Stroller for older kid

Sundowner2

Mouseketeer
My 9 year old has walked the last two Disney trips, but he's still struggling a month post covid with severe fatigue and weakness. For our upcoming trip, we are thinking we are going to need a stroller. We'd brought our own when he was smaller, but what size should we plan for? Does the single work or is that too small? I'm trying to figure out the budget. :)

How tall is he? I think that will be your biggest limiter. The jogging strollers probably have a more generous height/weight limit.

I'd also check in over on the disabilities forum, someone there might have suggestions.

How tall is he? I think that will be your biggest limiter. The jogging strollers probably have a more generous height/weight limit.

I'd also check in over on the disabilities forum, someone there might have suggestions.

Ahh!! I didn't think about height! That's how long it's been since we've used a stroller! I'll browse that forum too! Thank you!

Ahh!! I didn't think about height! That's how long it's been since we've used a stroller! I'll browse that forum too! Thank you!

I'd also see about getting the stroller tagged as a wheelchair, so that he doesn't need to get out of it in lines...but I think the DISabilities Forum will have much more experience in that area.

You might need a special needs stroller for higher height and weight limits. You can also get a tag from disability services (guest services) that will allow him to use it in line and treat it like a wheelchair.

You will have to check his height and weight against any stroller that you buy. There really are not many that can handle kids that size, I have really only seen special needs strollers and those are way too expensive for 1 trip. A wheelchair would be your next best option for it. I too am struggling with post covid fatigue and joint pain. My daughter and I are going in a few weeks and plan on just taking it really slow and stopping for more breaks.

Depending on his size, I'd strongly recommend looking into a wheelchair. Even if he "can" squeeze into a stroller, if his post-Covid symptoms include any joint or muscle pain, he could be pretty miserable in something not quite big enough to stretch. Good luck!

I have a Bob running stroller. It can hold up to 75 pounds (44 inches). If you could rent something like that, it might be good.

Poor guy. I hope he has a good trip. My youngest and my parents both had Covid last month. They are still struggling with lack of energy.

I know there are places that rent the Bob Revolution (weight limit 70 lbs). The issue is as they get taller, the canopy is in the way when closed. For now, our 6 year old fits in it with the canopy open. If you can test to see if he fits by height before renting one, I'd go with that. It's easy to push and easily goes on the Skyliner and monorail.

What does DS think about using a stroller? Most 9-yr-old boys I know would balk at the idea of using a stroller. He might prefer a pediatric wheelchair -- there are offsite vendors who rent the smaller size that would fit him more appropriately. Though yes there are special needs strollers that would fit him as well. Maybe check out Orlando Medical Rentals for some options and present those to your son for a choice. And tell him that just because you rent it doesn't mean he has to sit in it all day; feel free to park it and let him walk around some.

Have you thought about maybe moving your trip until he has recovered more? Is it going to make him happy to be there? Or is he going to have a lot of frustration about not feeling like himself yet? How is he going to feel in a wheelchair or stroller? Nine is old enough to lightly engage with some questions. Maybe he’d just prefer shorter days with breaks?

Maybe plan some longer fun adventure days close to home and see how he does. That might help you judge if now is good choice or if maybe it would be wise to delay Disney a bit.

We h
My 9 year old has walked the last two Disney trips, but he's still struggling a month post covid with severe fatigue and weakness. For our upcoming trip, we are thinking we are going to need a stroller. We'd brought our own when he was smaller, but what size should we plan for? Does the single work or is that too small? I'm trying to figure out the budget. :)

A macleran “push chair”. Its an umbrella stroller for big kids that goes to 110lbs. My kiddos have special needs but I scored it in craigslist years ago for $90. If you were close to Detroit- Id loan it to you :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter