The Last Trip: An (Eastern) Fantasy Food Adventure-Bonus Feature, Pam & Her Mom Pt 2 Sept 17 the end

Day 2

At dinner the night before, we set up a plan so that we could make our Port Arrival Time of 10:30AM. And we stuck to it pretty well. In hindsight I'm not sure how good an idea that was! The alarm went off at 6AM and I took a look at FB. Someone from our cruise group posted that the port was fogged in and the Fantasy was not able to dock yet. Fran slept a little longer while I read online and updated my “journal”. We went down to breakfast at 7:45. I made us a waffle.

Here's hers:

Fran got a plate of fruit for us, and some ham.

She got a bagel too.

I poured myself a cup of the brown water that they tried to pass off as Robust coffee, and we ate our breakfast.

Pretty soon we were back in the room packing all our final items, rinsing out her tupperware sandwich container and bringing our bags downstairs to catch the 9AM shuttle back to the airport. We had the same driver from the night before and he got us to the DCL drop off quickly.

That's where the snag hit. Evidently the port channel was closed to all cruise ships. Normally the ships dock by around 6AM and the “walk off” passengers can leave by 7:15. The ship had just docked when we arrived at the airport at 9:20. The CMs told us just to take a seat and they would start checking people in after about an hour. I barely found a seat it was so packed. At that point I realized I could have Starbucks! So I sent Fran off to get me one, that way she could also browse the stores while I sat in peace. Well as much peace as you can have when a bunch of kids are stuck in a holding pattern for a few hours.

At one point they made an announcement about boarding and everyone got up and in line. But then they were like. “Just kidding, sit back down.”

I took a different seat and ended up sitting with a three generation family. The daughter and husband were taking her parents on their first Disney cruise with their young kids. We got to talking about things and I mentioned having sailed out of San Diego and the grandfather says, “Well we live in Long Beach, so that would certainly be convenient.”

Of all the people in that room and I sit down with the ones from my hometown!

Fran and I waited a while before getting in the line, hoping it would go down some, but it only got longer and longer so finally Fran got in line in her scooter and I joined her once she got close to the front. She was so tired that she was falling asleep in her scooter. At one point I thought I had woke her up and I moved ahead in the line about 10 feet. I turned around just in time to see another passenger tap her on the shoulder. She made small noise of surprise and this time she did wake up and drove up to join me.

We were on the bus and our way at noon, and within an hour or so we got our first glimpse of the ship.

However when we were what should have been 10 minutes from the port we hit the worst traffic our bus driver had ever seen. It took us another hour to get to the ship.

Because there were three cruise ships that all arrived late, the entire port was a mess.

It took us two hours just to get to the port and another half an hour to get through security and on the ship. Even though we were late, I still stopped for our embarkation photo. Essentially this photo is about $300, and every time we take another photo, the price can be divided by the number of photos taken, eventually we whittled it down to about $7.75 per photo (and that isn’t counting multiple shots with the same character.

Our stateroom had been ready for half an hour, so we headed up there, dropped off our bags and took the elevator to the enchanted Garden to see if they were still serving lunch. No Dice.

So all the way up to Deck 11 for Cabanas. This would not be my ideal choice, but it worked out for us. I realized when we got up there we had forgotten to bring the Navigator for the day. We had wanted to study that at lunch. Even though we didn’t get to read them now, you get the benefit of perusing them while Fran and I get our lunch from the Buffet.

After making a quick scan of the place I decided on seafood and salad.

Fran got seafood and soup.

Normally I would have eaten my first plate before getting more, but we had 40 minutes and weren't sure how strict they were about closing down the buffet. So I got some roast beef, Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes.

Fran wanted some more Mac,

and this Asian stuff caught my fancy so we had these bowls.

Oh my gosh the noodles were spicy. I downed my water trying to cool down my mouth!

Then it was dessert time. Fran got a bunch. Oreo cheesecake, carrot cake, cookies, and this praline muffin.

She wanted me to get this mousse and I remembered how much I liked the apple cobbler on the Dream. They added vanilla Ice Cream and I put vanilla sauce on top. Yummy!

She couldn't finish off the cookies so she wrapped them in a napkin and took them back to the room. I put them in the tupperware container for safe keeping.

Then we headed back to our room so that we could find out where our muster location was. By this time it was 3:30 and everyone was coming in for a last minute snack., good time to leave!

The room:

The muster drill was relatively painless, and they let Fran and I go with plenty of time so that we were able to get to the elevators and back to our room before the crazy crowds descended on the elevators and staircases.

One of our suitcases had arrived by the time we got back so I started to unpack it and soon after the other three showed up. I decided to go up and get a drink of the day for sail away. It was called a Paradise Punch and it was pretty good.

Everything was going so quickly with the mayhem of the morning. I wanted to enjoy a leisurely sail away. Fran was ancy to go shopping. We had barely left port, but she called Guest Services and they told her that the shops were already open. I convinced her to wait until we got out of the channel, and I believe this was the first time in all of our cruises she came out on the verandah to join me for sail away!

Pelican

It’s a long way down there!

And now we’re out of the channel

Be back later with shopping, more fun, and dinner!

Yuuuuuummmm, waffles. :cloud9:

I spy lemon pound cake.

Oh my hell that traffic is terrible. :crazy2:

Cute cute welcome photo.

Your bathroom is HUGE! Amazing!

Cheers to the drink of the day, sail away, and nice nails.

DSCN9650.jpg

Ouch! That is a lot of traffic!

Glad Fran was able to wake up enough to smile for the picture :)

:eek: :faint: I would hate that.

Glad you are off! Looking forward to following you around on the cruise!

We were on the bus and our way at noon, and within an hour or so we got our first glimpse of the ship.

Love that first glimpse of the ship ....... gets you all hyper and a few minutes later you are right there staring at it!

However when we were what should have been 10 minutes from the port we hit the worst traffic our bus driver had ever seen. It took us another hour to get to the ship.

Yikes! Not fun at all, not what you would like to see after you caught that first glimpse, but reminds me of our first cruise, where it was so foggy on the way to port that we went past it three times before managing to find the correct exit. :rotfl2:

So all the way up to Deck 11 for Cabanas. This would not be my ideal choice, but it worked out for us.

Not my choice at all either, but your food looked pretty nice!

Then it was dessert time. Fran got a bunch. Oreo cheesecake, carrot cake, cookies, and this praline muffin.

No comment needed - that looks yummy!

Then we headed back to our room so that we could find out where our muster location was.

Ah, those rooms look so large, but once the wheelchair is in there they shrink. My friend's not so little girl (19 already) and her really bulky wheelchair filled up that room pretty easily.

It’s a long way down there!

What deck were you on? It doesn't look so high to me - we used to be up on deck 10 on the Fantasy.

First time reader of your TRs. I'm excited to read about the trip that shouldn't have been! HAHA

I can't believe that traffic at PC! Glad you made it on the boat in time!

Bummer that your early start ended up with a big wait!

I think if you have a verandah, that is the nicest way to do the sail away!

Oh jeez, bit of a rough start to your cruise! I know you can't control the weather but still :crazy2:

Well now you are underway and have even had a nice sail away cocktail - woohoo, it's cruise time! :cheer2::boat:

That sucks about your start of the cruise being so delayed! That traffic looks horrible! Its probably a good thing that your transfer was delayed to the port as I'm sure the chaos of them opening the terminal would have been a nightmare!

Your lunch looks fine! I miss the Fantasy! Its been 2.5 years since we were on that ship!

About a week before you were there, I went with my family to watch a SpaceX rocket launch at the Cape from Jetty Park (at the end of the channel). Traffic was not that bad--even for the launch! When they used to have shuttle launches from Cape Canaveral, it could take us 3-4 hours each way between there and Orlando.

Food and room are looking good! Is it too early for ice cream?

Someone from our cruise group posted that the port was fogged in and the Fantasy was not able to dock yet.

That does not sound good.

That's where the snag hit. Evidently the port channel was closed to all cruise ships. Normally the ships dock by around 6AM and the “walk off” passengers can leave by 7:15.

What a nightmare. There were probably quite a few people that would have missed their flights.

At that point I realized I could have Starbucks! So I sent Fran off to get me one, that way she could also browse the stores while I sat in peace. Well as much peace as you can have when a bunch of kids are stuck in a holding pattern for a few hours.

I can just imagine what this would have been like.

Of all the people in that room and I sit down with the ones from my hometown!

It's A Small World ...

We were on the bus and our way at noon

Wow, that was quite some delay.

That traffic looked like a complete and utter nightmare.

eventually we whittled it down to about $7.75 per photo (and that isn’t counting multiple shots with the same character.

That is pretty good going.

Our stateroom had been ready for half an hour, so we headed up there, dropped off our bags and took the elevator to the enchanted Garden to see if they were still serving lunch. No Dice.

That is a shame that they did not keep Enchanted Garden open longer considering all the delays.

This would not be my ideal choice, but it worked out for us.

I am glad that it worked out.

Corinna

Ok so accountant on the 5th? Hmmm.......let's plan when you can think ahead.

I like the idea of breakfast!

Yuuuuuummmm, waffles. :cloud9:

I spy lemon pound cake.

I was hoping it would have been as good as Starbucks but it wasn't.

Oh my hell that traffic is terrible. :crazy2:

::yes::

Cute cute welcome photo.

Thanks. :goodvibes

Your bathroom is HUGE! Amazing!

The whole accessible thing. Gotta be able to turn a wheelchair around in there.

Ouch! That is a lot of traffic!

Yeah you'd think we were in LA or something!

Glad Fran was able to wake up enough to smile for the picture :)

She had twoke hours to sleep on the bus!

Glad you are off! Looking forward to following you around on the cruise!

I'll try and keep up! We need to step up our game and get out of that place. Unfortunately the F&W siren is calling Fran and wants to go to the park tomorrow instead of work.

Joining in!

:welcome:

I' m here! What a shame about them changing the rules on your baggage.

How exciting to travel on The Fantasy. On my bucket list! I love that apple cobbler too. Lovely cabin.

It's nice they let us disabled passengers leave muster drill ahead of time really helps.

Nice you both made the sail away! Looking forward to reading more.

When Alison Takes the Conn

I did actually get to sleep that night! Almost six hours!

Nice! And such luxury!

Evidently they had changed the rules. They wanted us to pay $150 to check this third bag. Fran said, “So we'll carry it on.” Except that it had a bottle of wine, two Mtn Dews, and three bottles of water. Well you can't carry that stuff on. We reasoned it out and even at Disney’s inflated prices we couldn't justify paying $150 for about $12 worth of beverages, so the ticketing agent lucked out. She could have a party that night. With our now lighter bag, we headed to security.

Dang! Kinda a bummer as this may add some amount of inconvenience down the road.

We got a cup of Corn Chowder, it was tasty and had a slow heat to it.

That sounds amazing! I like a slow burn.

She only got an hour and a half of sleep the night before we left. So she needed it!

This was so me the other night- totally can relate to this. :(

If you know us, you know we are Disney addicts
::yes::

Fran is also a certifiable Disneyholic.
Hi Fran! I'd say we're a support group, but we're probably more like enablers.

We have sailed on all the DCL ships except one, and this trip will rectify that. We boarded the Fantasy and now we have been on all four ships.
Well you need to get to work and start planning more trips! I hear the fleet is going to grow and you'll have a new ship to try out in a couple of years.

She said that sometimes she thinks we live in parallel universes, similar but not exact.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Evidently they had changed the rules. They wanted us to pay $150 to check this third bag. Fran said, “So we'll carry it on.” Except that it had a bottle of wine, two Mtn Dews, and three bottles of water. Well you can't carry that stuff on.
Yikes! That stinks, but definitely the better choice was to just abandon your liquids.

At one point they made an announcement about boarding and everyone got up and in line. But then they were like. “Just kidding, sit back down.”
Not cool :furious:

Because there were three cruise ships that all arrived late, the entire port was a mess.
Wow. That's crazy! Good thing you were on a bus. I'd hate to have to drive in that mess!

Oh! Is that thing in the middle what you consider "fruit"? I think I like your nomenclature of food groups!

I poured myself a cup of the brown water that they tried to pass off as Robust coffee

Just NO!

Well as much peace as you can have when a bunch of kids are stuck in a holding pattern for a few hours.

So..... basically none.

dropped off our bags and took the elevator to the enchanted Garden to see if they were still serving lunch. No Dice.

D'oh! :headache:

I convinced her to wait until we got out of the channel, and I believe this was the first time in all of our cruises she came out on the verandah to join me for sail away!

Awwww! :goodvibes Nice you could have some company.

Joining in. :wave: I've read several of your trip reports and glad there's another to share.

How's the apartment cleaning coming along? I selfishly ask so you'll have more trip reports to write.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter