The New GAC/DAC System ( Sorry Bit Of A Rant)

I think more often than not people with genuine disabilities don't want to be treated differently. I know with my kids who have ASD, we use our trips to help them understand the concept of waiting and support them through it. It's equality that disabled people want, not preferential treatment and most of the complaints I've heard are about not getting "front of the line access" which was a) never a "right" anyway (even though that often happened) and b) isn't necessary to make access equal for all.

We have been to WDW a lot and we've made it work. We have to plan, we have to take time out, we have to use FP cleverly and we have to use rider swap when there is an attraction that one of the kids couldn't manage, but it's not an issue.

Interestingly, I just saw that Disney have released a new booklet about cognitive disabilities and autism with the new system. I know a few of us here have kids with ASD so some might find it useful so I thought I'd share it. You can find it here

Hear, hear! :thumbsup2 I am always happy to hear of other parents who deal with limitations and special needs as I do.

Yeah, I have to say I am wholeheartedly behind this thread. My son's no understanding of emotion and hardly any concept of appropriate social skills. If he wants you to look a certain place and you're not listening to him, he will turn your head to face wherever he wanted you to look. He did this to a guest from a hotel we were staying at in Portugal once and he used some force (he's also unaware of his own strength) and he hurt her neck. As you can imagine, I was mortified and no amount of apology was going to make the pain go away for her. I did pay for their meal in the restaurant that night but if something like that happened in a queue at WDW, there'd be uproar. We don't want VIP royalty treatment. We aren't celebs. We just want a place to wait other than the queues. I will be getting the old style GAC for a visit to MK and another to DHS before the old system comes into place but if the queue is 20 mins or less, we won't be using it as I know my son can stand for that amount of time without getting too distracted and wanting to show people everything. Any longer though and he gets VERY excitable (bit of ADHD type behaviours coming through).

I have found that most people who are against the GAC, aren't upset with separate waiting areas, it's the no wait in that separate area that upsets people. This new DAS might work nicely for your family, with what you have described. Your family will be able to get a DAS FP and return to the attraction after the given time (which is equal to standby line-15 minutes), then you be able to eat, see another attraction, sit and wait in a nice shady spot, peruse the gift shops, etc. Then return to get into the FP queue. I have also read that you can return anytime after the return time on your DAS FP, they just want you to wait the minimum...there is no max. The only thing is you won't be able to get another DAS FP until that first one is used. However, you can still access regular FP's as well as FP+ in addition to the DAS FP. Good luck to you and your family. I hope it works well for you. :)

I've heard two rumors. One as you said and one saying there will be 'central locations' hence my worry about having to head for Guest Relations.

However it it what it is and this change is nothing but positive.

If you read the official Disney statement, which I believe someone posted in here? It contains the policy as well as a FAQ section, and a cognitive abilities section too. In it, it says that DAS guests will be able to get return tickets at the attraction they want to ride. Saving the back and forth to a central location. Though, you will still have to criss cross in a way, due to not being able to get another DAS FP until you use the first one.

The only time you would need to see Guest Relations is to initially get your DAS card. It also said in the Disney statement that guests staying more than 1 day, will be able to get a DAS for their length of stay as opposed to a new one each day. I think you will have to show KTTWC or tickets. You will get a DAS card for the time you are there, as opposed to the old system which the GAC was valid for months. You will also have to have a picture taken of the DAS holder for the card. So the DAS holder will have to be there to obtain the card, and to enter the attraction queue. However, Disney has officially said that the DAS holder does not have to be present to obtain the DAS FP.

Hope that answered some of your questions.

Here is the official Disney word....

Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment and accessible experiences for guests.
Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program, which provides access to attractions for guests with disabilities, so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. It will also help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.
The new Disability Access Service (DAS) Card will replace the Guest Assistance Card on Oct. 9. Guests at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort can request a Disability Access Service Card at Guest Relations. DAS Cardholders will receive a return time for attractions based on the current wait time.
Disney Parks has long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs. Guests can visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual situation, and Disney Parks will continue to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Disability Access Service Card and how does it work?

The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who arent able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). A Disability Access Service Card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the Guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disneys FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+ service.

What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned the DAS Card doesnt meet their needs?
Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs.

Who will be eligible for a Disability Access Service Card?
Disney Parks goal is to accommodate guests who arent able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.

How will guests get a Disability Access Service Card?
A Disability Access Service Card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations. Guests will participate in a registration process, which also includes having their photo taken.

Why is Disney Parks doing this?
Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. Disney Parks also hopes it will help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.

Does the DAS Cardholder have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
No. Another member of the DAS Cardholders travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.

Where do DAS Cardholders go to receive return times?
At Disneyland Resort, guests will go to Guest Relations kiosks located throughout the parks to receive a return time. At Walt Disney World Resort, guests will go to the attraction to receive a return time.
Does a DAS Cardholder have to ride the attraction at the exact return time listed?
No. Return times are valid until redeemed by the DAS Cardholder.

How long is a DAS Card valid?
A DAS card is valid for up to 14 days depending on a guests ticket entitlement.

Is a DAS Card issued at one Disney theme park valid at other Disney theme parks?
Yes, the card will be valid throughout the resort at which it was issued.

Why doesnt Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctors note?
Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof.

Is this the only service available to Guests with disabilities?
Disney Parks offer a variety of services to guests with disabilities, such as Disneys Handheld Device that offers assistive listening, captioning and audio description. Additionally, Disney Parks has developed a Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities. This serves as a tool on how best to experience its theme parks and is expected to be available online by mid-October.

Disney Parks will continue to provide excellent guest service and accessible experiences. Guests should visit Guest Relations at any park should they feel they need assistance due to a disability.

Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

Will Disney Parks continue to provide a service to wish-granting organizations?
The change will not affect those who are visiting on trips organized by wish granting organizations. There is a separate program for children with life-threatening illnesses.

This is taken from the information contained in this link.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/[/COLOR]

Here are a couple more links that are Official Disney.

For guests with Cognitive Abilities...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/guests-with-disabilities/disabilities-cognitive/

The official guidebook released by Disney.

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...disabilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide.pdf

Here are links for DAS at Disneyland.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/cognitive-disabilities/

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...nd-Resource-Guests-Cognitive-Disabilities.pdf

Sorry I thought these were posted in here, but it was a different thread I belong to. Hope this helps everyone!

This came up on the BBC's disability news report today (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-24395970... feel free to go add some sanity there too!

I told my MIL (amputee) about this- she would use a wheelchair if she went to WDW because of the size (she normally manages getting about on her prosthetic leg), but her comments echoed many here "of course I should have to wait, it's only fair... just so long as I can get through in the the chair, we're good".

Thanks Onelittlespark1 for the FAQ'S

Budgiemama nice to know someone else feels the same way. Whilst I'm not about to take on the BBC and the people who have commented on there , I have e-mailed the podcast team with my own , Pete style rant ! All suitable for daytime broadcast ( just!) Hopefully I may get a mention on Tuesday!

Thanks Onelittlespark1 for the FAQ'S

Budgiemama nice to know someone else feels the same way. Whilst I'm not about to take on the BBC and the people who have commented on there , I have e-mailed the podcast team with my own , Pete style rant ! All suitable for daytime broadcast ( just!) Hopefully I may get a mention on Tuesday!

Yw!

I have read this thread with tears in my eyes. You all are very inspirational. I am very lucky to have no disabilities/illnesses (apart from advancing old age) and would happily give up my place in any line for any of you. You are such a reasonable bunch, thanks for making my day!

Pam

I have read this thread with tears in my eyes. You all are very inspirational. I am very lucky to have no disabilities/illnesses (apart from advancing old age) and would happily give up my place in any line for any of you. You are such a reasonable bunch, thanks for making my day!

Pam

I am pretty positive that I can speak for all in this thread and say...

Thank you! :love: We appreciate your kindness, though we would never expect your place in line. We are happy waiting behind you, we are happy we get to wait at all to enjoy WDW same as everyone else in line. :)

As the OP said, the Gac equivalent in most UK theme parks allows you to use a 'fastpass' or disabled access line but the wait time is added to your card and you can't use the Gac again until that time is up. This seems completely fair to me. My eldest DD has Acute Anxiety Disorder which presents similar issues to ASD and the GACs allow us as a family to enjoy theme parks. Disney's solution seems sensible to me :)

If you read the official Disney statement, which I believe someone posted in here? It contains the policy as well as a FAQ section, and a cognitive abilities section too. In it, it says that DAS guests will be able to get return tickets at the attraction they want to ride. Saving the back and forth to a central location. Though, you will still have to criss cross in a way, due to not being able to get another DAS FP until you use the first one.

The only time you would need to see Guest Relations is to initially get your DAS card. It also said in the Disney statement that guests staying more than 1 day, will be able to get a DAS for their length of stay as opposed to a new one each day. I think you will have to show KTTWC or tickets. You will get a DAS card for the time you are there, as opposed to the old system which the GAC was valid for months. You will also have to have a picture taken of the DAS holder for the card. So the DAS holder will have to be there to obtain the card, and to enter the attraction queue. However, Disney has officially said that the DAS holder does not have to be present to obtain the DAS FP.

Hope that answered some of your questions.

Actually that answers the few issues I was worried about so that's awesome. :)

And as to the criss crossing, due to my knee issues I used to blitz through the line, ride the ride, then rest for a while so I was ready to walk off to the next ride. Given that I tend to travel in off peak hours it seems to me if I just get my return time, then rest while waiting it'll probably be around the same wait time so it should all be good for me. :)

Actually that answers the few issues I was worried about so that's awesome. :)

And as to the criss crossing, due to my knee issues I used to blitz through the line, ride the ride, then rest for a while so I was ready to walk off to the next ride. Given that I tend to travel in off peak hours it seems to me if I just get my return time, then rest while waiting it'll probably be around the same wait time so it should all be good for me. :)

Glad to have helped! I think the new system is going to be good. People just need to give it a chance. Of course, I am sure there will be some tweaking, but it's a good starting point at the least.

I am similar to you in that I have mobility problems, so I rent a scooter while in the world. I scoot from attraction to attraction but park and walk in the standby or FP queue. I save my energy and what I can walk for the queues. If a queue is too long for me to be able to wait in, then I FP it or I skip it. I am okay with that. I can't ride every single thing, in the 6 trips I have made thus far, there are still things I haven't been on!

I for one would be lost without this system. Took the previous GAC for granted but if this prevents less people taking the mickey (no pun intended) then i am all for it. Its all about learning to manage the behaviour. My son wont understand why we cant go on that ride for 45 mins and will probably ask me and everyone else that same question 100's of times until that 45 mins is up but with planning we will minimize any trauma e.g go on another ride/eat or have a look at the shops.

As a sufferer of arthritis in my lower back and hips I find standing in line for a long period very painful this is why we've always made very heavy use of fast passes. Now with the introduction of FP+ I am very concerned that we are going to have to be waiting in a lot more standby lines. I don't want to get a GAC/DAC as I feel that I am not really entitled to one but at the same time if I did get one I strongly feel that it would not entitle me to get on the ride any quicker it would just enable me to wait to get on the ride in a place that would be more comfortable for me rather than standing in a long line.

That's exactly it. They just took the front of the line instant access out of the equation and made it more of a fastpass experience for all rides. The ones that are flipping out are the ones with the kids that want to do what they want to do when they want to do it or they will have a full on meltdown if they are told no. Out of everyone I've seen, it's those people that are the ones saying they just won't go back to WDW again. IMO I wouldn't look at it as such an all or nothing situation, but one of, "If we really want to go on this vacation then we are going to have to work on teaching that something special comes at the end of that wait." I know it is much easier said than done, but since it seems that every other child these days is born with autism, that is going to be the only way on Earth for it to work without the fastpass line being the LONG line. It seems to me that Disney is of the mindset that if your child can wait on things on a daily basis because that is how life works and it's unavoidable, then they will have to do the same here and throwing a fit isn't a good enough excuse to bypass a line anymore. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that is how I'm reading it. I mean where else on earth can anyone be excused from waiting their turn? It's something every person has to deal with at almost every waking moment. Be it, "I'm hungry" (give me a minute to cook your food) to "I have to go to the bathroom", (there's someone in there you have to wait for them to come out.) This will be no different I suppose.:confused3

I wrote a long piece on this in a different thread, because like the OP and so many others in this thread, I completely support the new system.

Our family consists of my DW who has spinal injuries following a car accident, me who has a serious hip injury from the same accident and 2 children with SEN. We have never used the GAC because we have always planned and made use of FP. It's not "easy" but we get by.

People who need special assistance, a flat entrance or the ability to wait in an alternate environment should get it. No question. This new system means they will get equal access and equal treatment without setting everyone else at a disadvantage or having the system horribly abused.

I am delighted to see this thread full of fair minded people. I have read so many posts with people claiming their disabled child can't wait more than 2 minutes etc. With the exception of Make a Wish children and children with life limiting illnesses, we can all wait. Maybe not in the usual line, but we can wait our turn. Let's be honest, it isn't unusual to have to wait more than 2 minutes for the bathroom at WDW!

The new system is fair and will assist people are genuinely deserving. Well done, Disney for creating a level playing field. :thumbsup2

Amen and thank you for posting that. I believe the same as you. It's not a matter of CAN'T, it's more a matter of DON'T WANT TO. People have gotten used to being spoiled and pampered at WDW and now the special treatment is being taken away. People just want to be on vacation from having to deal with the issues that they deal with everyday at home, and that's understandable to an extent, but when it turns into, "your not willing to deal with the hand you were dealt is causing inconvenience to everyone else around you" then it becomes a matter of who do we have to drop the hammer on here? They've just made it fair. If fair doesn't work for you then I guess you are just out of luck.

Amen and thank you for posting that. I believe the same as you. It's not a matter of CAN'T, it's more a matter of DON'T WANT TO. People have gotten used to being spoiled and pampered at WDW and now the special treatment is being taken away. People just want to be on vacation from having to deal with the issues that they deal with everyday at home, and that's understandable to an extent, but when it turns into, "your not willing to deal with the hand you were dealt is causing inconvenience to everyone else around you" then it becomes a matter of who do we have to drop the hammer on here? They've just made it fair. If fair doesn't work for you then I guess you are just out of luck.

I try to give my views in a polite and diplomatic way because how I really feel with spark riots :rotfl2: but no one knows disability better than my family. I'm not saying we have it better or worse than any other family affected by disabilities, but with all of us having some form of disability, I understand disability comes in various forms and guises (not always visible or obvious) and that people with difficulties need and deserve help to access the everything the parks have to offer.

That said, I find it really irritating that people view disability (particularly cognitive, developmental or neurological impairments) as a genuine reason to skip lines to the detriment of others. Our disabilities are unfortunate and they cause problems for us, but we do not need preferential treatment. No one does (other than people with life threatening/limiting illnesses). The people I hear complaining about this are not disabled people, they are people who are complaining on behalf of a disabled person. Why? Because front of the line access for their family member means no lines for them!

No one likes waiting, no one enjoys it, most able bodied people ache like they've never ached before when they're at WDW. It's par for the course. We all need to wait our turn in whatever capacity we need to. My children being autistic means they don't understand the social world. They find crowds, loud noises and the unexpected very frightening. That said, they have two working legs and they can wait. Maybe not in a line, but they can wait for their FP time.

I try to give my views in a polite and diplomatic way because how I really feel with spark riots :rotfl2: but no one knows disability better than my family. I'm not saying we have it better or worse than any other family affected by disabilities, but with all of us having some form of disability, I understand disability comes in various forms and guises (not always visible or obvious) and that people with difficulties need and deserve help to access the everything the parks have to offer.

That said, I find it really irritating that people view disability (particularly cognitive, developmental or neurological impairments) as a genuine reason to skip lines to the detriment of others. Our disabilities are unfortunate and they cause problems for us, but we do not need preferential treatment. No one does (other than people with life threatening/limiting illnesses). The people I hear complaining about this are not disabled people, they are people who are complaining on behalf of a disabled person. Why? Because front of the line access for their family member means no lines for them!

No one likes waiting, no one enjoys it, most able bodied people ache like they've never ached before when they're at WDW. It's par for the course. We all need to wait our turn in whatever capacity we need to. My children being autistic means they don't understand the social world. They find crowds, loud noises and the unexpected very frightening. That said, they have two working legs and they can wait. Maybe not in a line, but they can wait for their FP time.

Amen! I am the same way. I have a DD who is severely ADHD, has speech delays and speech processing problems, along with being intellectually impaired, and we have never gotten a GAC. She can wait in line like everyone else, bc you have to, that is the way the world works.

I am trying to teach my DD to navigate her way IN the world, not expecting or wanting the world to bend for her.

I also believe that accommodations should be in place for all to enjoy the parks, but like you I think that having the ability to wait elsewhere from the line, and being able to hold 3 types of FP's at any given time...is enough.

Thanks for adding your thoughts!

Amen! I am the same way. I have a DD who is severely ADHD, has speech delays and speech processing problems, along with being intellectually impaired, and we have never gotten a GAC. She can wait in line like everyone else, bc you have to, that is the way the world works.

I am trying to teach my DD to navigate her way IN the world, not expecting or wanting the world to bend for her.

I also believe that accommodations should be in place for all to enjoy the parks, but like you I think that having the ability to wait elsewhere from the line, and being able to hold 3 types of FP's at any given time...is enough.

Thanks for adding your thoughts!

You are EXACTLY right. The world won't change for our kids. We have a duty to teach our kids to function in a world that is tougher for them to cope with. I make no excuses for my children and I expect of them. I know they have limitations and I know they struggle, but I expect them to be the best they can be and I expect them to try. Too many people set their disabled children up to fail because they never expect them to do anything, never give them a consequence for anything or never expect them amount to anything.

I never want my kids to feel limited in their ability and I never want them to believe that the world revolves around them and their difficulties. They can do the same as any other child but the might have to do it in a different way. I think WDW is a great place to help teach them these things too. :thumbsup2

You are EXACTLY right. The world won't change for our kids. We have a duty to teach our kids to function in a world that is tougher for them to cope with. I make no excuses for my children and I expect of them. I know they have limitations and I know they struggle, but I expect them to be the best they can be and I expect them to try. Too many people set their disabled children up to fail because they never expect them to do anything, never give them a consequence for anything or never expect them amount to anything.

I never want my kids to feel limited in their ability and I never want them to believe that the world revolves around them and their difficulties. They can do the same as any other child but the might have to do it in a different way. I think WDW is a great place to help teach them these things too. :thumbsup2

:woohoo:

I would like to see a similar concept applied to the bus queueing too.

We were waiting for a CBR bus the other year and the line was long (that's what you get from staying at a big resort). We had already just missed a bus and seen a second fill up and depart and had now been waiting 20 minutes.

There was a gent in a scooter behind me in the queue (waiting like everyone else) and as a new bus started to approach I moved to one side so he could get to the special loading area. He said "I'm good - I can wait like everyone else - I don't need to push ahead - at least I get to sit down he laughed" several people in the vicinity nodded and smiled with respect for him.

Then low and behold just as the bus appeared a family with Gran and Grandad in scooters turn up with an entourage of 12 family members with kids bouncing up and down 'We don't have to wait"- head straight to the front and got loaded first taking up a third of the bus capacity - nevermind all the other familes holding young and tired children who had been waiting over 30 minutes by this time.

Of course scooters need to loaded first, but that does not follow that there should be the need for people to bypass the wait !

I think Disney was right to evaluate the policy, those who need the assistance will get it - and as for the gloating children in this group boasting that they did not have to wait - this was clearly a family who were abusing the system and it was almost sad that this attitude of 'expectation' had rubbed off on the kids too.

I would like to see a similar concept applied to the bus queueing too.

We were waiting for a CBR bus the other year and the line was long (that's what you get from staying at a big resort). We had already just missed a bus and seen a second fill up and depart and had now been waiting 20 minutes.

There was a gent in a scooter behind me in the queue (waiting like everyone else) and as a new bus started to approach I moved to one side so he could get to the special loading area. He said "I'm good - I can wait like everyone else - I don't need to push ahead - at least I get to sit down he laughed" several people in the vicinity nodded and smiled with respect for him.

Then low and behold just as the bus appeared a family with Gran and Grandad in scooters turn up with an entourage of 12 family members with kids bouncing up and down 'We don't have to wait"- head straight to the front and got loaded first taking up a third of the bus capacity - nevermind all the other familes holding young and tired children who had been waiting over 30 minutes by this time.

Of course scooters need to loaded first, but that does not follow that there should be the need for people to bypass the wait !

I think Disney was right to evaluate the policy, those who need the assistance will get it - and as for the gloating children in this group boasting that they did not have to wait - this was clearly a family who were abusing the system and it was almost sad that this attitude of 'expectation' had rubbed off on the kids too.

I agree, When we were there in 2011 we rarely used the buses as we were staying off site , and when we did it was only to park hop and usually at obscure times so we hardly ever had company on the buses, but if we did we would always wait. I really dislike some peoples attitudes , when they think they are owed something for being in a scooter/ wheelchair. they should join the regular queue then the driver should look at the line , If the wheelchair is 25th in line and only 20 seats left on the bus, Sorry but the wheelchair should wait .

We are staying at SSR this time so will be using the transport a lot more , and yes we will be refusing our place , if there are a bus full of people in front of us!!

Don't even get me started on the 'Mother of the year ' I saw by TSMM in Hollywood studios!! She rolled up next to the Fastpass booths accompanied by a teenage boy and a younger girl , My Jaw nearly hit the floor when she hopped off spritely as you like and her words were, something along the lines of ' You can take the scooter now and you won't have to queue for the Toy Story Ride ' :sad2: :confused3 , Little did she know we'd just spent 2 HOURS !!!!!!!! in the queue with my DH , Some people make me sick !!!! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter