there may be a slight let down the first mile after MK. Just breathe deep and keep on task.

Charles, that's a great help - thank you for taking the time to post all of that - I intend to run tomorrow for at least 2 hours (and in temps in the 30's roflol - its so not me!!)

you have given me a mental edge, and I appreciate it!!

I think I CAN do this...

no, I KNOW I WILL DO IT!! :woohoo:

I know they say you have to maintain a 15 minute mile for the 5K. Is that 15 minutes to the 1 MILE marker after the last person crossed the start line.

So say that DD and I cross the start a minute before the last person, do we really have 16 minutes to get to mile 1 before being swept.

I'm sorry, but I am a newbie to all of this, and am trying to see if we are ok with our training. I'm not thinking so, and we only have 13 days to correct it! :scared1:

First I must preface this with letting you know that I have not been around the 5K for about 4 years.

The 5k is a fun run so I am a little surprised that they are giving a 15 minute pace. Stating that here is how it works.

The sweep clock will start as the last entrant crosses the line. A 15 minute pace will be calculated based on that time. So the race starts at 7. Assume the last runner crosses the start at 7:07. a strict enforcement of the 15 minute pace means that you would need to cross the first mile mark by 7:22; Mile 2 by 7:37 and so on.

Looking at the course it’s hard to see how a pace could be easily enforced. For the most part the course is an out and back course. I would say that once you hit mile 1 you are ok.

Here’s a map that is based on a race earlier in 2007.

http://www.mapmytri.com/run/united-states/fl/lbv/629920627

Hope this helps. You should do OK.

Thanks. We did a 13 minute mile back in October. So I think we will do well once we are with everyone else. Plus it is called a FAMILY fun run. I would take that to mean that there will be other children besides my DD running.

We just don't need to be the last ones crossing the START. ;)

Here is the map that they have on the WWoS website.

http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/dwws_v0220/en_US/pdf/FamilyFunRun5KMapWeb.jpg

I think it's the same with possibly a few small changes.... Mine just gives you an aerial view of the course.

I can't tell you all how much I have appreciated the replies to my original post! I have taken strength from the various replies, ideas, and statements of support! :love:

I am looking forward to the race - maybe that is overstating things a bit, but I am not as fearful! I will be glad when 10:00 on Saturday morning arrives - hopefully having completed the race without being swept!!

Good luck to everyone!!!!!! :thumbsup2

I can't tell you all how much I have appreciated the replies to my original post! I have taken strength from the various replies, ideas, and statements of support! :love:

I am looking forward to the race - maybe that is overstating things a bit, but I am not as fearful! I will be glad when 10:00 on Saturday morning arrives - hopefully having completed the race without being swept!!

Good luck to everyone!!!!!! :thumbsup2

and then begin our LOTW trip around noon right!! :thumbsup2

I agree with you!! Look out world HERE we COME!! :banana:

(and if I have to be swept - I'll still be in DISNEYWORLD!! :lovestruc but seriously, after all the replies here, I am much more confident!! Thanks for starting the thread!)

My husband and I walked the entire 1/2 last year in 3:14 or about 15 min miles so I'm quite sure you won't be swept if you run at least most of it. I didn't find it too hot but kind of muggy. The marathon finish was downright hot last year.

We're doing it again this year but running it (husband did goofy last year and will again this year). Before this training I had never ran more than 2 miles. I am not overweight at all but just not very athletic (along with flat feet!). My concern will definitely be the heat and the fact that I solely train on a treadmill -- so we'll see. I hate to sweat (maybe I shouldn't run then) so I need to seek out sweat bands this weekend!

what time should I start my pace band at? I am in Coral C

thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter