• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about birkenstocks

minnieandmickey

Queen of the run on sentence!
I just ordered a pair off of QVC and am hoping to wear them this October at WDW. They are the 3 strap, but do not have a back strap.
Will these be comfortable enough? Tell me why you do or don't like birkenstock.

Gosh, it has been awhile since I had a pair, but they were pretty comfortable. I think they form to your feet? so I would wear them for a week or so before you go.

They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I would recommend wearing them for at least a month before you go-the sole of the shoe conforms to the shape of your foot. I bought my 1st pair off of QVC 2 years ago and ended up buying 2 more pairs that very year. I'm up to 6 pairs at this point-got to have them in every color-LOL! I've worn them to WDW and they have been comfortable. The only down side to them is if you go on a water ride or it rains, then the inside gets wet and you're walking around in wet shoes the rest of the day. Also, they're not supposed to be left out in direct sunlight-so don't leave them out by the pool.

I own a pair of Birks, the two-strap kind (no back strap), and they are indeed very comfortable sandals. They conform to the shape of your feet after you break them in, and they have great arch support. I've taken them to the beach many times, and they don't wear out easily (even if I leave them out in the sun). However, I've worn them while walking for long periods of time (not in WDW), and I found that my feet and ankles started to ache after a while. Maybe it's just me, but I like to have more overall support for my feet when I'm going to be on them all day! But of course, different strokes for different folks! Still, I would recommend taking an extra pair of sneakers or something, just in case.

I love Birks but I can't imagine them for the parks. I find that they STINK when they get wet and without a back strap they do not give enough support for that amount of walking. I have Merrell sandals for long periods of walking (though I find they start to rub when wet).

I have a pair of the three strap birkies and love them. However like delikado I can't wear them for long periods in the park. My lower legs start to ache if I walk to far in them. I do wear them for short periods in the parks, say we are going for a couple of hours in the morning and then back to the hotel, and I am fine. I do wear my birkies at work and I am on my feet all day as a teacher and never have a problem. I think its the combination of asphalt and the many many miles you walk in the parks that do it to my legs.

I bought my first pair from QVC as well. You can't beat their today's special value on birkies. Glad I didn't know they were on today or I would have bought another pair. ;)

I love, love, love my birks.....I bought my first pair at the outlet in Orlando 5 years ago. they need to be re-soled, but other than that they are in great shape! I, too, bought another pair off QVC a few weeks ago and I think they will be great once I get them worn in :)

FWIW, if I think there is a chance I will be getting wet in the parks, I wear my tevas....the birks so not do well in water at all.

I kinda giggle every time I hear about Birkenstocks... There is a new Birkenstock store that opened at the mall. I over heard a gay guy saying that all the lesbians will be happy now. I have had a phobia from getting a pair thinking that people may wonder if I am or am not LOL I know these shoes are for EVERYONE but I still laugh everytime I hear or see a pair... Didn't mean to offend anyone just wanted to share a funny story

Lew

There are many other sandals that provide as good if not better support ecco comes to mind. Having said that, you should not really wear sandals in the parks. It would be too easy to get your feet squished in the crowds, stub your toes, have something drop on them, etc....

I love birks, the pair that I had up till the end of last summer totally fell apart on me, (I had them for about 9 years) I actually went to the store earlier today and got another pair, hoping to break them in before my trip in about a month. I wore my last pair to the parks and had no problems.

last summer I wore my Teva Circuit Leather 'walking sandals' almost every day. They were awesome. I read about them on this board last spring and had to try them out, though I'd never worn sandals before then. I'm getting mine out as it gets warm enough to wear them now so that I'll have them "re-broken-in" for our June trip. The best part about the Teva's is that they are pretty much waterproof. Yes, they get wet and need to dry out, but they don't get waterlogged.

I absolutely love my birkies! Thanks to QVC, I own 7 different pairs! I wear them day and night at the parks and have never had sore feet. They actually feel "cooler" in the warm weather instead of socks and tennies.

All I wear is Birks (don't worry DisneyBrat...I'm 100% heterosexual ;) ) and I wore them all day, everyday, during both my WDW trips. I was wearing clog style last trip b/c it was cooler and I was in jeans every day, but my first trip I wore sandals a couple of days. Actually last trip I bought a new pair on the way to the airport...put them on and wore them all day travelling and then to the parks that night :D Of course...I really love them and always wear them.

Watch out...they are addicting :D

Hello,

I have a couple of pair of Birks. I discovered them when I was pregnant with my first child. One of the best purchases I've ever made. They lasted 7 years. I couldn't go through my second pregnancy without buying a "New" pair.
One thing to remember and I think someone earlier may have talked about it....If they get wet, the leather never feels the same. Somehow once they get wet, the texture becomes stiff. They're still great. Depending on the color; if the straps get wet, it will stain your feet.

I wear mine for the occasional day at Disneyland. They've always been comfortable. But you do get the occasional person stepping on your foot. :( Oh well

I have one pair and they are sitting in the closet as we speak. Was NOT thrilled with these sandals, and they had a Back strap.:rolleyes:

I have to admit that I am not a Birk fan. But my foot is a little thin and they are just too wide. I am a big fan of Mephisto's and wear them all the time. I don't know if I would wear them all day walking around in WDW because the bottom of my feet hurt if I don't wear socks. How bizarre is that.

I have been wearing Birkinstocks for 15 years. I absolutely love them for every day wear, but I do not wear them for WDW trips. I find that if I do miles of walking in my Birks, they start rubbing on the bottoms of my feet. If you are doing WDW distances, I recommend a worn in pair of sneakers, or a pair of Tevas. I do bring my Birks to WDW, but only when going out for short periods.

I too am a Birkie convert due to the great prices on QVC (and the 30 day money back guarantee). I agree that you should thoroughly break them in before your trip or they will be very uncomfortable. Even broken in, I sometimes get a blister where the toe grip is if I wear them too many hours a day. I don't have any with back straps and they seem to stay on well. I also agree that they are not great in the rain and am considering whether I should get a pair of the plastic type (even though they don't conform to your feet) for our June trip. I think my plan will be to wear my reg birks in the a.m. and switch after our afternoon break to something else more suitable for the afternoon showers.

really killer Birkinstocks - that is what I like to say. The thought of them makes me laugh too, not sure why but I do know I won't even give them a try.

I just posted this on another forum:

I loved mine! I had two pairs (one got tossed since I wore them so much, and I think I accidentally donated the second pair)

You have to wear them a while so that they will form to your feet. I paid the $$ for the first pair at an actual Birkenstock shop, but found the 2nd pair at a second-hand store for $17 (barely used at all, they looked brand new, same size, different color than my original pair).

I wish I had them still, my feet could really use them (I'm 27 weeks pregnant and this heat is making them puff up!)

I really do want to buy another pair, I've seen some at Sam's Club for very reasonable prices, but they weren't the style I wanted (but I think I may just give in and get whatever style they have)

HTH!

By the way, I don't think I'd wear them to Disney, but I don't really have a specific reason...:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter