The 24 Hour Event is an Insomniac's Dream - Solo Trip Report May 2015

StLDisFan

Mouseketeer
(first) INTRODUCTIONS:
oh hello.gif
Welcome to a trip report of many firsts! This is my first time ever writing one (please let me off easy, I'm not sure how to approach these yet). This is also my first time at the 24 hour event AND Star Wars Weekends. First time visits to Sanaa, Flying Fish, Traders Sam's (sort of) and BOG breakfast as well as some not so first visits to Crystal Palace, Via Napoli and Hoop Dee Doo Revue! Plus a full grown man's temper tantrum in the park, bliss on the Boardwalk, chaos at DTD and more!!
DSC08525 (2) (1024x693).jpg
I really don't like talking about me and I have a lack of photographs to prove it, but here is this gem from the trip... DSC08478 (2).JPG
But seeing as how this is a solo trip, I figure I will have to be mentioned from time to time... A little about me: I am a 29y/o from St. Louis. I love to travel, drink coffee, watch sports, and just enjoy the subtle and simple things in life. Although I grew up with Disney (a family trip to WDW and DLR, Disney Channel in the 90s, PIXAR and the Disney Renaissance) I lost touch with Mickey and the gang by the time I got into high school. Long story short, after trials and tribulations, I finally came across these Boards, YouTube channels and a few other blogs to help me not only find some happiness but to rekindle that love for Disney that I had unknowingly missed while growing up.

When I finally had earned enough money for my first solo trip in 2012, I arrived at the MK (straight from a 16 hour drive from STL to the park), approached Main Street and when I caught my first glance at Cinderella Castle I immediately started balling. I knew it was a part of who I was and would be from that moment on. I have taken annual solo trips since then and have fallen head over heels in love with all things Disney, from the parks to the history, movies from the beginning up til now, and so much more. I am happy to now call myself 'passionate about Disney' and am always looking forward to exploring and sharing the magic!

And here is a slight glimpse into my Disney favs (Thanks @OhioStateBuckeye for this!):
  • Favorite Park: Was EPCOT growing up, but now MK (especially as a last guest in the park)
  • Favorite Characters to Meet: I actually don't like Character meet and greets (especially 'face' ones), but I might make an exception for Mickey or Pooh though.
  • Favorite Movie: Classic – Peter Pan, Childhood – Aladdin, PIXAR – Toy Story, Live – Mary Poppins. Fun fact, I am currently trying to watch/rank EVERY Disney movie ever made; I am at 189!
  • Favorite Nighttime Show: IllumiNations (although Celebrate the Magic is really impressive), Wishes/The Kiss Goodnight if I am looking to become an emotional wreck
  • Favorite Counter Service/Snack: Hard to believe but I am struggling to rank any snacks. Yes, their popcorn and Mickey Bars are sprinkled with pixie dust but nothing stands out. I actually prefer the Citrus Swirl over a Dole Whip Float though and I conflicted in my new found appreciation for the cro-nut. Wait.... I got it! Any bread pudding anywhere on property (preferably Sunshine seasons)
  • Favorite Disney transportation: Do the PeopleMovers count? If not the tram rides into the parks or the ferry boat on my way out of MK on my last night
  • Favorite Disney horse: such a random thought (hahah) but probably Bullseye!
  • Favorite Hotel: only stayed at values so definitely POP Century. But if we are talking generalities probably POFQ, Wilderness Lodge, AKL, or the Poly... or......
In short, I have way to many favorites to give short, concise answers. Hahaha

Apart from who I am, I guess you might want to know a little bit more about this trip. Well it actually goes back to my first trip in 2012, on the second night there when I was literally the last guest in the park. I was leaving the turnstiles and I thought to myself, “it would be soooo amazing to simply spend an entire day there...” MK is my new favorite park and my absolutely happy place is Main Street when nobody else is there, with nothing but background music and appreciative CMs to keep me company as they are cleaning up for the night. I love that feeling! Since that trip I have wanted to take part in the 24 hour event, but my job doesn't exactly present May as a good vacation month. HOWEVER, the planets all aligned this year and I was going to make sure I took advantage as I wasn't sure if I would be (and willing) able to do it in future years.

SIDE NOTE: I am a terrible photographer....
DSC09248 (2).JPG
but the following sections of this TR (after the travel day) will definitely have a ton more pictures. Here's proof!
DSC08122 (2) (575x1024).jpg

Finally, here was my itinerary:
  • Thursday (5/21) – Travel to Disney
  • Friday (5/22) – 24 hour event at the MK
  • Saturday (5/23) – Star Wars Weekend
  • Sunday (5/24) – Recovery morning / AK /AKL / DTD
  • Monday (5/25) – Easy day at EPCOT
  • Tuesday (5/26) – Last day at MK
  • Wednesday (5/27) – Travel home
windsintheeast.gif

Last edited:
So excited to hear about your trip! I want to do the 24 hour event next year!

Thanks for following along! The 24 Hour event was awesome! Definitely has it's pros and cons, but it is definitely something every fan should check out at least once :-)

I'm here! I think it's great you did the questionnaire too!! And oh gosh, whenever I'm there for the kiss goodnight it is always just such a waste. It would be immediate tears so I always force myself to try to think of something else real quick so I never get to fully enjoy it because I'm desperately trying to think of something else. Next time I'll just put my sunglasses on even though it's dark. If anyone questions me I'll just tell them 'I wear my sunglasses at night' and leave it at that.

I'm excited to hear about the 24 hour day and the SWW day!!

CUE THE 'HOME ALONE' MUSIC:
(*WARNING* this post is text heavy due to lack of photos while traveling. There will be a definite shift to photo-heavy posts after this.)

For as laid back as I tend to be, I have been known to do some some crazy things from time to time, like: booking my first ever trip to WDW only one week out from going, driving home from Pittsburgh after catching my college's basketball game on the eve of my finals, impromptu driving with the guys to Panama City and showing up uninvited to a friend's beach house hoping to crash there during spring break, buying a (fixer upper) house with zero home repair skills/abilities.... You get the idea.

But the one that sat most uneasy with me was booking this last trip to Disney. Not really anything with the events when I got there, but rather my gambling with fate on the journey there. The last two times I have driven, I have run over tires on the highway while getting there and screwed up my car, the last time I flew down there my car's battery wouldn't start and I nearly missed my flight. This time? I was planning on going straight from the office to the airport to catch the last flight out of St. Louis to show up super late to Disney on the eve of the 24 hour event.... without purchasing trip insurance (first time not doing it). What could possibly go wrong? A car breakdown, traffic, bad weather, plane issues, any mishap would have probably put me on the first flight out the next day, thus missing the start of the 24 hour event, thus ruining my mini-dream/bucket list item, thus getting my trip off on the worst foot possible. John Williams, if you please?

My flight was scheduled to take off at 8pm with my leaving the office around 6pm. Traffic jams in certain areas around the city are common at that hour, plus it would take ~30 minutes to get to the airport. Add shuttle service and a security check point and it wasn't exactly a stroll in the park to make this flight. I should also add that I almost never fly (so naturally I over-estimate everything and am still one of those people who prefer to show up 2 hours early for flights just to make sure I am there in enough time). What time do you show up for a flight?

I got off to a bad start when I didn't leave the office until well after 6pm. Does anyone else hate when you are wrapping up at the end of the day and all those “little things” that need to be addressed take longer than expected? Yeah me too! But once I wrapped up everything, I headed to my car only to find..... everything was perfectly fine. Double checked my suitcase, my camera gear and that I had my paperwork (I am sure I looked a little weird in the parking lot hahah). The next hurdle was the dreaded traffic..... which actually turned out to be a non-issue. I had done “mock trips” to the airport in weeks past to get a feel for the time/traffic, but apparently if you stick around the office late enough you will miss the evening rush hour. Who knew?!? :drive:Got to the airport parking lot only to find that it was “full”. I didn't want to have to pay the few bucks a day extra just to park a quarter mile closer but as I was leaving the lot, the shuttle driver flagged me down, told me to park in “the back lot” and that he would wait for me! :woohoo: Instead of trying to build more 'anticipation' I will just say that I made it through security and the flight just fine. I want to get to good stuff...

So my flight arrived at MCO 25 minutes 'early'! While that was nice of Southwest to get me there so promptly, knowing I was going to value every minute of sleep I could get that night, Disney's Magical Express seemed to have a different feeling on the matter. My flight was due in at 11:20 but arrived at 10:55. I carry-on so it was straight to DME (after getting slightly turned around), checked in and got on the bus.... only to wait until 11:58pm for the bus to depart!!! o_O Now I would understand leaving the airport at midnight if my flight arrived on time, but we waited for well over 45 minutes for the bus to depart. The reason I bring this up is that I overheard an upset parent complaining about the wait and the driver mentioned that it was policy that “buses wait for no more than 30 minutes”. In the very fitting words of Kronk,“riiiiiggggghhhhtttt......”.
riiiiight-o.gif
I was going to purchase a new Mickey watch on this trip, but now this guy was going to get the Christmas present instead! :laughing:

Again, I am generally laid back, and quite honestly it didn't really get to me, but I throw that out there to people in case they were wondering about DME departure times (note: I did not verify this point, so someone please correct me if I am wrong). However, when you work a ridiculously long work week, stress about getting there, worry about how little sleep you are going to get that night, and then that happens, could you blame me if I felt frustrated?

Truth be told I wasn't frustrated until I went to check in at my home away from home for the trip: All-Star Sports! I got off the bus along with a few other patrons at around 12:45am and headed to check in... THANKFULLY I got in the check-in line when I did because just after doing so all of a sudden this tumultuous noise erupted from down the hall.... I kid you not, all of a sudden dozens of screaming/chanting Brazilian kids (and maybe 2 or 3 adults that I saw) spilled into the poor little check-in line!!
start panicking.gif
I don't know where they came from but the look of bewilderment from the Japanese couple behind me and the terror of the older couple who walked into the lobby after the Brazil group and the astonishment of CMs caught off guard made the lobby feel like it was a busy summer afternoon. I must be part villain because I just looked around at every one else's hilarious faces and just had a nice chuckle to myself.
tumblr_m0mfefsuAP1qe5vzdo5_250.gif
That was until 20 minutes later, check in was taking a ridiculously long time! Honestly there were only a few people in front of me with three CMs helping check people in. It should not have taken as long as it did. But to add to it, the separate “online check-in” line had no CMs there and after seeing much of their frustration I politely let 2 families get in front of me in line (hoping for some extra pixie dust and good vibes for the trip). My check in process took maybe four or five minutes tops, but once I was all set to go, I promise it is nothing but smiles, laughter, joy and excitement from here on out (mostly)!

Unfortunately, I did not take any pics of my room (or resort) on this trip. It is a generic All Star resort room and there really isn't much to them. Here are a few pics I took in 2012 (also from 'Sports)
DSC00793 (1024x575) (2).jpg DSC00796 (1024x575) (2).jpg
but I was a bit surprised to see the many changes to the room since my last stay (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/all-star-sports-resort/rates-rooms/ . New covers, flooring and paint made it seem slightly updated, but still generic overall. I will say though that I really like the facades of the buildings at 'Sports, as on one of the nights I returned home and stood in the baseball section, just repeatedly saying 'WOW!' to myself; that section really felt like a ballpark. I know they are garish and obtrusive and not everyone's cup of tea, but for a value resort, they definitely speak more to my “inner child” then any of the Mods or Deluxes If you are looking for nothing more than the basics: bed, shower, a pool and food court, then the All Stars are perfect. I can't imagine staying off property to save $10 bucks and lose the Disney perks and more importantly “The Disney Bubble.”

And quickly while still on the subject matter, I think this will probably be the last time I do stay at the All Stars (unless in a pinch). I know I just said that they speak to my inner child, but the problem for me is that it also speaks to children in general. Obviously the All Star resorts (heck all of Disney World) has a focus on kids, but I wish there was a value resort with a more “adult friendly” vibe to it. POP Century is definitely a step up (with it's own bus and walk-ability to AoA), but since I still can't really afford the Mods or Deluxes, I think it will be POP from here on out. The amount of noise and chaos that comes with the All Star Resorts is a little too off-putting for a solo traveler. While they are fun, I prefer a more peaceful and relaxing atmosphere at the resorts.

Anywho, after getting into my room some time after 1am, unpacking and checking camera gear and getting my fix of Stacey's Must Dos, I promptly went to bed..... and stared at my alarm clock wide awake until some time after 3am....
panclock.gif

I'm here! I think it's great you did the questionnaire too!! And oh gosh, whenever I'm there for the kiss goodnight it is always just such a waste. It would be immediate tears so I always force myself to try to think of something else real quick so I never get to fully enjoy it because I'm desperately trying to think of something else. Next time I'll just put my sunglasses on even though it's dark. If anyone questions me I'll just tell them 'I wear my sunglasses at night' and leave it at that.

I'm excited to hear about the 24 hour day and the SWW day!!

Nothing gets as immediate a reaction as the Kiss Goodnight from me, with the exception of walking in to One Man's Dream. Seriously I hear that twinkling and the chorus starts and I get chocked up. I usually try to find a quiet spot to have the moment to myself. Although on this past trip it came on in the middle of taking a 30 sec photo with CMs nearby. Nowhere to hide but when I looked over at them all teary-eyed they had the biggest smiles on their face. They definitely 'understood' me and that was really cool. And since I already "look weird" being a 30y/o male going solo, crying isn't too far of a stretch :laughing:; I'm not going to let peeps I don't even know ruin my favorite moments while at Disney :-)

I'm a few days late to show up, but great start to your trip! Looking forward to reading about the rest of it. :yay:

Last edited:
I'm a few days late to show up, but great start to your trip! Looking forward to reading about the rest of it. :yay:

Things have been a bit crazy at work, BUT I will be starting it back up in earnest as I have a 4 day weekend starting Thursday!!! :cool1: Thanks for joining in! Can't wait to share some more photos and and thoughts with ya'll :thumbsup2

The Start of the "Coolest Summer Ever"!!!

Oh the joys of insomnia! You would think that a long work day (week) with some travel at the end of it would make you even remotely tired, but as one who struggles to fall asleep (usually around 2 or 3am) I was hoping to catch a break that night... But let's be honest with ourselves, I just arrived for my Disney vacation! How could I possibly sleep when I was now within that Disney bubble?? I got off to a semi-rough start with my arrival, but I refuse to sweat the small stuff; I was so geeked out and ready to party with Mickey!

One would think that getting ~1.5 hours of sleep would have set me back, caused me to sleep in, or even sleep through my alarms (my biggest fear). But do I need to reiterate it? I WAS AT DISNEY WORLD!! Can you tell how excited I was? hahaha :yay::woohoo::thumbsup2 I got up at 4:15am and got ready quickly. I had heard that lines would start at the bus stops at 4:30, and I didn't want to be at the end of it. Needless to say, when I walked out front of 'Sports, I couldn't believe it... I was the first in line at 4:40! There were a few people sitting on the benches next to the building, but I will lay claim to being #1! If you have ever been to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween, that was the first feeling I had that morning. So many people were dressed up, it was a great feeling, knowing that I was surrounded by the most passionate of Disney fans. Right behind me in line were a couple of locals who wanted that “full immersion” so they stayed overnight and even dressed up as Lilo and Jack Sparrow. It was great conversing with them about our love for Disney. It certainly helped pass the time because before I knew it, a bus pulled up at 5am, filled up quickly and we were on our way to the Magic Kingdom!!!

We arrived at the bus station (first time back since they finished the remodel, they did a fantastic job with it!), and the speed-walk dash was on. Every step built up the anticipation. Every step was one step closer to the start of my Coolest Summer Ever. Once within view of the gates though, I was amazed to see that there was already a decent crowd up at the train station. I suppose if you want to truly be one of the first, a walk from the Contemporary or driving would have been your best option, but I couldn't complain about my spot.
DSC08018 (2) (1024x575).jpg
I was located directly under the tree on the left hand side, which is a great spot to be at as you are in a prime position for the “mad dash.” However, while I am sure most people's agenda was either straight to the Emporium or to Seven Dwarves Mine Train, I took a slow and steady pace from the get go. I really didn't even have my camera out much as I just wanted to soak in those first few minutes.
DSC08022 (2) (1024x589).jpg
Disney's 24 hour (+2 minutes) Event

I wasn't sure how I wanted to implement it in here (but since it's my TR I will do as I please), but I figure it will help with understanding the day a little better, so I will include my intended hourly itinerary (for this portion of the day) and then build off of it in the narration:
Friday
4:15-4:30 Get up and get ready for the best day ever!!
MY 24 HOURS
6-6:20 Space Mountain
6:20-6:45 Photograph Sunrise (6:31am)
6:45-7:30 Astro Orbiter
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Tomorrowland Speedway
7:30-7:40 Check in for ADR
7:40-8:40 Breakfast at Crystal Palace

Now I mention the itinerary because I am sure some will want to know my “plan of attack” for the day; but honestly, it didn't take me very long to deviate from said plan. Granted, I was planning to stay in the park for the full 24 and could make adjustments, but if you were only staying for part of it, then I would encourage you to stick to your itinerary as much as possible to get the most out of the event.

While having a plan is fairly helpful, I would definitely set goals for the day as well. Plans can change, but goals really do not, what matters is how you get there. I am sure that each true fan that was there that day had a goal or two in mind. Riding every ride. Meeting every character. Taking a picture with a clock on the hour every hour. Like any other goals in life, trying to meet them will help keep you focused and I know my goals helped keep me motivated, especially when I hit “the wall.” My goals for the event were:
  • Be there and be awake for the full 24 hours
  • Ride every. single. ride. and catch as many attractions/shows as possible
  • Enjoy every single moment and STAY POSITIVE despite the tiredness, heat, crowds I would have to endure for 24 hours – aka Don't let “Mr. Grumpy Gills” come out (he would the following day, I assure you)
grumpygills.jpg
Stay awake. Ride everything. Enjoy every single moment. What better way then start with one of my favorite rides (okay most everything at Magic Kingdom is my favorite ride)... SPACE MOUNTAIN! I think it was wise to pick it because it freed up a FP for later on (I will post my strategy, tips and final thoughts in a later post), not to mention it is one of the best wake up calls at Disney World. Nothing beats being hurled around in the dark with the wind rushing through your hair quite like a ride through Space.

DSC08026 (2) (1024x604).jpg
Command Center for the 24 Hour Event

Once getting off of the ride, I was already faced with making a tough decision. After getting back outside, I notice that the morning sky looked really “flat”. I probably should have noted this earlier but I like to pretend that one of my hobbies is photography. I usually don't pick up my camera unless I am at Disney which means I am perpetually rusty and constantly clueless about how photography works. Regardless, I like doing it because it is an expressive way to remember things I wouldn't normally.

Anywho, I could try to stick to the plan for the day or due to a lackluster sky I could try to knock out more of the rides. But as a “photographer” I originally set out to take photographs for this day in particular and I wanted to stick to it. So after Space Mountain, I headed over to the spot that I knew where I would find my fellow hobbyists. On the way I took this one and cranked up the photo editing...

DSC08043 (2) (1024x575).jpg
Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I will probably say this several more times for the 24 hour event, but as I was walking around that morning (all day, really), I just had the biggest grin on my face seeing all the passionate Disney fans out with their costumes, living up the moment and just sharing in our joy for the day. Everywhere you looked, there were people in full costume (those people get some mad crazy props for braving the heat that day) and people like me who Disney bound for the day (my outfit can be seen below).

But I slowly made my way across the hub, stopping in front of Cinderella Castle, looking up, and getting misty eyed like I always do when I gaze up at it and reflect on its significance for me. Not only is it a glorious reminder of Walt's dedication to following his own dream, but it is a reminder of mine as well. I will never get tired of looking at the castle!

Finally, I made it to the photo destination, not entirely surprised that a dozen true photographers were already there on the bridge in front of Sleepy Hollow waiting for that desirous shot of the sunrise behind the castle. Again, the sky wasn't great that morning and I don't think any of us held much hope for some big puffy clouds to magically appear to enhance our shots...

DSC08094 (2) (575x1024).jpg
Wrong Settings

But trying to stick with my goal of staying positive and enjoying the moment, I stuck around. Again, I know very little about photography and even less about sunrises (I am usually going to bed a few hours before, so I just trust that the sun will get up before I do), so it felt like an eternity to wait for something to happen. To pass the time, I loved overhearing comments from passersby:
  • “It's just the side of a building, who cares.”
  • “There are probably some ducks down there.”
  • “Who wants to watch a sunrise?”
  • “Those people must know something we don't know.”
  • (to Frozen's Do You Want to Build a Snowman? Tune) “Do you wanna take my picture. Okay byyyyyeeee.”
  • “That's going to be a really cool shot.”
Unfortunately, like all the other photos, I had to really up the editing to get this one to come to life, the real thing was “thus far a rather uninspiring thing”. But this is what I had envisioned it could have looked like...
DSC08106 (2) (575x1024).jpg
DSC08118 (2) (1024x606).jpg
I suppose those will have to do, because shortly after enjoying watching the sunrise over the castle, I decided to nix my next few plans and made my way back to Main Street to soak up more of the atmosphere there. By chance, I bumped into one of my favorite shows at Disney

DSC08156 (2) (1024x575).jpg
DSC08167 (2) (1024x575).jpgThere is just something about the old-time melody harking back to a more simple time that I really appreciate. I must admit that I am not big a fan of musicals and what not (slowly becoming a convert though!), but I just love this little show. It always brings a smile to my face as I see how passionate the performers are about theirs. I love that you can pick up on every little expression because you are only a few feet away from them. I also loved the fact that their attire changes with the seasons. I would have assumed this point because before that day, I only made Aug. and Sept. trips and really liked their Autumn color scheme then, but these were just as wonderful! It is just a good time all around. If you have never stopped for this show, you should really check it out!

After this I stored the camera away, put my hands in my pocket and just strolled around Main Street U.S.A. for a little bit. I could have crammed in a ride before my ADR but that show put me in the mood to just relax a bit. I knew there would be time for chaos later on. I peeked my head in a few shops and window-gazed for a bit before heading over to Crystal Palace for breakfast with Pooh and his friends....

Last edited:
Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

Thanks Nohal! I am currently battling a cold and restrictions on the Boards (can only post 10 pics in a post). But I hope to have the 24 hour event completed by the end of the weekend, with the rest of the trip completed in the near future. Thanks for following along! :thumbsup2

...people like me who Disney bound for the day (my outfit can be seen below)

Did I miss the pic?? Excellent update, by the way - was happy to see it!! Beautiful photos!! Thanks for sharing… can't wait to see more!

...people like me who Disney bound for the day (my outfit can be seen below)

Did I miss the pic?? Excellent update, by the way - was happy to see it!! Beautiful photos!! Thanks for sharing… can't wait to see more!

You are more observant than I am! :D I am limited to 10 pics per post, so I had to edit out the breakfast bit and must have missed that line. The pic will be included in the next post coming up later tonight!

I was just trying to build suspense..... :P haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter