The hunt for a Covid 19 3rd Booster shot

That would be true if I got the 50, but they were giving half that ... 25.

Fair point. But it's what they're giving out in the US

Where in Burlington did you get boosted and how do you know that you got 25mcg? That isn't the approved dosage in Canada.

Maybe you got 25mL which is 50mcg?

Last edited:
That would be true if I got the 50, but they were giving half that ... 25. But that's good to know it might not be as disparate as I thought.

If they gave 25 something is wrong, and I suggest you contact your local public health department and ask why 25 is being used not 50.

The approved Health Canada-approved booster dose of Moderna is 50 mcg, with a small number of exceptions, who get 100 mcg.

Not getting it addressed now could potentially cause you problems in the future for travel and other things if at some point three doses becomes the standard required for such activities.

For Ontario's booster guidance see: https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro...VID-19_vaccine_third_dose_recommendations.pdf

Here is Health Canada's announcement of the approval of Moderna for boosters: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...kevax-covid-19-vaccine-as-a-booster-shot.html

Note from that "The booster is authorized for adults 18 years of age and older, to be used at least six months after an individual has completed their primary vaccine series. The Spikevax COVID-19 booster is a half dose of the regular vaccine (50 mcg)."

And Health Canada's official page about the Moderna vaccine which clearly spells out both the regular dose (100) and the booster dose (50): https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...ugs-vaccines-treatments/vaccines/moderna.html

Is anyone else that already has a mixed dose AZ-Pfizer being told they are being given Moderna now? I’m not up for more mix & match and am regretting not getting a booster in Florida…

If they gave 25 something is wrong, and I suggest you contact your local public health department and ask why 25 is being used not 50.

The approved Health Canada-approved booster dose of Moderna is 50 mcg, with a small number of exceptions, who get 100 mcg.

Not getting it addressed now could potentially cause you problems in the future for travel and other things if at some point three doses becomes the standard required for such activities.

For Ontario's booster guidance see: https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro...VID-19_vaccine_third_dose_recommendations.pdf

Here is Health Canada's announcement of the approval of Moderna for boosters: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...kevax-covid-19-vaccine-as-a-booster-shot.html

Note from that "The booster is authorized for adults 18 years of age and older, to be used at least six months after an individual has completed their primary vaccine series. The Spikevax COVID-19 booster is a half dose of the regular vaccine (50 mcg)."

And Health Canada's official page about the Moderna vaccine which clearly spells out both the regular dose (100) and the booster dose (50): https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...ugs-vaccines-treatments/vaccines/moderna.html

I got it at the Halton vaccine site. She said anyone that was 'healthy' and in the 18-69 range got the half dose. She said the booster dose was half a dose, which was 50 (or maybe she said .5) and that I was getting half that dose and she said .25 or 25, because I was healthy. So were all the people there in that range.

Double checking the paperwork on my vaccine passport, the dosage isn't recorded.

Thanks for the links, Starwind.

Is anyone else that already has a mixed dose AZ-Pfizer being told they are being given Moderna now? I’m not up for more mix & match and am regretting not getting a booster in Florida…
That's what I got. I was told that Ontario has a shortage of Pfizer, so it's being saved for the kids. I have now had all three.

Last edited:
I got it at the Halton vaccine site. She said anyone that was 'healthy' and in the 18-69 range got the half dose. She said the booster dose was half a dose, which was 50 (or maybe she said .5) and that I was getting half that dose and she said .25 or 25, because I was healthy. So were all the people there in that range.

Double checking the paperwork on my vaccine passport, the dosage isn't recorded.

That's what I got. I was told that Ontario has a shortage of Pfizer, so it's being saved for the kids. I have now had all three.
You’re not concerned about not being considered fully vaccinated again? I’m worried it’ll be ground hog’s day with cruise lines and countries arbitrarily deciding that 3 doses is now fully vaxxed and that 3 different vaccines is not acceptable.

Just posting that when my son was getting his Vaccine they had Pfizer ready to give him ,,however he mentioned that his second dose was Moderna and they switched the dose out for him and gave him Moderna. (His first dose was Pfizer).
Can you try checking for a place that does Moderna?
Best wishes

Hugs
Mel

Just posting that when my son was getting his Vaccine they had Pfizer ready to give him ,,however he mentioned that his second dose was Moderna and they switched the dose out for him and gave him Moderna. (His first dose was Pfizer).
Can you try checking for a place that does Moderna?
Best wishes

Hugs
Mel
We have no Pfizer here at all, not even for mixed doses. I know someone in the PHU and it’s all gone. Everyone seems convinced they’re “saving Pfizer for the kids” but that can’t be right because the adult and kid doses are different (I thought in make-up and quantity). I’ll wait it out. “Experts” are now back to “1st dose is best dose” all over Twitter, but as Az-Pfizer we’ve all been burned before…

I think she was giving out misleading information. I'm sure they are giving out what is required.

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro...VID-19_vaccine_third_dose_recommendations.pdf
page 12/13

Last edited:
We have no Pfizer here at all, not even for mixed doses. I know someone in the PHU and it’s all gone. Everyone seems convinced they’re “saving Pfizer for the kids” but that can’t be right because the adult and kid doses are different (I thought in make-up and quantity). I’ll wait it out. “Experts” are now back to “1st dose is best dose” all over Twitter, but as Az-Pfizer we’ve all been burned before…

I know in some areas in Ontario they are reserving Pfizer for people under 30. Using Moderna for anyone older. That could be where people got they are “reserving” for kids from.

I agree that I wouldn’t want 3 different kinds.

Sorry Madame
I got it wrong hon
I thought you were looking for Moderna when you are actually looking for Pfizer.
Where I am there are way more places giving Pfizer than Moderna.
Best wishes and yeah I wouldn't want three different types.
Hugs Hon,
Mel

You’re not concerned about not being considered fully vaccinated again? I’m worried it’ll be ground hog’s day with cruise lines and countries arbitrarily deciding that 3 doses is now fully vaxxed and that 3 different vaccines is not acceptable.
I was signed up for Pfizer, but when I got there, I was told that they were only giving Moderna. DH also got Moderna, even though he was supposed to be getting Pfizer. He got his in Milton at the vaccine clinic.

I am worried about not being fully vaccinated and about being denied entry some place. I didn't have any choices beyond walking out of the place and rebooking for March. I wasn't willing to wait that long. And who knows what will be available then, too.

I'm really disappointed with Ontario's systems for vaccines. My sister is in Sk. She's younger than me and has gotten all Pfizer every time and every one of her doses has been before mine. And yes, I've used all my FP+ skills to get appointments for these vaccines and then, this time, to be told they've changed it up.

I was signed up for Pfizer, but when I got there, I was told that they were only giving Moderna. DH also got Moderna, even though he was supposed to be getting Pfizer. He got his in Milton at the vaccine clinic.

I am worried about not being fully vaccinated and about being denied entry some place. I didn't have any choices beyond walking out of the place and rebooking for March. I wasn't willing to wait that long. And who knows what will be available then, too.

I'm really disappointed with Ontario's systems for vaccines. My sister is in Sk. She's younger than me and has gotten all Pfizer every time and every one of her doses has been before mine. And yes, I've used all my FP+ skills to get appointments for these vaccines and then, this time, to be told they've changed it up.

Hi Hon
Which is so weird as we are 10 min drive to Milton and I have received 6 different pharmacy *book your appointment* emails,, I even got one today for an appointment 5 minutes away at Shoppers Drug Mart for Pfizer for Dec 26th. 8 times to choose from.
Best wishes
Hugs
Mel

I share your frustration and am very angry that I let DH talk me out of scheduling a booster in Fl - we were right there in Walgreens 😒. He wanted everything in Ontario, didn’t want to mess with going the out-of-prov/country route 🙄

I heard a doctor call that combo a "hat trick" of vaccines. When I mentioned it to DH he said we should have waited and taken a Moderna shot so we could have had the "hat trick". I was just happy to get whatever I was offered first.

I believe they were reporting the other day that Moderna is quite effective against the Omicron variant so you've got that going for you.

Hi Hon
Which is so weird as we are 10 min drive to Milton and I have received 6 different pharmacy *book your appointment* emails,, I even got one today for an appointment 5 minutes away at Shoppers Drug Mart for Pfizer for Dec 26th. 8 times to choose from.
Best wishes
Hugs
Mel
I get those emails, too, but no appointments are showing up for me.

When I was trying to book all last week, everything was waitlisted. And, being in Halton, I'm not allowed to use the Ontario booking system, so I had to take what they gave me.

Here's the kicker... we were booked for boosters at our Shoppers on the afternoon of dec 16. We showed up, only to be told we had to wait 2 days, because that was only 166 days from our 2nd shot. That night, it was reported that Ford changed it to 84 days. Of course, by that day, Shoppers were all waitlisted. They refused to rebook me and said the shot that had been allocated for me would go to a waitlisted person, so it wasn't even like it would be an extra in the batch (which is why they couldn't book me in on the Friday). Anyway, I was lucky to get in on Dec 22 on the Halton system, but only because the 18+ people hadn't started booking yet.

Maybe they've opened spots up, now? I hope so.

Also, when is my 17.5 year old going to qualify for a booster?

Yes, boosters are available to all now, providing you're 6 months out from your second dose. DH and my elderly sister got theirs last Tuesday at the pharmacy in our doctor's office. I need to talk to my doctor about whether or not I'm eligible or if a booster is necessary. I was mixed-vaxxed (AZ and Moderna) so I got a second Moderna in September for a total of 3 already on-board.
5 months out they are saying now 🥰 got mine Wednesday Dec 22, all went well. Sore arm, mild nausea and tired for day or 2 but that was it.

I heard a doctor call that combo a "hat trick" of vaccines. When I mentioned it to DH he said we should have waited and taken a Moderna shot so we could have had the "hat trick". I was just happy to get whatever I was offered first.

I believe they were reporting the other day that Moderna is quite effective against the Omicron variant so you've got that going for you.
Just 6 months ago they were scoffing at “vaccine collectors” and the WHO was telling the public not to. I understand I sound like the tinfoil hat brigade, but they tell the public what they need to to shift inventory.

I get those emails, too, but no appointments are showing up for me.

When I was trying to book all last week, everything was waitlisted. And, being in Halton, I'm not allowed to use the Ontario booking system, so I had to take what they gave me.

Here's the kicker... we were booked for boosters at our Shoppers on the afternoon of dec 16. We showed up, only to be told we had to wait 2 days, because that was only 166 days from our 2nd shot. That night, it was reported that Ford changed it to 84 days. Of course, by that day, Shoppers were all waitlisted. They refused to rebook me and said the shot that had been allocated for me would go to a waitlisted person, so it wasn't even like it would be an extra in the batch (which is why they couldn't book me in on the Friday). Anyway, I was lucky to get in on Dec 22 on the Halton system, but only because the 18+ people hadn't started booking yet.

Maybe they've opened spots up, now? I hope so.

Also, when is my 17.5 year old going to qualify for a booster?
The Ontario system is broken. We can’t use the provincial system either so it’s refresh refresh refresh on the Walmart/Costco site where we can definitely get Pfizer.

They actually refused us Moderna at the PHU site for dose #2 (I knew there would be Pfizer shortages going forward - there was one in June when we got dose 2). “You received AZ - all AZ first dose recipients are receiving Pfizer as 2nd dose”. Fast forward 6 months… 🙄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter