*The "Real" Deal Re: Being Swept in the Half...

DisneyaHolic23

DIS Veteran
I am running the Half for the first time, and I am dying nervous. I have been training, but it has been miserable. Seriously - I am embarrassed, but I can't get my head out of this negative, scared place! :scared1:

So, I am worried about being swept. I have been running about a 12-13 minute mile, completed the 8 mile run but DIED in the 10-mile run! I ran for only about 3 miles before my head talked me into running. When I finished the ten miles last week, I was at a 15 minute mile, and limping! I don't know if I can do the last three in just 17 minute miles! :eek:

The real question is, at what points do they sweep? I heard if I made it to 10 miles, I was set. True? Also, how much time do they give for all the corrals to make it to the start, and to account for the slow start speed?

I would appreciate ANY advice, encouragement, and ideas!!! :idea: Thanks so much - you all all so great! I have really felt better, reading many of the other posts and advice!

I am running the Half for the first time, and I am dying nervous. I have been training, but it has been miserable. Seriously - I am embarrassed, but I can't get my head out of this negative, scared place! :scared1:

So, I am worried about being swept. I have been running about a 12-13 minute mile, completed the 8 mile run but DIED in the 10-mile run! I ran for only about 3 miles before my head talked me into running. When I finished the ten miles last week, I was at a 15 minute mile, and limping! I don't know if I can do the last three in just 17 minute miles! :eek:

The real question is, at what points do they sweep? I heard if I made it to 10 miles, I was set. True? Also, how much time do they give for all the corrals to make it to the start, and to account for the slow start speed?

I would appreciate ANY advice, encouragement, and ideas!!! :idea: Thanks so much - you all all so great! I have really felt better, reading many of the other posts and advice!

Smile - Relax

First of all, stop worrying and keep moving. Take a deep breath every few moments and allow your upper body to relax. Think happy thoughts as you run. Watch your time in the first 4 miles but do not obsess about the time. If you are not feeling 85% or better or your time is pushing upwards keep trucking through the Magic Kingdom. Don’t worry about photos, etc as you will need to keep to the task at hand.

Once out of the MK you will need to redouble the effort and relaxation. Again deep breaths and loose upper body. It is going to feel a little depressing after the excitement of the kingdom but you need to just go through the next couple miles. Wave at the soldiers in front of the Shades of Green as you pass.

As far as being swept, you are subject to being swept at any time you are behind a 16 minute pace (based on the last runner crossing the start). Hard points are the MK parking, the entrance to MK and mile 10. I would also expect that if you made mile 10 but blew up before mile 12 (the entrance to Epcot) you may be directed to the finish from there.

OK let’s do the math here. You ran 10 miles at a 15 minute pace, correct. That gives you a full hour to make 3.1 miles! Yes right at a 20 minute pace. Really even slower because once in Epcot you are home free.

Try this on your next run. Go out just a little slower. Say averaging 13-13:30. This may seem counter intuitive but you will not be working your cardio system quite as hard and reserving the glycogen stores just a bit. True it kills you safety margin a bit if you need to walk but it also pushes that point where you need to walk further out.

On race day it will be very tempting to go out fast. In fact you may not realize how fast the first mile is until it’s over. Think slow and easy that first mile so that you set the subconscious system up for a more manageable pace. If you hit the first mile hard the body will want to continue that effort during the race. So it’s slow and easy in the first mile with a relaxed upper body and remembering to take a few deep breaths every quarter mile or so. Smile, wave, relax….Smile , relax…. Smile relax

What Charles said...

and let me add...that you will also have race day adrenaline to push you at mile 10. You will not believe what a difference there is at the actual race compares to training. You are going to do GREAT!

Cecilia

If you do go a bit slower you will still be faster than me! If I can do it you certainly will be fine. Have fun, take it easy and enjoy the view. Keep your eye on that pace, but with your time, you should have no trouble. Follow the instructions from Charles.

Bless you for your post!!

I feel the very same way - I burst into tears at times just thinking about it - but I have not completed a long run at all - I've had some major adversity - but overcame that - I hope... my dh is doing a marathon, and he tells me all the time that this is a mental game, and you have to work thru that... usually I hit him with the "swept" fear, but burst into tears... I keep picturing the MK and the doors closing just as I get there - talk about negativity - but its my biggest fear!!

and I can do 20 min miles no problem - but that will get me swept - I did 15 min miles for a 5K - but so far 5K is my long run - so I know i have the right to hang on to this fear!! I have 3 weeks, the weather here is snow, ice, and fog - I'm doing what I can - and I am working out in the morning, and trying to run every afternoon - even if I have to go to a gym and do a treadmill run!!

I hope that I can hang on - use the "rubber band" mind method and WISH'ers to get me to my dream goal - the finish line - because THIS is just a beginning for me!!

I can. I will... I do believe!! :wizard:
(but I'm still scared!!)

What an uplifting post, even though it IS about doubt and fear! :rotfl:

This will be my first half marathon and I've been sort of worried myself. I got sick two weeks ago, pushed through that week, then decided to take all of last week off. I've had some minor knee issues in the past couple of weeks that I hope have past their expiration date!

Anyhow, I have my 12 mile run this Saturday and I'm praying I'll make it! Thanks to this post, I have more confidence than before! I made it through my 8 and two ten mile runs with flying colors... but that was before my kne started to grind a bit.

Anyhow, wish me luck on Saturday! I'll be running along the lakefront in a cold and WINDY Chicago! :eek:

Good luck to you, DisneyaHolic! :goodvibes

You go ALI!!

I'm in a suburb of Chicago - and ran a Fleet Feet 5K on the lakefront in July I believe - it was HOT - i think Sat calls for rain, so get out there and GO!!

You'll do AWESOME!!

You go ALI!!

I'm in a suburb of Chicago - and ran a Fleet Feet 5K on the lakefront in July I believe - it was HOT - i think Sat calls for rain, so get out there and GO!!

You'll do AWESOME!!

Thanks, Sandy! I live in a far northwest suburb (Algonquin) but this is our "All Team" final run with Team in Training, so I'm going to brave the lakefront wind just this once before we all head down to Disney!

If it rains it wont be my first run in it! I did my 10 mile run three Saturdays ago at Bussee woods during the rain and sleet. I knew I did it for a reason!

Good luck to you, too!

:wave: neighbor! I'm in Vernon Hills - my son just bought a condo in Wauconda!

have fun, I think this has been a good week for running outside, but its about to get snarky!!

Ali - How was your run? You inspired me today - I figure if you can do 12 on the lakefront (and I'm guessing it was really windy!!) I can do 6 miles in 2 hours!!! (I havent done a long run, I havent been able to run 2 hours straight - the mental game is draining me!)

I did 7.71 miles in 2 hours and 10 min!! :wizard: OUTSIDE - in the fog, through or around the neighborhood !

Also, don't panic if you get to mile 11 and have a real 'this is hideous' moment, this will be my 20th half and I think there's only been two of them when I haven't got to 18km and thought 'I can't go on', however by 19km that feeling passes and the next 2 fly by - just push through any moments of doubt, and just keep moving no matter how slowly. Good luck, you'll be fine.

Ali - How was your run? You inspired me today - I figure if you can do 12 on the lakefront (and I'm guessing it was really windy!!) I can do 6 miles in 2 hours!!! (I havent done a long run, I havent been able to run 2 hours straight - the mental game is draining me!)

I did 7.71 miles in 2 hours and 10 min!! :wizard: OUTSIDE - in the fog, through or around the neighborhood !

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! :cool1:

I MADE IT THROUGH THE 12 MILES.... and I did it with almost no struggle! I was really worried about my back, which I tweaked out of whack yesterday afternoon... but all was well! Even with my knee that had been acting up! :banana:

The part that surprised me most was that I did it in 2 hours and 35 minutes! And I made five stops along the way! (One for a bathroom and four to stretch).....

The worst part was an hour after my run onmy way home I thought I was going to throw up and then faint. Note to self...must eat more immediately following my run! :eek:

Lookout Disney! I'm hauling my fat a** across that half marathon course and ain't nothin' gonna stop me! :rotfl:

12 miles - 2 hours WOOHOO YOU ARE THERE GIRL!! WOOHOO!!! :cool1:

Can you imagine!! and now you have the tools to succeed in Disney (eat... rest - enjoy!! You are so blowing me out of the water!! WTG!! :woohoo: )

I ran the fleet feet woman's only 5K on the lakefront last July (or was it June?) that can be some serious weather!! I did 15min miles - so that is my goal for the half!!

and if at the end I throw up and faint - no worries if IFF I've finished!! :wizard:

FDIL (future daughter in law) ran a Chicago half in Sept I think - she passed on her tips - get there early!! ( she got on the el at 4:30, but with problems on the el, and traffic tie ups, she ended up running 2 miles to get to the start at 7:30!!) So I'm up and in line for a 3am bus at Disney!!

It is weird, but I do feel better reading all the encouragement!

I followed Charles's suggestions, and did my 8 mile run this week, and it went much better than my 10 mile did. I ran the entire 8 miles, and averaged 13 minute miles! I did feel REALLY ready to quit, and the last two miles were really hard, but I THINK I can run 8, and then alternate walk/run for the last five.... If I can get through 8 in 13.30 miles, then I have about 19 minutes a mile for the last five...

How does one work their way to the front of the corral? Doesn't everyone have the same strategy? I assume I will be in the last corral, since I had no previous times, right?

Thank you all for EVERY SINGLE RESPONSE!!

I'll be in that last corral - and based on my one and only race day experience - I'm not going to push my way to the front - the nerves will carry me faster for the first mile than I'll be ready for, and I'll be trying to slow to find my pace - and not get a panick attack!! (I ran a 5k - and I'm pretty much a 15min miler - so I do panic!)

I'm just hoping the sweep team will go by chip time and not start time of the race!! (I read one year they closed the gates to the MK too soon!)

So Disneyaholic - you have a winning strategy - I'm thinking that the WISH'ers will be a stand out (Lime green/ flourescent yellow WISH shirts!!) are you going to make it to Pop for the meet Friday night?

I ran my first and only half last January. My father died of cancer in November so I walking on the treadmill about a month before her died and then the rest of Nov. and Dec. It was very hard to find time to train between the grief and all there is to do (work, keep a house, Chrsitmas shop etc.)

Anyway, I ran/ walked the 1/2 last year stoppping at every potty (I'm a girl, had reasons ;) ) and only stopping for 2 photos.
My DH does the Goofy and he ran/walked the half with me. he had a lousy *time* but my time was good! LOL He was so sweet to stay right with me for 13.1 miles!

I had not trouble last year. Honestly, I worried myself sick about getting swept and not being able to finish. My longest run/walk last year was 8 miles. I never went further than that while training. DH kept saying, "If you can do 8 you can do 9. If you can do 9, you can do 10. If you can do 10 you can do 11..." It worked for me. :)

Try not to worry about time too much. Slow and steady finishes the race.

This year, I'm doing the 5K. I am nervous but relieved that the pressure I felt last year at this time is not on me.

Good luck and enjoy the 1/2 marathon. It is an amazing experience!

Brenda thanks for adding your experience! Dh was going to "walk" with me in the half, but pressures of real life have prevented him from his training - he's relieved he didnt sign up for the Goofy!! :rotfl2: I'm trying to do the 3 mile Walk Away the Pounds dvd every day - and then gettting "outside' (no treadmills here!) at least 3 - 4 times a week, with one day being an 8 miler!! So far I've done that once!! :rotfl2:

It feels pathetic! I think the excitement of Disney will carry me through - when we were in the world last Sept dh lol and said I'd do fine in the half!!

12 miles - 2 hours WOOHOO YOU ARE THERE GIRL!! WOOHOO!!! :cool1:

Can you imagine!! and now you have the tools to succeed in Disney (eat... rest - enjoy!! You are so blowing me out of the water!! WTG!! :woohoo: )

I ran the fleet feet woman's only 5K on the lakefront last July (or was it June?) that can be some serious weather!! I did 15min miles - so that is my goal for the half!!

and if at the end I throw up and faint - no worries if IFF I've finished!! :wizard:

FDIL (future daughter in law) ran a Chicago half in Sept I think - she passed on her tips - get there early!! ( she got on the el at 4:30, but with problems on the el, and traffic tie ups, she ended up running 2 miles to get to the start at 7:30!!) So I'm up and in line for a 3am bus at Disney!!

Thanks! I WISH I finished my 12 miles in two hours... but it was actually two and a half hours... STILL beats my goal time.. so I am HAPPY!

I am so curious now to see how the energy and adrenaline boost that I will get from running at Disney will improve my time! Undoubtedly, the thrill will make us all faster than we are during our sometimes depressing and lonely training runs!

Ali - arent you familiar with Disney math??? lol 2 h ours, 2 1/2 close enough - and definately worthy of a great time in the Disney Half - I dont think you will be close to being swept!! So do plan on taking the advice here and enjoying the race, get those pictures along the route!!

If I can maintain a 15min mile - I know I will, but if I lag behind that time, I'll be too nervous... I'm hoping the WISH team will help keep me on a pace ahead of the sweepers!!

I skipped running Sunday - it was brutal out there!!

but I did get out there on Monday - BRRRRRRRRrrrrrr - I wimped out at mile 1.5 and headed home the shortcut way - I couldnt take the wind chill!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter