Talked to a CM friend....

Many of us said long ago that Disney was moving more towards on-line bookings. And I think they should have advanced more in that long ago.
That being said, they should make booking on-line more enticing. Now it is simply a gamble. If I was wanting to book I would be too leery now to do it on-line. $50 change fees -- non-refundable deposit. hmmm.....
there should be perks to entice guests to book on-line. Not barriers to deter them from doing so. :confused3

I also think that it will not decrease calls. We all know that their computer system isn't exactly accurate so how many of us are still going to call them to make sure the rate was lowered.

cobbler said:
I also think that it will not decrease calls. We all know that their computer system isn't exactly accurate so how many of us are still going to call them to make sure the rate was lowered.

I am still waiting on clarification on this particular point, but what I have been told so far is that this is a strickly online program. If you book online you will not be allowed to call CRO and have them access your reservation.

Sorry Sammie, unless they drastically change this program, there is no way I would use it. I'm a gambling man (heck I used to work in Atlantic City!), but I'll take the 15k+ I spend a year on Disney vacations and go elsewhere. I never bet on an unknown and that is exactly what this new program is. I have purchased AP's for every member of my family for the past 5 years. I've been traveling to WDW since I was 17. I'm 43 now. I spent a lot of money there.

johnnyr said:
Sorry Sammie, unless they drastically change this program, there is no way I would use it. I'm a gambling man (heck I used to work in Atlantic City!), but I'll take the 15k+ I spend a year on Disney vacations and go elsewhere. I never bet on an unknown and that is exactly what this new program is. I have purchased AP's for every member of my family for the past 5 years. I've been traveling to WDW since I was 17. I'm 43 now. I spent a lot of money there.

I understand completely. I just don't see the risk, my opinion only. Interesting side about the access to the member's webpage. Already on this forum, people who can not access the AP webpage because they don't have an AP are asking DISers to go check their dates for them and get them prices. ;)

Sammie said:
I thin this new program is geared more toward the guest who has AP's for everyone in the family and wants a good discount, plans ahead and is comfortable with the cancellation policy.
In several of your posts, you've mentioned that you think this is geared toward the guest who has APs for everyone in the family. Since currently the Best Rates program requires only one adult AP per room, I'm curious about that statement. Have you heard something you're not telling us, like that the next phase of this program will require everyone in the room to have an AP in order to book the room at a discount? I just find it curious that you've stated this so many times.... just wondering what's really behind the comment.

LisaS said:
In several of your posts, you've mentioned that you think this is geared toward the guest who has APs for everyone in the family. Since currently the Best Rates program requires only one adult AP per room, I'm curious about that statement. Have you heard something you're not telling us, like that the next phase of this program will require everyone in the room to have an AP in order to book the room at a discount? I just find it curious that you've stated this so many times.... just wondering what's really behind the comment.

Lisa, absolutely at this time I have nothing to support this. I just know that the orginial plan for Annual Pass would be that each member of the group visiting would have one. Disney never intended the AP to be a resort discount program. They intended to be a park admission program that provided perks for the guest that came back often.

The only reason I have stated that and I guess it was misleading is that Disney, and I have been told this, was not happy with the direction the AP user was leading them. Of one person buying one including a child's strickly to use once or even twice a year to get room discounts. I think the one AP per booking will remain at this time. For one thing it would be too hard to regulate by having to enter multiple pass numbers.

I do think most that will use this program, even though it not a requirement, will have APs for all family members.

Sammie said:
I am still waiting on clarification on this particular point, but what I have been told so far is that this is a strickly online program. If you book online you will not be allowed to call CRO and have them access your reservation.

When I booked my reservation yesterday the page that says "please wait... this may take a few moments" was up on my screen for 5 minutes and still the Mickey fireworks were indicating it was working. So, I went to my cc site to see if the deposit charge had been made and it had, so I called CRO. I told CM Irma that I had a confirmation of the deposit being charged but I had no reservation number. She put me on hold and somehow went and found my reservation. Apparently they can access the reservation, if necessary. That certainly made me feel better.

Would I call CRO to confirm that a lower rate had been applied to my reservation? Nope! I can view my reservation online now so I don't have to do that.

Hope that helps.

Sammie said:
I understand completely. I just don't see the risk, my opinion only. Interesting side about the access to the member's webpage. Already on this forum, people who can not access the AP webpage because they don't have an AP are asking DISers to go check their dates for them and get them prices. ;)

You also have people like me who do have an activated AP. I activated mine in January and used it in January and May. I'll also be using it again in Sept and Dec. However I CAN NOT get into the AP site. Since I've had my AP I've tried multiple times on my computer at home, as well as the one at work. I can't get in. I've called the passholder number several times and all they ever say is that the site is down alot. I've also read posts from other AP holders who can't get into the site. How are people like us supposed to book through this program?

aubriee said:
You also have people like me who do have an activated AP. I activated mine in January and used it in January and May. I'll also be using it again in Sept and Dec. However I CAN NOT get into the AP site. Since I've had my AP I've tried multiple times on my computer at home, as well as the one at work. I can't get in. I've called the passholder number several times and all they ever say is that the site is down alot. I've also read posts from other AP holders who can't get into the site. How are people like us supposed to book through this program?

Aubriee...

We installed Mozilla Firefox on our computer a few weeks ago and it is the only browser I can use to get into the AP site. You might want to give that a try. www.mozilla.org

chipscinderelly said:
In the end I think the AP Best Rates will probably beat the other AP rates and then everyone will be complaining that they didn't get the cheapest rate cause they couldn't book 120 days out or didn't want to give up a deposit.
I think this is getting to the crux of the issue. Previously, the people who had the fastest fingers got rewarded with the best rates. Now, it appears that the folks who are the most committed to WDW will get the best rates. I have a hard time understanding folks who indicate that they feel that that's not a smart move by Disney: Think about it.... who would you want to reward as a customer more?

bicker said:
I think this is getting to the crux of the issue. Previously, the people who had the fastest fingers got rewarded with the best rates. Now, it appears that the folks who are the most committed to WDW will get the best rates. I have a hard time understanding folks who indicate that they feel that that's not a smart move by Disney: Think about it.... who would you want to reward as a customer more?

You make very valid points and I can understand why you and others feel this is a good program....that is, those of you who CAN book 120 days in advance. I cannot, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And, just because I cannot book 120 days in advance and you can doesn't mean you are any more committed to WDW than I am. It simply means that my work situation is such that I can't plan way in advance. We MIGHT be able to book 3 months in advance, but it would be difficult to book any further out.

You're right this is the crux of the issue. I have NO problem with booking online and the "Best Rate Program" sounds good in one respect...we're guaranteed the best possible rate and if the rate goes down after we book, we automatically get the lower rate. No more chasing down codes. BUT, Disney is punishing folks like me who can't plan that far out. That's where I have a BIG ISSUE.

And, yes, I know...I know we can still book the old way. But, c'mon, by the time I book I'll betcha' the best rates will be gone by those lucky enough to be able to plan far in advance.

If they would take away the 120 days in advance thing, or even shorten it to 60 days...I would be absolutely thrilled with the program. oh, one more thing. I don't like the non-refundable deposit rule. It's a crap shoot. I don't want to plunk down one night's deposit that I WILL NOT get back in HOPES that I might get a discount. I love Vegas as much as the next person, but I'm not willing to take that gamble. If I KNOW I can get a discount on a deluxe room, then I will book deluxe. If I CANNOT get a discount on a deluxe room, I would book moderate. With this plan, it's totally up in the air and I can't take the chance.

Just my two cents worth...

PamNC

PNO4TE said:
Aubriee...

We installed Mozilla Firefox on our computer a few weeks ago and it is the only browser I can use to get into the AP site. You might want to give that a try. www.mozilla.org

Oh! you had me excited for awhile! I just downloaded Mozilla Foxfire, went to the site, but still can't get in. I also sent Disney an e-mail about some people's inability to get into the AP site, asking how are we supposed to access this new program of theirs. Thanks though!

aubriee said:
Oh! you had me excited for awhile! I just downloaded Mozilla Foxfire, went to the site, but still can't get in. I also sent Disney an e-mail about some people's inability to get into the AP site, asking how are we supposed to access this new program of theirs. Thanks though!
Can you be more specific about the problem you are having? Maybe some of us could be of some help if we knew a bit more about what's going on.

How far can you get? Can you get to the site: www.disneyworld.com/passholder ? Does the page come up where you enter your name and the numbers from your pass?

If you do see that page and can enter the AP info and click the Submit button, what happens next?

I just tried getting to the Passholders site and it took forever. Their system is very slow right now (11:06 am Eastern time) so you might want to try a bit later, but when you do try, please give us a bit more info about what's going on so that maybe someone here can help you out.

Edited to say: Once I did finally got into the site and made my way to the Best Rates page, I got a message saying the Booking Engine is down for maintenance, so right now is definitely not the best time to try to get into the site...

PamNC said:
BUT, Disney is punishing folks like me who can't plan that far out. That's where I have a BIG ISSUE.

And, yes, I know...I know we can still book the old way. But, c'mon, by the time I book I'll betcha' the best rates will be gone by those lucky enough to be able to plan far in advance.

PamNC

Like you said yourself, you can still book the old way - they are not punishing travelers who can't book that far in advance.

aubriee said:

I was having this problem....and I found out it was ME!! On the page where you put your info I had put my passholder number in and clicked the box that said save to this computer...well then I couldn't get in....I had put the entire 2005 for year when it should have been 05 only and where the month was I had a 3 instead of 03.....it took me forever to look at that and figure it out!! :eek: I know, I know.....

well, that's just it - we all don't know the full details yet. You can book the old way - there just may not be discounts available....which is always the case. We have been lucky and had discounts every year for a while now....

just because I cannot book 120 days in advance and you can doesn't mean you are any more committed to WDW than I am.
Well, it depends on "from who's perspective." In this case, your internal perspective and my internal perspective are both irrelevant. What matters is the impact on Disney. And for a company, those willing to commit earlier are more comitted that those who aren't. That basically reflects the time-value of money: The longer they have it, the longer they can rely on having it.

Disney is punishing folks like me who can't plan that far out.
No: They're rewarding those who can. BIG difference.

Only if enough people are willing to make this deal with Disney -- this deal which is, from Disney's perspective, a better deal for them. Either way, the same number of customers are satisfied, to the same extent. Let's go one step further, if we put aside the advantage Disney derives, shouldn't Disney be indifferent between which set of customers they please, given that there is only a limited supply?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter