Switch to Universal?

We originally booked Cabana Bay but recent reviews look pretty wretched...crazy long check in lines, dirtyness all over, non functioning things in the rooms. It seems to be universally crappy across all reviews.

Yes, that was partially our experience in June. (and was NOT true in 2019). I think they've really taken a hit with the pandemic shut down and loss of staff. It's sad as we loved the hotel, and I recommended it right up until we went back this year. We did see some of the issues people have been reporting - the room we were given when we checked in was not cleaned, the ice machine closest to our room was broken etc. I was really bummed as we had such positive memories from 2019. I'm hopeful as things come back and they can hire more people things will improve.

Yes, that was partially our experience in June. (and was NOT true in 2019). I think they've really taken a hit with the pandemic shut down and loss of staff. It's sad as we loved the hotel, and I recommended it right up until we went back this year. We did see some of the issues people have been reporting - the room we were given when we checked in was not cleaned, the ice machine closest to our room was broken etc. I was really bummed as we had such positive memories from 2019. I'm hopeful as things come back and they can hire more people things will improve.
I agree…I would imagine it will improve with staffing and it would’ve been our first choice! Hopefully we will get a chance to try it another time.

We currently have a trip to Disney planned the first part of November for 11 nights. With the slowdown of things opening there and the crazy long lines and staffing shortages there, we are thinking about moving our trip back to February and doing a Universal trip
Instead. Our kids are 11, 8, and 7. We would be getting a 5 day 3 park pass through our homeschool group and more than likely stay at Dockside for the 2 bedrooms and book a throwaway room for the Express Pass for 2 of the days. Can you sell me on one or the other? When would you rebook Disney to if we should switch to have a decent chance of at least things being open?
I know there is no predictability with COVID but since we haven’t been to Universal at all with kids and not Disney since 2016, need some guidance. This would probably be a final trip to Disney for us if that makes a difference.
We don’t really care one way or the other about COVID restrictions or lack there of as long as we aren’t wearing masks outside.
We go to and enjoy both. We do Disney a lot more, but we do go to Universal about every 2-3 years, especially when we're taking a year off of Disney, like this year. We're going to US in October and can't wait. haven't been since Nov, 2018. We've also been to WDW post Covid, and we had wonderful experiences. BUT our kids are older, they were 13 and 16 when we went back, and we don't miss a lot of the things that are yet back. Like we dont' do meet/greets, indoor shows, fireworks, shows like Fantasmic, many table service meals, etc, so not having that wasn't a big deal. BUT I totally get if one would miss all that, might want to postpone, especially if this is a final trip, or you dont' go often. We are going to WDW next June, so it wasn't too big of a deal to miss some things.
We're a family of 4, but a couple of times, I halfway planned for 5 in case my older son joined us. he didn't, but if I understood right, the premieres will allow 5, but there was an additional charge, and they provide rollaway? Not sure what policies are now. Totally recommend at least 1 night at premier hotel for the express pass. We're staying at RPH in Oct, and have enjoyed it in the past, but rooms are the smaller. HRH was great too. Haven't tried Portofino yet.
Happy planning! Universal is tons of fun, rather different kind of fun than Disney, but fun!!
Editing to add, I know we went at a busy holiday time in 2018, Thanksgiving, but US was still hopping. pretty crowded at time, and HP area packed, but still very, very fun and do-able, especially w Express.

Last edited:

I can't give super up to date experiences, but we've stayed at HRH, Porto, Sapphire, Aventura, and RP.

In truth, probably my favorite of all is Sapphire Falls. The atmosphere and décor were very relaxing. We like that the bathroom has a sliding door. the only it doesn't have is express Pass, and the rooms are traditional hotel rooms. We did a combo of walking and boats. Boats are quite frequent, but do get full.

Another option we liked near Universal are the hotels on Major Blvd. Specifically the Residence Inn, but I have heard nice things about other options in that area. The pool isn't exciting, but the hotel room is just about perfect, and they offer breakfast. The lobby is also attractive. During the pandemic, RI breakfast offerings aren't anything exciting, but they are included. It is walkable to US, but I'd say this is a better option if you'll have a car.

Aventura was kinda neat. We described it as very millennial. We had one of the rooms, I forget what they are called, but it has big picture windows. I'm not sure our view was super spectacular, but it was nice having big windows (with curtains at night). the room shape was slightly unusual, but not bad. room was at the far end of the hall, but it wasn't very far. We liked what we had in the food court. The pool is just basic. To get to the parks, we mostly walked. The walk isn't that bad. It is comparable to Portofino. Though when we did take the bus the wait wasn't very long.

Of the top tier hotels: Porto is the nicest, but the furthest walk. Hard Rock is close. HR is kinda fun, but loud. Also, the lobby has a strong fragrance! Food options aren't that great, but the hotel has a fun vibe. The pool is pretty good, and they have (or had) live music. That can be both a plus and a minus. Bonus of HR is the location. it is very close to the parks. Porto has Italian food. Over many years we've been visiting, food has varied. Long ago, it was amazing. more recently , it wasn't nearly as awesome. We sorta stuck to pizza/salads at the quick serve.

Royal Pacific is closer than Porto, but further than HR. Boats are also a good option. Universal's shuttle boats are better than WDW's. I liked the food options at RP. In the morning they had quick breakfast options in the lobby, and in the evening they had the Orchid lounge for sushi. (We haven't tried to their restaurants here.)

One reason to stay at the above onsite hotels is that you get to bypass the main security checkpoint and buses. Security is when you board the boat and along the walkway before you get to Citywalk. In the before times, the main security hub was fine. I have read it can sometimes be slow.

For dining, a favorite we like is Breadbox. It is nothing super exciting, but the sandwiches are decent, and the price is good for theme park food. We've also liked the Harry Potter quick serves in the parks. Finnegan's has some good pub options. Mythos is very good. We steer clear of the Simpson's food court, and some of the other fast food places in the parks.

My preference for non-EP hotel near Universal is the Drury Inn. You get free hot breakfast, hot dinner, soda machine and two alcohol drinks per day/per adult. Only for those that have a car. You save a ton of money that way. We have preferred passes that come with Early Entry. Particularly with 5 people, you might save enough on meals to pay for an upgrade to preferred passes. Also the hotel doesn't have parking fees and with preferred you don't pay for parking at the parks.

I can't give super up to date experiences, but we've stayed at HRH, Porto, Sapphire, Aventura, and RP.

In truth, probably my favorite of all is Sapphire Falls. The atmosphere and décor were very relaxing. We like that the bathroom has a sliding door. the only it doesn't have is express Pass, and the rooms are traditional hotel rooms. We did a combo of walking and boats. Boats are quite frequent, but do get full.

Another option we liked near Universal are the hotels on Major Blvd. Specifically the Residence Inn, but I have heard nice things about other options in that area. The pool isn't exciting, but the hotel room is just about perfect, and they offer breakfast. The lobby is also attractive. During the pandemic, RI breakfast offerings aren't anything exciting, but they are included. It is walkable to US, but I'd say this is a better option if you'll have a car.

Aventura was kinda neat. We described it as very millennial. We had one of the rooms, I forget what they are called, but it has big picture windows. I'm not sure our view was super spectacular, but it was nice having big windows (with curtains at night). the room shape was slightly unusual, but not bad. room was at the far end of the hall, but it wasn't very far. We liked what we had in the food court. The pool is just basic. To get to the parks, we mostly walked. The walk isn't that bad. It is comparable to Portofino. Though when we did take the bus the wait wasn't very long.

Of the top tier hotels: Porto is the nicest, but the furthest walk. Hard Rock is close. HR is kinda fun, but loud. Also, the lobby has a strong fragrance! Food options aren't that great, but the hotel has a fun vibe. The pool is pretty good, and they have (or had) live music. That can be both a plus and a minus. Bonus of HR is the location. it is very close to the parks. Porto has Italian food. Over many years we've been visiting, food has varied. Long ago, it was amazing. more recently , it wasn't nearly as awesome. We sorta stuck to pizza/salads at the quick serve.

Royal Pacific is closer than Porto, but further than HR. Boats are also a good option. Universal's shuttle boats are better than WDW's. I liked the food options at RP. In the morning they had quick breakfast options in the lobby, and in the evening they had the Orchid lounge for sushi. (We haven't tried to their restaurants here.)

One reason to stay at the above onsite hotels is that you get to bypass the main security checkpoint and buses. Security is when you board the boat and along the walkway before you get to Citywalk. In the before times, the main security hub was fine. I have read it can sometimes be slow.

For dining, a favorite we like is Breadbox. It is nothing super exciting, but the sandwiches are decent, and the price is good for theme park food. We've also liked the Harry Potter quick serves in the parks. Finnegan's has some good pub options. Mythos is very good. We steer clear of the Simpson's food court, and some of the other fast food places in the parks.
That is a really helpful overview, thanks!

We originally booked Cabana Bay but recent reviews look pretty wretched...crazy long check in lines, dirtyness all over, non functioning things in the rooms. It seems to be universally crappy across all reviews.
I have Cabana Bay booked through Costco Travel for mid-September, and am trying to figure out my options. I'm very nervous about Cabana Bay, but Royal Pacific would be $1500 more and not the budget trip I had planned. Sapphire Falls would be about $700 more. Is it worth that much more (a bit less than $150 more per day)?

I have Cabana Bay booked through Costco Travel for mid-September, and am trying to figure out my options. I'm very nervous about Cabana Bay, but Royal Pacific would be $1500 more and not the budget trip I had planned. Sapphire Falls would be about $700 more. Is it worth that much more (a bit less than $150 more per day)?

Have you looked at Aventura? What about Surfside/Dockside (admittedly they are the furthest away from the park but it felt like alllllll the busses were for those 2 hotels when we were there in June)

Have you looked at Aventura? What about Surfside/Dockside (admittedly they are the furthest away from the park but it felt like alllllll the busses were for those 2 hotels when we were there in June)

I noticed Costco had lowered their prices on Royal Pacific and called this afternoon. I was happy seeing it as $900 more, but somehow, I paid only about $115 more per night to switch to Royal Pacific. It's going to be smaller than the family suite at Cabana Bay but with much nicer beds and all the deluxe perks. Just no lazy river.

Ditto everyone on here! We did 3 universal days and 2 Disney days in July. Did Disney last August so already knew we didn’t want to spend much money there. I’ve heard about disney rides breaking down on people but never really experienced it until this trip. It was crazy! People mover broke down 4 times on us, haunted mansion stopped, no lie, about 20 times in one ride! We waited well over an hour for 7DMT only to be next to board and it break down right at park close on our last day. We barely saw any characters, the crowd was thick and lines were long. Universal had the same lines but we had so much more fun there! They had characters doing meet and greets, Hagrids is amazing and our new favorite ride, and dining was in better shape with all the citiwalk options bring right there. We did make reservations about a month in advance, and we’re glad because everything was full and our party of 15 was accommodated with a smile every time!
We spent one night at Aventura, which was fine. They weren’t doing pizza room delivery so we were annoyed about that but otherwise the hotel and room were great. Loved that you can text the front desk and get very quick responses. Would stay again, the walking distance was good and the path was nice. You can catch the boat next door at Sapphire Falls easily as well.
We are big Disney people but I’m considering a universal only trip in December. We are very disenchanted and annoyed with Disney and don’t plan to go back anything soon unless it’s for a school or cheer trip. Universal is our new fav!

I'm going in 30 days. My original plan was Disney for 5 days. They ticked me off with all of their cut backs and no give backs, so I cut it to 3 days and instead am doing 3 days at Universal. I also cancelled my reservation at Disney's Coronado Springs and am staying off-site for the first time. By doing that and shortening my Disney days, I saved so much money I was able to add a day onto my trip. I haven't been to Universal in 20 years. My 27-year-old son and I are Star Wars fans and, of course, he grew up on Harry Potter. After reading these comments, it only confirms I made the right decision. I'm super excited to visit Universal!

What days?

If you haven't purchased your tickets yet, you could save a lot by buying one annual pass and booking at the annual pass rate?

My kids loved the universal trip, I have to admit it was really hard seeing the Mickey light poles.
So we decided to do a party night and it was perfect

What days?

If you haven't purchased your tickets yet, you could save a lot by buying one annual pass and booking at the annual pass rate?
Actually, Costco Travel dropped their price mysteriously on Royal Pacific yesterday for only $575 more for the five nights. I jumped on it, and then it went right back up again today. If we decide to cancel and go in January instead (darn Delta numbers), we will look into season pass. The problem is we want the tickets with Volcano Bay. Otherwise it would be a no-brainer.

Actually, Costco Travel dropped their price mysteriously on Royal Pacific yesterday for only $575 more for the five nights. I jumped on it, and then it went right back up again today. If we decide to cancel and go in January instead (darn Delta numbers), we will look into season pass. The problem is we want the tickets with Volcano Bay. Otherwise it would be a no-brainer.

This isn't meant to be a political comment on vaccines or masks or anything else. With that said, Floridians have averaged over 50,000 people getting vaccinated per day for over a week. So that's good news. Maybe the numbers will start to drop, or at least level off, in Florida soon.

This isn't meant to be a political comment on vaccines or masks or anything else. With that said, Floridians have averaged over 50,000 people getting vaccinated per day for over a week. So that's good news. Maybe the numbers will start to drop, or at least level off, in Florida soon.

That is my hope and prayer. I booked a room for January just in case, and that stay would be a day longer, but I'd much rather get away in September. Plus it's my daughter's bday on the first full day of our September trip, and we have a special day planned. Fingers crossed.

We are HUGE Disney fans and have really visited Disney World exclusively over the last 15 years with my kids. We decided to shake things up this year and my daughter and I just got back from a Universal trip 3 days ago. I was totally impressed and liked it a LOT more than I thought I would. It was seriously awesome! We stayed at both Cabana Bay and Portofino. LOVED both of them. We thought Cabana Bay was far nicer and way more amenities than a Disney value... for almost half the price (we ended up getting AP and those rates are awesome!). Portofino stole our hearts though. We were so sad to check out. It's just incredibly beautiful and impresses at every turn. The staff at Portofino was top notch and treated us like royalty. Rooms were amazing. We had this fabulous view of the pool area out our big picturesque windows. The boat ride to and from the parks really was amazing. We had a scooter and they were super scooter friendly on the transportation. We're going back in a month. Can not wait!!

We'll still make trips to Disney, but Universal now has a pretty special place in our hearts <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter