The New GAC/DAC System ( Sorry Bit Of A Rant)

Vickyrowe

Only 4 Months Until My Birthday Trip !!!!!
This was the last update on my PTR, but I wanted to share too , in case people are not following along. Sorry if it's a bit ranty, but I feel really strongly about this.

Admin feel free to delete, if you feel it is inappropriate.

Firstly I should point out my DH is severely disabled , is quadreplegic and requires constant care, in case anyone doesn't know.

The New GAC /DAC System

Firstly I have to say I have never been to a place that goes above and beyond , so consistently for anybody with a disability.

And, as with any theme park or company you, will always have people who try to cheat the system or think they are above the rules and regulations.

The opinion of my DH and I is simple , Why does being disabled entitle you to anything !! yes we are very fortunate to live in a world where, the people who really need it get the help they need and we would not survive with out it.

But, the people who 'hired' disabled people , and the disabled people themselves who for a want of a better word 'PIMPED' themselves out for money, to help families cut the cues should be ashamed!

I know and have worked with several clients , who have no concept of queuing , or lack the social skills to behave reasonably ( will shout and scream, that could frighten others/ small children), or people with medical conditions who for whatever reason are unable to wait 2 hours in the queue for, for example Toy Story Midway Mania ( which we did in 2011)

These are the real people who should be able to skip the queue not somebody who just needs a flat entrance , like my DH.

We only used our GAC once or twice in 2011 and that was for a couple of rides we had to physically lift my DH into, or had to enter via the exit eg Haunted mansion, otherwise we queued like everybody else,

Inevitable we actually ended up waiting longer than most people as they had to wait for the accessible car /boat to come back round.

I really like the new system and I feel like it is more inline with the UK systems I have used previously ( Thorpe park and Drayton Manor are the most similar)

Where if the queue is an hour then why the heck shouldn't we wait an hour!!!

Some people may complain that they won't get as much done,!!

No hold on right there , you will get exactly the same done as Mrs and Mrs X and their 2 Kids that have been waiting for years to scrimp and save for this trip, working all the hours god can give , which will probably be their first and last, who have to plan and think about queues, and they stand with aching legs and tired feet , after 8 hours of park touring and you expect to sail by and get 5 x rides on Splash in a day when they will only get 1!!

What on this earth can give you any right to expect to have more than them , when it comes down to it , we have all paid our money and we should get equal treatment from the parks!

Sorry for the rant , but I have seen too many comments recently from people who 'need' GAC's and are 'disgusted' at the new system.

Fine you don't like it , don't use it. The people that it will actually benefit will still use it and it will be a fairer system for all!!

IT'S NOT ABOUT GETTING TO THE FRONT OF THE QUEUE, YOU SHOULD BE DAMN GRATEFUL YOU CAN EVEN GET ON THEM AT ALL!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Amen sister! That is exactly what the issue is according to Disney themselves.

I like you with your DH, am disabled myself (though not wheelchair bound) and have a special needs child, but agree whole heartedly 1000% with you.

Any rational people aren't upset if they have to wait a few extra minutes for someone who needs the ride stopped in order to board. To me that is a completely different thing. THAT is about assessability which is covered under the ADA, as it should.

People got their panties all in a bunch over this issue, and it doesn't even go into effect for 4 more days. Try it out, before you say it won't work. Alas, of course you're going to say it won't work, bc they no longer will just let you line skip...and if you aren't getting that perk... (not you the OP, you the general people).

PS...don't get upset if people start calling you a deadbeat dad of a special needs child. Apparently, those are the only people who share yours and my opinion. That is what I read on another thread about this issue. :lmao:

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this, I'm sure some people would 'have my head' for my opinions , but thanks for your support.

Vicky x

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this, I'm sure some people would 'have my head' for my opinions , but thanks for your support.

Vicky x

Yw! There are a lot more of us here than you would think. Many a thread I have been in across a couple boards, and this one seems to me that I am in the majority. But yes, there are some that will have your head and stake it too!

My DH isn't severely disabled but does have mobility problems following a severe stroke 10 years ago. This means he can't walk long distances or stand for very long. On our Aug trip to WDW we hired a mobility scooter and were pleasantly surprised that we got to join the regular queues - we didn't want any special treatment for him and he felt, for want of a better word, normal.

We did wait for an hour in Toy Story Mania, and that was only in the first part of the queue. Then we joined the flat access queue and waited another 30 mins for the cars to be pulled over to our area. I did feel sorry for the pushchair families here and felt they could have been offered somewhere to leave the pushchair and then taken with their children up the stairs (which begs the question why make a new ride with the stairs anyway?), as grumpy toddlers are far more trying for their parents than my DH! We also got to see the fully themed queuing areas which we would have missed if we had jumped the queues.

All the cm's were fantastic with DH, even when we were about to ride test track and it broke down, they went out of their way to help DH to the lift as the emergency exits have stairs.

I do understand a lot of people can't handle confined spaces and crowds and noise, but in our case we never even considered the GAC as other than mobility problems DH has no special needs.

:goodvibes

I like the new DAS system as it's (not) advertised so far.

At least, for people like me who can't do lines, that's a fair alternative.
Unlike my old GAC I will now need to wait about the same time as anyone else before riding. And I think it's fair. If I can't do the waiting inside a line, I will do the waiting somewhere else, and that's perfectly fine with me.

Guys, I will let this post stand but we all know that this is a bit of a hot topic so just a reminder to keep it friendly please :)

Guys, I will let this post stand but we all know that this is a bit of a hot topic so just a reminder to keep it friendly please :)

Thank-you Wilma-Bride, If You feel at anytime this has gotten off topic or out of hand please feel free to delete, I have no intention of starting WW3. :hippie:

The new policy is in line with what Cedar Fair parks have in our area. Hopefully it will cut down on the abuse.

Honestly, I think WDW made the change for legal reasons. I recall reading on this site someone quoting the ADA act where it was talking about reasonable accomodations, and prohibited making the circumstances better than those without a disability. I apologizing for not having the exact text...but I am guessing that WDW is trying to level the field, making sure that it is equal for all.

I don't have an issue with WDW providing better accommodations (old way). I know enough families that struggle with severe disabilities, and I thought it was wonderful that at WDW they could really live it up. I really just think it comes down to the fact that the old rules were possibly illegal, and WDW has a top knotch legal department who doesn't like to lose.

As a sufferer of arthritis in my lower back and hips I find standing in line for a long period very painful this is why we've always made very heavy use of fast passes. Now with the introduction of FP+ I am very concerned that we are going to have to be waiting in a lot more standby lines. I don't want to get a GAC/DAC as I feel that I am not really entitled to one but at the same time if I did get one I strongly feel that it would not entitle me to get on the ride any quicker it would just enable me to wait to get on the ride in a place that would be more comfortable for me rather than standing in a long line.

As a sufferer of arthritis in my lower back and hips I find standing in line for a long period very painful this is why we've always made very heavy use of fast passes. Now with the introduction of FP+ I am very concerned that we are going to have to be waiting in a lot more standby lines. I don't want to get a GAC/DAC as I feel that I am not really entitled to one but at the same time if I did get one I strongly feel that it would not entitle me to get on the ride any quicker it would just enable me to wait to get on the ride in a place that would be more comfortable for me rather than standing in a long line.

Hi , your case is a perfect example of the type of guest this system is designed to help, you would be in too much pain to use the queue with regular guests . Instead you could get a time to come back , and go for a coffee / rest and then ride. Hopefully this new system will be useful to you should you choose to take advantage.

Vicky x

I also agree. We have used a GAC for our son for about 8 of our trips, he has autism. He isn't severe, but had a hard time with lines. Not as much with the time, as much as the being trapped in a closed, space with a lot of people. I think the new system is more fair, totally. It is the same as universals system. My son gets hyper-focused on specific rides, and I think that that will impact us the most. He loves buzz and toy story, and we literally would ride them 4 times in a row. Am I complaining? Absolutely not. But anyone with an autistic child knows when kids are used to doing something a certain way....it will be VERY hard to explain to him why he can't do it anymore. Its not like explaining to a "typical" child. I am still very grateful that they are providing us with an alternative to the long wait in the line, I think it will serve the original purpose that it is for, so nobody should complain. We are passing on our annual trip next year and going to universal to take advantage of their express passes when you stay onsite. We will come back to WDW in 2015, once all of the fp+ things are worked out. We have never had to have a "plan" before, so it will take me some time to catch up on all of this. Plus maybe it will give my son some more time to understand the new system too. But I think that you will be surprised how many of us feel the same as you. I always felt guilty passing everyone in line, especially when it was busy. But also knew there was no way we could stand there for 2 hours with him, so I think this a reasonable solution to my sons needs.

I wrote a long piece on this in a different thread, because like the OP and so many others in this thread, I completely support the new system.

Our family consists of my DW who has spinal injuries following a car accident, me who has a serious hip injury from the same accident and 2 children with SEN. We have never used the GAC because we have always planned and made use of FP. It's not "easy" but we get by.

People who need special assistance, a flat entrance or the ability to wait in an alternate environment should get it. No question. This new system means they will get equal access and equal treatment without setting everyone else at a disadvantage or having the system horribly abused.

I am delighted to see this thread full of fair minded people. I have read so many posts with people claiming their disabled child can't wait more than 2 minutes etc. With the exception of Make a Wish children and children with life limiting illnesses, we can all wait. Maybe not in the usual line, but we can wait our turn. Let's be honest, it isn't unusual to have to wait more than 2 minutes for the bathroom at WDW!

The new system is fair and will assist people are genuinely deserving. Well done, Disney for creating a level playing field. :thumbsup2

I am really glad to see a thread in support of the new system.

I was really struggling to see how people could view it in a negative light, until I realised how many of these people actually were getting "front of line passes"

My daughter has a chromosome defect (still trying to come up with a name for it that people might understand) basically she has a global delay, in both mobility (has fallen over three times so far this weekend and has three big eggs on her head) and her mental development.

My biggest issue would be having to carry her in the lines when she tired which she does easily, but now that in most cases I can use her pushchair if needed. She doesn't understand waiting, but she will have to learn, just like everyone else. We are very lucky that she is very social and she doesn't have the sensory issues and overloads that some have.

I believe this system though caters for those people by allowing them to wait elsewhere.

Kirsten

It always amazes me how people who have to deal with so many genuine physical and mental difficulties within their family/group still try to get by rather than make use of the help facilities in place, as they view being treated differently as unfair on others. Restores the faith a little :goodvibes

I'm almost certain those that abuse the system are in the minority.

I think more often than not people with genuine disabilities don't want to be treated differently. I know with my kids who have ASD, we use our trips to help them understand the concept of waiting and support them through it. It's equality that disabled people want, not preferential treatment and most of the complaints I've heard are about not getting "front of the line access" which was a) never a "right" anyway (even though that often happened) and b) isn't necessary to make access equal for all.

We have been to WDW a lot and we've made it work. We have to plan, we have to take time out, we have to use FP cleverly and we have to use rider swap when there is an attraction that one of the kids couldn't manage, but it's not an issue.

Interestingly, I just saw that Disney have released a new booklet about cognitive disabilities and autism with the new system. I know a few of us here have kids with ASD so some might find it useful so I thought I'd share it. You can find it here

Yeah, I have to say I am wholeheartedly behind this thread. My son's no understanding of emotion and hardly any concept of appropriate social skills. If he wants you to look a certain place and you're not listening to him, he will turn your head to face wherever he wanted you to look. He did this to a guest from a hotel we were staying at in Portugal once and he used some force (he's also unaware of his own strength) and he hurt her neck. As you can imagine, I was mortified and no amount of apology was going to make the pain go away for her. I did pay for their meal in the restaurant that night but if something like that happened in a queue at WDW, there'd be uproar. We don't want VIP royalty treatment. We aren't celebs. We just want a place to wait other than the queues. I will be getting the old style GAC for a visit to MK and another to DHS before the old system comes into place but if the queue is 20 mins or less, we won't be using it as I know my son can stand for that amount of time without getting too distracted and wanting to show people everything. Any longer though and he gets VERY excitable (bit of ADHD type behaviours coming through).

To the OP, don't worry you're not alone. Due to stamina issues (long story short, a bike accident totalled my knee and now I can't walk or stand on it for extended periods without severe pain) I'm a GAC, and now I guess DAS user but I'm wholeheartedly behind the new system.

The system is supposed to give us the same experience as everyone else, not a better\faster one and I for one think the abuse of the old system is shameful.

I admit I do have worries about how this will be implemented. Mainly I hope we don't have to trek back to a Guest Relations point to arrange a ride pass every time, but other than that I see this a totally positive thing.

To the OP, don't worry you're not alone. Due to stamina issues (long story short, a bike accident totalled my knee and now I can't walk or stand on it for extended periods without severe pain) I'm a GAC, and now I guess DAS user but I'm wholeheartedly behind the new system.

The system is supposed to give us the same experience as everyone else, not a better\faster one and I for one think the abuse of the old system is shameful.

I admit I do have worries about how this will be implemented. Mainly I hope we don't have to trek back to a Guest Relations point to arrange a ride pass every time, but other than that I see this a totally positive thing.

I do believe that, you would take your DAC to the Cast member that is working the DAC / Fastpass return and they will write on the return time based on the current queue,

I do believe that, you would take your DAC to the Cast member that is working the DAC / Fastpass return and they will write on the return time based on the current queue,

I've heard two rumors. One as you said and one saying there will be 'central locations' hence my worry about having to head for Guest Relations.

However it it what it is and this change is nothing but positive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter