Stupid names for a child

Why on earth do they not go by their names? Margaret and James?
My name does not have a nickname, which I hated, my oldest does as well, the next one’s nickname was used since birth and has only has one letter in common with his formal name, the third goes by one of many nicknames used for her name, the fourth goes by her name and not a couple of other nicknames, and the fifth a common nickname for his name. And I know a lot of Margaret’s who go by Peggy. Nicknames give options.

I think the trend to give names that are the first one or two letters, then an apostrophe, then the rest of the name, as in Di'Asia.
Not an uncommon practice in African-American communities, and not trendy at all. My little Godson, who is also my cousin and African-American, has an apostrophe in his first name.

I *just* read about a woman who named her son 'Spider.' The surname? Webb.

My oldest son is named Gus, named after my grandfather and great-grandfather. Hadn't heard of any kids named Gus in a long time, until my son got to kindergarten and there was another one.
My wife and I decided on naming rules very quickly, it had to be easily pronounceable and gender indicative.
Except Gus isn't really gender indicative. You don't run into very many female's named Gus these days but the same could have been said about male's 5-10 years ago

Another name I think is weird and I don't know how it is popular is Malcolm and whenever I hear the name Malcolm it brings to mind a banker's name or elderly man's name but ever since the TV series Malcolm In The Middle debuted baby boys started being named Malcolm as well. Another name that also is weird but isn't very popular is Jarvis and I cannot believe people would name a boy Jarvis because it sounds weird. The only time I heard of the name Jarvis was in The Avengers Age Of Ultron because that was Vision's name but if you ever name your son Jarvis you could probably call him Jarvee as a nickname

I worked in pre-K forever. We used to get Jimmy, Sam, Susie, etc... This year we have a Prosperity, Ka-el (yes supermans home planet - parents are big fans) Luqman (pronounced Luck-man) It's definitely fun to get the roster!

We ended up naming 3 out of the 4 kids non gender specific names not on purpose just liked the names. My youngest DD has an unusual spelling but has always gone by her nickname since birth. She has never had an issue with documents as she just uses her birth name. I have an unusual spelling of my name and people do mess it up alot. My name is often a nickname so teacher often wanted to call me by what they thought my name should be.

In a former job, I had a co worker tell me her daughter‘s names were:

Pronounced

Fee-mal-lee, spelled Female

Im-you-knee-k, spelled Iamunique

One time I was at the mall and overheard a parent referring to their kid (2-3 years old?) as Kylo Ren. I felt really bad for that kid.

Someone I went to college with named their son Clark Kent. First name Clark and middle name Kent.

When our youngest was born our middle child (3 at the time) wanted his new baby sister to have "Wonderland" as her middle name........her first name was Allison. We cracked up.

Heidi Schuh - pronounced "Hide da shoe"

Just looking at some of the names on this thread, you kinda get the impression that some parents just don't dive a damn about their kids emotional wellbeing...

There is also the issue of how names are pronounced. I work with Kindergartners. We had a little girl whose name was Jade, but they pronounced it High-Day. All her life she will be correcting people who mispronounce her name. We also had a little boy whose name was Arian, but they pronounced it Ah-dee-ahn. People are going to pronounced it as it looks. Then there is Alan, but they pronounced it Ah-Lon with the accent on the second syllable. So confusing.

There is also the issue of how names are pronounced. I work with Kindergartners. We had a little girl whose name was Jade, but they pronounced it High-Day. All her life she will be correcting people who mispronounce her name. We also had a little boy whose name was Arian, but they pronounced it Ah-dee-ahn. People are going to pronounced it as it looks. Then there is Alan, but they pronounced it Ah-Lon with the accent on the second syllable. So confusing.
Those may all be due to the parents' first language. I've known children named Jade and Arian/Arion pronounced similarly to how you wrote, and all were said correctly for their family's language (Jade's parents were from Central America and spoke a native dialect, for example.)

It may not always be obvious that English is not the family's first language. My sister grew up being told her name was spelled wrong, or being called different names. It's not; it's French. Unless someone was very close to our family, they wouldn't have known that my father's first language was a French dialect. Our teachers rarely knew. I'm sure some of them judged my parents for my sister's name. Not everyone chooses a spelling to stand out or be different- oftentimes, there is a cultural reason. Maybe that name or spelling means something to the parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter