"The Feast of Maximum Occupancy" - Reviews - Flying Fish w/pix

Enjoyed your review as always but just had to give my wholehearted support to this:

A 28 minute bus ride later, we got to the Pleasure Island (PI) bus stop. Rant On: Pleasure Island is gone. It is no more, as sad as that may be for some of us. Shut off the giant lighted PI sign, rename the place, and move on. It is misleading, and just a reminder of the disappointment experienced when it closed. Move on WDW, move on. You decided to close it, so put it to bed and move on to something else. Rant Off.

AMEN BROTHER!!! :thumbsup2

The Cabana Bar & Beach Club (poolside at the Dolphin)

Halloween night, we had originally planned to take the girls to DTD for some trick or treating. Seeing the crowds and rapid candy depletion that occurred firsthand the evening prior, we scoped out some other alternatives. Several WDW resorts were doing things for Halloween, but all the info we saw on that said it was for guests of that specific resort. As it turns out, the Swolphin also had a Halloween thing going on, both Friday and Saturday nights. As 2 adults in our 5 person party had mentioned trying The Cabana this visit, and as the weather forecast was clear for the night, we decided to give it a go at the Swolphin. That’s how we ended up at The Cabana.

(Notes about the Swolphin Halloween activities:
Not bad at all. Not a huge layout, but they had a costume contest, face painting, a DJ, cookie decorating, pumpkin decorating, and a few stops for Halloween candy. Not a big blowout party by any means, but nice activities that occupied about an hour of the evening for us. I can’t say I would go out of the way to attend next year, but if we were staying at the Swolphin then, on Halloween, then we’d certainly be fine doing it again).

After doing most of the activities there, we headed to The Cabana for dinner. Beginning Friday, and continuing on Saturday, the Cabana servers were dressed up in costumes. We saw several costumes, including a giant beer, Wonder Woman (no Golden Lasso comments please), and Julius Caesar. We picked a spot to the right side of the bar, near the semi-covered gazebo thing containing the large screen television, in case any scary or campy movies would be showing during the party. Though having the giant beer wait on us would have been quite an event (because I could have finally worked the Simpsons phrase “Sure thing, giant beer” into a real conversation) we ended up with Caesar as our server for the evening. And he was superb. First, we perused the special Halloween drink menu below.

cabanadrinkmenu.jpg

As you can see, there were several specials to be had, but I went for the bloody mary special. Yes, it was indeed 3 bloody mary’s, each about half the size of a regular one, for $12. And yes, you could order them as spicy as you like. I found them to be quite nice, with a decent spice/heat that didn’t mask the tomato and vodka goodness. The garnish being lime wedges and a cherry bomb pepper, I expected a certain level of heat. Mrs. P got a seasonal beer, and declared the autumn flavors to be very good. The third adult with us had one sip of the mild bloody mary and declared ‘this porridge is too hot’, and quickly slid it my way, and soon was drinking a vodka tonic of her own. The girls enjoyed a couple of virgin pina coladas.

Robert P’s Magic Moment of Surreality: :cloud9:
I’m sitting at a patio table, poolside, with tiki torches afire, drinking an incredibly well made bloody mary (the first of three), served by Julius Caesar, when I hear ‘that music’. The first item of the night that they were showing, was “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” on the big screen television. Perfect temperature, nice breeze, hazy sunset sky, and I get to watch a Peanuts special. I declared for the table that ‘it doesn’t get any better than this’. :)

Skipping appetizers this evening, we went straight to the entrees. From the kid’s menu, the girls ordered the pepperoni pizza, and the chicken fingers with fries. The pizza was good, the chicken was very good (white meat, and not overcooked).

cabanakidspizza.jpg

cabanakidschixnuggets.jpg

The adults opted for the grilled chicken BLT, a cheeseburger, and I had the BBQ chicken flatbread.

Spooky Chicken BLT

cabanadarkclt.jpg

Regular Chicken BLT

cabanaclt.jpg

Spooky Cheeseburger

cabanadarkburger.jpg

Regular Cheeseburger

cabanaburger.jpg

The chicken BLT was said to be excellent. The cheeseburger was raved about (between the Fountain and the Cabana, the Dolphin serves, IMHO, the best burgers at WDW), and this one was cooked medium well as ordered. This burger absolutely blows away any that we've had at Beaches & Cream or Big River Grill.

Note: bloody mary cups in various stages of emptiness, and the partially eaten cherry bomb peppers from the garnish.

cabanabbqpizza.jpg

The BBQ chicken flatbread was delicious on top, with a nice sweet BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, cheese, a few thinly sliced peppers (greek or pepperincini) and the lightly dressed greens for garnish really made for a nice flavor. My only complaint, if I had one, was that the flatbread was really really flat, as in I think it was just a large flour tortilla. While crispy and delicious, it's not exactly what I would call a flatbread.

We skipped dessert, as some members of our party had been digging into the trick or treat candy (Snickers I believe). I do not have the receipt on this meal, but the DVC discount is accepted there, and we enjoyed savings of 20%, though I believe only on the food portion.

Summary: :thumbsup2
An excellent location for a very good meal. Better than average value, as WDW eateries go. Nothing too exotic in our selections, but it was all very tasty, and well made. Service was top notch, and was rewarded as such. The setting, outside in Florida with a nice breeze blowing, out by the pool, was almost hypnotic in its own right. The DVC discount makes this a keeper when staying at the Swolphin, and it will slip into our rotation alongside The Fountain, due to the unpredictability of rainy weather in FL. Next visit, if the weather holds clear, we will likely be back there again.

Next Up: Yachtsman Steakhouse

I love reviews from those that aren't on the dining plan - we get to see a lot of places that usually don't get a lot of mention here on the boards.

I had a burger from The Fountain, and I couldn't agree more. It was a tasty burger. But I have to say the best burger I ever had was in Vegas, a little over a week ago. But for Disney? I would definitely stick with the Dolphin.

I'd like to try Fulton's, especially for lunch, since I can flash the DVC card. Nice. :thumbsup2

All caught up! I really enjoy reading the reviews about the non-dining plan places....it's a nice change.

(between the Fountain and the Cabana, the Dolphin serves, IMHO, the best burgers at WDW),

Preach it, brother !

Testify !! :woohoo:

I love reviews from those that aren't on the dining plan - we get to see a lot of places that usually don't get a lot of mention here on the boards.

All caught up! I really enjoy reading the reviews about the non-dining plan places....it's a nice change.

I agree. Anything off the beaten path of the dining plan seems to get much less attention around here. This trip, we ended up eating at most of the Swolphin restaurants, except for Splash Grill and Kimonos. And I still have reviews coming later for The Fountain, Il Mulino, and Garden Grove (breakfast). Hopefully, those will help some of the other out of the way places get some much needed attention.

(between the Fountain and the Cabana, the Dolphin serves, IMHO, the best burgers at WDW),

Preach it, brother !

Testify !! :woohoo:

Of all the burgers we've tried at WDW, these have been the best, and most consistent. The fada burger at Raglan Road was next on our list.

I guess I just don't get it. Everyone has preferences, but most people seem to rave about the burgers at Beaches & Cream. I've had burgers there, twice now, and they were fine, but nothing remarkable. :confused3
I don't know if the Dolphin makes theirs with fresh ground beef, or if they have a supplier using a better grade of beef in their frozen patties, but they just seem to ace it every time. :thumbsup2 Throw in some great onion rings, and that's a meal I can live with.

There's reports that B&C is apparently now using a different quality of meat, and the crumbly Disney wheat buns.

Of all the burgers we've tried at WDW, these have been the best, and most consistent.

Yes, there have been times when we are staying at The Dolphin that we will eat at The Fountain everyday. (And some days, twice)

In addition to the best burgers, they have wonderful flat bread sandwiches (which go by some other name that escapes me at the moment, but the Cuban one is awfully good) and also surprisingly delicious chicken soup, which is at least twice as good as one might expect it to be...

There's reports that B&C is apparently now using a different quality of meat, and the crumbly Disney wheat buns.

I don't recall if the buns at B&C were whole wheat (I'm pretty sure they weren't when we were there in October or I would have crabbed about it) but the meat is definitely different. And as far as I can tell it's the same meat that's being used at ESPN Club and other table service places like the Plaza which is totally inexcusable. Use it for counter service if that's what makes life serving the masses easier, but to serve that crap at a TS and pass it off as something made fresh in the kitchen ... bah! Shame on the Disney Dining Suits ... again.

Sorry for the rant on your thread, Scorpio. :cool2:

REVIEW: Yachtsman Steakhouse

SUMMARY: Yo Ho Hum

This was a Sunday ADR for a party of 5 (3 adults, 2 children) at the prime time of 6:25 p.m. If you’ve never been to the Yachtsman before, let me say that this was a beautiful twilight time for dinner, with the Stormalong Bay lights coming up, and the sun had just set. This was a fraction later than we wanted to eat, as we had hoped to go out afterward, but we took what they had available.

We checked in at the podium at 6:20 p.m., and were told (as always) that it would be just a few minutes. I could see that the restaurant was mostly full as we walked by, and accordingly, this was our longest wait for a table there yet, just over 10 minutes. We were seated along the interior wall, at a large round table. Our server, quickly there, took our drink orders and shuffled off. I don’t have the name in front of me, but the service was fine. Nothing memorable, a bit rushed at first to get our orders in, but otherwise solid.

A few pictures of note:

Cheese Plate:
Was good, but I object to any anonymous ‘cheeses of mystery’.

P1150157.jpg

Kid’s Pasta:
It was every bit as bland and uninspired as it looks. Chinzy on the sauce as well. (Even the cartoon rabbit seems to be trying to add sauce....)

P1150158.jpg

Scallops Appetizer: Well prepared.

P1150162.jpg

Porterhouse:
A 24 oz. slab of meat, cooked to perfection. A good amount went back to the room for later. (Note: I subbed the side).

P1150159.jpg

The Rosetta Stone for the mystery cheeses arrived in the dessert menu. Why can’t these servers figure it out, and give it to the customer when the cheeses arrive. It would have been more useful BEFORE I ATE THE CHEESE!!

P1150164.jpg

This dinner suffered by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Having tried Shula’s a few nights before, I was forced to draw comparisons between the two. While this has long been a debated topic by many on the DIS boards, I feel that by dining at both within a 4 day span, I am in a good position to offer up a recently experienced opinion.

Steak: No contest. Yachtsman was solid, flavor was good, but when compared to Shula’s it just wasn’t the same. The beef at Shula’s had a better flavor, and seemed to be a better cut, based on the steaks I saw and/or sampled both nights.

Preparation: Equal. Both places cooked the steaks as ordered. Nothing burnt, or undercooked, and no noticeable spicing to distinguish either or detract from the natural flavor.

Atmosphere: We enjoyed both, but the Yachtsman had a lighter, and louder, atmosphere. Unlike our Shula’s meal, I was not expecting Shrek to emerge from that cave and share the meal with us. The 'louder' part was not great, but there certainly were more children at the Yachtsman.

Service: While the Shula’s meal started strangely (see previous review), the team service never left us lacking for attention. At the Yachtsman, there were a few lags in timing, and for the second straight meal there, I had no idea what cheeses I was served on the cheese plate (at least while I was eating).

Value: Tough call. The TIW (formerly DDE) discount carries a lot of weight, with 20% off the entire ticket at the Yachtsman. Shula’s has no discounts, and I don’t know of any that have been offered in previous years (the only discount/value I have seen is an early bird special, or the unique S&D dining plan, but both of those limited the choices severely, and several of the choices were not even steak). All things considered, I’d have to give the better value (dollar wise) to the Yachtsman.

SUMMARY:

Good meal. Good service. Not great in any particular aspect. Had we not tried Shula’s a few nights before, this meal may have rated higher. Stacking the two meals side by side though, this meal came in second place, of our steak night dining choices. We will be back, but it probably is going on a one year hiatus from the rotation for our next trip.

Next Up: Flying Fish

Hooray, you haven't abandoned your reviews!

I'm with you on the cheese plate. I would have asked them WTH it was. I'm actually more disturbed that the order on your plate doesn't at all correspond with the order listed on the cheese menu - unless I'm losing my mind, you had (left to right) point reyes, beemster, robiola, and humbolt fog, so they were all mixed up and generally the blue cheese should always be last (right) in a cheese tasting. If the kitchen doesn't know the difference between point reyes and humbolt fog a quick taste would have told them they were off!

Hooray, you haven't abandoned your reviews!

I'm with you on the cheese plate. I would have asked them WTH it was. I'm actually more disturbed that the order on your plate doesn't at all correspond with the order listed on the cheese menu - unless I'm losing my mind, you had (left to right) point reyes, beemster, robiola, and humbolt fog, so they were all mixed up and generally the blue cheese should always be last (right) in a cheese tasting. If the kitchen doesn't know the difference between point reyes and humbolt fog a quick taste would have told them they were off!

"Please forgive the lateness of my reply."

And yes, they screwed up the cheese experience totally. I have felt more informed from a Hickory Farms sampler at the mall.....

Can't wait for FF!!!!!:goodvibes

FF is always one of our favorite meals. Food is always excellent. Service though.....

Glad to see that you're back! I have to admit that while I love a good steak, I have never been tempted in the slightest to try Yachtsmans, and I think that it's because in all of the reviews that I have read of the place, everyone seems distinctly underwhelmed by their experience. I have to wonder why Disney continues to keep this a signature restaurant....seems to me that it's time for a downgrade.

Glad to see that you're back! I have to admit that while I love a good steak, I have never been tempted in the slightest to try Yachtsmans, and I think that it's because in all of the reviews that I have read of the place, everyone seems distinctly underwhelmed by their experience. I have to wonder why Disney continues to keep this a signature restaurant....seems to me that it's time for a downgrade.

For years, I felt the exact same way. We first tried it mainly due to the location, while staying at BCV. The prices are steep (signature restaurant = signature prices), but if the diners keep piling in there, I wager that WDW will keep letting them do it. :confused3 While it was overall a good meal, the prices seemed out of line with the quality.

Lots of money for a slightly above average steak, even by WDW standards.

You were lucky. I waited 45 min past my ADR time at Yachtsman. The more I think of it, the madder I get. When I was finally sat down, I sat for along time with no drink refill, my filet was cooked incorrectly, and I was literally rushed through my meal.

I won't go back. Ever.

Great reviews.... I'm interested in trying new places on our next trip especially some of the ones you have eaten at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter