The Current Disneyland Annual Pass Program Has Been Cancelled

I'm guessing fewer than Disney would like.

Agree! Most AP holders live in So Cal. Everyone knows Disneyland is a locals park: members of social clubs, moms who bring their kids in on weekdays, couples who come for a date night, etc. I’m guessing if you are paying for your AP on a payment plan you aren’t staying on property, especially the GCH. We spend $1000 a day when we visit as a family of four. Local AP holders pay for parking ( if that) an occasional spirit jersey and a corn dog. It’s not the same.

Agree! Most AP holders live in So Cal. Everyone knows Disneyland is a locals park: members of social clubs, moms who bring their kids in on weekdays, couples who come for a date night, etc. I’m guessing if you are paying for your AP on a payment plan you aren’t staying on property, especially the GCH. We spend $1000 a day when we visit as a family of four. Local AP holders pay for parking ( if that) an occasional spirit jersey and a corn dog. It’s not the same.

yes - I mean I know there are definitely APs who DO spend tons, but I think this board is probably a biased representation of your average local. Anecdotally, the friends we know who have APs generally show up for a few hours when they’re looking for something to do.

I thought this was a good, measured take on the situation.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/disneyland-cancels-all-annual-passes/
Also, nobody is mentioning the incredible cost of the write-down that Disney is going to have to take on repaying the passes during this fiscal year. I think a lot of the strategy is to get as many costs out of the way before 10/1/2021 when the next fiscal year begins.

I have read through the scenarios on https://Disneyland.com/PassportRefund and have a question about folks that upgraded tickets to Passports. I am assuming the “Total Amount paid toward a Passport” in their calculations is only the difference right? Otherwise I would end up getting back not only what I paid to upgrade but some of what I paid toward my original 5-day park hoppers.
I have the same question, we upgraded our park tickets, so I’m curious if we get the full allotted refund amount or just a percentage of what we actually paid in cash to upgrade. I also haven’t seen anything about whether or not maxpass is included in the refunds, but may have just missed it?

yes - I mean I know there are definitely APs who DO spend tons, but I think this board is probably a biased representation of your average local. Anecdotally, the friends we know who have APs generally show up for a few hours when they’re looking for something to do.

I am agreeing with you 100%. I am not a local and do not have an AP. Most AP holders do exactly what you say.

I have the same question, we upgraded our park tickets, so I’m curious if we get the full allotted refund amount or just a percentage of what we actually paid in cash to upgrade. I also haven’t seen anything about whether or not maxpass is included in the refunds, but may have just missed it?

Yes, it says it on the further information page that we're supposed to get prorated refunds for all add ons too. And it reads as if we should see refunds for anything paid in excess of usable time:

Disneyland.com/PassportRefund

My rough calculations (cost of AP divided by 365 then cost per day times number of days active; subtract that number from amount paid so far to get estimate refund amount) show my mom and I should be getting back roughly $415 each. We were monthly, but with a down payment of a 5 day PH w/MP plus three monthly payments to date. I'm not holding my breath as I've previously mentioned, but hopefully it'll go smooth.

My heart is still shattered, though, at the same time my brain wonders if Disney will get the refunds done correctly.

This is my concern (and very glad for your comment to latch on to because I'm this close to silencing several people who are showing a distinct lack of respect for those deeply upset over this).

The language sounds like we should get a refund for anything in excess, but after the mess WDW refunds were, I'm not holding my breath and expect those in that position will need to call eventually to get things sorted.
I agree! I didn't have time to review the terms, but I was able to talk her off her ledge.

And I know what you mean about insensitive people. We all have our breaking points. It's easy to laugh at someone for being "hyperbolic" over losing a Disneyland AP if they don't hold it to the same value. Kind of like how I have no interest in watching football in person, but for someone else, losing that was a devastating blow to their normal lives. We could all use a bit more understanding and empathy. Otherwise we will just stay sour, angry people making snarky comments to each other.

Big hugs to you. One day we can all hopefully come back to a sense of normalcy and be back home at our happy place. ❤️

Covid and Gov upset the apple cart and Disney is trying to optimize best way forward. As a Flexpass holder and DVC-GCV owner, not so thrilled our plans will need revision as DLR reopens. SOME form of AP will reappear as capacity returns to normalcy.

So DLR reopens at 25% capacity - 85,000 = 21,250.
DLR hotel capacity: ~2600 rooms average 3.5 per room = 9000

Disney absolutely needs to fill their hotels as the best way forward to maximize per visitor day dollars. Even at 100% capacity, it needs 11,000 daily visits. The weekends can be filled readily with visitors supported by neighborhood hotels paying near full fare tickets. But low season? That's where the APs really came in to fill up the park.

Short term tickets a la SoCal 3day tickets will probably do the trick with weekend blackouts as we turn up the capacity over 2021.

2022: APs modified flex pass version to return and probably top tier Premier Passport.

We spent over $10000 at Disneyland in 2019 as a local, AP family of 4. And yes, we did the monthly payment option. Our payment was around $400/month.

Rumor has it that there are (were) over 1 million annual passholders. Figure they allocated 10,000 AP park passes (which is probably on the high side), you could get in Disneyland or DCA like once every 50 days.

So let’s say they let AP hold 2 days of reservations. By the time you went to the parks on your 2 days, the park passes would be booked for at least the next 2 or 3 months out.

It’d be more cost-effective to buy multi day tickets.

I've always heard that there were closer to 10M AP holders.

agreed. The 1 million number is complete nonsense. It was far higher than that number. I live in Seattle and saw many of those annual pass holders stickers on co-workers bookcases. Alaska alone has 10 flights a day into SNA

I would be absolutely shocked if they only give credit for the upgrade amount.

Upgrade APs are back-dated to the date that you first used the multi-day ticket - essentially pretending you bought the AP on day 1. And, typically, the amount you paid for the upgrade varied based on what you paid for the initial ticket. If they only refund the upgrade amount, people who started with a 1-Day/1-Park ticket would get a bigger refund than someone who started with a multi-day parkhopper, which wouldn't make sense.

And, honestly, I can't imagine that they know if an AP was upgraded or not, and/or how much the person paid for the upgrade. In their system, it likely just says that they have an AP that started on X-date and expires on Y-Date. There are so many ways that people can buy tickets (and so many varying prices), I'd wager pretty heavily that they'll just use a stock price for each AP and base the refund off of that, rather than try to do individual calculations.

It's very early in the game, obviously, and none of us know what Disney's plans are for the various "memberships" that will be offered. Disney probably doesn't even know yet. There's been a lot of buzz about all (or at least many) of the new membership levels requiring advanced reservations, though. Indeed, there's been talk of that since DW implemented it last July. Certainly I hope that's not true. As many of you know, I'd nearly always go to DL on Sundays. However, often during the week I'd treat myself to a Wednesday or Friday visit on the spur of the moment. Losing that spontaneity would make me sad and certainly some of the Disney magic would wither in the process.

Something else that occurs to me is that perhaps Disney is interested in doing away with people that visit the park daily or almost daily. I'm thinking specifically of people like Peter Tu, A.K.A. The Clapper Guy. He's recognized by both CMs and guests, as many readers here know. I'm from Chicago and from 1960 - 1990, there was a guy much like Peter who'd attend virtually all of the White Sox's home games. He'd come dressed as a clown, soon became widely known as Andy the Clown and was locally famous much in the same way that Peter is at DL. People took pics with him and he was hailed and greeted all day long. However, when the old ball park was torn down and the new one was opened in 1991, Sox management made it clear to Andy that he was not welcome back as ATC. He could attend games out of costume but they stripped him of his local celebrity and thereby his raison d'être. He only attended a few games after that. Many people felt that was petty, mean and was done largely because Andy didn't work for the Sox and therefore couldn't be controlled by the organization. I wonder if there's some feeling at Disney that they dislike people such as Peter or Adam the Woo and they'd like to eliminate them simply so they don't steal any part of the Disney spotlight. Making reservations a permanent requirement would likely accomplish that, intentionally or otherwise. I may be completely off the mark but this isn't an unlikely scenario. Maybe it's been something they've wanted to do for awhile and now have the opportunity to clean house and blame it on COVID.

I feel a bit sad and cynical tonight in light of the AP news. It takes less to get me down these days and I imagine many of you have felt similarly since the pandemic began. I loved my Disney Sunday routine and don't want to lose it. Indeed, the reopening of Disneyland has been a source of hope for me, as it has been for others, I suspect. The idea of them messing with something that brought me so much joy makes me unhappy.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter