Talk DVC with the Dis Dads

Can someone explain to me why I spend $5-6,000 per year going to Disney and yet I can't figure out how to buy DVC? I don't mind financing it (yes, I have read the boards that tell me this is the worst idea in the history of the world). I just can't seem to make the purchase.
We go every year and love Beach Club. We stayed at Coronado this trip and I missed the villas.
Someone please reason with me!!!

There are many reasons to go to WDW every year and not buy DVC. First, there is ummm. No that isn’t a reason. There is also, well, let me see. No, not that one either. Let me think....Sorry but try as I might, can’t find one.

You may want to start with a small contract and see how it goes from there. It may overcome any obstacles either self imposed or from outside sources (spouse maybe?) that are keeping you from pulling the trigger.

There are many reasons to go to WDW every year and not buy DVC. First, there is ummm. No that isn’t a reason. There is also, well, let me see. No, not that one either. Let me think....Sorry but try as I might, can’t find one.

You may want to start with a small contract and see how it goes from there. It may overcome any obstacles either self imposed or from outside sources (spouse maybe?) that are keeping you from pulling the trigger.

No no, spouse is all for it. We just want to make sure it is something we can afford down the road I think. Plus, we are renters and those around us think we should buy a house before buying DVC. Makes sense I think right? Right???

No no, spouse is all for it. We just want to make sure it is something we can afford down the road I think. Plus, we are renters and those around us think we should buy a house before buying DVC. Makes sense I think right? Right???

All kidding aside, only you and your wife can decide on your financial situation. When I bought, we had a house, two good not great incomes, and a child we could afford to make sure her needs were met. It was the right time for us.

DVC is not an investment but mostly a prepaid Disney vacation. We knew that we could pay our bills, live comfortably, and still have this luxury. We liked Disney, went a lot and planned on going often. My daughter and I still do. It is nice going to WDW and not have a hotel bill to be put on the credit card when we leave. We are hoping to go to Aulani next summer and one of the things that makes that trip affordable is the room is already paid for. Another thing you need to consider is the cost of dues.

If you are working toward a down payment on a house, you may want to put it off for a while. If you think you could swing it, the best way to start is with a small contract and go from there. You can always add on later.

Can someone explain to me why I spend $5-6,000 per year going to Disney and yet I can't figure out how to buy DVC? I don't mind financing it (yes, I have read the boards that tell me this is the worst idea in the history of the world). I just can't seem to make the purchase.
We go every year and love Beach Club. We stayed at Coronado this trip and I missed the villas.
Someone please reason with me!!!

The only thing with DVC is that it does not pay your tickets. So, if you spend $5000 on DVC, then you will still have to purchase tickets. Then, you still have your annual dues. But, once you are spending your vacation in the resort you want to be in every time, then it doesn't bother you as much. THe other thing with DVC is that we don't do the parks everyday. We enjoy a park one day and the resort other day, so you have options to save money on single tickets, non-exp, or AP depending on how many days you are going. We find that two week trips a year, parks 5 or 6 days, is wonderful for us.

You may try to purchase direct thru Disney, which will cost you more money per point and some have minimum buy in amounts. But, you could use your Disney Visa Card and purchase in quarterly installment and have no interest for three months. (and get reward dollars for your tickets)

Or, you can go thru resale market which is much cheaper, but you don't have financing option from above. We have bought contracts from both place. Or, if you need to finance, give yourself a year time frame and what extra payments would need to be made to pay it off. Thus, if you would spend $5000 this year on Disney vacation and $5000 on next year's Disney vacation, that is a $10,000 DVC contract, and while it took you a year to pay it off, you now own it free and clear. Good luck.

Ok, so we just got back from Kidani and I think the DW and I both see the larger appeal of DVC. I have a couple of questions off the top of my head I was hoping some of you guys could help with:

1). 160 is the minimum point purchase correct? Is the rate still $112 per point?

2). If you buy through Disney, can you use the points for cruises and non villa resort rooms?

3). How are Vero and Hilton Head?

Ok, so we just got back from Kidani and I think the DW and I both see the larger appeal of DVC. I have a couple of questions off the top of my head I was hoping some of you guys could help with:

1). 160 is the minimum point purchase correct? Is the rate still $112 per point?

2). If you buy through Disney, can you use the points for cruises and non villa resort rooms?

1) Not sure on the min. It may be less. They also run promotions with incentives occasionally. Lower point cost for a certain amount of points for example. Check with a DVC guide to see if they are running anything.

2) Yes. If you buy resale, you can't anymore. Using points at other than DVC resorts may not be worth the point cost versus what you can get for a cash rate.

3) Never stayed at HH but I like Vero. A different kind of vacation. It is right on the water and they have their "own" beach at the resort. Very relaxing. We use it to decompress from the world. Not a beach person (DD is) but relaxing by the pool reading a book is great. Staff are typical Disney CMs and really good.

Let me (and us) know if you have any other questions.

Not sure on the 160, but they have been willing to split contracts (2- 80 pt contracts), which may easier for resale or future gifts to children. As for the cruises, yes, but you also have to pay an exchange rate. From everyone I talked to, DVC points are not a good exchange for cruises. I booked my 2013 cruise when it first opened for booking at 2700 for us 4. You can use them at non villa rooms, but there is also a fee and the exchange rate is not good. Really, the best use of DVC points is at the DVC resorts.

Vero is a terrific beach resort, better than anything I stayed in at Panama City Beach or Ft. Lauderdale. I'm trying HHI for Spring Break, but couldn't get a studio for summer stay, their busiest time. Vero was right on the beach, with lots of activities and turtles for children.

Honestly Dave, I'd love a DVC purchase referral from you or anyone, but my plan is to purchase thru resale, which I used Timeshare Store. I also bought thru Disney. Disney is way more convenient, but resale is cheaper. You do have to secure your own financing or they may offer thru their own lender if you don't go thru Disney. I only plan to use our DVC points at DVC resorts. If you do plan on going thru Disney, you may want to wait closer to your next trip. That way, you can save your purchase until later, and one of the perks in going thru Disney is they will get you a reservation when you make a new purchase. Then, you aren't paying now for a vacation later.

When I am looking at points for sale I see Animal Kingdom, but not Kidani. Is Kidani groped under AKL?

Not sure on the 160, but they have been willing to split contracts (2- 80 pt contracts), which may easier for resale or future gifts to children. As for the cruises, yes, but you also have to pay an exchange rate. From everyone I talked to, DVC points are not a good exchange for cruises. I booked my 2013 cruise when it first opened for booking at 2700 for us 4. You can use them at non villa rooms, but there is also a fee and the exchange rate is not good. Really, the best use of DVC points is at the DVC resorts.

Vero is a terrific beach resort, better than anything I stayed in at Panama City Beach or Ft. Lauderdale. I'm trying HHI for Spring Break, but couldn't get a studio for summer stay, their busiest time. Vero was right on the beach, with lots of activities and turtles for children.

Honestly Dave, I'd love a DVC purchase referral from you or anyone, but my plan is to purchase thru resale, which I used Timeshare Store. I also bought thru Disney. Disney is way more convenient, but resale is cheaper. You do have to secure your own financing or they may offer thru their own lender if you don't go thru Disney. I only plan to use our DVC points at DVC resorts. If you do plan on going thru Disney, you may want to wait closer to your next trip. That way, you can save your purchase until later, and one of the perks in going thru Disney is they will get you a reservation when you make a new purchase. Then, you aren't paying now for a vacation later.

So you have purchased through Timeshare before? That is who I would probably look at since they have some pretty good pricing on some of the contracts.

So you have purchased through Timeshare before? That is who I would probably look at since they have some pretty good pricing on some of the contracts.

Yes, our first contract was at SSR through the TimeShare store. Then, we did a BLT add on through Disney. With the Timeshare store, you have to wait to see if Right of First Refusal is exercised by Disney. Some have reported not making it thru, but I think TSS advises people on what they think Disney will except, and that is why you see the prices the way they are. We had to wait quite a while, as we picked a contract that had a pending vacation, and thus, we could not close until it finished. This, however, worked well for us as we put down the deposit but then did not have to close until much later, closer to our next vacation. The downside was that we only had a few months before our vacation when we closed, and since we did not go thru Disney, we could not get a studio and had to stay in a 1 br (darn the luck). The whole process started in October and we didn't close until December and did not get accepted until January.

When we bought thru Disney, the points were in our account later that day before we ever had a contract. Our sales guy offered to book us a room, but we already had something booked, and we bought our add on later in the year, which allowed us to bank our points forward. It was so smooth.

In both cases, they mail you all the paperwork and you will have to make photocopies of stuff and have the paperwork notarized. They both offer financing, with Disney providing their own in house which does not go on your credit report. TSS partners with a bank and will make a referral for you. You can always go finance through whoever you want or pay outright. We did finance, and then paid it off a few months later, stupidly becuase I was afraid to send them a large lump sum. (Dave Ramsey's stupid tax.)

Anyway, I had a great experience through TSS and would go thru them again. The pros is the lower resale amount. The con is waiting for everything to go thru. Also, with resale, you have the chance to pick your UY. It has never been a big deal for us, but if your vacation may change, then you may need to consider. They advise that you don't vacation in the last 4 months of your use year, as if you needed to cancel your vacation, you could simply unbook and then bank your points forward to next UY. If you are within the last 4 months, you cannot do that. Then, you may cancel (no fee), but your points become "holding points", which you cannot bank, transfer, and must use by the end of your UY.

Our UY is June and we still vacation in April for our Spring Break and it is not a big deal. We originally picked June as we thought we would only vacation in October (Fall Break). Then, you can get a new contract with a new UY and transfer points ..blah, blah, blah, but I just left it alone. Besides, once children are old enough, I would like to go in December or January. I posted Vero pics on main thread.

We know we are going to WDW at least once per year (or more) for a vacation and stay at a DVC resort. So, resale was the way to go for us. If I can find another BLT contract through TSS with June UY for another 50 to 100 points, I will buy it thru them. Or, I may have to buy through Disney if they are getting close to being sold out, but I'll pay a lot more. I'm considering a OKW 2057 expiration contract if I could find the right deal.

Good luck with your decision.

1. 160 is still the minimum to purchase direct - though there are a few instances from time to time where they lower it (special promos, etc) but nothing to be counted on. They have been known to allow initial purchase contracts down into 80/80 or 100/60 - but again, nothing to be counted on. That is a case-by-case decision, not a blanket guarantee. But it never hurts to ask. The prices per point are different based on the resorts. For the most current pricing information, check DVCNews.com - but most are at $120 or higher. BLT is around $150 pp, and Aulani, Grand Cal & Animal Kingdom are all between $120 - $135 pp. Buying resale will save you money, but you won't have the same full use of your points as you do if you buy direct - for the trading out purposes such as the cruises, and Disney collection resorts.

2. If you buy direct through Disney, your points can be used for anything - cruises, Disney collection resorts, etc (until they decide to take that ability away - which is a possibility at any time - it is up to their own discretion, as they maintain that right throughout the life of the contract).

3. Vero is a very nice resort... I just stayed there this week. I'm looking forward to taking the family there. It is right on the coast, and has a nice private beach area. Pool, hot tub, tennis court, miniature golf course, bikes to rent, etc, etc. It is pretty much within a residential area - so not a whole lot around it - but not too far of a drive from other "stuff". I've only stayed there this one time, so I'm definitely not an expert on it. It seems like a nice enough stand alone vacation, or an add-on to a WDW vacation. It's only about an hour & 45 min from WDW. I'll be at Hilton Head after my cruise too - before heading home to Indiana. I can't really speak that resort yet.

When I am looking at points for sale I see Animal Kingdom, but not Kidani. Is Kidani groped under AKL?

Kidani IS DVC at Animal Kingdom Lodge (even though a few DVC rooms exist at Jambo House).

Yes, Kidani Village is entirely DVC villas. The 5th Floor at Jambo House was converted to DVC villas when they first decided to add a DVC component to AKL, along with several 6th floor rooms. As mentioned previously, the layout of the villas at Jambo House is slightly different than those found in Kidani - in that the 1 BR's only have 1 bathroom, and the configuration is different. The Grand Villas as Jambo are also single level (with a pool table) vs. two-story (with no pool table) over at Kidani. Since you just stayed at Kidani in a 2 BR, you know what the living room / kitchen area is like. Jambo's 1 & 2 BR kitchens are larger - shaped differently too - instead of the smaller ones in Kidani - since there is no extra bathroom right there at the front like at Kidani. The Jambo kitchen basically takes up all of the space for both features over in Kidani.

I sent off for the brochures and details this past weekend, and Karen from Disney just called me on my cell to let me know that FedEx delivered it to my porch this morning...

I swore to my myself that I was just looking... But, for some reason, I just spent a half hour going over my finances in my head... I wonder if I could just have my paycheck sent straight to the Mouse?

There are a few of us who are DVC members. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

1. 160 is still the minimum to purchase direct - though there are a few instances from time to time where they lower it (special promos, etc) but nothing to be counted on. They have been known to allow initial purchase contracts down into 80/80 or 100/60 - but again, nothing to be counted on. That is a case-by-case decision, not a blanket guarantee. But it never hurts to ask. The prices per point are different based on the resorts. For the most current pricing information, check DVCNews.com - but most are at $120 or higher. BLT is around $150 pp, and Aulani, Grand Cal & Animal Kingdom are all between $120 - $135 pp. Buying resale will save you money, but you won't have the same full use of your points as you do if you buy direct - for the trading out purposes such as the cruises, and Disney collection resorts.

Just getting caught up on this thread guys, but wanted to chime in and let everyone know that they lowered the minimum buy in to 100 points. Not sure when they did that exactly, but it was that way back in July when I bought in.

Just an fyi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter