Talk DVC with the Dis Dads

DisneyDadC

Dis Dad Member #187 Keep calm and Dole Whip
I figure I see others doing some threads so I thought I would throw this one in the mix. I know there is always some talk about DVC so we can have it here in one place now.

I will kick it off by saying, Yes I am a DVC owner.We own at SSSR.

I'm in! We're DVC with BLT as home resort! Love it!

We own at SSR (2008) and BLT (2010). I enjoy being a member and do wish I had joined when we first started going with our children in 2005. If I can offer my $.02 (which is probably worth less), for whoever is considering DVC, selecting your home resort is the most important factor. There are lots of other things to consider, cost, financing, UY, resale, annual dues, ticket prices, etc. But, IMO, your home resort is key. Do you want a hotel style or resort style? Do you want to be near the parks or furthest away? Do you want near MK? Epcot/ DHS? Plan time to take the tour. We have stayed in all most all the WDW DVC resorts and am happy to answer any questions. Good luck in your planning.

I'm in on this one. We own at AKV, SSR, VGC and Aulani. We'd love to add on at VWL and even OKW... but those have to wait a while.

Here are a few links to each of the various DVC Resort specific threads.... in case anyone has specific questions about a specific resort or wants to dive deeper into their research about that particular resort and hear from other others outside of the DIS Dads.

Animal Kingdom Lodge: ***Official AKV Owners and Lovers Thread***
Aulani, Resort & Spa: Aulani Owners Thread - Aloha!
Bay Lake Tower: ***Bay Lake Tower Owner's Thread***
Beach Club Villas: "STORMIN THE BEACH" BCV Owners - and GROUPIES WELCOME HOME!
Boardwalk Villas: The I Love BWV (yes, Hallways and Clown Pool, too!)
Grand Californian:The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owner's & Lovers Group 2.0
Hilton Head: HHI Roll Call, Adoration & Information Thread 2010
Old Key West: OKW Lovers Thread !!!
Saratoga Springs: SSR Lovers & Owners Part 2
Vero Beach: Vero Beach Adoration 2010 Thread... We Need New 2011 Thread...Somebody?
Wilderness Lodge: VWL Lovers & Groupies Thread: Mees-ka, Mice-ka, MOOSE-kateers

I'm in on this one. We own at AKV, SSR, VGC and Aulani. We'd love to add on at VWL and even OKW... but those have to wait a while.

I knew you we're looking to add on at VWL. I really would like to add on there but DW wants BC or BWV. I see you bought at Aulani. Have a trip planned?

I knew you we're looking to add on at VWL. I really would like to add on there but DW wants BC or BWV. I see you bought at Aulani. Have a trip planned?

Not in the sense of having a reservation - but it is on the long-term calendar yes. We're looking at 2013. We only bought enough at this time to do the every 3 plan. Our first points will be this December which we'll bank, so with the borrowing, summer of 2013. But we're cool with that. The airfare every year would kill us, so every 3 is good until the kids are grown and gone.

I'm in, we own at BLT and have not stayed there yet. We just bought in last year and our first DVC trip will be in July. We will be staying at AKV Kidani.

non-DVC guy...but do allot of research on it.

Main hold out reason ---> Maintenance Fees.

NON-DVC guy here....but have DVC envy....

My wife is all for it which is a huge plus.

My main debate is - do I purchase a smaller point contract (i.e. 200 points at SSR) and only go over other year to the world (since we always go during high peak season due to mine and the DW's jobs.).

Or do I save money until I can afford that 400 point contact?

I definitely like the cost of the maintenance fees for the 200 pt contract better!

SSR is attractive for the resale cost...since it is less expensive. But I think we would really prefer either BLT or an EPCOT DVC resort.

Question for you DVC Dads....Are their any additional yearly fees besides the maintenance for your points? I.E. Taxes etc...

Trying to budget this out...to monthly payment and yearly expenses.

Thanks!

Question for you DVC Dads....Are their any additional yearly fees besides the maintenance for your points? I.E. Taxes etc...

Thanks!

Scott, the Annual Dues cover all maintenance costs and property taxes. The only additional fees you would be looking at are transportation costs, food (if you plan to eat), and entertainment (park tickets or whatever you choose to do while using your accomodations).

Another DVC owner checking in. We bought at Boardwalk the day it opened.

NON-DVC guy here....but have DVC envy....

My wife is all for it which is a huge plus.

My main debate is - do I purchase a smaller point contract (i.e. 200 points at SSR) and only go over other year to the world (since we always go during high peak season due to mine and the DW's jobs.).

Or do I save money until I can afford that 400 point contact?...

200 isn't a small contract. We first bought 250 points which we found was a good starting point. Spent a lot of time in Studios. We wanted more stays in 1 BRs so I added 50 more.

If you know you are going to buy and you think DVC works for you, I would take the 200 point plunge now. You can always add on smaller contracts. Besides, the one thing we have found is that point prices keep going up.

Dvc member here......we own @ SSR as well!!

woot..new home here!!

Another DVC owner checking in. We bought at Boardwalk the day it opened.

200 isn't a small contract. We first bought 250 points which we found was a good starting point. Spent a lot of time in Studios. We wanted more stays in 1 BRs so I added 50 more.

If you know you are going to buy and you think DVC works for you, I would take the 200 point plunge now. You can always add on smaller contracts. Besides, the one thing we have found is that point prices keep going up.

OK - so I hope I'm not taking over this thread - but I really feel an imminent DVC purchase coming....

Can someone who is a DVC member explain to me about the different membership perks...i.e. discounts on dining plan and park tickets or AP's?

And I'd love to hear from you guys about your favorite resorts...

Oh and has anyone actually bought a DVC without first touring it? I'm thinking that if I do this, I'm going to try to find a resale contract with some booked points to use for my vacation next year so I won't be privy to a tour prior to purchase.

Thanks guys and sorry again for the thread hijacking!

Thanks!

Scott, the Annual Dues cover all maintenance costs and property taxes. The only additional fees you would be looking at are transportation costs, food (if you plan to eat), and entertainment (park tickets or whatever you choose to do while using your accomodations).

not "emminent", but, I can see me slowly wearing down, so, your questions aren't JUST for you.
I'm not looking for tax advice per se, but,

If DVC is real estate, is it something you have to claim on your federal taxes at the end of the year, or is that also covered by maintenance fees?

(thanks)

not "emminent", but, I can see me slowly wearing down, so, your questions aren't JUST for you.
I'm not looking for tax advice per se, but,

If DVC is real estate, is it something you have to claim on your federal taxes at the end of the year, or is that also covered by maintenance fees?

(thanks)

For now, at least, if you take out a mortgage to finance your DVC purchase then the interest on that mortgage is tax deductible (as long as it's your only vacation home). If you don't take out a mortgage, I do not believe that DVC ownership has any federal tax consequences at all.

Can someone who is a DVC member explain to me about the different membership perks...i.e. discounts on dining plan and park tickets or AP's?

First of all - don't consider the purchase based on perks. Those can and do change frequently. They are not guaranteed at all - only being able to reserve accomodations based on availability.

BUT - since you asked - DVC members are eligible to purchase an AP at $100 off the regular price. This is a nice savings, if you plan on going back multiple times within the year's period - or plan on hitting the parks more than 10 days, since it will work out cheaper than a MWY-NE-10D ticket.

We can also purchase the Tables in Wonderland dining discount card at a $25 discount off the regular price - keep in mind this card is regularly only able to be purchased by Florida residents. The TIW will take 20% off the price of meals at many, many table service locations throughout WDW - and it's good on things like appetizers, alcoholic beverages, etc, etc. whereas the DDP is not. The TIW then automatically adds an 18% gratuity... but in the end, that 2% discount, not having to pay the Tip OOP, and being able to pick and choose what you want vs. what the DDP dictates you order... it's a good deal.

DVC members do not get a discount on the DDP for most of the year...though we do get a slight discount in the "peak" periods in that they do not tack on the "Peak Period Upcharge" as they do for everyone else.

Other kinds of discounts include some restaurants at 10-15%, some activities like mini golf, boating, golf, etc at various %'s off, and some shopping discounts... but again - they are various and fluctuating.

Oh and has anyone actually bought a DVC without first touring it? I'm thinking that if I do this, I'm going to try to find a resale contract with some booked points to use for my vacation next year so I won't be privy to a tour prior to purchase.

Thanks guys and sorry again for the thread hijacking!

We bought Aulani without viewing it! :rotfl: We also bought the Grand Californian without viewing the models first... if you are really wanting to see something, there are virtual tours available on DVC's website

And don't worry about the "hijacking"... this is exactly part of WHY Carl set this thread up in the first place. Helping you & others to get answers to your questions is a delight for all of us who have gone before you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!