*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

Do hats help? Ive never brought/worn one but thinking I should this trip, which is our first summer trip to FL.

We bought the Frogg Toggs cooling hat for Disney. I only bought one because I wasn't sure how they'd work. My kid was at summer day camp and complained about the heat the first day. The second day, I sent her with the cooling hat and towel. It was even hotter the second day. She came back and said she didn't even need the towel because the hat kept her so cool!

I immediately went online and ordered two more hats in blue for my other child and me (my husband won't wear hats). After two weeks, Amazon cancelled the order and said they didn't have any more!

I ordered two hats directly from Frogg Toggs. A few days later, they cancelled it and emailed me to say the hats were discontinued, and they were sorry to say they had no more in stock.

So, I went back to Amazon and ordered from a 3rd party seller who claimed to have them in stock. This was just last week. I only ordered one because they were more expensive, and I had to pay extra shipping to make sure it would get here in time.

Update: I looked on Amazon, and they have 5 pink ones left. Blue is only available through 3rd party sellers. I just ordered a pink one with prime shipping. Fingers crossed they don't cancel it!

We bought the Froggs Toggs cooling hat for Disney. I only bought one because I wasn't sure how they'd work. My kid was at summer day camp and complained about the heat the first day. The second day, I sent her with the cooling hat and towel. It was even hotter the second day. She came back and said she didn't even need the towel because the hat kept her so cool!

I immediately went online and ordered two more hats for my other child and me (my husband won't wear hats). After two weeks, Amazon cancelled the order and said they didn't have any more!

I ordered two hats directly from Froggs Toggs. A few days later, they cancelled it and emailed me to say the hats were discontinued, and they were sorry to say they had no more in stock.

So, I went back to Amazon and ordered from a 3rd party seller who claimed to have them in stock. This was just last week. I had to pay extra shipping to make sure they'd get here in time. Fingers crossed for us, as it looks like the hats are in transit!

When I started reading this I was thinking I had never seen the hats! Now I know why!

I did get a bunch of the Frogg Togg mini towels for our trip. I havent opened them yet. I hope A) They work and B) they are big enough. The package is so compact, but the reg sized towels looked so big.

When I started reading this I was thinking I had never seen the hats! Now I know why!

I did get a bunch of the Frogg Togg mini towels for our trip. I havent opened them yet. I hope A) They work and B) they are big enough. The package is so compact, but the reg sized towels looked so big.

I recommend opening them and washing them with detergent. They don't smell very good coming straight out of the package. Fold them up and allow them to air dry (they will be very stiff once dry, so you want them compact for storage and packing), then when you arrive at Disney you can wet them and store them in zip-loc type baggies (we like to label our baggies so we each person can keep reusing their own). Just rinse them well a couple times a day and they should stay fresh for your whole trip. When you get back home, wash them and air dry them again for long-term storage.

I recommend opening them and washing them with detergent. They don't smell very good coming straight out of the package. Fold them up and allow them to air dry (they will be very stiff once dry, so you want them compact for storage and packing), then when you arrive at Disney you can wet them and store them in zip-loc type baggies (we like to label our baggies so we each person can keep reusing their own). Just rinse them well a couple times a day and they should stay fresh for your whole trip. When you get back home, wash them and air dry them again for long-term storage.

Thanks. Ill wash a few before we leave and do the rest when we get to Disney. I bought 12, for 3 of us. They were only $1.99 and I figured we could throw them away if it was too inconvenient to carry/ didnt last. The packages are perfect for packing.

We have cooling towels now, but before we invested, we also used damp hotel wash cloths that we put in the freezer compartment of our mini fridge and then brought in with us in ziplock bags. These worked well too in case anyone forgets theirs or needs a free option! :thumbsup2

Just hit the 2 week mark! Youngest DD comes home from camp tomorrow, we celebrate her birthday next week, then Disney on Aug 9th!! We also have my other daughter's bridal shower on Sunday. Being so busy will make these last 2 weeks fly by I'm sure!

Yup, being busy is making the time just fly by. Seems like just the other day we were 3 weeks away from our trip, now it is 10 days.

Oh my word. I can't believe I've come full circle! Way back near the beginning of this thread I thought we were bringing the whole family down for an August trip and then that got moved to May. Well, here we are again! The AP previews of SWGE opened up and Dh and I snagged reservations for August 18 9am -1pm. Guess that means we're going to Disney World!

We have reservations at Pop Century for 8/17-8/19, so just a quick trip. Although, I think a quick dip in the sauna that is southern Florida in August will be about all I can handle. :scared: We'll have our cooling towels and hats along for sure. This is our first trip to wdw with just the two of us! I'm so excited to do whatever WE want to do without having to consider everyone else in the group. :cool1:

We arrive at 2:25 at the airport that Saturday. I'm planning to hit Animal Kingdom that night, then DHS the next morning for our Galaxy's Edge experience and whatever else we do there that day, we'll hit MK that evening, and then Epcot on Monday morning before getting picked up by the Tragical Express around 2:00. I've never done a trip to Disney that was less than 1 1/2 weeks, so this will be a very new experience!

You've been added to the Roll Call. I hope you have a wonderful "just the two of us" trip!!!

Oh my goodness!!! That is a lot of things to happen on that trip!!!! Hopefully you got all of those negatives done with that trip and every trip after that will go smoothly! We are really excited about the AP preview and can't wait to really feel the Disney magic for a couple of weeks.

Most of the trips we have had since then have been a LOT smoother, but no matter how it goes, we always manage to have a good time!

Hello fellow August travelers :wave2:

We are so excited to have added a very last minute trip to experience SWGE AP preview :darth:
Staying at the WL 8/20/19 - 8/23/19 before moving DD back to college in St Augustine.

Hello wdwnut61. You have been added to the Roll Call. Hope you have an amazing trip to a galaxy far far away . . . . Disney World :)

Do hats help? Ive never brought/worn one but thinking I should this trip, which is our first summer trip to FL.

DS, DD and I have hats we bought at Animal Kingdom two years ago, with the wide brim, and they are amazing. Of course, your head will sweat in them, so when you are in a shady area, you need to take the hat off for a bit, and let your skull dry, but the hat does an amazing job of keeping the sun off my face and neck, and off my scalp. I hate to use any kind of sunscreen on my face or forehead because I sweat a lot, and the stuff ends up mixing with the sweat, and dripping into my eyes, or my mouth. And, of course, it is pretty difficult to use any kind of sunscreen on your scalp without winding up with nasty oily hair. The hat solves both of those problems for me.

Yes, we ended up with the big ones, and I think I'm going to cut them in half. As a warning, there are instructions to wash them before first use. I think it's rare, but some people have reported getting a rash when they didn't wash them first. So, you'll want to pull them out of the packaging, wash them according to the instructions, and let them fully dry before packing them for Disney!

Late to the party, but I am traveling July 31-August 10 with DD17 (just the two of us at POFQ from 7/31-Aug 2) and then checking into Kidani from Aug 2-10 where we will be joined by my two sisters and four nieces, ages 10, 13, 16, & 17. We will be celebrating my oldest niece's 18th bday and her high school graduation on our girls only trip. As my kids used to say when they were little, 4 more sleeps until we go, can't wait! :jumping1:

Today's update:

Gave it another few days partially because I kept forgetting; but finally called about our missing Magical Express tags. Turned out they had all of the flight information, had our pick up time set for when we come back home; but for contact information just had my mother's name and no address. Somehow my mother's name ended up as the main contact even though my name is the main one on the reservation. They don't have her address so there was no address in there telling them where to mail the DME packet. Maybe some confusion with 2 rooms being booked who knows. At any rate, there's still plenty of time for them to get here and the person I spoke with assured me they would reach us in time.

I book by phone due to the discount I use; so I haven't been able to book DME online. It just shows up during the online booking process. I have seen it when pricing future trips, which of course I'm already doing. :lmao:

So more stuff from Amazon arrived today. I got us a new set of cooling towels. We really loved the big soft ones that come with a zip top bag and a hook. They served us well last year but somehow a couple got misplaced. They came in a set of 4 and we each have a different color.

My mom approved the park bag I picked out for her so I ordered that and it arrived this weekend as well. Never could get an order through on the upgraded Magic Bands; so I ordered some skins. Two of them arrived today. Fans are here and our new luggage set arrived. My 16 year-old likes to go full Disney on what she wears so I have been picking up shirts for a while. That's carryover from those days when I was obsessed with making shirts for our trips. But I also found 2 really cute Minnie Mouse night shirts and got those.

My son and I are different. For us I get a couple of Disney shirts, one of which we'll probably travel in and for the rest is what will be most comfortable in the heat. Last order (I hope) was a small seat cushion for my mom. She sometimes has back issues so just going to toss it into her park bag for sitting on walls and hard surfaces like the benches in the Animal Kingdom shows.

Got thru car shopping today (ended up with a Journey!) and finished school supply shopping. Tomorrow taking DD as she doesn’t have much to start school with (can’t wear shorts and her capris are leggings type that require long shirts) so hoping to find her a couple outfits to get thru to start. Then 3 1/2 days of work and we will be on our way!!!

I just ran out to Marshalls to find a lightweight white shirt. 2.5 hours and $320 later, Im now home :)

They had backpacks out, but I am holding off until our Disney trip. They usually have some sort of backpack deal in the shops that if you spend XX amount, you can get a backpack for about $20. The ones we got in the past have been super good quality and plenty big for all my DDs binders/folders etc... I saw these online earlier this year as the new pattern...

Its cute.. Hoping its the same this summer.

At the Marshalls checkout, the cashier commented "Thats a lot of stuff". I said "I know. We are going on vacation so some is for that, and the rest is for back to school". He asked where we were going. When I told him, he said "Oh, I was just there a couple of weeks ago. It was my first time and I LOVED everything....except the heat. It was HOT!"

Yikes.

Last edited:
Late to the party, but I am traveling July 31-August 10 with DD17 (just the two of us at POFQ from 7/31-Aug 2) and then checking into Kidani from Aug 2-10 where we will be joined by my two sisters and four nieces, ages 10, 13, 16, & 17. We will be celebrating my oldest niece's 18th bday and her high school graduation on our girls only trip. As my kids used to say when they were little, 4 more sleeps until we go, can't wait! :jumping1:

You have been added to the Roll Call. Hope you have a GREAT trip!

Yippppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I just got a dining reservation for Beaches and Cream :) Not the day I was hoping for, but its still a day that will work. We will be at Discovery Cove that day and in the past my DD barely made it out of the shower, when getting back to the hotel, before falling asleep around 6pm She's a little older now and hopefully knowing we will have a 7:30pm dinner and B&C she will stay awake :) Still have an alert for my ideal date, but Im very happy with this one!!!

I just ran out to Marshalls to find a lightweight white shirt. 2.5 hours and $320 later, Im now home :)

View attachment 420662

They had backpacks out, but I am holding off until our Disney trip. They usually have some sort of backpack deal in the shops that if you spend XX amount, you can get a backpack for about $20. The ones we got in the past have been super good quality and plenty big for all my DDs binders/folders etc... I saw these online earlier this year as the new pattern...

View attachment 420660

Its cute.. Hoping its the same this summer.

At the Marshalls checkout, the cashier commented "Thats a lot of stuff". I said "I know. We are going on vacation so some is for that, and the rest is for back to school". He asked where we were going. When I told him, he said "Oh, I was just there a couple of weeks ago. It was my first time and I LOVED everything....except the heat. It was HOT!"

Yikes.

Looks like you will be very well dressed! Marshall's is one of my favorite places to shop. It's only 3 miles from my house, so it's my hang out. I spend way too much time and money there.💰🤑 It will be hot, but so what, you're on vacation! Just drink plenty of free ice water, put on a hat, your frog tog, take a break in the AC, and when it pours you can shop. We have a similar Disney back pack we got with one of those deals that DH uses for our park necessities. I am always on a quest for the perfect park bag, and this past week I found super lightweight, water resistant back packs for me and DD at the gift shop in Boston Children's Hospital. It actually folds up into it's front pocket so it won't take up any space, hoping they work out.

at the gift shop in Boston Children's Hospital.

Ha! I have been known to get many Vera Bradley bags at that gift shop :) They are always on sale. Sadly, my DS aged out of BCH and now goes to a Dr near our home. I am forever grateful for all the care he received at BCH as a child (they kept seeing him until he was 25!!) Without their Drs, I dont know what life would be like now. (Epilepsy, fully controlled now with medication. Hasnt had a seizure in many YEARS :) He graduated college w/ Masters Degree is working and driving :) !!! ).

Do you have a HomeGoods near you?

Ha! I have been known to get many Vera Bradley bags at that gift shop :) They are always on sale. Sadly, my DS aged out of BCH and now goes to a Dr near our home. I am forever grateful for all the care he received at BCH as a child (they kept seeing him until he was 25!!) Without their Drs, I dont know what life would be like now. (Epilepsy, fully controlled now with medication. Hasnt had a seizure in many YEARS :) He graduated college w/ Masters Degree is working and driving :) !!! ).

Do you have a HomeGoods near you?

BCH is absolutely awesome. How wonderful that your son has done so well, what a success story! I have picked up some Vera bags in the gift shop, I also frequent the Vera store at Wrentham Outlets. I just bought a couple of nice RFID wallets that were a steal on their online outlet, and with free shipping too.
Oh yes I do have a Home Goods near me, right next door to Marshalls. I have to avoid Home Goods before our Disney trips; too many lovely things in that store to tempt my wallet!

Oh yes I do have a Home Goods near me, right next door to Marshalls.

Then I know where you live :) We only have 2 HG stores at the cape and from a previous post I recall youre not in Hyannis!

I work at the TJX HQ :) (for the HomeGoods division). My big spend at Marshalls last night included my employee discount :( Keep shopping.....job security for me!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter