Thanks for the Memories DVC

N

Niagara2

This week we buried my dear Father in Law. He has been slowing down the last 18 months and was really sick the last two weeks. My father died when I was 6 and this great man helped to fill that void. He helped watch the kids the first three years of their lives while we worked. He attended all the swim classes, baseball games, special events etc. until just last month for our 6 and 7 year old. Up until two years ago I had a hard time keeping up with Dad.
In 1996 we bought DVC. The hugh rooms and living arangements allowed us to bring family with us. Dad came at least once a year with us. I remember when Dad and Mom couldn't quite find their way on the busses from OKW to Poly for Sunday services...first sign, then Dad tripped one day on the way to pool. I also remember the smile when Dad went through Carasosel of Progress..such memories of growing up. I remember riding BTMR with Mom at age 78 in January. I remember sitting on the porch at OKW while the little ones were asleep and Dad told stories of growing up while we watched the fireworks from Epcot. Last January was the last trip that we all had together at DVC. We rented a GV with 12 of us having a great time together. We have DVC for 40 plus more years....alot more time to enjoy each other and make more memories.
If it wasn't for DVC I am sure that we would never of had these wonderful trips together. We had great times together with Dad, and nothing made him happier than seeing all of us happy and together at Disney. Thanks for these opportunities DVC!;)

Please accept our deepest condolences. In sad times try to reflect back to the special times with him and always carry him in your heart for future visits.

Respectfully,
Andrea & Steve

Our deepest condolences to you and your family on the loss of your father-in-law. He sounds like a wonderful man. Glad you have the wonderful memories to help you through.

Thanks for sharing. He sounds like a wonderful man, and also a well appreciated and loved family member. I'm so glad you were able to have good times together. You are so right- thank you DVC! (Of course, you forgot to thank yourself, I bet, for being so caring.... but you obviously are.)

Sue

My sympathy in your loss. But, my agreement that many happy family memories really are made at DVC.

My deepest condolences on the loss of your father-in-law. I want to take my parents to OKW with us and by just listening to your story is putting that on a priority list for me!!!

Glad to hear you have wonderful memories

You have my deepest sympathy, and understanding. We saw "grandpa" every day(we bought the house next door to my husband's parents) , and I did not realize how precious those days were until he was gone. Our 4 children were quite young, but they still talk of him almost daily, and it has been 3 years.

my sympathy to you and your family. he will continue to live in all the fond memories you share.

Wow, I could cry.:( I'm sorry he's gone. He sounds like he was the best grandfather.

What a wonderful tribute to your father-in-law. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories.

How nice that you can relive those memories with every DVC visit.

My sympathies also for your loss.

Your message is a deep one and should help us all keep the proper perspective on DVC....ultimately it is a means to having wonderful vacations. Vacations that build memories and cherished moments.

Thank you for sharing with us. You are in our prayers.

Niagara - My sincere condolences on the loss of your wonderful father-in-law. Your "memory" message becomes quite personal to me as my mom was just diagnosed with incurable liver cancer. I, too, am happy for the memories I will always have. We also had a GV in Sept. 2000 to celebrate the millenium with the family and it was just great. We are lucky to have had the foresight to buy into DVC - we will always have our memories. Thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of grief.

Gail

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your father-in-law. Thank you for reminding us to treasure each day and to savor all the little things that make our lives so special. I hope DVC provides us with the same kind of great memories.

My prayers and thoughts are with you, your husband and your family. Your memories will be treasures that you will hold dear for the rest of your life. How wonderful that you had the opportunity to share DVC with your FIL! There's nothing better than watching the joy that grandparents and grandchildren have together enjoying each other.

I understand what you are going through as I lost my father this past January and almost lost my father-in-law this past summer. While I have many Disney memories with my father, my kids weren't able to share that joy with Grandpa as our DVC family get together wasn't scheduled to happen until this summer. Something we ended up cancelling do because of my FIL illness. A family time that I know that I will regret for years to come (thankfully they have loads of other memories of Grandpa though). We're already planning a trip to occur next spring when my FIL is strong enough.

As we experience things like this in our life and country, may we all remember where our priorities should be and hold those dear to us close to our hearts.

The image of you and your "Dad" sitting on the porch at OKW gave me a warm feeling. He must have had so many special moments in his life, including that one. God bless.

What a beautiful tribute to your father-in-law. A few months ago, as I was looking thru a few of our BWV vacation pictures, it occurred to me too that these are precious memories we're making. We never would have been able to afford to bring my parents, and now dh's mom along with us to Disney if not for DVC. Thanks so much for the post - I think it made us all pause a moment and count our blessings.

Your story really touched me and the importance of family vacations. Your family will be in our prayers now that God has welcomed him home.

Bill

My sympathies for your loss. I can understand what you are going through as my father has been in hospital the last two weeks and it was very critical at one point.

It's good to hear that you have great memories, I can still remember my first trip to WDW in '74 with my mother, she always meant to return and bring my father but it never happened.
Hopefully I will be able to take my parents in law to DLP one day.

These things teach us to live life to the fullest. I think your father in law did.

JJ Penguin

Our deepest sympathies on the loss of your dear FIL. Your love for him, and his for your family, shines through in your beautiful tribute. Life is precious, so glad you all had the opportunity to build such happy memories together. Take care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter